• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Pick up the Purple Flame Shield and upgrade t to +10.
You'll be invincible in NG+ even with those stats.

Wow you weren't kidding. I swapped my trusty DSS from Garl to PFS and upgraded it to +4 (don't have more stones ATM). The difference in guard block is tremendous. Can't say why I wasn't using it before - probably I was encumbered. Now it's all good :)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The DSS can parry and block all magic attacks. It's also lighter and with lower strength requirements so for most builds it's the best shield. But there are few magic attacks in the game anyway. It's stupidly good for PvP though.

Deimo5

Man, New Game+ is no joke. I've done 1-1, 1-2, 3-1 and 5-1 already but I noticed that some encounters/ bosses that were not a problem before are a real pain in the ass now for example Adjudicator wrecked me and the Giant Trolls in 5-1 simply annihilate me in one blow. I had to drop Second Chance and use Warding for them because Second Chance = ok you survived one blow and revived but the next blow will kill you while Warding = ok you survived 4 blows but the next one will kill you. Mind you this is the first time I am using Warding ever (did not buy it in NG0) and holy shit is it a superb spell.

Adjudicator still seemed easy for me since his melee attack is like the slowest attack in the world, Flamelurker with melee was a pain though ha.

Sullichin

Adjudicator still seemed easy for me since his melee attack is like the slowest attack in the world, Flamelurker with melee was a pain though ha.

I love the flamelurker fight but I never found it to be hard. It's so easy to heal in that fight and the only attacks that will kill you in 1-2 hits are really easy to get away from.
Adjucator on the other hand.. his melee attack is slow as hell, but it can likely kill you in one hit. Sometimes I mess up dodging it and that's that. For me it's kind of hard to dodge BECAUSE it's so slow. Still a pretty easy fight, although it would be straight up mean if they put a hard boss at the end of 4-1.. if you don't use the shortcut of course.

Speaking of warding, I used it on the storm king on my SL1 run.. it really came in handy there.

cj_iwakura

I love the flamelurker fight but I never found it to be hard. It's so easy to heal in that fight and the only attacks that will kill you in 1-2 hits are really easy to get away from.
Adjucator on the other hand.. his melee attack is slow as hell, but it can likely kill you in one hit. Sometimes I mess up dodging it and that's that. For me it's kind of hard to dodge BECAUSE it's so slow. Still a pretty easy fight, although it would be straight up mean if they put a hard boss at the end of 4-1.. if you don't use the shortcut of course.

Speaking of warding, I used it on the storm king on my SL1 run.. it really came in handy there.

The hardest boss for SL1 was definitely The False King. Yikes, talk about a war of attrition. Thankfully there were two of us.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Doran wasn't difficult. It doesn't make difference SL1 or not. You die in one hit any way.
Parryed him to death as I always do.

Edit: you can't use the poison spell in SL1, can you?
Why couldn't you? I get not "allowing" it on "true" SL1 runs since it's kinda broken but you just memorize it...

hey gaf, i'm playing demon's souls right now and it's one of the most epic satisfying titles that I ever played.
I almost beat the game, but now I want that -stone trophies. That damn Pure Bladestone :(
Still can't find it, it's frustrating.
Also, I need Pure Mercurystone and marrowstone, but these seem far more easy to find.

Now, tips? Suggestions? I really don't know what to do.
Maybe I have to spend some souls in "luck"? I read online that this could make the bladestone drop even harder, so my "luck" it's still at level 7.

I have the US deluxe edition.

Essay

Been having a blast with this game so far, after starting it last week. Wish I had found this thread sooner so as to gush better in the moment. I can't really say I'm going in completely blind because I watched Quelaag's let's play of the game months ago on YouTube, but it's been a great outlet for these "Dark Souls fundamentals" that I have kicking around.

I originally figured I'd love the OP polearms (since I mostly rocked the Gargoyle's Halberd in DkS), so I started as a Temple Knight. I'm finding I don't like the animation as much as I thought I would though, so now I'm focusing on re-gearing to a Dex build with an offhand katana + whatever other weapon I end up taking a liking to.

I kind of initially lost myself alternating between Stonefang and the Shrine of Storms and came out with a Hiltless, Dragon Long Sword and a Lava Bow that seem to be carrying me forward pretty well. Last night, 1-3 posed a good challenge, but was definitely doable with this equipment, but 3-1 turned into a complete route, with me tearing through that boss before she even got started. I figure I should probably turn next to 5-1, before I trivialize its difficulty by levelling anymore.

