• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Moveset wise the falchion is much better, but the blessed mace has its uses, like against enemies weak vs blunt attacks (such as the skeletons in 4-1). Obviously on a faith build it's better, but even there I'd still replace it with another blessed weapon as soon as possible, as the mace's moveset is kinda meh.

Edit: oops, missed the post above mine

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I feel the falchion probably suits me more, and the skeletons are mostly (at least for now) pretty easy to take out anyways, so will probably stick with that.

Btw, how do I upgrade the magical weapons? The standard upgrader doesnt seem like he can do it? Is there some other blacksmith I need to find? There was one in 2-1 if im not mistaken, is that the guy I need to go to?

Soulhouf

Btw, how do I upgrade the magical weapons? The standard upgrader doesnt seem like he can do it? Is there some other blacksmith I need to find? There was one in 2-1 if im not mistaken, is that the guy I need to go to?

Yes, Ed will upgrade that weapon with the darkmoon stones.
These stones are very easy to farm in 4-2 (kill the Grim Reaper) except the the perfect one which you can miss if the lizard doesn't drop it.

Morfeo

So i returned to the land of the demons this evening, and decided it was time to finally tackle 4-1, that stormy island. Now much stronger than before and with that mace (that worked fantastic against the skeletons btw, thanks for the tip!), I easily progressed to the red-eye dude guarding the boss room. After first firing a few arrows at him, I decided to run as hell, and wen to the upper floor where I continued to send arrows at him untill he also came up. I then went down, standed below him when he did his signature attack with both swords, and was able to hit him fast four times in the back which was enough to get rid of that guy for good. Awesome.

The boss Abjudicator reminded me a lot of the Buddha guy in Skyward Sword but ofcourse this guy was a lot harder. I started out on the upper floor, but got so weakened by his tongue even before I got in one attack, so I decided it would be better to move in close. There I managed to avoid damage and recover health thanks to my three regenerative items, but I didnt quite understand how to hit him, He somehow lost a bit of health anyways, so I guess some of my hits damaged him even though his head was out of reach for both the Mace and the Falchiion. So I decided it was once again time for the good old composite bow, but could never get a clear shot at him. I then progressed to the middle level, and was finally able to hit him with the bow - realizing how his health decreased dramaticly with only one hit. Unfortunaltely, now his tongue was back and taking a ton of life for each seemingly impossible-to-dodge hit, so I went back down and tried to hit him from there - which was difficult since it would always automaticaly target his stomach. I tried to move around abit down here, shooting arrows, and not really doing a ton of damage for a lot of time, spending about 25 healing items in the process, but eventually got distracted for a moment and died with him at about 1/3 of his health.

I then returned, died the same trick to the red-eyed dude, and now decided it was time for a pure melee and all out attack strategy since I saw how little health he actually had. I regained my souls, but died only seconds later lol, wiithout hitting him once, so I decided it was time to revert back to the arrows.

What I decided on my third try was to revert back to the middle floor, but continue to move all the time. I first found a way to move that assured he could never hit me, and continued to do that for a while just to learn his movement. I then decided the time to strike was when he was recovering from his tongue-attack, so even though I always moved and had no time to watch him, I could hear when his attack arrived, and then quickly targeted him and sent one (and only one) arrow into his head. This strategy actually worked so well that I didnt take a single hit during the entire battle! Making this the second boss fight after the Armored Spider I won without taking damage at all. What a fucking awesome game this is - and now I have 26k souls to spend which is a new record for me :)

Morfeo

Really? I could never hit him there? Anyways, he was pretty easy the way I finally managed to beat him as well, like I wrote, got zero damage doing it that way. On to Tower of Latria tomorrow I guess!

Really? I could never hit him there? Anyways, he was pretty easy the way I finally managed to beat him as well, like I wrote, got zero damage doing it that way. On to Tower of Latria tomorrow I guess!

if you hit the
cleaver fragment sticking out of his belly, he eventually falls over allowing you to wail on his head

Morfeo

Ok I just got invaded by a black phantom, got so stressed that I suicided lol. At least he didnt get the enjoyment of killing me.

So how exactly does this work? A black phantom is surely at a much higher level than me, is that balanced out in some way? Or would I just stand no chance against him no matter what?

