• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

I suggest not using the Wiki just yet, a lot of the tendency events and enemy locations are fun to discover on your own. You can control World and Player Tendency pretty consistently, so just read up on how to affect Tendency, then go in to areas blind and try it out.

I almost looked up a bunch of stuff before doing all the areas in Pure Black World Tendency, but I am grateful I didn't, so many awesome surprises.

That's what I meant, looking up how the Tendencies work and can be changed, which meant I saw some spoilers about NPC Black Phantoms, so I already know some about them. Also information on the unique weapons and spells.

Do you guys know about the infinite items glitch?

You can level up endurance to carry more weight without fatrolling, there is also a ring that will raise your equip burden.

In addition to what krakov said: don't wear the full heavy set. Mix it up with lighter pieces. 3-1 has two very good light sets: the black leather set and the magician set. Black leather is the lightest set in the game yet provides more than adequate defense, the few points less defense it has has generally no impact on the damage you take and it's far more important to stay mobile.

Thanks to both of you :) I have found a magicians set but I'm not sure if I have come across black leather yet... Is it best to replace the heaviest items or the weakest items though? ie. chest/legs or helm/gloves. Thanks again for the advice!

Calibus

I think I can finally say that I am done with both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. I have upgraded and obtained all of the weapons/armor that interest me (save for possibly the Obsidian weapon from Kalameet, but seriously F Kalameet!) as well as experienced enough of the different playstyles. Not a fan of invasions or PvP, so meh to that.

Looking back, I give both a solid 9/10 each. There were design decisions that I did not care for, but largely overlooked because of how delightful the rest of the content in the games was. The NG+s were just extended grinds, which was a bit disappointing to me (would have liked to have seen different itemization), but they did let me further immerse myself in the world/lore (which I kind of liked how they left them ambiguous). Games of the generation? Hmm, don't think I'd go that far, but definitely the biggest personal surprise hits this generation.

Very much looking forward to Dark Souls 2 and Demon's Souls 2.

Dunkelgrau

I already played "Dark Souls" and for me it was the best game I have ever played.

After my first and only run I was a little bit disappointed because playing with the official guide, which I bought after I finished "Dark Souls", seemed to be the much better experience for me. But it was too late.

So GAF, what is the best way to play "Demon’s Souls"? Are there any guides? (In Europe we have a so called “Black Phantom Edition” with an official strategy guide.)

leroidys

]blacky[;90838994 said:
I already played "Dark Souls" and for me it was the best game I have ever played.

After my first and only run I was a little bit disappointed because playing with the official guide, which I bought after I finished "Dark Souls", seemed to be the much better experience for me. But it was too late.

So GAF, what is the best way to play "Demon’s Souls"? Are there any guides? (In Europe we have a so called “Black Phantom Edition” with an official strategy guide.)

Honestly, I think the best way is to go in without a guide.

At most, look up what weapons are worth upgrading, and the order you should play through the areas in.

I don't know how people can go through this game with a walkthrough and claim to "get it", but that's just my opinion.

Oh man! Soulsgiving time! I wonder if we should make a new thread about it since it is on sale on PSN right now. Might be a good time for people to get into it who never gave it a shot.

Deimo5

I hate going into the valley of defilement these days, it's such a miserable shithole lol.
Reminds me I'm still only early on in Dark Souls, my next stop is probably Blighttown, hearing its similar to the VoD might have been what made me stop playing it a while back. Got to get back into it soon.
Watching ENB's latest playthrough actually made me do my own crushing battle axe build run, almost done.

krakov

In my experience the chance of meeting a twinked out invader in DeS is 100%, seems the twink/modder-bros are the ones really sticking with these games. I wouldn't hesitate to call Dark Souls broken beyond repair these days.

Have had some time to play DeS during the last few days and it seems a bit more active than usual (EU ver), still pretty barren though. I managed to invade as Old Monk twice in a row with a stupid Hands of God build at SL 30 and I actually managed to win them both somehow, that was pretty interesting.

Anyone else here playing on EU servers?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Twinked invaders in DeS aren't that bad, because their armour is the same and so they take the same damage. Plus dragon mirdan hammers are powerful at low-level, but still not as ridiculous as zwei+15 or chaos uchis and whatnot. If I'm questing at low level with starting gear, I'd fight a twinked out invader from DeS a hundred times over a DkS one.

cj_iwakura

I wonder which character I should break out for this... or make a new one.

Any particular shenanigans tonight? Is the event working out?

krakov

Twinked invaders in DeS aren't that bad, because their armour is the same and so they take the same damage. Plus dragon mirdan hammers are powerful at low-level, but still not as ridiculous as zwei+15 or chaos uchis and whatnot. If I'm questing at low level with starting gear, I'd fight a twinked out invader from DeS a hundred times over a DkS one.

