• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Draft

:lol

I wonder how disappointing it is to be summoned as a red phantom during the Old Monk fight only to have the "hero" get his ass murdered by a black phantom mind flayer. A big eff you to the guy who thought it would make sense to do that summon with TWO of those guys blocking the way AND to pair it up with a 30 second long unskippable cutscene.

Cool fight, even though the only times I managed to get there he was controlled by AI.

Hoping to put some decent hours into this over the weekend!

Got it a couple of days ago and still haven't had a chance to start it :lol

thcsquad

Managed to beat the Tower Knight without dying once. Sniped him with Soul Arrows and regular arrows until I was out, then went downstairs to do the last 40% or so. Came close to dying a couple times but I generally stayed behind him and he rarely tried to turn around.

Also, in 2-1 I was invaded for the first time! I ran back to an area I had already gone through when I got the message. Caught him in the first cavern area and killed him in a frantic melee duel, though I was pretty close to death myself. Sorry, nuclear-19, but I murdered your face. It didn't look like you brought a shield, so that makes sense. And I won't be getting invaded anytime soon, because I went back to fight the Red-Eyed Knight in 1-1 again (fairly this time) and he killed me. So my remaining 2-1 experience will be in peace.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Draft said:

I wonder how disappointing it is to be summoned as a red phantom during the Old Monk fight only to have the "hero" get his ass murdered by a black phantom mind flayer. A big eff you to the guy who thought it would make sense to do that summon with TWO of those guys blocking the way AND to pair it up with a 30 second long unskippable cutscene.

Cool fight, even though the only times I managed to get there he was controlled by AI.
The black phantom mind flayers are pushovers as long as you wear some kind of stealthing ring and run in for an attack when they are walking away from you.

ZeroRay

Dance In My Blood said:
The black phantom mind flayers are pushovers as long as you wear some kind of stealthing ring and run in for an attack when they are walking away from you.

At higher levels I usually see the host use Anti-Magic Field and just plow through them.

Quick question: what does 'getting invaded' mean within the context of this game? If the answer is too spoilerish ( as I don't want to know everything about the game before I start playing ), don't answer. :)

Lé Blade Runner said:
Quick question: what does 'getting invaded' mean within the context of this game? If the answer is too spoilerish ( as I don't want to know everything about the game before I start playing ), don't answer. :)

I don't think it's very spoilerish, as it's better to be prepared for it: other players can invade your game, kill you, and take your souls (and regain their body in the process). And, of course, you can do the same thing (eventually).

As an aside, I don't entirely recommend the approach you're taking. Unless you're ultra-hardcore, you're gonna want to know certain things. Trust me. :lol

edit: I kinda misread you. Disregard last comment as necessary.

Draft said:

Very annoying. Especially when it goes like this 3 times in a row :

- set black stone
- black stone fails time and time again
- finally works ! Yay invasion !
- watch same cutscene for the nth time
- wait
- wait a bit more
- rearrange chairs
- wait some more
- run around in circles
- hear some footsteps
- "ding-ding-ding"
- "TARGET WAS DESTROYED - You plunder human's soul - What an excellent demon!"
- "Objective met - Returning to your own world"

fffuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

NEOPARADIGM said:
I don't think it's very spoilerish, as it's better to be prepared for it: other players can invade your game, kill you, and take your souls (and regain their body in the process). And, of course, you can do the same thing (eventually).

As an aside, I don't entirely recommend the approach you're taking. Unless you're ultra-hardcore, you're gonna want to know certain things. Trust me. :lol

edit: I kinda misread you. Disregard last comment as necessary.

I can always use this thread for questions or go to GameFaqs for tips if the game gets too frustrating, but I'm kind of wishing for a hardcore experience and something that will last me a good while. Seems like Demon's Souls answers to both needs. :) I'm not a complete masochist, though, so I will ask for help before I throw the controller out the window, I promise. :D

Zzoram

The only thing everyone must know is, in 3-2 you free Yurt. Don't let him go back to Nexus alive. He kills other vendor NPCs making the game way harder.