Sullichin

Ok I just got invaded by a black phantom, got so stressed that I suicided lol. At least he didnt get the enjoyment of killing me.

So how exactly does this work? A black phantom is surely at a much higher level than me, is that balanced out in some way? Or would I just stand no chance against him no matter what?

Invaders are actually around your level (within 10% of your level +/- 10), and they are in soul form so they likely have less health than you. So if you're level 50 they can be up to 15 levels above you. So that's how it's balanced. But it's also possible to make a really strong dragon weapon at low levels, or stack magic buffs etc. Lots of ways for invaders to be nasty.

Morfeo

Ok awesome to know.

So got overburdened by all the stuff in Latria, so went back to the nexus to drop it, and then went to 1-1 to clean up a bit. Sucks that the knight only guarded a door that was locked :( And I tried to kill the red dragon, but it flied away when it was almost dead :( Ah back to Latria I guess.

Morfeo

Took out the angel or whatever she was in the church in Latria. Another really easy boss as long as I had enough arrows and took my time as she couldnt hit me behind the pillars at the end of the church. Anyways, I saw there was an item in the church right before the cutscene with the gargoyles transporting me up to some kind of tower - how do I get this? What is it? And will it be worthwhile to go back for?

Edit: I also saved Freke. Should I spend all my special souls with him, or is there something useful to spend them on later?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Took out the angel or whatever she was in the church in Latria. Another really easy boss as long as I had enough arrows and took my time as she couldnt hit me behind the pillars at the end of the church. Anyways, I saw there was an item in the church right before the cutscene with the gargoyles transporting me up to some kind of tower - how do I get this? What is it? And will it be worthwhile to go back for?
You can go back to get it. You have to skirt around the altar to avoid triggering the gargoyles cut scene. It's not a particularly good item though. It's the
Baby's Nail, a small dagger that causes plague but is otherwise really weak. Pretty useless to be honest.

Morfeo

You can go back to get it. You have to skirt around the altar to avoid triggering the gargoyles cut scene. It's not a particularly good item though. It's the
Baby's Nail, a small dagger that causes plague but is otherwise really weak. Pretty useless to be honest.

Thanks, then I dont care. Also, I had another question about the special souls above.

Soulhouf

It's a nasty weapon in PvP.

Morfeo

I will probably never do any PvP though, so thats not really an issue for me. Well choosen PvP that is - guess I have to get used to be invaded from time to time.

So I have now taken out all the primary stages of the five worlds, and the second of world 1. Will the game be dramatically more difficult from now on? Is there a particular place that i advised to go? What level is normal/recommended at this point?

Edit: Speaking of that, I just got invaded by some insane black phantom right now. Holy cow he might be at my level, but he is definitely at a completely other skill than I am :( Doesnt work to play it slow and steady as I use to with this guy - and its back to demon form again.

Edit 2: Seems I need to slay an Archdemon if I want to progress in Boletaria, whatever that means :(

Soriku

So I have now taken out all the primary stages of the five worlds, and the second of world 1. Will the game be dramatically more difficult from now on? Is there a particular place that i advised to go? What level is normal/recommended at this point?

Edit 2: Seems I need to slay an Archdemon if I want to progress in Boletaria, whatever that means :(

More difficult? Not really, no. Tackle them in any order you want. Just keep a steady progression of leveling up as you get a lot of souls and you'll be fine.

Archdemons are bosses in the third level of worlds. 1-3 is blocked till you beat one of them.

Sullichin

I will probably never do any PvP though, so thats not really an issue for me. Well choosen PvP that is - guess I have to get used to be invaded from time to time.

Edit: Speaking of that, I just got invaded by some insane black phantom right now. Holy cow he might be at my level, but he is definitely at a completely other skill than I am :( Doesnt work to play it slow and steady as I use to with this guy - and its back to demon form again.

I'm happy to hear people still seem to be invading with regularity.. makes me want to make a new invasion character :D

Re: Freke, he sells some good spells. Many of the boss souls can be used for different things - weapons, miracles, and spells - and unfortunately there's no way to really tell beforehand if the soul you are about to use can be used for something else unless you look it up. There's no way to get everything in a single playthrough, anyway. You can just type the name of the boss soul into the wiki to see what it could be used for. You can craft the lava bow for example with the boss soul from 2-1, or make two different fire spells.

