• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

How can I maintain my tendencies? Should I always play in offline mode?

World tendency is governed by dying in body form (to move toward Black) and defeating bosses (to move toward white). There is allegedly some kind of link to the server for world tendency, but I've never observed it myself. If you want to preserve your White World Tendency, stay in soul form so any accidental death won't affect it. This *could* mean playing offline, so you can be in body form for the extra hp without worrying about Black Phantoms killing you, which is a concern for a new player.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
DBS it is then! I am mainly focusing on Vitality, Endurance, Strength, and Dexterity. That being said, what is the best weapon to use for the in between levels?
Wait, what? DBS is a pure strength weapon. I believe it has 0 scaling with dex altogether. If you want to level up both strength and dex, go with a Quality+5 weapon that you can use well with two hands, such as a claymore or a kilij or even an uchigatana. Slap curse weapon on those and you'll smash everything.

Of course, you could do a quality build (leveling up dex and str equally I mean) and still use the DBS for your knock-down blunt mashing needs, and use a smaller weapon for quicker jabs when needed.

I think I'll simply upgrade the uchigatana for now. Push it till crecent uchigatana or one based on STE and DEX.
If you focus on dex and str, don't make it Crescent, this scales with the magic stat. Make it +5 Quality. Blacksmith Boldwin can do those upgrades too.

Tips on final boss (or what I saw my brother do): Put on regen ring, take magic sword makoto, remove all armor for faster rolls, and go for it. He basically went all in or nothing. He either died with one hit, or killed the final boss.
Assuming that's the False King? That's kind of poor advice to be honest, no wonder he'd die. :p With a properly built character, the False King is easy and you don't need to sacrifice anything. Since I always do him last or close to last, I'm always powerful enough that I never died once against him. No bragging, I just honestly don't see why so many people struggle against him. He telegraphs all his attacks, they're easy to dodge, and by that time your character is pretty strong and can survive plenty of hits and has accumulated tons of healing grass, so I was never in real danger. The first time he did steal a soul level from me though. xD

Yeah I didn't even roll to the side facing False King, I just tanked his hits, jabbed him and rolled the fuck backwards.

You can mess up pretty badly with him if you wrongly roll to the side when he is doing the long, lunging move. He can combo you to death easily then.

Tank, tank, tank is my advice (NG++).

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Meh. Tanks are terrible in Demon's Souls. They can work in Dark Souls due to high poise, but in DeS? Fast roll and dodging all the way, with a Dark Silver Shield for emergency blocking.

Soulhouf

I always tanked False King as well. Even in NG+7, any great shield maxed out work very well against him.
The only exception was when I did my SL1 run. That boss was hell because I wasn't able to fully tank his attacks.

TnK

World tendency is governed by dying in body form (to move toward Black) and defeating bosses (to move toward white). There is allegedly some kind of link to the server for world tendency, but I've never observed it myself. If you want to preserve your White World Tendency, stay in soul form so any accidental death won't affect it. This *could* mean playing offline, so you can be in body form for the extra hp without worrying about Black Phantoms killing you, which is a concern for a new player.
I just want to get the DBS, help the NPCs, and then change the tendency to dark. I don't want to be the one playing on easy mode :lol

Wait, what? DBS is a pure strength weapon. I believe it has 0 scaling with dex altogether. If you want to level up both strength and dex, go with a Quality+5 weapon that you can use well with two hands, such as a claymore or a kilij or even an uchigatana. Slap curse weapon on those and you'll smash everything.

Of course, you could do a quality build (leveling up dex and str equally I mean) and still use the DBS for your knock-down blunt mashing needs, and use a smaller weapon for quicker jabs when needed.

If you focus on dex and str, don't make it Crescent, this scales with the magic stat. Make it +5 Quality. Blacksmith Boldwin can do those upgrades too.

Assuming that's the False King? That's kind of poor advice to be honest, no wonder he'd die. :p
I am at soul level 36, should I stop focusing on Dex, and only concentrate on End, Vit, and Str? Also, do I need to learn any magics/faiths? Assuming some characters are weak against magic, shouldn't I have some sort of magic sword spell?

