• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

MilkBeard

I just recently beat Dark Souls, my first playthrough was just over 100 hours. I was pretty happy that the new game plus allows me to keep all my experience and items. It's going to make it quicker blazing through the game again, and to be able to refine my weapons further with the ability to get all the materials again (Twinkling Titanite, etc).

That being said, I decided to order a copy of Demon's Souls from Amazon, and it should be here in about 5 days. I'm pretty excited to play this game during the wait for Dark Souls II. I watched some videos, and it seems to have some nice unique qualities about it worth playing even though I've already played Dark Souls.

I'll be playing mostly offline because I don't have internet access at my home. That won't bother me, because my playtime with Dark Souls consisted entirely of offline play. The game design is so good that you don't really even need the extra online play stuff to enjoy.

Booshka

I just recently beat Dark Souls, my first playthrough was just over 100 hours. I was pretty happy that the new game plus allows me to keep all my experience and items. It's going to make it quicker blazing through the game again, and to be able to refine my weapons further with the ability to get all the materials again (Twinkling Titanite, etc).

That being said, I decided to order a copy of Demon's Souls from Amazon, and it should be here in about 5 days. I'm pretty excited to play this game during the wait for Dark Souls II. I watched some videos, and it seems to have some nice unique qualities about it worth playing even though I've already played Dark Souls.

I'll be playing mostly offline because I don't have internet access at my home. That won't bother me, because my playtime with Dark Souls consisted entirely of offline play. The game design is so good that you don't really even need the extra online play stuff to enjoy.
Enjoy, DeS has higher highs as far as the PvE aspect is concerned. Some of the Level design is absolutely remarkable. I also feel it is more atmospheric and moody overall, so it's a little more engrossing than Dark Souls in that aspect.

MilkBeard

Enjoy, DeS has higher highs as far as the PvE aspect is concerned. Some of the Level design is absolutely remarkable. I also feel it is more atmospheric and moody overall, so it's a little more engrossing than Dark Souls in that aspect.

Nice, can't wait.

Superman

Demons Souls is by far, my favourite game from the 7th generation. So happy I found this community...
Here's hoping to DeS2 announced soon too (wishful thinking? Fingers crossed regardless)
subscribed :)

Shengar

Nerdy "lore" idea: Do you think the river that runs under the starting bridge of Boletaria 1-1 is the same river in Stonefang 2-1?

The castle stronghold type buildings in the distance in 2-1 could be ruined check points or something on the way to Boletaria. Sorry, I just like playing with the telescope :/
Yes it is, since I believe the miner there is exiled soldier that went against King Allant XIII tyrannical rule.Stonefang Mine, Boletaria Place, and Valley of Defilement are probably very close to each other. I would not suprised if that river ended up at Valley of Defilement :)
Did EpicNameBro ever do a Demon's Souls lore video like he did with Dark Souls?

Or do people have any other suggestions for good videos analyzing the lore of Demon's? I'm kind of averse to the ones I found on Youtube with poor incomprehensible narration (Smoughtown) or unfounded/unjustified speculations on the plot and characters.
EpicNameBro did play DeS, only at the time I believe he have to recorded it or started a youtube channel. There is a good alternative though in gamefaqs, Story Guide written up by Guardian Owl, checked it out, its really worth your time.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/954345-demons-souls/faqs/62697
The boss designs is vastly inferior gameplay wise though. Lore wise? I've yet to see such thing from DaS to beat Maiden Astraea.

cj_iwakura

Yeah, the GameFAQs board on DeS has the lore on lock. So many great details.

The Latria lore gives me the chills. No one got it worse than them.

Shengar

Yeah, the GameFAQs board on DeS has the lore on lock. So many great details.

The Latria lore gives me the chills. No one got it worse than them.

The Old Monk got there when he still able to move around his body without massive heart, which mean they probably the first victim to The Colourless Fog. He probably came at the time King Allant XIII made the deal, though I had no Idea how he able to keep it from utterly destroyed like The Land of The North. Or is it just ancient evil that awakened in the north is too massive to handle unlike Latria?

cj_iwakura

The Old Monk got there when he still able to move around his body without massive heart, which mean they probably the first victim to The Colourless Fog. He probably came at the time King Allant XIII made the deal, though I had no Idea how he able to keep it from utterly destroyed like The Land of The North. Or is it just ancient evil that awakened in the north is too massive to handle unlike Latria?