Soul Ray is definitely worth getting, as it's the only thing you can craft with the boss soul from 3-1.

Re: play order, I like to visit either 2-2 or 4-2 as soon as possible because you can unlock -- vague spoilers --
a merchant in the nexus who sells the better healing grasses.

EasyMode

Thanks for that.

I beat it. Once I got the pattern down, I managed to stick with it. :D

Glad it worked out. Also to save you some potential frustration, consider doing the first stage of each world instead of trying to finish one world at a time. The game's difficulty curve is more gradual that way.

Morfeo

The Tower Knight was a piece of cake with the bow, and I'm sure other ranged attacks work the same way.

So I bought the Soul Ray and the Warden-spell after consulting a guide. Love Soul Ray, but didnt have enough magic spots to use warden for now. And I just killed my first crystal lizard! Does that mean that its either pure white or pure black world tendency? I dont really understand that system yet, but at least it was awesome to get some good chunks for crafting :)Doing 2-2 now, and have no idea where to go, but guess I will find out.

Edit: So im not really surprised that the lave hurts, but im really surprised that there was no special animation or anything else to say "u stand in the lava now and your health is depleting" lol. I didnt even realize i had a toe in it, and ofcourse I died as we always do in this game. Guess its only to start over :)

Morfeo

Got a Dragon Sword +1 which does much more regular damage than the Falchion and Mace, and also have fire-damage. Should I change? Doing 2-2 so fire-damage might not be what I need right now.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The dragon sword is a very good weapon, but not for world 2 since everything's resistant to fire. It also has no scaling, so if you use it, don't level up str or dex 'cause it'll be completely wasted.

Morfeo

The dragon sword is a very good weapon, but not for world 2 since everything's resistant to fire. It also has no scaling, so if you use it, don't level up str or dex 'cause it'll be completely wasted.

Yeah, I figured. So I now have four weapons I alternate between. The Dragonsword in world 5, the Mace in world 4, and the Falchion in world 2. Then alternate between Falchion and Dragonsword in world 1 and 3. And I have a Quality Compound Long Bow which I actually use the most. Im really becomming a "jack of all trades master of none" here, :) Really love my new Soul Ray as well, so guess I need to level up my intelligence a bit as well. Back to the Reaper!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Intelligence raises your MP and number of spell slots, not your magic power. The Magic stat is what you want to power up your Soul Ray.

Be careful of being a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none, this is usually not a good idea in the long run. What are your current stats?

Morfeo

I know its not a good idea, but its always to tempting, which is why I generally suck in rpg's :( I'll post my stats tomorrow, but I raised my intelligence to get more mana and space to the warden spell, not to increase the strength of them.

Morfeo

So here is my stats for now:

Vitality 25
Intelligence 15
Endurance 22
Strength 18
Dexterity 13
Magic 10
Faith 12
Luck 7

Level 42

I hope we do not need to spoiler tag a couple of year old game?

I recently finished this magnificent game for the first time and here are my thoughts:

The game is sogood.gif though. Best RPG I have ever played. The combat mechanics are genious. The level design - as repeated countless times above - is second to none, best in its class. Tower of Latria is the pinnacle, the epitome of level design and atmosphere. I have never experienced such a good level in my gaming life (even in Thief 2/ Deus Ex/ System Shock 2). Every single person that calls themself a "gamer" should play and finish Tower of Latria and the whole game of course.

This game does one thing right that NO OTHER 3D GAME in history did: scale. Everything is up to scale in Demon's Souls. The architecture looks *real*. Palaces are HUGE, Towers are TALL, Churches are VAST. Everything feels in its place, nothing, not a single chair or brazier or debris or cart is out of place.

