• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

thcsquad

Beat 1-1. Yes, luring the flamethrower dudes out worked like a charm. After that, I only died on the first Blue-eyed knight for the rest of the level. His shield stun attack kind of took me by surprise at first, but the second time through I knew to run around more and so I beat him without a single scratch on me. Phalanx was easy though, because there were a bunch of messages telling me to use fire.

I screwed up my levelling though. I used all of my souls to level up Magic, since I wanted to get the chance to use Soul Arrow. But then I found the guy who sells spells and found out that it costs 1000 souls, and I only had 31 left. So now I have to build that up again.

So I met the 1-3 boss and
The NPC I found in the prison in 1-2 showed up to help me. He distracted the boss totally so I could just swing along at his back. Made the battle very easy and over in less than a minute. Is there any way to know when NPC's will show up to help you?

Captain Knutsman said:
So I met the 1-3 boss and
The NPC I found in the prison in 1-2 showed up to help me. He distracted the boss totally so I could just swing along at his back. Made the battle very easy and over in less than a minute. Is there any way to know when NPC's will show up to help you?
There are only two instances where this happens. The other one is in
1-4 with the same NPC

It's always great to see new folks playing the game. Wish I was around more to talk experiences but you know how it is. Busy and all that. I still have ambitions to update the look of the OT but that may jot happen until Christmas break. There's nothing better than spending time in this thread

Ifrit

:lol Fuck you Maneater, I though I glitched the game at first, that was insane

Took me long time, but I managed to beat him :D

<3 Warding

Jarlaxle

Ok. Beat 4-2 and 4-3 last night. I loved 4-1 so much but I didn't care for 4-2 much at all. Can't stand still outside for a minute otherwise you just get shot and man does it suck that those creatures come back to life if you don't kill the grim reaper guy fast enough. I like to take my time and am very cautious usually but on the 10th time through, I was just running by guys trying to get to the end. :lol Both bosses were super easy, but that's probably because I'm overleveled for a first time playthrough.

Now I have to decide whether I'd like to tackle 3-2 or 5-2 next. Not really looking forward to either world for some reason.

oracrest

canova said:
no soul-arrowing, all melee

Fair enough, although I am not counting that rule when killing Vanguard. I tried about 5 times yesterday, and he took me down every time. In this playthrough, I HAVE to kill him, that's another rule for myself :D

thcsquad said:
Beat 1-1. Yes, luring the flamethrower dudes out worked like a charm. After that, I only died on the first Blue-eyed knight for the rest of the level. His shield stun attack kind of took me by surprise at first, but the second time through I knew to run around more and so I beat him without a single scratch on me. Phalanx was easy though, because there were a bunch of messages telling me to use fire.

I screwed up my levelling though. I used all of my souls to level up Magic, since I wanted to get the chance to use Soul Arrow. But then I found the guy who sells spells and found out that it costs 1000 souls, and I only had 31 left. So now I have to build that up again.

Congrats, getting through a level in this game is so rewarding! Don't stress about leveling up wrong, or "wasting" souls. You get plenty more as you play, and it's just natural to learn what each attribute means over time through trial and error. (Eventually, you will be at a place where you are getting over 1000 souls per enemy!)

thcsquad

oracrest said:
Fair enough, although I am not counting that rule when killing Vanguard. I tried about 5 times yesterday, and he took me down every time. In this playthrough, I HAVE to kill him, that's another rule for myself :D

Congrats, getting through a level in this game is so rewarding! Don't stress about leveling up wrong, or "wasting" souls. You get plenty more as you play, and it's just natural to learn what each attribute means over time through trial and error. (Eventually, you will be at a place where you are getting over 1000 souls per enemy!)

Yeah, I actually got it by going back through 1-1 to challenge the Red-Eyed Knight. I lost, but on the way I got the Blue-Eyed Knight, and so I had about 750 souls waiting for me on my corpse. After respawning, I went straight back to the Red-Eyed Knight, got my souls, and ran like hell.

Then I realized I needed a catalyst, and so started going through 1-2. Got the wooden catalyst and actually made it pretty far before dying. Got the the end of the third bridge that is strafed by the dragon, and finally died at the group of soldiers (with the Blue-Eyed Knight) there. Though honestly, now that I can use Soul Arrow at will, I think I'm going to kill the Red-Eyed Knight in 1-1 and take his gear. Are the dragons in 1-1 doable this early in the game?

...I went straight back to the Red-Eyed Knight, got my souls, and ran like hell.

i just love reading those things :)

reminds me of myself playing the game. DS is even awesome for me as guy who doesnt play rpg´s at all. i love it...

Flo_Evans

This game... wtf?

I had heard it is hard, didn't really read the thread cause I wanted to experience it without spoilers.

Popped it in last night and omg! :lol

Then I read some of this thread and the wiki and I am even more confused!