Lé Blade Runner said:
I can always use this thread for questions or go to GameFaqs for tips if the game gets too frustrating, but I'm kind of wishing for a hardcore experience and something that will last me a good while. Seems like Demon's Souls answers to both needs. :) I'm not a complete masochist, though, so I will ask for help before I throw the controller out the window, I promise. :D

Yeah, yeah man - that's why I said I don't entirely recommend the approach, because at certain level, I absolutely do. :D

Dreavus

Zzoram said:
The only thing everyone must know is, in 3-2 you free Yurt. Don't let him go back to Nexus alive. He kills other vendor NPCs making the game way harder.

Whoa, holy shit, good to know. My copy just arrived today but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

Anything else borderline game-breaking we should know about? :lol

For anyone still on the fence (you've got to be crazy by now) I just thought I'd mention that Demon's Souls is a Black Friday special for $14.99 on Amazon. Pick it up while it lasts (3 hours or until all claimed)!!

Decided to finally fire up this game and give it a go.

Is there anything else I should read before diving in? Besides the newbie threads on gamefaqs.

Started playing this tonight, I beat 1-1, without dieing which I was happy about. But not sure where to go from there. 2-1 seems a bit out of my depth :lol

Also the usual questions about which stats for a temple knight, ill prob be a melee char mostly. I'll look at some quick guides tomorrow as well.

Noogy

Well, after an 8 month hiatus, I finally beat this game last night. Soul Level 100 and around 60 hours in. I admit that I probably made myself WAY too overpowered for the last several encounters (5-2 took me a single try.. slow but easy), but at least I'm ready for NG+ :) GOTCentury.

DualShadow said:
Started playing this tonight, I beat 1-1, without dieing which I was happy about. But not sure where to go from there. 2-1 seems a bit out of my depth :lol

In order of easiness:

1. 1-1
2. 1-2
3. 2-1
4. 3-1 (but confusing and maze-like, some would flip this with 4-1)
5. 4-1
6. 5-1

edit: re-reading this post, thinking about it from a purely noob perspective, they're all fucking hard in their own way. :lol

1-2 and then 2-1 is how I did it, though.

Canova

Banned
Baller said:
Decided to finally fire up this game and give it a go.

Is there anything else I should read before diving in? Besides the newbie threads on gamefaqs.

just go with the flow for now. Stuffing more information than you can process to your brain will ruin the game.

Captain Knutsman said:
Is it possible to get blue phantom help for the maneaters? If so I would like some, sl58 eu servers

It's possible, but rare. You can summon right outside their door. Throw a "If only I had some friends" or "you can summon here" message. But like I said, chances are pretty slim from what I've seen.

I'll rather power up and do it alone then, haven't got the patience to stand about waiting :) Went and rescued Freke and will probably use warding to help me survive the battle, so lets see how it goes one of the next days I have time.

soldat7

Zzoram said:

One of the most brilliant levels I've played in any game, ever. The encounters, the level design, and the final battle...all reek of utter brilliance. That whole level is chock full of surprises.

Just picked this up this morning and all i can say is WOW. This game is hardcore but extremely fair. I now see what everyone was talking about. Looking forward to not sucking.

Zzoram

DualShadow said:

Also the usual questions about which stats for a temple knight, ill prob be a melee char mostly. I'll look at some quick guides tomorrow as well.
Vitality and Endurance are always good but stop around 40 each. Eventually make a Blessed Mirdan Hammer +5 and boost faith to 40 too. Everything else can stay at the starter level.

Zzoram

Draft said:
30,000 souls... lost forever... because I fell off a cliff.

5-1 and 4-2 can suck a fat dick. Falling sucks.
4-2 falling happens a lot if you accidentally have autolock switch to a manta and are pressing move forward. Beware of autolock on this level, try not to move if you're using it. Lure enemies onto solid ground if you can.

Draft

Zzoram said:
4-2 falling happens a lot if you accidentally have autolock switch to a manta and are pressing move forward. Beware of autolock on this level, try not to move if you're using it. Lure enemies onto solid ground if you can.
I actually managed to roll right off a ledge in one of the reaper areas.

Is there a trick to dodging the Macross laser that some of those invisible dudes shoot? I thought maybe I could roll underneath of it, but that doesn't seem to work.

Zzoram

Draft said:

Is there a trick to dodging the Macross laser that some of those invisible dudes shoot? I thought maybe I could roll underneath of it, but that doesn't seem to work.
I kill reaper with a bow from long distance and when he dies all his minions do too. I've only once even seen a reaper soul ray.