I gathered that the Monk made a pact with demons and gave them Latria as payment, so they wouldn't destroy the world, only reside there.

And for whatever reason, Latria's demons decided human souls were more filling when they suffer first. (Scary as that sounds.)

MilkBeard

Demons Souls is by far, my favourite game from the 7th generation. So happy I found this community...
Here's hoping to DeS2 announced soon too (wishful thinking? Fingers crossed regardless)
subscribed :)

That would be pretty awesome, although I think it would be intense to get Demons and Dark as two different series. Since Dark Souls II is gonna be released on current gen, it might make sense for Sony to get From Software to make a Demons exclusive for next gen before/if they make a next gen Dark Souls. If that were the case, I'd totally get it, because it'd be the first next gen Souls game. I wonder if From Software has the ability to do that.

After seeing ENB get the Rogue set, I decided I wanted it on my mage. Problem is, my mage just entered NG+. Getting through Boletaria was rather simple, even though enemies do a crapton of damage. Most of Latria was also doable, but I had lots of trouble on the boss for some reason. A single blast from the main boss killed me every time.

I also realized that Fire Storm is really, really unreliable. I did it over and over near the boss at one point without hitting. It's like it never strikes directly in front of you.

Oh well, now I have it.

So I am replaying this. I was gonna go for a UCHI DEX build but I am finding out getting Bladstones is a total nightmare.

But its not a total loss. Since my build is pretty well rounded off I was thinking I could probably turn it into a quality or a STR build maybe?

Primary stats are -

VIT and END - 17

STR and DEX - 18.

Any ideas what should I go for? I like the Halbred, so I was thinking of getting that upgraded. Is a Quality Uchi worth it?

What other weapons would you guys recommend for that build? Is Quality my best bet or can I still turn this into a STR build?

I wanna end up at around SL 60. I am currently SL 25 I think.

Edit Also whats a good weapon buff to get without investing a ton in Magic or Miracles?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Quality uchi is totally fine on a dex build. Not quite as super-strong as a sharp uchi, but still very strong and it avoids the farming nightmare. And you could always use the Hiltless, which requires 5 colorless demon souls instead of ore to upgrade, and it's stronger than a sharp uchi even.

For the best weapon buff on a melee build, Curse Weapon is obvious. Cast with a Talisman of Beasts without having its requirements and the HP drain will be a mere 1 HP a second instead of percent-based for some reason, and it's stupidly strong. All you need is 18 int and you're good to go.

I gathered that the Monk made a pact with demons and gave them Latria as payment, so they wouldn't destroy the world, only reside there.

And for whatever reason, Latria's demons decided human souls were more filling when they suffer first. (Scary as that sounds.)

I would love to see Latria pre-pact. Daylight, normal prison being there with murderers and rapists etc., the Ivory Tower where the Queen resided. No swamp, no Gargoyles etc. just normal Latria Kingdom.

------------------------------------------

What are your favourite NPC BP battles?

I would rank them as follows:

1. Satsuki - boss battle. He just stands there and instantly rushes to kill you, at the beginning of the level no less. A pretty ruthless fight. Easy enough if you are not afraid of him and constantly on his ass, always on the offensive. This fight reminded me (for whatever reason) of Jaguar Javier from Guacamelee.
2. Selen - the hardest one for me. Made extra interesting because you could not block, you were poisoned, you were in constant anti-magic field, you could not roll and fucking Wasps were attacking you from behind. When I killed her in NG++ I had less than 5% life left... then a fucking Wasp killed me.
3. Rydell - good battle. Tight corridors, magic enhanced weapon meaning PFS+10 was useless and I had to equip DSS which he could break with his one two-handed hit. Very, very easy enemy though, 2nd easiest after Scrivir. The only thing you had to watch out for was his 2H combo which killed my LVL159 char once.
4. Miralda - the longest one. I spent 40+ minutes rolling around her and waiting for openings. She is pretty deadly with the Axe! In fact I never, not even once blocked her blows... meaning I do not know how much Stamina they take away :lol I was just afraid she will combo me to death. Which she did once but I was not blocking, heh. I killed her twice w/o using a shield. Pretty tiring battle it was.
5. Scrivir - the easiest BP NPC. PFS+10 means you can eat his Fireballs but not Fire Discharge face close. After he runs out of mana he is a joke.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Wot? Miralda's easy as hell. Satsuki on NG+ is a cunt, though, especially he has time to grass. Never let up the pressure.