World ratings!:

1) Tower of Latria - see above. Perfection of level design, perfection of ambience and atmosphere, perfection of flow. If I were to find one word to characterize this world it would be: oppresive. The whole level is against you - even the architecture itself. The moment you hear for the first time the pumping heart, the moment you look at it using the Telescope and then TRAVEL to it... these are the moments I will never forget. And the prison guards? God like. And the Arrow Firing Statue? God like. I will also never forget these parts:
- (3-1) when you are behind the statue you have to go upstairs on the two towers. Demon's Souls is the only game in existence where running upstairs in a spiral tower makes your heart almost pop out of your chest because of fear WHAT LIES AHEAD. Then - when you finally make it - you make a looooooong run inside the Cathedral on a very high walkway with lots of Gargoyle statues. Running there, in total silence and total blackness was an experience not found in other games.
- (3-2) entering the Swamps for the first time. I was flabbergasted, shellshocked and simply stunned by this part. Taking a cage elevator and going 100 meters down... hats off to From Software.

2) Boletarian Palace - I remember when I started DS some months ago, after I conquered the first boss (Phalanx) I thought I was leaving the Palace :rofl Literally, I thought the World 1-1 - which is basically only a fucking GATE to the Palace - was the whole Palace. Really an amazing level if you start at the bottom of 1-1 and go to the end of 1-5. And let us not forget the Dragons. I don't remember such devastating dragons in a RPG since Baldur's Gate 2.

3) Valley of Defilement - wow what a nasty, dark, damp and annoying place. I just wanted to get out of there as fast as I can. The atmosphere in here is only second to Tower of Latria. AND YOU CANT SEE SHIT. AND YOU ARE POISONED ALL THE TIME. Fun, fun, fun. In Latria everything is against you: the level and its enemies. Here, luckily, its only the level as enemies are piece of cake (even the Giant Trolls).

4) Stonefang Tunnel - a nice "maze"-like lava world. Going through the tunnels and not seeing SHIT before you was fun. In Latria you didn't see shit because it was pitch black. In Stonefang you don't see what's ahead of you because the tunnels are very cramped.

5) Shrine of Storms - too short, too grey. My personal disappointment is that you do not get to enter the huge tower in the middle of the level. Here's how I thought it would go: after 4-2 where you go to the deepest parts of the catacombs you should scale back up using a different route and face the Storm King on top of the Tower. I *so* thought this would happen instead you exit outside and kill him right away. Bah :( Best bosses in the game, though.

Boss ratings! (not difficulty but "favouriteness")

1) Adjudicator - amazing design of the boss, very fitting music. My first "hard" boss where I died a couple of times and then thought of a strategy (Soul Arrow above, run down, wait till he turns around, run back up, Soul Arrow above etc.) Just look at him:

adjudicatorcoan4.png

2) Old Hero - a great encounter - so satisfying to understand its weakness w/o any FAQs. Also the boss that killed me the most times. The Old Hero is a fierce and tragic being. Second in his misery only to the Maiden.

165680wnl04.png

3) Tower Knight - dat music. Dat design. The only boss you can run through BETWEEN his legs.

b19oayv9.jpg

4) Maiden Astraea - for many people on forums this is the best boss in the whole game. I thought about it and yes it is very impressive from a "impact on the player" point of view. Here is a great write up on the whole encounter and psychology of it:

http://www.snakelinksonic.com/2010/10/shattered-perversion-maiden-astraea.html

The music + setting + your whole trip here (a *literal* descend into impurity) makes for a very, very memorable boss fight.

5f51fe9b9d5cee6f85458hdz9x.jpg

5) Fool's Idol - I loved it. The Church setting and the desing of the boss (a beautiful woman vs the putrid shit you face in this level) gave it a very strong impact.

demon-s-souls-loading4sa6j.jpg

MUSIC TIME!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9piElENpvmM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zihSkliPxxA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQVbD3n1-fg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIAQY2xwXPc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQw1rPMn95E

tl;dr 11/10 game (if not a little too short). From Software outdid everyone with this game. A true open-ended RPG (you can go anywhere you want after the first hour) with music only during the boss fights.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Good write-up! Glad you enjoyed it so much. One of the best games ever, for sure.

Here, luckily, its only the level as enemies are piece of cake (even the Giant Trolls).
Hmm that's a first. Well here's a challenge for you: make the world tendency pure black, then go visit that island with all the Stones of Ephemeral Eyes, and then get back to me. :)

Hmm that's a first. Well here's a challenge for you: make the world tendency pure black, then go visit that island with all the Stones of Ephemeral Eyes, and then get back to me. :)

Oh I will for sure. I kited them in the first playthrough, one by one, to the next island and there just wasted'em with a fire weapon.