And poor advice I did give him, lol. Worked for my brother, and like you said, faster characters > tanks. In this one case, it worked for him. I won't be doing what my brother did though.

You know, I am REALLY afraid of building my character and spreading my points wrong. This happened with Rogue Legacy, and ended up with a weak character at level 98.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Your first character will always be built kinda wrong, it's okay, it's not a big deal. You can min-max if you make a PvP toon after.

If you are aiming at using the DBS, focus strictly on STR over DEX. If you want to use a variety of weapons, you can raise DEX also, and use quality+5 weapons.

For magic and spells, you can cap faith at 16 and use the miracle Second Chance, it's really good. Some enemies are indeed weak against magic but it's not mandatory to have magic attacks really. With Curse Weapon (requires 0 magic investment and only 18 intelligence), you'll hit hard enough to take out anything.

I made the worst possible character (levelled up LUCK, lol) and still managed to platinum this the old-school way. The game was super hard in NG0, easy in NG1, super easy in NG2 and NG3.

You will manage, don't fret it.

Finally managed to kill Allant on my first attempt today. My patience hadn't been pushed to its limits yet like it had last night. Now I'm not sure if I should finish the game or wait to grab some things that I missed.

Without bothering with WT stuff, I don't even know what the guys who drop colorless souls look like. I think most of my tendencies are near white (I could never tell and always hated the system). Is there a way to get them to black manually or would I need to wait for Halloween 2014 for them to do a server-wide event? Also, I have some major demon souls which I haven't spent yet. Those carry over so I can spend them in NG+ if I want to, right? Anything else you guys would recommend before heading to the end?

Finally managed to kill Allant on my first attempt today. My patience hadn't been pushed to its limits yet like it had last night. Now I'm not sure if I should finish the game or wait to grab some things that I missed.

Without bothering with WT stuff, I don't even know what the guys who drop colorless souls look like. I think most of my tendencies are near white (I could never tell and always hated the system). Is there a way to get them to black manually or would I need to wait for Halloween 2014 for them to do a server-wide event? Also, I have some major demon souls which I haven't spent yet. Those carry over so I can spend them in NG+ if I want to, right? Anything else you guys would recommend before heading to the end?

You could use the infinite item glitch to duplicate Stones of Ephemeral Eyes, then kill yourself in body form several times to get PBWT.

The Primeval Demons kinda look like big ticks.

TnK

I hope I can manage. I am not planning on playing NG+ as I want to move to DaS after this. How long does NG+ take? If it can be finished in about 10 hours since on memorized the game, I may go for it.

I hope I can manage. I am not planning on playing NG+ as I want to move to DaS after this. How long does NG+ take? If it can be finished in about 10 hours since on memorized the game, I may go for it.

If you are not farming stuff then NG+ will take you 6-12 hours depending on your skills :)

But if you are not farming items in NG+ for the Platinum Trophy then... why play NG+? Start Dark Souls instead.

TnK

Here's the deal then. Ill play 2-1, 2-2, and 2-3 to get the DBS. It is possible, right? Or will I be too underleveled/crap gear for 2-2/3?

I know I am asking a lot, but I really dont want to screw things up, lol.

Soulhouf

Stonefang is the easiest world but it has the 3rd (or 2nd) hardest boss in game if you do not get him stuck on level geometry. You better man up, TnK :)

Are you talking about Flamelurker?
He is actually one of the few bosses who never managed to kill me through the ~30 runs I did including SL1.
I never understood why people fear that boss so much. If you do it melee, get the Purple Flame Shield and you're invincible. Otherwise, any medium/great shield will do. If you fight him with magic, it's easy as well (that's how I did it SL1).

Shengar

Are you talking about Flamelurker?
He is actually one of the few bosses who never managed to kill me through the ~30 runs I did including SL1.
I never understood why people fear that boss so much. If you do it melee, get the Purple Flame Shield and you're invincible. Otherwise, any medium/great shield will do. If you fight him with magic, it's easy as well (that's how I did it SL1).

People fear him because he move so quickly, make people all tense from the action therefore thought him to be a hard boss even though all of his attacks are quite easy to dodge. Well, first battel against him might a little daunting because all of that, but after NG+ he shouldn't be a problem at all. Penetrator without Biorr on the other hand.....