Rydell is the hardest at low level (not counting lame-ass stealth/poison cloud strategies of course). If you don't have an upgraded DSS, ouch.

Soulhouf

Yeah, I find Miralda the easiest as well.
All the others can be a nightmare starting from NG+.
They are all fair fights though except Selen if you fight her in the swamp since she can sprint and roll where you can't.

TnK

Question: If I die, do I lose stuff like grey soul. I beat the tutorial boss, and would like to know if I keep them after I die without using them.

Also, which stage is the first after tutorial?

Question: If I die, do I lose stuff like grey soul. I beat the tutorial boss, and would like to know if I keep them after I die without using them.

Also, which stage is the first after tutorial?

You don't lose anything in your inventory, you only lose your "soul points" which are the souls shown in the lower right corner. For this reason you should not use the souls you can pick up (the one's called Unknown Soldier's Soul, Storied Hero's Soul, etc) until you need them, which is usually when you're at a vendor and you're short souls. The boss souls are the same, you don't lose them when you die. Be wary of spending them too, because boss souls can usually be turned into special weapons that are much more valuable then the souls you'd otherwise get for them.

The first level you have to beat after the tutorial is 1-1, Boletarian Palace. After you beat that level you can explore any stage you want. Good luck and keep your shield up. ;)

MilkBeard

My copy SHOULD be arriving today. Crossing fingers, I'll know in about an hour. I just finished my last final so I want to spend today diving in to Demon's. Can't wait.

TnK

You don't lose anything in your inventory, you only lose your "soul points" which are the souls shown in the lower right corner. For this reason you should not use the souls you can pick up (the one's called Unknown Soldier's Soul, Storied Hero's Soul, etc) until you need them, which is usually when you're at a vendor and you're short souls. The boss souls are the same, you don't lose them when you die. Be wary of spending them too, because boss souls can usually be turned into special weapons that are much more valuable then the souls you'd otherwise get for them.

The first level you have to beat after the tutorial is 1-1, Boletarian Palace. After you beat that level you can explore any stage you want. Good luck and keep your shield up. ;)
Thanks for the help =)
What is the best way to level up?

I actually have the launch deluxe edition, and I am starting it now...:lol

Booshka

Finally got Demon's Souls platinum. Only started playing the game earlier this year, I played Dark Souls first, and just recently decided to actually go for the platinum the last couple months.

I screwed up and had to run an extra playthrough to get the Maiden in Black soul, otherwise it wasn't too tough, just time consuming and a bit confusing managing tendency and keeping track of the status of 4 different characters.

I lucked out and had some total random player drop me a Pure Bladestone while I was helping him with Maneaters on NG+7 at SL 70. Spent over an hour on a half dozen or so attempts helping him, so I feel alright that I "missed out" on the quintessential DeS moment for the Platinum trophy. Maneaters on NG+7 is stupid hard even with a Cursed DBS and spamming Second Chance and New Moon Grass, either myself or the host would get melted or knocked off out of nowhere.

I'll probably continue to play mostly on Pure STR and Faith character, much like Dark Souls, I just don't like Sorcery/Magic. I much prefer melee and ranged with bow and arrows, so my overleveled quality (SL 175) will get some more playtime as well.

Soulhouf

Finally got Demon's Souls platinum. Only started playing the game earlier this year, I played Dark Souls first, and just recently decided to actually go for the platinum the last couple months.

I screwed up and had to run an extra playthrough to get the Maiden in Black soul, otherwise it wasn't too tough, just time consuming and a bit confusing managing tendency and keeping track of the status of 4 different characters.