My death of the game so far:
Getting backstabbed-and-kicked-off-a-ledge by some invisible assassin-thing in 4-2, only to land directly on top of one of the broken pillars below and survive. After arrowing-the-hell out of the reaper on the ledge across from me, I decide to heal and try to jump down (to what turned out to be the boss area bellow); however, the fall was too long and I instantly died, leaving my 36,000 souls stranded on top of that pillar, impossible to retrieve.
If I hadn't already dealt with this stuff in Dark Souls, I probably would have quit right there!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Isn't there limitation level-wise? Or perhaps it needs 2 attunment slots?

I'm not familiar with magic (I never play as a magician) that's why I'm not sure...
Royalty is the only class that starts as SL1, and they start with soul arrow already attuned (or memorized), and you can always equip the ring of magical nature which gives one more spell slot.

hey gaf, i'm playing demon's souls right now and it's one of the most epic satisfying titles that I ever played.
I almost beat the game, but now I want that -stone trophies. That damn Pure Bladestone :(
Still can't find it, it's frustrating.
Also, I need Pure Mercurystone and marrowstone, but these seem far more easy to find.

Now, tips? Suggestions? I really don't know what to do.
Maybe I have to spend some souls in "luck"? I read online that this could make the bladestone drop even harder, so my "luck" it's still at level 7.

I have the US deluxe edition.

Ok, I found mercurystone and marrowstone, now only the Pure bladestone remains!
I really need some help because I'm going mad... I'm farming the 4-2 skeleton in the secret passage.

Booshka

I really need some help because I'm going mad... I'm farming the 4-2 skeleton in the secret passage.

Make sure you are PBWT, then it's just a matter of farming for hours and hours until you get lucky.

do you have the hero demon soul from 4-2 yet? if you do you get the large sword of searching which is helpful but you need a +8 Claws,Broad Sword, Flamberge, Shotel, Scimitar, Falchion, Kilij, Uchigatana, or War Scythe

then all is need is a black world tendency

Soulhouf

do you have the hero demon soul from 4-2 yet? if you do you get the large sword of searching which is helpful but you need a +8 Claws,Broad Sword, Flamberge, Shotel, Scimitar, Falchion, Kilij, Uchigatana, or War Scythe

That sword only rises the chance of dropping something, not the quality. That black skeleton always drops something so it doesn't change anything...

That sword only rises the chance of dropping something, not the quality. That black skeleton always drops something so it doesn't change anything...

ah, forgot about they always drop something

god now I remembering how much of pain in the ass it was getting that pure bladestone
and when my demon soul saves got deleted :(

Booshka

Why a developer had to make an item so difficult to find? I'm ok with a difficult game, but I can't understand the extreme farming.

Which is something they improved in Dark Souls, you can get the highest form of upgrade material through loot or side quests, but you can also farm them as well. Demon's has too much unbearable farming in my opinion, it's more like an old-school MMO in that sense, which isn't a good thing for the type of game it is.

I hope in DkS 2 they allow you to at least get one of the most valuable upgrade item for each upgrade path per playthrough without the need for farming. Then you can farm for more if you'd like. If there wasn't guaranteed Slabs in Dark Souls imagine farming the Chaos Eaters in Lost Izalith, the Pinwheels in ToTG or at the very worst, the Butterflies in Crystal Caves, eeeek.

3h of farming and still nothing. I really hate that pure bladestone.

4-2, Pure Black World tendency, Dual katana black skeleton, secret passage. Right?

Edit: I already found 99 shards and 44 chunks of bladestone in that spot... it isn't real...

EasyMode

4-2, Pure Black World tendency, Dual katana black skeleton, secret passage. Right?

Edit: I already found 99 shards and 44 chunks of bladestone in that spot... it isn't real...

Yep, that's the guy I farmed it from. I would just roll off the cliff if he didn't drop what I wanted. It was more time efficient that way and it reflected my feelings about farming.

Yep, that's the guy I farmed it from. I would just roll off the cliff if he didn't drop what I wanted. It was more time efficient that way and it reflected my feelings about farming.

yep, I do the same thing. It takes me ~70s for an entire cycle (respawn, run to the spot, kill the skeleton, grab the item, roll of the cliff, loading screen, respawn), it's pretty efficient, but frustrating. 3,20h of farming and i am still without that damn stone :(

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
well the problem with world 3-3 is that a another player could become the boss of that level.
So sometime you get either the ai, a crappy player, or a good player.

anyway to me without using magic, Firelurker is a bitch to fight in ng+
and remember to do world 1-4 last ;)

You must have gotten the AI. Shame you didn't get another player, those are fun.

Ranged attacks generally most bosses a joke. But do tell us how that works for the Maneaters and the False King... ;)

I think Demon's Souls is way easier than Dark Souls though. Never understood those who said the reverse.