Here are my NG+ starting stats (Soul Form):

img_30506vsfk.jpg

And as someone said above it is definitely better to *not* be a jack of all trades (as I am) - you end up lacking in everything: Stamina, HP, Magic Power etc.

After finishing the game I took a look at YouTube and holy shit WR Speed Run is about 1 hour? It took me 70 hours to beat the game FFS. And of course there are SL1 runs :O

Tenrius

After finishing the game I took a look at YouTube and holy shit WR Speed Run is about 1 hour? It took me 70 hours to beat the game FFS. And of course there are SL1 runs :O

Wow. I beat it in about 40 and thought it was pretty slow. The first run of Dark Souls (which I played first) took me over 100 hours though, lol.

Morfeo

So Level 3-3 is seriously the biggest joke so far in this game. At least the scale and epicness of it all was nice even though the fight itself was really easy.

So after clearing Phalanx, Tower Knight, Armored Spider, Firelurker, Dragon God, Fools Idol, Abjudicator and Leechmonger, I must say that the bosses are generally way to easy. The only one I had some troubles with so far, was the Spider, and that was because at the time, I didnt have any ranged attacks. All the others have been beaten at either first try, or in the case of Abjudicator, third try. A bit disappointing imo.

So Level 3-3 is seriously the biggest joke so far in this game. At least the scale and epicness of it all was nice even though the fight itself was really easy.

So after clearing Phalanx, Tower Knight, Armored Spider, Firelurker, Dragon God, Fools Idol, Abjudicator and Leechmonger, I must say that the bosses are generally way to easy. The only one I had some troubles with so far, was the Spider, and that was because at the time, I didnt have any ranged attacks. All the others have been beaten at either first try, or in the case of Abjudicator, third try. A bit disappointing imo.

well the problem with world 3-3 is that a another player could become the boss of that level.
So sometime you get either the ai, a crappy player, or a good player.

anyway to me without using magic, Firelurker is a bitch to fight in ng+
and remember to do world 1-4 last ;)

Soulhouf

A good shield like the Purple Flame always trivialize that area.
The only time I had trouble fighting these trolls was when I did a SL1 run since I couldn't use a good shield.

The only very minor downside to this game is that the X-3 levels are a joke. When I bought the game and started playing it I went totally blind in it meaning I did not read a single FAQ/ video etc. before. So I always thought that you will get 5 levels in each world because when you use the Archstones to teleport to these worlds there is a space for exactly 5 "checkpoints" in the GUI. Imagine my surprise when I hit 5-3 (the first X-3 area I reached) and it was over in 5 minutes. And the whole Valley was done!

Disappointing. The same with Latria, Shrine of Storms and Stonefang. I was so ready to battle up a huge, Ivory tower in Latria 3-3 with many, many floors inside - think like Pharos in FF12. Instead I got one short set of stairs... bummer.

Toxi

Banned
1-4 (Which is world 1's equivalent to those X-3 levels) is pretty good though. I like how you have to get past the dragon and the spirits of Ostrava and the knights of Boletaria.

Although I'm a bit confused by one thing: There are three spirits, one wielding a bow, one wielding a tower shield and spear, and one wielding the Penetrator sword. Tower shield guy is obviously Tower Knight, sword guy is obviously Penetrator. Buy why does the last one have a bow? Phalanx didn't have a bow. I guess it did launch spears, but maybe I'm getting confused here.

Sullichin

1-4 (Which is world 1's equivalent to those X-3 levels) is pretty good though. I like how you have to get past the dragon and the spirits of Ostrava and the knights of Boletaria.

Although I'm a bit confused by one thing: There are three spirits, one wielding a bow, one wielding a tower shield and spear, and one wielding the Penetrator sword. Tower shield guy is obviously Tower Knight, sword guy is obviously Penetrator. Buy why does the last one have a bow? Phalanx didn't have a bow. I guess it did launch spears, but maybe I'm getting confused here.

The one with the tower shield is using Phalanx's scraping spear. I don't think the bow phantom is using any boss stuff.

Toxi

Banned
The one with the tower shield is using Phalanx's scraping spear. I don't think the bow phantom is using any boss stuff.
So then Tower Shield guy split into Phalanx and Tower Knight, while the one with a bow just kinda disappeared.