TnK

Stonefang is the easiest world but it has the 3rd (or 2nd) hardest boss in game if you do not get him stuck on level geometry. You better man up, TnK :)

And man up I shall. Boss is fast? Cool. I finished MGRR on Revengeance, and bayonetta on infinite climax, so I hope my reflexes help me against this boss.

4-2 taught me patience in this game. I spent probably 3+ hours trying to reach the boss (did it for about three times), until I realized I was too under leveled, as I did almost no damage vs the boss. 4-2 was honestly the only instance where I thought "wow, this game is as difficult as they said it was." Then I realized that I am supposed to be dealing higher damage in general. I think even the people that play SL1 have high damage, right? Unless I am wrong lol.

OK, best way to farm healing items? Or do some merchants sell them? Specifically Half-Moon grass.

TnK

Bump.

Finished 2-1, was a breeze. Finished the metal spider boss so fast that I feel I missed out on a good fight. Also grinded and put 30 points in strength in preperation for DBS. I will probably bump Dex to 20 from 18, and spend all the other points in Vit and End for now. I don't know if I should invest in faith and magic, because the only faith I want to learn is second chance, and maybe a healing spell.

Bump.

Finished 2-1, was a breeze. Also grinded and put 30 points in strength in preperation for DBS. I will probably bump Dex to 20 from 18, and spend all the other points in Vit and End for now. I don't know if I should invest in faith and magic, because the only faith I want to learn is second chance, and maybe a healing spell.

Do it.

2AdEPT

How can I maintain my tendencies? Should I always play in offline mode?
The only time where offline is helpful is when you are coming back into the nexus. all your activities don't change the world until you enter the nexus. You can screw up your tendencies while offline regardless if you go back there after dying as a human, etc when you want it to be white. The advantage of going offline is solely to prevent the server from resetting the stones to one shade less/more toward the worldwide average, which usually happens to be one shade off pure white. For example to get DBS you need pure white which you can do by avoiding dying while human and avoiding entering the nexus while online. It takes time to go offline every time you enter the nexus on your progression from spider to Flamelurker to dragon God...but by doing it this way you can get DBS prior to killing dragon god (I think....IIRC etc...... my memory on this stuff is >2 years old now) Consult the wiki on this particular topic to avoid disappointment...how many times have I rushed to get the precious bone smasher and simply cant get in to take it out!!! Definitely consider going straight from flamelurker to dragon god and killing both before going t o nexus...almost guaranteed to be pure white unless you started from a darker tendency than the server average initially.

pure black is easy as you just die multiple times in the same world while human ....uses lots of ephemeral eyes stones ...but easy. Just remember that you will shift toward white each time you go to nexus online or when killing bosses....so do all the black events before progressing to the next boss or simply do them after killing all the bosses in said area. Killing invaders is like killing a boss...one extra shade of white, killing nice NPC's shifts to dark (IIRC) as well as character tendency which is separate. Check the wiki for this stuff...it makes it a lot less frustrating and doesn't really spoil anything.

Any specefic reason on why I should?

you dont have to, it sounds like you wont try a few different characters to specialize in magic or faith characters, but the different options are a large part of the game, and basically make it a whole different experience. Also, without doing at least two runs (at least 1 NG+) you cant get all the neat magic or miracles, nor tendency events and all the special swag that comes with it. You have to finish the game at lest twice to get the 2 prizes for the final boss soul. and there is another NPC soul involved in making choices at the end game. I have never platinumed anything, but I certainly wanted to experience all the options on these two generation dominating games!!!

Therefore, since you seem to want to rush over to dark...you maybe want to do a bit of a hybrid character to experience all the swag. When using boss souls, you only get one shot, yet there are sometimes three different options...once you burn the souls on one option...you have to do the next round of NG+ to get the 2nd and third choice...unless you start a new character.

I always chose to start a new character... except for the one character I kept going to try one shotting bosses in hyper mode in NG+...which was fun.....but I played DeS from launch and there was no Dark so I soaked about a 1000 hours in to it. Same for Dark. and then another 400 hours on PC with the DLC. The re-playability of both games is huge...the only way you can screw up your character is to level so high that you lose co-op or PVP opportunities as you wont find similar SL people around....otherwise raising a lot of stats to try different things just makes you stronger, not weaker like you said for the other game as enemies dont scale until the NG+'s, and not much each level.