Canova

Banned
Draft said:

if you have dark silver shield, you can block magic attack 100%

thcsquad

DualShadow said:

I hate you, by the way.

oracrest

Draft said:

Those guys were a huge pain for me with my magic character. My winning strategy was to sprint at them full speed, and reach them before their sweep hit me. If you standing right up next to them, the laser will go over your head. Thief ring helps a lot with this, giving you more time before they shoot.

oracrest said:
Those guys were a huge pain for me with my magic character. My winning strategy was to sprint at them full speed, and reach them before their sweep hit me. If you standing right up next to them, the laser will go over your head. Thief ring helps a lot with this, giving you more time before they shoot.
This is the best advice. Kill the first one, run to the left of the second one. Hit the reaper and force him to fall off the ledge. Watch out for the female.

Woot finally beat the game. Onto to NG+ just beat the phalanx, onto beat all 3 of level 2 and get gods wrath.

thcsquad said:
I hate you, by the way.

I was pretty careful and paid attention to the messages that people were kind enough to leave. If it makes you feel better I went to 2-1 from there and got slaughtered a few times :lol

zlatko

Banned
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
For anyone still on the fence (you've got to be crazy by now) I just thought I'd mention that Demon's Souls is a Black Friday special for $14.99 on Amazon. Pick it up while it lasts (3 hours or until all claimed)!!

And I'll mention I'm beating that price by selling my old copy for $14.00 complete with free shipping anywhere in the continental USA.

Zzoram

zlatko said:
And I'll mention I'm beating that price by selling my old copy for $14.00 complete with free shipping anywhere in the continental USA.
Did you buy the greatest hits special edition to replace it?

This game is crazy. I find myself getting angry to the point that I start to get a headache. And then I keep playing. I don't understand, it's like I hate it more than anything in the world but I can't put it down. Strange game.

Draft

Demon's Souls: Defeated.

Overall, great game. Project Dark or whatever it's called is now a first day purchase. Northern Regalia makes me feel like a bad man.

Zzoram

Draft said:
Demon's Souls: Defeated.

Overall, great game. Project Dark or whatever it's called is now a first day purchase. Northern Regalia makes me feel like a bad man.

You really powered through the game. Haven't you only had it for like a week?

Draft

Zzoram said:
You really powered through the game. Haven't you only had it for like a week?
Oh no, I've had Demon's Souls for like a month. My game clock is around 40 hours, and I think I'm somewhere near Soul Level 70.

That's actually a testament to the game's quality. I never sink 40 hours into single player games anymore, and if I can't defeat them in like a week, there's a chance they'll never get defeated.

Zzoram

Draft said:
Oh no, I've had Demon's Souls for like a month. My game clock is around 40 hours, and I think I'm somewhere near Soul Level 70.

That's actually a testament to the game's quality. I never sink 40 hours into single player games anymore, and if I can't defeat them in like a week, there's a chance they'll never get defeated.

I think I'm also around 40hrs at SL70 but I've been grinding stones to craft weapons for use/trophies. I haven't actually beaten a boss in a while but I'm getting ready to beat 1-3. I've already done a test run through the level, those thief ring wearing assassins are pretty deadly. They just pop out of nowhere and throw darts.

iam220

Got this game a few weeks ago and been playing it here and there. It has some tight fighting mechanics and I like that, but a lot of its "difficulty" comes solely from the death/souls system. Anyways, 1-1 was kinda easy but 1-2 is kicking my ass a little. Was there something I was supposed to do in between? Like upgrade armor, skills or something? Maybe character is dying way too fast in 1-2.

Zzoram

iam220 said:
Got this game a few weeks ago and been playing it here and there. It has some tight fighting mechanics and I like that, but a lot of its "difficulty" comes solely from the death/souls system. Anyways, 1-1 was kinda easy but 1-2 is kicking my ass a little. Was there something I was supposed to do in between? Like upgrade armor, skills or something? Maybe character is dying way too fast in 1-2.

What class did you start with? Well after beating 1-1 you're allowed to level up. I think you have to talk to the Monumental first (top floor of Nexus sitting in a circular room with dead monks) then talking to the Maiden lets you spend souls to increase stat points. The blacksmith also lets you repair/upgrade weapons. What is giving you trouble in 1-2?

Some people do 2-1 and even 2-2 before 1-2.

Top Bottom