• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Bloomers

How much online activity has there been recently?

I'm picking this up as the first full game to play on my new PS3 and I'm hoping that I'll still be able to experience invasions in my first playthrough.

How much online activity has there been recently?

I'm picking this up as the first full game to play on my new PS3 and I'm hoping that I'll still be able to experience invasions in my first playthrough.

I just started playing about two weeks ago, and I had to resort to soul form only to avoid invasions.

You'll get all you can handle. :D

I've reached 1-4, and I've been placing my summon sign to help people defeat Old King Allant. Last night, I was summoned into a world that was invaded. We cautiously moved forward, and discovered the black phantom hiding down an alley. He ran back toward the archstone and disappeared, I assume that's the effect of the Thief's Ring. I gave chase. Thinking he was hiding on either side of the door, I ran and rolled into the area, turned my character to view the door... perfectly presenting my posterior for a backstab by some wicked looking two handed sword, killing me immediately.

Demon's Souls.

Booshka

I've reached 1-4, and I've been placing my summon sign to help people defeat Old King Allant. Last night, I was summoned into a world that was invaded. We cautiously moved forward, and discovered the black phantom hiding down an alley. He ran back toward the archstone and disappeared, I assume that's the effect of the Thief's Ring. I gave chase. Thinking he was hiding on either side of the door, I ran and rolled into the area, turned my character to view the door... perfectly presenting my posterior for a backstab by some wicked looking two handed sword, killing me immediately.

Demon's Souls.

Probably the weapon I have been stomping around with, Dragon Bone Smasher, looks like a giant Dogbone. It does insane damage and throws people around when you get hit by it. Probably the most OP weapon in the game.

Soulhouf and I had some good co-op action today, cleared a lot of areas, got invaded multiple times, summoned a couple randoms. This was around SL 100 so the game is still relatively active, really fun.

Calibus

Started fresh recently and having much more fun. I'm near the end of the game now (just grinding to get some last minute advantages before tackling 1-4). That Blueblood Sword or whatever it is called is awesome. Reminds me somewhat of the Queelag Furysword in that the more of something you have, the more powerful it becomes. Grinding Luck up is going to be a pain though. Combine that with the Lava Bow and I'm pretty much in easy mode at the moment, heh.

Probably the weapon I have been stomping around with, Dragon Bone Smasher, looks like a giant Dogbone. It does insane damage and throws people around when you get hit by it. Probably the most OP weapon in the game.

Soulhouf and I had some good co-op action today, cleared a lot of areas, got invaded multiple times, summoned a couple randoms. This was around SL 100 so the game is still relatively active, really fun.

DBS (+5) + Morion Blade + Clever rat ring + Cursed weapon + second chance = one shot everything.

cj_iwakura

Let me know when that goes down, I'm always up for it. Everytime I watch a DeS video, I'm reminded of that certain something Dark just doesn't have.

cj_iwakura

I'll be playing 3 hours from now, so if you and Booshka are available, let's do it!

What levels? My OG is in the 150s. my perfected adept(Ranger) in the 80 somethings?, and that poor L1 guy. I think I also have a max STR build I made for kicks who's L70. (I designed her to look as dainty and fragile as possible.)

Soulhouf

What levels? My OG is in the 150s. my perfected adept(Ranger) in the 80 somethings?, and that poor L1 guy. I think I also have a max STR build I made for kicks who's L70. (I designed her to look as dainty and fragile as possible.)

In the US version I have 3 characters in the 100 range and the poor Royalty who is SL1 in the beginning of NG+.
Go and farm a little bit 4-2 for the pure Blade stone and you will obtain a shit load of souls there for your SL70. That's how my last character reached SL100 so quickly.

And BTW I'm still looking for that damn stone to make a Sharp Ushigatana+5 :(

cj_iwakura

In the US version I have 3 characters in the 100 range and the poor Royalty who is SL1 in the beginning of NG+.
Go and farm a little bit 4-2 for the pure Blade stone and you will obtain a shit load of souls there for your SL70. That's how my last character reached SL100 so quickly.

And BTW I'm still looking for that damn stone to make a Sharp Ushigatana+5 :(

If I find one I'll let you know.

So we're going for 100 range?

cj_iwakura

All you guys talking about your twinked out builds is why I'm now playing offline only.

Mine are hardly twinked. I have a dex build who's a beast with a bow and arrow, but she's hardly optimal. I used her to get all the trophy weapons, though, so she is armed to the teeth.

My first build is pretty much all Int, and I made a joke HULK SMASH Str build with the sweetest face ever.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
All you guys talking about your twinked out builds is why I'm now playing offline only.
Huh? They're talking about high level PvP, not invading newbies with dragon mirdan hammers...

DBS (+5) + Morion Blade + Clever rat ring + Cursed weapon + second chance = one shot everything.
I always laugh when I PvP against someone with that setup. Hyper mode = crutch for scrubs :D

(If you're talking about PvE, nevermind)

cj_iwakura

(I reckon you - you're the guy that plays FPP jRPGs like Wizardry)

CJ, could you try to explain what is that certain something?