TnK

You know, I don't mind going through the game a second time if I get to enjoy the new events. What I may do instead of going through the game twice is first get all the white tendency events, then kill myself a lot to turn the world black, and experience black world tendency events. I will do the duplicate glitch for the eye stones and go from there after getting the DBS, and some other NPC encounters. Getting all the primevil souls to level up the DBS should be worth it. Also, I have eyes on Yurt's armor set if that is a good set to have.

I may try PvP later if that ends up being fun, but I have a feeling I will get my ass handed to me quick, lol.

2AdEPT

You know, I don't mind going through the game a second time if I get to enjoy the new events. What I may do instead of going through the game twice is first get all the white tendency events, then kill myself a lot to turn the world black, and experience black world tendency events. I will do the duplicate glitch for the eye stones and go from there after getting the DBS, and some other NPC encounters. Getting all the primevil souls to level up the DBS should be worth it. Also, I have eyes on Yurt's armor set if that is a good set to have.

I may try PvP later if that ends up being fun, but I have a feeling I will get my ass handed to me quick, lol.

Just to let you know...I think most people do dark first, then go toward white, as it is easier to cancel the dark by going to nexus online than the opposite. There is an incredibly fun glitch that enables you to farm colourless demons souls...its not so game breaking that I think it would be a sin to tell you...but it is a lot of work to find each primveal demon where all you need is one and the glitch saves lots of unnecessary effort. Look up colourless demons souls glitch on the wiki....it is fun to do and does not feeel like farming as you get to invade others worlds...and you can simply allow them to kill you (but don't fall off a ledge) it actually saves time if you die to their sword, but if you win you feel good as well, but then have to run back to the primeval demon spot...dying just places you back there automatically to farm another CDS. There are a few CDS's lying around as well, prolly worth a wiki search on that one as well.

one thing I forgot to mention above is that you can just go offline prior to entering the nexus, then go back online in whatever world you go to....in essence you dont lose the benefits of online play, and simply take the tedious time to restart your game each time yo go to nexus. I do this everytime I do CDS farming as you need the online function to invade. Notwithstanding, in order to put the CDS's you acquire on equipment as you progress you need to enter the nexus...going offline preserves your black tendency for when you go back to the primeval demon and do another CDS farm. It just means a lot of restarting but is far better than having to waste more EE stones...I guess if you use a glitch to get these stones it may not be an issue.

I will do the duplicate glitch for the eye stones and go from there after getting the DBS, and some other NPC encounters. Getting all the primevil souls to level up the DBS should be worth it.

The Stockpile Thomas glitch is a slippery slope. If you use it for eye stones, the desire to do the same for CDS is gonna be enormous. I mean... at least I would assume so.

<_<
>_>
<_<

TnK

Cool glitch for the CDS. Can also be used the same way as the EE glitch? Will do the invasion one first then the EE way.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I started DeS again a few days ago. It's great to come back to this game after a few years, every level feels new again! Picked a knight and started leveling up strength, but I don't have a plan yet. Is there a good str weapon easily available to upgrade early? I know about the DBS, but I don't want to bother with world tendencies. I figure getting pure white on 2-3 isn't that easy.

Tried on armored spider, pretty hard early on if you go melee.

krakov

If you stay in soul form and just kill the bosses, pure white it is. It's not that hard if you make sure to take no risks by going human.

There is a great club in 2-1, not the best but quite fun. Great axe in 2-2 is another easy get.

TnK

Awwwwww yyyyeeaaaah got the DBS! Beat flamelurker on my second try, he was a fun boss fight. You just need to move a lot. Also, I was stepping on lava and was not getting hit, why?

Reached the Giant dragon in the cave, and he simply punches me to death lol. Gonna keep trying now

I started DeS again a few days ago. It's great to come back to this game after a few years, every level feels new again! Picked a knight and started leveling up strength, but I don't have a plan yet. Is there a good str weapon easily available to upgrade early? I know about the DBS, but I don't want to bother with world tendencies. I figure getting pure white on 2-3 isn't that easy.