I lucked out and had some total random player drop me a Pure Bladestone while I was helping him with Maneaters on NG+7 at SL 70. Spent over an hour on a half dozen or so attempts helping him, so I feel alright that I "missed out" on the quintessential DeS moment for the Platinum trophy. Maneaters on NG+7 is stupid hard even with a Cursed DBS and spamming Second Chance and New Moon Grass, either myself or the host would get melted or knocked off out of nowhere.

I'll probably continue to play mostly on Pure STR and Faith character, much like Dark Souls, I just don't like Sorcery/Magic. I much prefer melee and ranged with bow and arrows, so my overleveled quality (SL 175) will get some more playtime as well.

Congratulations!
Yeah Maneaters NG+ is hard. I did it in pure black WT with a friend SL125.

Regarding magic, believe it or not, I never did a full sorcerer run. I started my first one more than a month ago and I didn't like it at all so I stopped playing with that character.
I love faith builds on the other hand: Blessed weapons are really special and Istarelle and Great Sword of Moonlight are fantastic.

Are there any kind of BP NPCs in Dark Souls?
Yes. They're set up just like human invaders, so you have to be in human form and once you kill the boss of that area, if you didn't kill them before that - they're gone. No tendency stuff though.

They're all far easier than DeS BPs though, non of them will give you any trouble at all.

Shengar

That remind me how easy DaS early since it lack of noob trap like DeS did with Red Eye Knight in Boletaria 1-1 lol
Took more than 2 hours to chip that bastard with arrows for the first time

ZenaxPure

That remind me how easy DaS early since it lack of noob trap like DeS did with Red Eye Knight in Boletaria 1-1 lol
Took more than 2 hours to chip that bastard with arrows for the first time

I felt pretty trolled by that mother fucker at first. I've been playing a little bit of the game (for the first time ever) over the past couple of days. It's been sitting on my hdd forever from PS+ so I figured it was time to actually play it. Made it to that guy and was immediately one shot, made it back to get my souls and lasted a little bit longer before dying again.

That said when I remembered backstabs were a thing I actually found him extremely manageable. Of course, though, the next troll came when I saw that the door behind him was locked, then the ultimate troll when I actually found the key, walked inside and was one shot with my shield up.

Honestly thought the whole ordeal was a bit annoying, but I've still been playing as I find the core combat itself fun enough. I beat the actual first boss dude (who was considerably easy after learning the ropes with that fucking red eyed knight) then stopped there after the blind chick told me to go upstairs or whatever.

TnK

Is it worth killing the red-eyed knight in 1-1? Spent a good half an hour trying to do it (without dying mind you). Made him run behind me, then when walking back, I would back stab him. Problem is, when he is about to die, he heals himself back. Tips? I am at level 6 still.

Is it worth killing the red-eyed knight in 1-1? Spent a good half an hour trying to do it (without dying mind you). Made him run behind me, then when walking back, I would back stab him. Problem is, when he is about to die, he heals himself back. Tips? I am at level 6 still.

The area behind him is locked, so unless you have the key, no.

ZenaxPure

You can sometimes stop the heal if you notice in time by giving him a quick whack. It worked for me and I was able to kill him pretty fast. Also right after he heals I found it pretty easy to backstab him again assuming he wasn't near a wall (which happened a lot).

But yeah, not really worth it, though I think he gave me a sizable amount of souls.

TnK

You can sometimes stop the heal if you notice in time by giving him a quick whack. It worked for me and I was able to kill him pretty fast. Also right after he heals I found it pretty easy to backstab him again assuming he wasn't near a wall (which happened a lot).

But yeah, not really worth it, though I think he gave me a sizable amount of souls.

The area behind him is locked, so unless you have the key, no.
What loot does he have? There is another method, in which you kill him in the dumbest way possible by making him fall in the pit at the beginning.

IIRC the loot is just grass.

You can also lead him down the stairs (that lead to the thief ring and bottomless pit) and make him fall off as he charges at you - that way you still get his loot unlike sending him down Miralda's pit.

Thanks for the help =)
What is the best way to level up?