Now we're going to have to deal with a secret incredibly difficult bow-wielding boss when Demon's Souls is inevitably remade for the PS5.

Yeah great right up StoppedInTracks. Totally agree with you about the level designs, Latria and Boletaria are really two of the best areas in either game. The scale, atmosphere everything. Gah, I want to play again now!

neoemonk

I've found black phantoms to be tough not because of the level disparity but because most of them seem to be a hell of a lot better at PVP than me. Presumably this is practice, although historically I am bad against other humans in games.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Oh I will for sure. I kited them in the first playthrough, one by one, to the next island and there just wasted'em with a fire weapon.
Pfft ranged weapons are cheating. Try tackling them with pure melee. In the swamp. :D

Here are my NG+ starting stats (Soul Form):

http://abload.de/img/img_30506vsfk.jpg

And as someone said above it is definitely better to *not* be a jack of all trades (as I am) - you end up lacking in everything: Stamina, HP, Magic Power etc.
Good gods... yes, those stats are pretty much the worst thing you could have done except raising luck, lol. If you ever plan on PvPing, you have to re-roll for sure 'cause that's unsalvageable for PvP. 410 HP in NG+? Yikes...

You must have gotten the AI. Shame you didn't get another player, those are fun.

Ranged attacks generally most bosses a joke. But do tell us how that works for the Maneaters and the False King... ;)

I think Demon's Souls is way easier than Dark Souls though. Never understood those who said the reverse.

Man, New Game+ is no joke. I've done 1-1, 1-2, 3-1 and 5-1 already but I noticed that some encounters/ bosses that were not a problem before are a real pain in the ass now for example Adjudicator wrecked me and the Giant Trolls in 5-1 simply annihilate me in one blow. I had to drop Second Chance and use Warding for them because Second Chance = ok you survived one blow and revived but the next blow will kill you while Warding = ok you survived 4 blows but the next one will kill you. Mind you this is the first time I am using Warding ever (did not buy it in NG0) and holy shit is it a superb spell.

Good gods... yes, those stats are pretty much the worst thing you could have done except raising luck, lol. If you ever plan on PvPing, you have to re-roll for sure 'cause that's unsalvageable for PvP. 410 HP in NG+? Yikes...

I told you they are worthless :( That's playing without any FAQs/ forums for ya!

Oh and I raised Luck by 3 :(

NG+ is hard for me but doable see the post above. Mind you that 410 HP is w/o the Cling Ring... it goes up to 560 HP with it.

I think Demon's Souls is way easier than Dark Souls though. Never understood those who said the reverse.

I have yet to play Dark Souls so I need to confirm with you only one thing ok? Do you have the same system of checkpoints (Archstones) in Dark Souls as in Demon's? What I mean are "savepoints" again *AFTER* the bosses (which is the hardest part of Demon's for me)? Or are they like more common and found in the middle of some areas (midway to boss fights)?

Soulhouf

I told you they are worthless :( That's playing without any FAQs/ forums for ya!

Oh and I raised Luck by 3 :(

NG+ is hard for me but doable see the post above. Mind you that 410 HP is w/o the Cling Ring... it goes up to 560 HP with it.

I have yet to play Dark Souls so I need to confirm with you only one thing ok? Do you have the same system of checkpoints (Archstones) in Dark Souls as in Demon's? What I mean are "savepoints" again *AFTER* the bosses (which is the hardest part of Demon's for me)? Or are they like more common and found in the middle of some areas (midway to boss fights)?

Pick up the Purple Flame Shield and upgrade t to +10.
You'll be invincible in NG+ even with those stats.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Well I also did that and of course I wasted some stats too, but I still focused heavily on dex, vit and end, 'cause I wanted to hit harder without spreading myself too thin.

That's still supremely low, haha.

Dark Souls is a bit different, there isn't really a hub world like the Nexus with warp points to different areas. Every section is interconnected at some point, in a 3D Metroid fashion. The checkpoints are bonfires which are placed strategically across the world. Usually each area still has a shortcut from the bonfire to the boss (or if not, more than one bonfire between the very beginning of the section to the boss, but that depends on the size of the area). Most people prefer the bonfire system, though some preferred the Nexus. Personally I think both have their merits.

Top Bottom