Tried on armored spider, pretty hard early on if you go melee.

If you go offline, kill yourself in the nexus to stay in soul form, and beat the bosses 2-1 & 2-2 while never dying in body form, you can get the DBS.

UPDATE: I beat the giant dragon in 2-3 with the DBS, the weapon is true to its words.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
If you stay in soul form and just kill the bosses, pure white it is. It's not that hard if you make sure to take no risks by going human.

There is a great club in 2-1, not the best but quite fun. Great axe in 2-2 is another easy get.

The Great club is worthless, it has zero scaling. Great axe is very very good on a STR build though, especially at crushing+5, one of the best str weapons along with the DBS and a crushing claymore+5.

TnK

Beat 4-2, and 4-3. The giant manta ray fight is awesome. Also, the DBS is crazy good, the damage output with two hands is insane. That being said, I also got the magic sword makoto.

Worlds left are: 1, 3, and 5.

Where can I find the ring that reduces equip burden? I need faster rolls with the DBS.

Also, the hardest part till now is 4-2, on the ledge where the skeletons are. NOTHING comes close to how frustrating that area is. Ingenious design though, it limits you in crazy ways. Also reminds me of the chapter of Berserk where Guts fights Serpico for the first time. Same exact situation. Man, these FROM SOFTWARE guys really love berserk lol.

Beat 4-2, and 4-3. The giant manta ray fight is awesome. Also, the DBS is crazy good, the damage output with two hands is insane. That being said, I also got the magic sword makoto.

Where can I find the ring that reduces equip burden? I need faster rolls with the DBS.

Also, the hardest part till now is 4-2, on the ledge where the skeletons are. NOTHING comes close to how frustrating that area is. Ingenious design though, it limits you in crazy ways. Also reminds me of the chapter of Berserk where Guts fights Serpico for the first time. Same exact situation. Man, these FROM SOFTWARE guys really love berserk lol.
The ring you seek is in an area you already passed by. Its blue and red guardians have moved on...

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Thanks, I'll look out for those.
Great axe is in
2-2, in the area where the small bear bugs are (before going down the tunnels)
, whereas the claymore
can simply be bought from the dregling merchant in 1-3 (maybe even in 1-2, I forget)

Honestly, the claymore is probably the best PvE weapon in the game. It swings fairly fast, has massive range, hits really hard especially two-handed, and its broad sweep cuts across a wide path of enemies when you're surrounded. It's only a bit weak in very narrow corridors but they're usually high enough that the r2 swing will work anyway.

That level is a bitch when black phantoms start showing up. I had to cheese my way through by kiting them one by one.

BulletTheory

Neo Member
Any tips on how to beat the Old Hero boss at the end of 4.2? It seems like it should be easy as he only attacks you when you attack him, so theres plenty of time to heal but DAMN! As soon as I attack him he just does that leap attack which kills me in one blow. I've got him down to half health before but must have died about 15 times on him now.

I've killed all the other bosses except for the final dragon on 1.4 - once I beat the game I'm buying Dark Souls right away!

I still hate 4-2, it's probably the one area in either Souls game I'm the least familiar with because I never hang around, I'm straight through, Hate it because it's a bitch, not because it's bad or anything.

EasyMode

Toss those skeletons some Soul Remains, they love that stuff and it distracts them for a short time. There's some lying around near the start of the level and Patches sells them too. Whenever I'm in 4-2 I toss Soul Remains everywhere.

Toss those skeletons some Soul Remains, they love that stuff and it distracts them for a short time. There's some lying around near the start of the level and Patches sells them too. Whenever I'm in 4-2 I toss Soul Remains everywhere.

lol

I've played for like 50 hours and never used Soul Remains. Never knew wtf they were for.

TnK

I also never knew what soul remains is for.

I plowing through everything with ease. I somehow regret getting the DBS and grinding till level 30 strength. I am barely dying now, even against bosses, if not killing them on my first try.

Old monk didn't even lay a finger on me. DBS kept flooring him, and whenever he got up, I just hit him again. I only have Boltaria and Valley of Defilment left.

Before beating the game I will do this: Turn boltaria to pure black, then head out and try to beat the game.