Ifrit

Flo_Evans said:
This game... wtf?

I had heard it is hard, didn't really read the thread cause I wanted to experience it without spoilers.

Popped it in last night and omg! :lol

Then I read some of this thread and the wiki and I am even more confused!

:lol It happens to all of us

How did it went?

Canova

Banned
Jarlaxle said:
Ok. Beat 4-2 and 4-3 last night. I loved 4-1 so much but I didn't care for 4-2 much at all. Can't stand still outside for a minute otherwise you just get shot and man does it suck that those creatures come back to life if you don't kill the grim reaper guy fast enough. I like to take my time and am very cautious usually but on the 10th time through, I was just running by guys trying to get to the end. :lol Both bosses were super easy, but that's probably because I'm overleveled for a first time playthrough.

Now I have to decide whether I'd like to tackle 3-2 or 5-2 next. Not really looking forward to either world for some reason.

do you wear thief ring in 4-2? if you have thief ring, those manta birds would leave you alone

Flo_Evans

Ifrit said:
:lol It happens to all of us

How did it went?

Almost died on the tutorial level... not a good sign

OMFG a huge boss in the tutorial!... DEAD. OK I guess that was supposed to happen?

I am in some strange NEXUS place? NPCs not very helpful, they just talk nonsense.

OK 1st stage, strange messages scattered around, occasionally see some phantoms (other dead players?) running around. Blood pools showing others getting owned, don't feel so bad.

GAH! the shield does nothing against molotov cocktails. DIE.

Make it back to the stairs and get my souls back, give molotov guys some more respect.

I get to the top of the wall then I see a message that says "NOT FOR BEGINNERS!" RED KNIGHT WTF? DIE.

Go back again, try the other way. This time killed by a blue knight :lol He doesn't seem as tough as the red one so I go and try again and kill him.

Find some other knight that asks for help, he gives me a telescope or something... can't figure out how to actually use it. Figure it's a quest item or something.

Getting the hang of the combat, going deeper into the castle. Sword breaks. OK I found another one earlier. Looking at stats screen... what? Oh well this sword is not broken it must be better. Sword is too heavy to one hand. OK, best defense is a good offense right? Not really! Get owned by 2 spear guys rushing me.

Look at the clock and it's 3am! :lol

Turn off PS3 and cry myself to sleep.

Canova

Banned
Flo_Evans said:
OK 1st stage, strange messages scattered around, occasionally see some phantoms (other dead players?) running around. Blood pools showing others getting owned, don't feel so bad.

Those white ghosts are real-time images of other players. I like them, they keep me company in dark levels

Flo_Evans

canova said:
Those white ghosts are real-time images of other players. I like them, they keep me company in dark levels

Yeah I figured that out after reading the wiki. They can't join/invade your game until after you beat the first level though right?

This game is really old-school (while at the same time supporting some pretty interesting online concepts!) The atmosphere is creepy as fuck and totally awesome.

I wish I had picked this up a long time ago instead of the week GT5 came out...

Canova

Banned
Flo_Evans said:
Yeah I figured that out after reading the wiki. They can't join/invade your game until after you beat the first level though right?

This game is really old-school (while at the same time supporting some pretty interesting online concepts!) The atmosphere is creepy as fuck and totally awesome.

I wish I had picked this up a long time ago instead of the week GT5 came out...

no, the white ghosts aren't the ones you have to worry about

Be wary when you venture outside in a body form...:D

archnemesis said:
"Dead is dead. You don't get to come back from that, not even here."

But I thought he already was dead, he mentioned some stuff about him trying to beat the king and getting killed. So he's a oneshot pony - should I save him for one proper go at the king or should I just go for it and don't mind if he dies?

Captain Knutsman said:
But I thought he already was dead, he mentioned some stuff about him trying to beat the king and getting killed. So he's a oneshot pony - should I save him for one proper go at the king or should I just go for it and don't mind if he dies?

He doesn't help you against the False King. He doesn't even really help all that much against the Dragon - not like against the Penetrator anyway. He is worth keeping alive though if you want to complete the Mephistopheles quest in the late game - but if you want to do that quest then it is best not to finish 1-4 anyway

Zzoram

Flo_Evans said:

OMFG a huge boss in the tutorial!... DEAD. OK I guess that was supposed to happen?

I am in some strange NEXUS place? NPCs not very helpful, they just talk nonsense.

Make it back to the stairs and get my souls back, give molotov guys some more respect.

I get to the top of the wall then I see a message that says "NOT FOR BEGINNERS!" RED KNIGHT WTF? DIE.

Go back again, try the other way. This time killed by a blue knight :lol He doesn't seem as tough as the red one so I go and try again and kill him.

Find some other knight that asks for help, he gives me a telescope or something... can't figure out how to actually use it. Figure it's a quest item or something.