Ok guys, I see what I wrote was wrong, it wasnt 3-3 I had beaten but 2-3 (the dragon). But seriously looking forward to that 3-3 boss fight after reading its another player. Wow what an ingenious idea!

Now started to drop even uchigatanas :lol
I'm done for now, 4h of farming are more than enough... will continue tomorrow.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
What do you need the pure bladestone for? If you want to use a uchi+5, make a Hiltless+5 instead. Colorless demon souls are limited, but not difficult to come by, no farming required. If it's any other dex+5 weapon, make a quality+5 weapon instead. Much easier to make, and you'll hit almost as hard (depending on your stats it might be even better).

If I had known all that before making my dex character (which is my go-to build on any new RPG I play... so my initial dex build was my first DeS character ever) I wouldn't have spent so long farming for it for my uchi, I'd just have made a damn Hiltless+5 instead.

do you have the hero demon soul from 4-2 yet? if you do you get the large sword of searching
What a terrible suggestion! Not only that wouldn't help with farming from an enemy that always drops something, but that soul is wayyyyy more valuable when spent on the Second Chance miracle.

Soulhouf

Now started to drop even uchigatanas :lol
I'm done for now, 4h of farming are more than enough... will continue tomorrow.

If it comforts you, the first time I farmed for that stone, I spent an entire week, 3 hours per day only doing that.
I also got it once after 1 hour of farming , hell the skeleton even drop it in one of my runs the first time when I didn't need it.
It's really a matter of luck.

If it comforts you, the first time I farmed for that stone, I spent an entire week, 3 hours per day only doing that.
I also got it once after 1 hour of farming , hell the skeleton even drop it in one of my runs the first time when I didn't need it.
It's really a matter of luck.

You are right, sir.
Today, at the 2nd tentative, he dropped the pure bladestone. It caught me offguard, I'm like O_O
Yep, today I'm lucky.

Thank you all, for your moral support!

Morfeo

Im still just having fun with my game, not really progressing, but hunting down Crystal Lizards, upgrading stuff, and collecting a few of the items I forgot the first time, and today I also decided to make a new character and start the game over. This time I will have a strict melee only-rule as I feel I have cheated a bit in my way to handle a few of the most epic bosses. Phalanx of course went well, and now grinding in Stonefang. So fun to be back at low level where everything kills you. What a great game this is!

I wasted him [Adjudicator] yesterday (NG+) with melee attacks after 4 tries of killing him like I did in normal game - with spells.

Man, Warding is such a great spell. So OP it isn't even funny - I didn't even block Adjudicator attacks just tanked them and used Full Moon Grass when necessary. I also tested if I can block his attack with my PFS+4 and Stamina and... I could but it took 100% of my Stamina bar and staggered me for a few secs.

Ain't nobody got time for that!

I also unlocked the shortcut in 5-2, the Giant Trolls where so fun to fight. Of course they require no challenge with Warding up :(

Casanova

I can't seem to get into Demon's Souls after playing Dark Souls first. I played Dark Souls, and it quickly became my favorite game. I beat it several times.

I then sold my 360, got a PS3 and Demon's Souls and just could not get into it. I don't understand the health respawn system or the levels in the nexus. It also seems like the graphics are extremely outdated, so it's not even a pleasure to look at.

It is just a huge disappointment for me, but maybe I'll give it another shot sometime in the future.

I'm at the first *major* boss, I guess. The big fucking tower knight and after several times of running across the bridge that takes 10 minutes to get across and then almost immediately dying to the tower knight, I just feel like giving up. The level layout in Dark Souls was just infinitely better, in my opinion. This just feels sloppy.

There is not a single "sloppily" designed level in Demon's Souls. I really don't know how to respond to your criticism... maybe the game is just not for you? You must be the first person that dislikes DeS after playing DaS. If you managed to get to the Tower Knight and still do not like the game then be warned that it will not become any "easier" as 1-2 (the road to Tower Knight) is *the* easiest level in the whole game. Everything after 1-2 will break your heart, mind and soul in every World. 4-1 will make you cry. 5-2 will dump you down into your own insanity dumpster. 3-2 will make you jump out of the window.

There's also an Ornstein & Smough type of boss fight in DeS :) Be prepared!

Soulhouf

There is not a single "sloppily" designed level in Demon's Souls. I really don't know how to respond to your criticism... maybe the game is just not for you? You must be the first person that dislikes DeS after playing DaS. If you managed to get to the Tower Knight and still do not like the game then be warned that it will not become any "easier" as 1-2 (the road to Tower Knight) is *the* easiest level in the whole game. Everything after 1-2 will break your heart, mind and soul in every World. 4-1 will make you cry. 5-2 will dump you down into your own insanity dumpster. 3-2 will make you jump out of the window.