2AdEPT

Bump:

Can someone please explain to me what astraea and garland's stories are?

I know there are some that know more detail than I, and I just interpret the stuff I read in game....AND it is two years since I played in depth....but IIRC astrea is somehow setting her self up as a martyr for the people, who are rejects and dumped unwanted babies from birth. There is considerable conjecture, and some minor proof that she is really a facade helper and actually accepting souls to be a more powerful demon herself.

I will tire trying to say t all so perhaps just watch yourself:

check it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F45D44fDKEk

the only thing you know for sure without proof is that Garl is wielding his big Bramd in her valley on a continuous basis.

Shengar

Bump:

Can someone please explain to me what astraea and garland's stories are?

you could check gamefaq's story guide for the game here:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/954345-demons-souls/faqs/62697

There are many conjencture and speculation on Astraea reason for becoming a demon herself. One of the most popular one I believe is that she realized that God is actually the Old One, which bring her faith to ruin. What makes it even harsher is that sight of Valley of Defilment itself have shook her faith so much that she began to doubt in God. In turn, she become demon to help people in the Valley of Defilement. All of her escort, except Garl Vinland of course went against it, and try to kill her only to be killed by her guardian, and presume lover.

My personal speculation is that before the arrival of Saint Astraea, Valley of Defilement might be much more toxic place. The poison swamp we know in 5-2 is actually toxic swamp before her arrival. After she turned into demon, she try to purify it by concentrate all the toxic to her place, which awakens the demon baby in proccess.

Well, there is no proof, all speculation and conjecture but this is exactly what makes Demon's Souls story so enticing. It's up to you which story you want to believe, which strangers voice you will heard.

pooch

Neo Member
SoulsGAF I summon you!

On 1-4 (Penetrator Archstone) I am trying to run past the first encounter with the blue dragon, where he is breathing fire from the left as you run past two fat officials (or let the dragon kill them). It seems inconsistent whether the dragons fire gets me or not - even when I kill both officials and time my run perfectly (dressed <25% equip load). Any tips for how to consistently outrun the fire?

TnK

I know there are some that know more detail than I, and I just interpret the stuff I read in game....AND it is two years since I played in depth....but IIRC astrea is somehow setting her self up as a martyr for the people, who are rejects and dumped unwanted babies from birth. There is considerable conjecture, and some minor proof that she is really a facade helper and actually accepting souls to be a more powerful demon herself.

I will tire trying to say t all so perhaps just watch yourself:

check it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F45D44fDKEk

the only thing you know for sure without proof is that Garl is wielding his big Bramd in her valley on a continuous basis.

you could check gamefaq's story guide for the game here:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/954345-demons-souls/faqs/62697

There are many conjencture and speculation on Astraea reason for becoming a demon herself. One of the most popular one I believe is that she realized that God is actually the Old One, which bring her faith to ruin. What makes it even harsher is that sight of Valley of Defilment itself have shook her faith so much that she began to doubt in God. In turn, she become demon to help people in the Valley of Defilement. All of her escort, except Garl Vinland of course went against it, and try to kill her only to be killed by her guardian, and presume lover.

My personal speculation is that before the arrival of Saint Astraea, Valley of Defilement might be much more toxic place. The poison swamp we know in 5-2 is actually toxic swamp before her arrival. After she turned into demon, she try to purify it by concentrate all the toxic to her place, which awakens the demon baby in proccess.

Well, there is no proof, all speculation and conjecture but this is exactly what makes Demon's Souls story so enticing. It's up to you which story you want to believe, which strangers voice you will heard.
Great info, thanks. It is interesting that everything in the game is vague, yet at the same time, it is all connected.

Today, it is time to finish boletaria 1-3, and 1-4. Do you guys recommend me turning the world into pure black?

SoulsGAF I summon you!

On 1-4 (Penetrator Archstone) I am trying to run past the first encounter with the blue dragon, where he is breathing fire from the left as you run past two fat officials (or let the dragon kill them). It seems inconsistent whether the dragons fire gets me or not - even when I kill both officials and time my run perfectly (dressed <25% equip load). Any tips for how to consistently outrun the fire?

Forget the officials. Just sprint as soon as he STARTS to breathe fire away from you.

Top Bottom