Getting the hang of the combat, going deeper into the castle. Sword breaks. OK I found another one earlier. Looking at stats screen... what? Oh well this sword is not broken it must be better. Sword is too heavy to one hand. OK, best defense is a good offense right? Not really! Get owned by 2 spear guys rushing me.

There are some grindstones to repair weapons. You can also repair weapons at the blacksmith in Nexus if you can afford the souls(repairs are usually cheap).

In 1-1 you can farm the blue knight. Don't go through the fog door he guards yet, go straight to the end then down the stairs to open a gate as a shortcut to the blue knight. Also you'll see some chains on a platform in that stairwell, cut them and items will fall down to the shortcut gate area.

thcsquad

Flo_Evans said:

This was awesome because I just went through that over the past couple of days. I found the spear guys not too hard using a lighter sword that I could carry with a shield. It kind of sucks that the only sword you have is too heavy. By the end of 1-1 I had found like three Mail Breakers off various enemies and corpses, in addition to that heavy as hell Bastard Sword which I haven't used yet.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
thcsquad said:
This was awesome because I just went through that over the past couple of days. I found the spear guys not too hard using a lighter sword that I could carry with a shield. It kind of sucks that the only sword you have is too heavy. By the end of 1-1 I had found like three Mail Breakers off various enemies and corpses, in addition to that heavy as hell Bastard Sword which I haven't used yet.

If you start with a class that can handle the Bastard Sword with two hands, the Phalanx boss is a breeze (especially with the barbarian). It won't know what hit it. :D

thcsquad

Sword Familiar said:
If you start with a class that can handle the Bastard Sword with two hands, the Phalanx boss is a breeze (especially with the barbarian). It won't know what hit it. :D

I'm a Hunter, and it said it was out of my skill level and will be suboptimal (or something). It was still a breeze, though, with a Scimitar. I had 6x turpentine from enemy drops and some hidden treasure, so I just coated the Scimitar, kept my shield up, and went to town. I had to run off and heal a couple of times, but at no point was I in real danger.

Can't wait to start this tonight!

Considering I know next to nothing about it. Was tempted to look up some tips but I think i'll just go in cold and get my ass kicked :lol

Sword Familiar

thcsquad said:
I'm a Hunter, and it said it was out of my skill level and will be suboptimal (or something). It was still a breeze, though, with a Scimitar. I had 6x turpentine from enemy drops and some hidden treasure, so I just coated the Scimitar, kept my shield up, and went to town. I had to run off and heal a couple of times, but at no point was I in real danger.

Yes. However; I wasn't saying it isn't easy either way, but you can do it significantly faster by using the bastard sword + turp. It has a wider slash range which I find especially effective against the surrounding hoplites.

Dreavus

Put me on the list of people waiting for a copy (should be here tomorrow!) :D

Would it be suicide to try a more advanced class like Thief for my first playthrough?

Draft

I'm the man. I just took out Flamelurker and the Dragon God. Spoil this for me: does the Dragon God do anything after you have him pinned to the mountain? I was super wary and just sniped him with soul arrows from on top of the cliff :lol

I'm kind of digging my character now. I stumbled on a crescent falchion that gets +damage from spell power, and since I'd spent a bunch of points on spell power, it does pretty sick damage. I'm now mixing it up with most enemies using that and the adjudicator shield, but keep my trusty silver catalyst and kris blade for sniping.

Is there a trick to being able to roll normally in heavy armor? Do I need more strength, stamina, etc?

Sword Familiar

Draft said:
I'm the man. I just took out Flamelurker and the Dragon God. Spoil this for me: does the Dragon God do anything after you have him pinned to the mountain? I was super wary and just sniped him with soul arrows from on top of the cliff :lol

He'll breathe hot air every now and then that damages you if you stand directly infront of it.

Is there a trick to being able to roll normally in heavy armor? Do I need more strength, stamina, etc?

It's related to your endurance, which increases your equip burden. If you want to be able to roll, you can only equip items up to half your total equip burden. So if you have a total of 40, you can only wear 20, including any equipped weapons/shields.

You could also equip a ring of great strength, which boosts your total equip burden. Don't remember by how much, but it's quite a bit. Not worth it though, imo, since you only have two slots and there are other rings that have more useful effects. It all depends on what type of character you want to use though so feel free to experiment.

Draft

I see great.

Also just got invaded for the first time. 1-3. Fought him on the stairs just after the area starts. Pushed his shit in.

Just as another guy invaded, I got killed by assassins :lol

As someone about to start playing this tonight how often do you guys get invaded?

Also curious as to how powerful someone who invades can be? Ie. within the same level range or something?

Zzoram

DualShadow said:
As someone about to start playing this tonight how often do you guys get invaded?

Also curious as to how powerful someone who invades can be? Ie. within the same level range or something?