Both are lame, near infinite instant healing with grass makes it kinda pointless to even try fighting though.

cj_iwakura

Did some running around with my 123 dex build, wasn't all that much going on, helped someone in 3-1 and found a PVP or two in 4-1.

Still such a perfect game, I wish Dark Souls ran this smoothly.

Any thoughts on a new character? Thinking a priest, never did one.

Soulhouf

Did some running around with my 123 dex build, wasn't all that much going on, helped someone in 3-1 and found a PVP or two in 4-1.

Still such a perfect game, I wish Dark Souls ran this smoothly.

Any thoughts on a new character? Thinking a priest, never did one.

Pick up a Temple Knight(better than Priest) and make a faith build.
That's my favorite build in Demon's Souls.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
All you need is 30 str to lift it. Starting as a priest, you can min-max a solid DBS mage at level 125. Here's a good build for it:

VIT 50
INT 26 *
END 37
STR 30
DEX -
MAG 30
FAITH 16
Luck -

* (Gives you 2 spell slots (I use Fireball and, optionally, Light Weapon) and enough MP to cast Fireball 5x with the Insanity Catalyst and the Silver Coronet)

My DBS mage has this setup:
LH1: Dark Silver Shield
LH2: Insanity Catalyst
RH1: Dragon Bone Smasher
RH2: Talisman of God*

Rings: friend/foe, cling
Armour: Silver Coronet, Rogue set

* (To cast Second Chance, can be swapped out with a Crushing Knight Sword or something if you want but I'm usually too lazy)

You deal decent enough damage and you can chain some really fun combos. Running r1 knockdown -> wake-up pivot fireball -> rolling r1 during hitstun, rinse repeat. Requires solid timing but when you do a chain like that it's immensely satisfying. :)

Nerdy "lore" idea: Do you think the river that runs under the starting bridge of Boletaria 1-1 is the same river in Stonefang 2-1?

The castle stronghold type buildings in the distance in 2-1 could be ruined check points or something on the way to Boletaria. Sorry, I just like playing with the telescope :/

I've been participating in Soulsgiving today. I've probably helped clear 1-3 20 times. :D

I'm playing a Temple Knight 'Str build,' stock with Crushing Halberd +5, SL 45.. I normally play faster characters with one handed swords, so this is quite different. Two handed halberds are quite deadly!

I tried using the Dragon Bone Smasher, but it's just too slow for me.

cj_iwakura

Nerdy "lore" idea: Do you think the river that runs under the starting bridge of Boletaria 1-1 is the same river in Stonefang 2-1?

The castle stronghold type buildings in the distance in 2-1 could be ruined check points or something on the way to Boletaria. Sorry, I just like playing with the telescope :/

Well, they're all parts of Boletaria. So most likely. Sometimes I'd peer into the distance from the back of the blacksmith area(one of the prettiest views in the game) and swear I saw Boletarian Castle.

I switched over to Dark Souls Prepare to Die on PS3 since I had never played Dark Souls online really. Warrior SL 16 with claymore at Undead Church bonfire, playing straight up, put summon sign down... summoned into worlds that are invaded by twinked out black phantoms with lightning weapons, Great Chaos Fireballs, etc. *face palm*

Lime

Did EpicNameBro ever do a Demon's Souls lore video like he did with Dark Souls?

Or do people have any other suggestions for good videos analyzing the lore of Demon's? I'm kind of averse to the ones I found on Youtube with poor incomprehensible narration (Smoughtown) or unfounded/unjustified speculations on the plot and characters.

GRIP

Did EpicNameBro ever do a Demon's Souls lore video like he did with Dark Souls?

Or do people have any other suggestions for good videos analyzing the lore of Demon's? I'm kind of averse to the ones I found on Youtube with poor incomprehensible narration (Smoughtown) or unfounded/unjustified speculations on the plot and characters.

I don't think he's done a straight up lore series, but he's currently doing a DeS playthrough and he does a lot of speculating about the lore in the game while he's playing. Pretty sure I've head him mention that he's not nearly as familiar with DeS as he is with DkS.

Vaati is doing a lore series, though. I haven't seen any of it, but his DkS, "prepare to cry" videos were great so I'd guess the DeS videos are pretty good as well.

I don't think he's done a straight up lore series, but he's currently doing a DeS playthrough and he does a lot of speculating about the lore in the game while he's playing. Pretty sure I've head him mention that he's not nearly as familiar with DeS as he is with DkS.

Vaati is doing a lore series, though. I haven't seen any of it, but his DkS, "prepare to cry" videos were great so I'd guess the DeS videos are pretty good as well.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/user/VaatiVidya

:)

Top Bottom