In order of "usefulness" and lined up to average player level and gametime:

1) 4-1 Skeletons. Before even killing the Vanguard demon in the courtyard you can kill 10-11 of them every time and then just run back to the Nexus.
2) 4-2 Reaper. Run straight ahead and drop down in the leftmost corner (you will land on some jars). Turn around and kill him in 2-3 blows. Evacuate.
3) 4-4 Manta Rays. Make sure you one shot them with Soul Ray, though.
4) 4-3 BP Dual Katana Skeleton. Soulsuck for 55k Souls, excluding any bonuses, and in the same time pray for a Pure Bladestone. Very risky - he once killed me while I tried to Soulsuck him. I had 1 million souls (I thought there was an achievement for that :(. You cannot imagine how sweaty my palms were when I was going back to touch my soul stain via the Slug area.

MilkBeard

Finally got my copy in the mail today, and I've already beat the Phalanx mini-boss. So far I haven't died yet except for the tutorial boss, who one-shotted me through my shield. Other than that, the game has been fairly easy so far, but it might be because I am coming in after playing 130 hours of Dark Souls and in new game plus, where many enemies can one shot you. I suppose this is what people experienced in Dark Souls for the first time when they were coming in with the experience of already playing Demon's Souls.

So far though, the game has been the same in terms of satisfying combat and level discovery. It's interesting, the difference in the nexus and single levels instead of a completely interconnected world. Bother are good in their own ways.

EDIT: Oop, finally died. Those bastard dogs got me in 1-2. I almost died from the dragon fire on the bridge, but I got hit and somehow had a sliver of live left, so I was able to make it across. Then the damned dogs did me in, ha ha. I was kind of nervous about them because they were barking the whole time before I got to them. Scary good time.

Shengar

EDIT: Oop, finally died. Those bastard dogs got me in 1-2. I almost died from the dragon fire on the bridge, but I got hit and somehow had a sliver of live left, so I was able to make it across. Then the damned dogs did me in, ha ha. I was kind of nervous about them because they were barking the whole time before I got to them. Scary good time.

Dogs are always the shit. No doubt we will see them again in DaS 2.

MilkBeard

Dogs are always the shit. No doubt we will see them again in DaS 2.

Ha ha yep. It was surprisingly scary in that moment building up to seeing them because they are barking in the distance. I was able to smash them easily second time around though.

--

I just finished off the
Spider boss
my first try. It's funny, because the way the two bosses have worked so far is that somewhere in the levels I have gotten a weapon enhancement and they make the boss much easier. 1-1 is the
turpentine
and 2-1 is the
white sticky stuff

I have died a number of times since then though. Once when first encountering the mages in Latria, and once to the skeleton knight thing in 4-1. Tower of Latria is a pretty creepy place. Those dudes you free end up getting in the way so I end up just killing them, heh. Put them out of their misery.

Shengar

Latria be damned. I literary stop playing DeS for three months after that mindflayer killed my character with it terifying attack.

TnK

Do enemy levels scale? I finished 1-1, then jumped to 4-1. Skeletons there die in three slashes, and I found a really good shortcut for the boss.

Going to 4-2 though, EVERYTHING needs a ton of slashes to kill. Normal skeletons need 6, golden 10, grim reaper about 12. The boss also barely takes any damage. It was not like that when I first entered 4-2 and had about 30-32 soul levels. Any idea why this happened?

Also, adding points to strength does nothing for my attacks.

Dying a ton makes me appreciate the atmosphere less. Does Dark have amazing art direction and atmosphere like Demon? First level of Dark after tutorial was kind of meh compared to 1-1.

Where do I get a wand? Haven't found it even by learning magic.

Last question: How long will the servers last?

@one million souls guy: wth man, how long did that take??

Been on hiatus with this game for almost 2 years and didn't realize how close to the end I was. KOed a couple of major demons and am up to 4-4 now. What in the fuuuuck. I can't even touch this guy. Any tips? I have the old CE with the guide and it suggests bringing friends. Nice strategy =P

Enemies don't scale to your level; but they do scale to the zone. As you note, skeletons in 4-2 are stronger than in 4-1. Normal soldiers in 1-3 can kill your level 40 character if you aren't careful.