If you're in body form, invasions are semi-common. However, the vast majority of the game is in soul form so you don't actually get invaded very often. You only really have body form after beating a boss in your game or coop helping someone else beating a boss, and you go back to soul form the next time you die.

tafer

DualShadow said:

Black phantoms are around your level, and don't worry if you find yourself fighting a godlike black phantom... some veterans love to have low level characters but with high level gears to help/destroy low level players. (I know I did :lol
help!
)

Canova

Banned
DualShadow said:

Invaders are always lower level than you

Nowadays new players have it easy, the number of invasions has reduced greatly

thcsquad

canova said:
Invaders are always lower level than you

Nowadays new players have it easy, the number of invasions has reduced greatly

Plus I've spent about 1% of the game in body form so far, and I don't see this changing, so I'm not too worried about invasions.

Beat the Red-Eyed Knight in 1-1. I did it cheaply though, just Soul Arrowing him, running back to the room until he gives up, rinse and repeat. I did it this way after he somehow healed himself when I was doing it the melee way, catching me off guard and killing me.

I've done parts of 1-2 and 2-1 each, and am now deciding which to go and finish next. Leaning towards 1-2, as I'm more used to the enemy types.

Zzoram

Ya some knights have healing grass to eat so you have to try to take advantage when you see them start the eating animation.

tafer said:
... and don't worry if you find yourself fighting a godlike black phantom... some veterans love to have low level characters but with high level gears to help/destroy low level players.

Yup, minimum STR/DEX requirements, then, +10 weapon/shield/armor of choice. Basically makes them as strong (or stronger) than most in-game BPs (even BWT ones).

Fuck those people. Seriously.

I have also done this.

Sword Familiar

NEOPARADIGM said:
Yup, minimum STR/DEX requirements, then, +10 weapon/shield/armor of choice. Basically makes them as strong (or stronger) than most in-game BPs (even BWT ones).

Fuck those people. Seriously.

I have also done this.

I had a lv 14 character I did something similar with. It was fun, but it felt kinda cheap.

Fucking Adjucator! I got greedy, I had 20 K souls on my temple knight ( LVL 36) and I decided to take him on. I hadn't died on any of the previous bosses but this guy just 2 hit me. Gahhh

Question 1: I have 17 in Intelligence and 16 in Faith but I still only have the 3 basic miracles available in Nexus. Where can I find more?

Q2: I'm still rocking the starting armor for my character and so far I have finished 1-1,1-2,2-1,3-1,4-1. Where do I get better armor?

Thanks!

Welp, I took the plunge and ordered Demon's Souls. I have way too many games to play right now, but I'll make some room for DS and post my fledgling, initial impressions. I'm not going to read any FAQs or Guides either - I'm going to tackle this all by myself.

Canova

Banned
diarrhea_pangs said:
Fucking Adjucator! I got greedy, I had 20 K souls on my temple knight ( LVL 36) and I decided to take him on. I hadn't died on any of the previous bosses but this guy just 2 hit me. Gahhh

Question 1: I have 17 in Intelligence and 16 in Faith but I still only have the 3 basic miracles available in Nexus. Where can I find more?

Q2: I'm still rocking the starting armor for my character and so far I have finished 1-1,1-2,2-1,3-1,4-1. Where do I get better armor?

Thanks!

you need to save a priest in 4-1 who will teach you advanced miracles.

You will find better armors eventually, don't sweat it

Lé Blade Runner said:
Welp, I took the plunge and ordered Demon's Souls. I have way too many games to play right now, but I'll make some room for DS and post my fledgling, initial impressions. I'm not going to read any FAQs or Guides either - I'm going to tackle this all by myself.

Good for you Demon's Slayer! come back here once in a while and post your impressions

oracrest

Lé Blade Runner said:
I'm not going to read any FAQs or Guides either - I'm going to tackle this all by myself.

Best way to do it! Figuring out all the secrets you missed the first time is what NG+ is all about. Plus the feeling of first hand discovery and accomplishment in this game is insane.

I was able to defeat Vanguard, and was pleasantly surprised to discover the last hidden area in the tutorial that I had never seen/knew about before. Truly the game that keeps on giving!

How many hours have you guys sunk into it? :D

My journey begins sometime next week, as it takes a while for the order to post ( I live in Finland and ordered the game from the United Kingdom - hey, I'm saving almost 20€! ).

MrWisker

2 characters at about 150 hours each. 1st was a priest and the second a Royal.

Once I got to NG(+7) I spent most of my time helping others as a blue phantom. Never really got into invading other peoples games.

Canova

Banned
Lé Blade Runner said:
How many hours have you guys sunk into it? :D

My journey begins sometime next week, as it takes a while for the order to post ( I live in Finland and ordered the game from the United Kingdom - hey, I'm saving almost 20€! ).

too many

Top Bottom