For one, polish. Demon's seems like a tighter, less random experience.

Also, I think dying in Dark Souls is a bit more unavoidable at times. Demon's seems to give the player everything they need to survive, Dark pulls the rug out from under the player a lot.

And I think the five worlds are better polished than Dark's wide variety. Don't get me wrong, both are great games, but Demon's feels more together at times.

Even little things like the HP bars on enemies, the messages, and the UI seem to have a nicer look to them.

Also, I think dying in Dark Souls is a bit more unavoidable at times. Demon's seems to give the player everything they need to survive, Dark pulls the rug out from under the player a lot

Man, gotta say... This is all I can really agree with. DeS will rarely throw a cheap death at you like the few that are in DkS, which is definitely a good thing.

As for polish, though, I think DkS wins, hands down.

Purely from a technical standpoint, the graphics and animations are just better. Little niggles such as how your foot will clip through or bend awkwardly on a raised platform (I spend a lot of time propping up my characters and admiring them...) are absent in DkS; the rapier/stabbing sword animations on the whole are much more refined in DkS; the material shaders are better in DkS (particularly the appearance of metal); and the list doesn't end there.

From a design point of view, DkS is simply more memorable. I challenge you to give me a boss in DeS that matches the aesthetic and encounter/gameplay design of Artorias, O&S, Kalameet, PINWHEEL!
hehe
. Bosses are the cherries on top and can make or break a level. I mean, look at Leechmonger and Dirty Colossus; awful, awful bosses. False King Allant; cringe-worthy design. DkS has bosses that enamor you with their mystique, lore and design. I have never been more obsessed with a character that I know so little about than I have with Artorias. DeS just doesn't stack up in that regard. Then you have armour designs, enemy designs, NPC designs, weapon designs...

Sure, DkS has its problems (Izalith on the whole and signs of rushed development) and I know I've gotten into heavily subjective territory with the abovementioned, but I struggle to see how DkS doesn't just take everything - for the most part - that's great about DeS and turn it up all the way to 11.

cj_iwakura

From a design point of view, DkS is simply more memorable. I challenge you to give me a boss in DeS that matches the aesthetic and encounter/gameplay design of Artorias, O&S, Kalameet, PINWHEEL!
hehe
. Bosses are the cherries on top and can make or break a level. I mean, look at Leechmonger and Dirty Colossus; awful, awful bosses. False King Allant; cringe-worthy design.

Wait, what? Allant would be the most memorable boss in the game for me. World 5's are a little easy, but Allant is great.

And for me the most memorable world is 1-3. That courtyard in flames, the corpses everywhere, the ruined barriers, the stairs leading up to the castle gate... nothing in DkS gave me that feeling of awe.

Though Anor Londo is damn close. Except that's due to its majesty, not the Boletarian Palace's devastation.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
hehe
. Bosses are the cherries on top and can make or break a level. I mean, look at Leechmonger and Dirty Colossus; awful, awful bosses. False King Allant; cringe-worthy design. DkS has bosses that enamor you with their mystique, lore and design. I have never been more obsessed with a character that I know so little about than I have with Artorias. DeS just doesn't stack up in that regard. Then you have armour designs, enemy designs, NPC designs, weapon designs...

Maiden Astrea and Garl Vinland is probably the most memorable fight in the entire Souls series for me. It had the unique function of making me feel both awful and exhilarated during it. Then there's the Old Monk, Penetrator, False King, Maneaters... Demon's Souls really didn't have weak bosses in my opinion.

Also, the individuality of the different worlds in Demon's Souls just felt more pronounced... the each world truly felt alien to another. I think this was a luxury of having a hub-nexus system vs. a fully cohesive world. There's nothing in Dark Souls that touches the horror elements of the Tower of Latria for me.

I agree that there's something about Demon's Souls that Dark Souls lacks, even though I love them both.

There were some good fights, no doubt. I just feel like Penetrator is a lesser Artorias, Maneaters a lesser Gargoyles, etc. I will agree with you on the Aestrea fight. That was very well done, thematically. The music and the design made it pretty powerful. And Garl's armour is one of the very few beautiful armours in the game. Dat helm.

Boletaria was probably my favourite world, come to think of it. Latria was creepy as hell, but I feel like New Londo Ruins was just as bad in that regard.

Also, we can't ignore the simple fact that, given how enlightening and unique the Souls games are, it's highly likely that you're going to feel more favorable towards the one you first experienced.

Calibus

Ugh stuck at 1-4 second dragon perch.
Biorr gets toasted and I can't chew the dragon's health down enough while his attention is averted.

Is there a trick to this or do I just need to grind lvls/regen items?

Ugh stuck at 1-4 second dragon perch.
Biorr gets toasted and I can't chew the dragon's health down enough while his attention is averted.

Is there a trick to this or do I just need to grind lvls/regen items?

Watch the pattern of how the dragon breathes fire on the ground. You can time your run and swerve to the left and make it through. Start running immediately after the flames hit the spot where the char begins while he's still breathing.