Adding to strength will help the damage for weapons that scale with strength. Each weapon has a scaling rating for four attributes: Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, and Faith. The rating goes (lowest to highest) from - , E, D, C, B, A, S. Each attribute that scales for the weapon adds to its damage. You may be using a weapon with low or no Strength scaling, which means it has scaling in another stat, likely Dexterity.

You may find a catalyst near the beginning of 1-2.

Servers are scheduled to remain up indefinitely, as long as there is activity.

TnK

Thanks for the help. I have no idea how my brother finished 4-2 ,3, after finishing 1-1 then. He recommended me to finish it fully.

Are both Meat Clever and Dragon Bone Smasher worth it? How do I forge meat clever? Same with magic sword Makoto, they worth it?. My brother recommended going through 4 because of getting Urbian(?) And Makoto. Apparently he did not know that he maintained a pure white tendency.

For the person asking about 4-3 boss, there should be a sword that shoots slashes in the air. Assuming you are fighting the flying manta ray boss. (Should I spoiler tag this?)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
DBS is the best weapon for a strength build. It's stupidly good, really. Meat Cleaver is mediocre, you need a very specific build for it to work and it's spread very thin. For the same moveset, a cursed great axe hits harder and requires less stat investment.

Makoto is only ever decent on a VIT gouge build since it has zero scaling. Also you'll need HP regen to offset the pretty strong HP drain. It's honestly not that good, I only ever use it on my VIT gouge build when I get bored of Northern Regalia and want to use a katana.

TnK

DBS it is then! I am mainly focusing on Vitality, Endurance, Strength, and Dexterity. That being said, what is the best weapon to use for the in between levels?

Essay

Are both Meat Clever and Dragon Bone Smasher worth it?
DBS? Definitely! Meat Clever? As Morrigan said, it's like a less-damaging blessed Great Axe, that you don't need to put as much material into to max out. Looks awesome though, imo.

How do I forge meat clever?
There's three things you'll need:
1) The Red Hot Demon's Soul from completing 2-2
2) The Swollen Demon's Soul from completing 4-1
3) An un-upgraded Club (easiest option of many), which you can get from the 2-2 Patches encounter or purchase for cheap from the dregling merchant in World 1.

Bring all three to Blacksmith Ed in 2-1, (exhaust his dialogue options until you) give him the RHDS, and then spend some souls to combine the SDS and Club to get that sexy-looking Meat Cleaver!

Same with magic sword Makoto, they worth it?.
It's alright. It out-ranges other kanatas slightly, and causes better bleed, but constantly drains a percentage of your life. I imagine it's easier to justify at low levels, where you don't have the stat-investment to benefit from damage scaling, and your HP is lower (meaning that it drains less HP... which is easier to counteract with HP-regen items).

For the person asking about 4-3 boss, there should be a sword that shoots slashes in the air. Assuming you are fighting the flying manta ray boss. (Should I spoiler tag this?)

This is me, I think. I'm actually on the final boss, 4-4, but I can see how my phrasing made it seem like I was talking about the giant manta, hehe. I cheated and watched a youtube vid for some inspiration. Is there some name for the phenomenon when you almost succeed the first time you attempt something and then can't even come close on each subsequent try? He was down to 20% or so and then I did some stupid direction sensitive shit like shove instead of attack and it wound up getting me killed. It's hard to say whether it's impatience or just mistakes, but he's been taking my lunch money ever since. The boss fight is actually a lot of fun, but I am growing incredibly tired of the 5 minutes jog to get there. The mobs are just numerous and threatening enough that I can't just run past the lot of em.

Maybe we'll get this guy tomorrow.

TnK

I'll skip meat clever and go for DBS then since I thought I only needed 4-1's swollen soul.

I think I'll simply upgrade the uchigatana for now. Push it till crecent uchigatana or one based on STE and DEX.

Tips on final boss (or what I saw my brother do): Put on regen ring, take magic sword makoto, remove all armor for faster rolls, and go for it. He basically went all in or nothing. He either died with one hit, or killed the final boss.

I know too much about certain aspects of the game when I shouldn't, lol.

Top Bottom