I love how you describe these levels :D

Morfeo

What a great and truthfull description of this game! I agree that the levels of this game are among the best ever, especially the Boletaria-levels are blowing my mind in their awesomeness. So great!

Toxi

Banned
I can't seem to get into Demon's Souls after playing Dark Souls first. I played Dark Souls, and it quickly became my favorite game. I beat it several times.

I then sold my 360, got a PS3 and Demon's Souls and just could not get into it. I don't understand the health respawn system or the levels in the nexus. It also seems like the graphics are extremely outdated, so it's not even a pleasure to look at.

It is just a huge disappointment for me, but maybe I'll give it another shot sometime in the future.

I'm at the first *major* boss, I guess. The big fucking tower knight and after several times of running across the bridge that takes 10 minutes to get across and then almost immediately dying to the tower knight, I just feel like giving up. The level layout in Dark Souls was just infinitely better, in my opinion. This just feels sloppy.

If you're having trouble with the Tower Knight, I'd recommend doing the Stonefang Tunnel level (2-1) before trying to beat 1-2 again. You'll get a lot of ore to improve your weapon there. Make sure to kill the guys holding sacks, they're the ones that drop ore.

Tower Knight is a fairly easy boss. Your goal during the battle is not to get hit at all. First kill all the crossbowmen, then go for the ankles. Hit and run, know the cues for his shockwave move. Don't stay behind him as he falls or he'll hit you on the way down.

Morfeo

So tried to kill the double-sword guy you were talking about farming, and after I finally killed him his body somehow fell through the floor to the room below where the item he dropped is stuck in the roof :(

Sullichin

So tried to kill the double-sword guy you were talking about farming, and after I finally killed him his body somehow fell through the floor to the room below where the item he dropped is stuck in the roof :(

Don't worry, he always drops something.. it's very unlikely it was the pure bladestone. But maybe it was and you'll never get it again :D

Morfeo

Don't worry, he always drops something.. it's very unlikely it was the pure bladestone. But maybe it was and you'll never get it again :D

That would be great lol. Anyways, I dont really care, as I probably wont do NG+ or upgrade my equipement that much as to need such a stone, but would be fun of course.

Anyways, just lost 60k souls thanks to me trying to target a Crystal Lizard, but ending up targetting a Flying Manta instead :(

And my jack-of-all trade character is getting even jackier these days, as I started to up my magic stats as well. Just understood how to read the weapon scaling stats, and found out that my thrusty Crescent Falchion that I mostoly use (and have upgraded a lot) scales with Magic, so I guess it was time. Ah well, will try to avoid this way of playing in Dark Souls I guess.

Sullichin

That would be great lol. Anyways, I dont really care, as I probably wont do NG+ or upgrade my equipement that much as to need such a stone, but would be fun of course.

Anyways, just lost 60k souls thanks to me trying to target a Crystal Lizard, but ending up targetting a Flying Manta instead :(

And my jack-of-all trade character is getting even jackier these days, as I started to up my magic stats as well. Just understood how to read the weapon scaling stats, and found out that my thrusty Crescent Falchion that I mostoly use (and have upgraded a lot) scales with Magic, so I guess it was time. Ah well, will try to avoid this way of playing in Dark Souls I guess.

I know that feel, I fucking hate hate hate the crystal lizards in 4-2 and 4-3.

Man the Dual Katana Skeletons do not fuck around. I still cannot block them w/o being punished - PFS+4, Stamina 125.

NG+ Shrine of Storms is done. I had more than 200k Souls after the Storm King fight (I did him right after Old Hero - not returning to Nexus in between) so I leveled up 3 times, yay (70k souls per level up).

Flamelurker next, then Maneater (*cold shiver*).

Morfeo

So I finally beat the Old Hero! I spent a lot on time on the stage itself, mostly because it would always be more tempting to go back and level up three or even four times, rather than risk loosing it all on the boss. This level also had quite a few places where an inpatient player could easily fall down and die, which made me loose a ton of souls after I had played the stage for a while. At least the level was awesome for leveling!

So for the boss itself, I beat him on my second attempt, only getting hit once. First try I understood that he was blind, but still felt that he would always hit me after I had hitted him, and for one of his attack, he got me cornered in the room, landed another two hits and I was dead. For my second run, I brought the thief ring, and that did all the difference in the world. Now I could just stand right behind him and slash, and would mostly not understand where I was standing, making this fight extremely easy to do. Ah well, guess its on to 4-3 tomorrow! Looking forward to that!

Top Bottom