Booshka

Bring a bow and arrows, once you get to the door, you can stand in the doorway and target its head. Spam arrow FTW.
Ya I have been doing that with a Clever Cat ring and Morion Blade buffing my Bow damage. Get 250+ damage per shot.

Just got to make sure I time my run past the flame properly.

Sullichin

Really not a fan of the blue dragon fight. it's just cumbersome to stand underneath his head and shoot arrows/ soul rays at him.
Off the top of my head there's no enemies that you NEED ranged weapons to kill in DaS, but it's the only way to kill the manta rays in Shrine of Storms and the dragons. You can skip them of course though.

Calibus

Not only got past the dragon but ended up beating the game. Wow! I have a hard time deciding whether I like this or Dark Souls better. Both were my surprise hits of the generation.

The ending was rather bittersweet, I chose
to walk away from the Maiden
. Kinda sad now.

Pretty damn impressive.

Started a SL1 run on Dark Souls, and only concerned about Anor Londo. Don't think I'd do one in Demon's Souls. Have enough trouble with Allant at SL80+ as it is. The Maneaters too.

krakov

I've done everything you can do with Dark Souls now (1000s of hours) so I decided to return to DeS which I only played through twice thus far. Are the euro servers pretty much dead? there is so little online interaction it feels almost pointless to look for it. Maybe I'm just wrong SL etc, both invading and summoning is 10 levels + 10% right?

Digging the dagger move set in DeS, trying out some stuff I never did before. Also, rapier class weapon parry animation is amazing, lol.

Booshka

I've done everything you can do with Dark Souls now (1000s of hours) so I decided to return to DeS which I only played through twice thus far. Are the euro servers pretty much dead? there is so little online interaction it feels almost pointless to look for it. Maybe I'm just wrong SL etc, both invading and summoning is 10 levels + 10% right?

Digging the dagger move set in DeS, trying out some stuff I never did before. Also, rapier class weapon parry animation is amazing, lol.

Pretty much all of the parry animations for DeS are like the ones you get with the Hornet ring in Dark Souls.

NA DeS is relatively active at low to mid levels, not sure about EU, but I think Soulhouf was having decent activity on EU recently.

krakov

Pretty much all of the parry animations for DeS are like the ones you get with the Hornet ring in Dark Souls.

NA DeS is relatively active at low to mid levels, not sure about EU, but I think Soulhouf was having decent activity on EU recently.

True, I was referring to the parry though, not the riposte, it's pretty funny looking. I guess I've seen some activity but it's not much. Wish you could invade/blue stone in human form, though I totally see the reasoning behind how the system works.

I keep hearing people referring to 'fat roll' is there a way to avoid this? I am at 3-1 (first playthrough of the game), got a full fluted armour set and a +4 winged spear, +5 heater shield. The only way I can get a faster roll is to literally run around naked, but i like my cover art armour! I must be DeSing wrong?

krakov

I keep hearing people referring to 'fat roll' is there a way to avoid this? I am at 3-1 (first playthrough of the game), got a full fluted armour set and a +4 winged spear, +5 heater shield. The only way I can get a faster roll is to literally run around naked, but i like my cover art armour! I must be DeSing wrong?

You can level up endurance to carry more weight without fatrolling, there is also a ring that will raise your equip burden.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
In addition to what krakov said: don't wear the full heavy set. Mix it up with lighter pieces. 3-1 has two very good light sets: the black leather set and the magician set. Black leather is the lightest set in the game yet provides more than adequate defense, the few points less defense it has has generally no impact on the damage you take and it's far more important to stay mobile.

I finished the game today, so great! False King Allant was fairly easy since I had fought him several times as a blue phantom before, so I knew what I was in for. The end game itself was a bit anti-climatic... I was expecting a tough as nails final boss. That said, the sort of bitter sweet, shades of grey ending fits right in with the setting and my expectations from playing Dark Souls first.

Now I'm in NG+ and went ahead and looked at the wiki... wow is there a bunch of stuff relating to world tendency that I missed, not to mention character tendency which I had no idea even existed. So maybe I'll use the wiki and go for a Platinum trophy. :D

Booshka

I finished the game today, so great! False King Allant was fairly easy since I had fought him several times as a blue phantom before, so I knew what I was in for. The end game itself was a bit anti-climatic... I was expecting a tough as nails final boss. That said, the sort of bitter sweet, shades of grey ending fits right in with the setting and my expectations from playing Dark Souls first.

Now I'm in NG+ and went ahead and looked at the wiki... wow is there a bunch of stuff relating to world tendency that I missed, not to mention character tendency which I had no idea even existed. So maybe I'll use the wiki and go for a Platinum trophy. :D

I suggest not using the Wiki just yet, a lot of the tendency events and enemy locations are fun to discover on your own. You can control World and Player Tendency pretty consistently, so just read up on how to affect Tendency, then go in to areas blind and try it out.

I almost looked up a bunch of stuff before doing all the areas in Pure Black World Tendency, but I am grateful I didn't, so many awesome surprises.

Top Bottom