• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

oracrest said:
That is a bad NPC to have killed, but to be honest, when I beat it the first time, it was with Long Sword +10, which is a Boldwin weapon. You could use it as an opportunity to do the Mephistopheles quests if you want. I'll let you go to the wiki and see what that entails if you decide you want to do that.

Fuck - So i just upped the difficulty on my first playthrough... Great :) I don't really see how this quest helps, but maybe I'll do it later in the game.

Zzoram

Got a bunch of trophies for crafting today. Demon's Souls' bronze trophies are harder to get than gold trophies for most games :lol

For the 2-2 crystal lizard nest, what's the best way to maximize kills without God's Wrath? Turns out I picked Fireball (lol) last year when I was stupid. I tried using a bow but it's really hard to get a vantage point that actually lets you shoot the lizards. Taking it slow with Thief's Ring and my bow, I managed to kill most of them with only 2 or 3 escaping.

Mostly I just want some Chunks of Hardstone to get the Hardstone+10 trophy.

Epix

I want to buy this game for my dad. He likes these types of games (Dragon Age, FF, etc) but he can get frustrated easily when the game requires a lot of quick physical reactions and unforgiving gameplay. I've been reading some reviews that all seem to mention the difficulty and save mechanics and so forth and I'm debating whether he'll really enjoy it or throw his controller into the pool. Any advice?

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Epix said:
I want to buy this game for my dad. He likes these types of games (Dragon Age, FF, etc) but he can get frustrated easily when the game requires a lot of quick physical reactions and unforgiving gameplay. I've been reading some reviews that all seem to mention the difficulty and save mechanics and so forth and I'm debating whether he'll really enjoy it or throw his controller into the pool. Any advice?
I will tell you this much: Demon's Souls is nothing like Dragon Age or FF.
Your dad will throw his controller into the pool, then throw the pool into the ocean.
Then disown you.

Seriously, if you're specifically talking about the combat then it's very possible to take the game slow (at least at first). But later on even if you leave out parry/reporte, there's a lot that comes down to quick thinking/reactions.

With that said, everyone with a PS3 should experience this game. Plus if he finds it too frustrating, you can take it off his hands ;)

Zzoram

Epix said:
You have unlimited lives. It's one of those games where dying shouldn't matter but some people have it in their head that it does since it's not a 2D platformer or schmup. However, it is like a platformer or schmup in the sense that you need to die to learn the level design and boss patterns and unlock shortcuts. When you die you lose all the souls (it's money and experience) you had unspent on you. If you can make it back to the spot you were at 5 seconds before dying you can recover what you lost from your bloodstain. If you die again before recovering it you lose that bloodstain forever.

It really doesn't matter. Getting more souls is easy and losing them while working your way through a level is fine. The only time you don't want to lose souls is when you're specifically grinding souls. Even then, it's often fastest to kill the enemy being farmed then jump off a cliff to respawn at the start of the level instead of going to town and back. You then recover your bloodstain when you kill it again then suicide again. It's only frustrating if you've accumulated a huge amount of souls like this then forget to recover them or accidentally die before recovering them because you did something different, but that's entirely your own fault.

Also note you don't have to actually ever grind, it's a choice and makes the game easier to have better gear or be a higher level. You can pretty much beat the game at level 1 with starter gear with enough skill and knowledge.

Regarding the dying thing, I don't find it particularly annoying when dying causes me to lose some measly souls. What is irritating is when you die on a boss in a long level, without shortcuts, forcing you to go through all of the level again, just to get another shot at the boss. Luckily, there are only a couple of levels without shortcuts that are long enough to be irritating if you die.

Zzoram

hydrophilic attack said:
Regarding the dying thing, I don't find it particularly annoying when dying causes me to lose some measly souls. What is irritating is when you die on a boss in a long level, without shortcuts, forcing you to go through all of the level again, just to get another shot at the boss. Luckily, there are only a couple of levels without shortcuts that are long enough to be irritating if you die.
Which levels have no shortcuts? I thought they all had at least one.

As for going back through a leek to fight the boss, it's the same way in Mario or schmups. That's another reason why I think Demon's souls is best compared to a platformer or schmup in terms of death.

Zzoram said:
Which levels have no shortcuts? I thought they all had at least one.

As for going back through a leek to fight the boss, it's the same way in Mario or schmups. That's another reason why I think Demon's souls is best compared to a platformer or schmup in terms of death.
i think you can argue 4-1, 4-2 and 1-2 do not technically have shortcuts.

oracrest

Epix said:

Sounds like a gamble. The game relies on those aspects of quick physical control. The caveat is that it isn't "cheap" difficulty, and the experience is rich and memorable.

Has he played Monster Hunter? It plays more like that then Dragon Age.

5-1 does not have one. all of the 4s lack one as well.

1-4 has no shortcut. i just want to fight the boss, not deal with those two fat jackasses. I killed the dragon really easy but just getting to the king is a chore. I think i wasted my yellow soul. Homing Soul Arrow is a POS an insanity catalyst would have helped a lot more.

Elcheris

Neo Member
Just started this up again as a Thief, have tried out Wanderer and Barbarian so far. I guess I hate myself, I have never had the luxury of heavy armor =(

Elcheris said:
Just started this up again as a Thief, have tried out Wanderer and Barbarian so far. I guess I hate myself, I have never had the luxury of heavy armor =(
Losing the ability to roll would devastate me.

Zzoram said:
Demon's Souls' bronze trophies are harder to get than gold trophies for most games :lol

So my nephew sends me a message, he wants the Friend's Ring, a chunk of Bladestone, and the Soulbrant. "Okay," I said. He says, "I'll give you some stuff." I couldn't care less, whatever.

He drops a pile of whatnot, I pick it up.

Trophy
Trophy
Trophy
Trophy
Trophy
Trophy

From 47% to 54% in ten seconds. :lol

It felt pretty dirty, but man, what a rush for a second there! Now I have to start a new character to take advantage of all the time I just saved and make a run at the plat! :D

So I met the Maneaters... That sucked. First attemp was just quick death, second time I wore my magic items (monk hat and magic ring) since i saw the maneater didn't use magic. My strategy seemed to work fine, I zapped soul arrows doing 200 points of damage per shot and dodged damage but once the second maneater arrived the battle just got unpredictable, so I made my peace and died a chaotic death. I don't really see the pattern I am supposed to dance around, but I think I could manage them with some luck. I feel a bit sad having to rely on luck in this game :l

Zzoram

NEOPARADIGM said:
So my nephew sends me a message, he wants the Friend's Ring, a chunk of Bladestone, and the Soulbrant. "Okay," I said. He says, "I'll give you some stuff." I couldn't care less, whatever.

He drops a pile of whatnot, I pick it up.

Trophy
Trophy
Trophy
Trophy
Trophy
Trophy

From 47% to 54% in ten seconds. :lol

It felt pretty dirty, but man, what a rush for a second there! Now I have to start a new character to take advantage of all the time I just saved and make a run at the plat! :D
I have a feeling that I'll enjoy the game even more once I'm done the trophies because I won't have to think about them anymore. I'm a bit of a completionist so it's hard for me not to always be thinking about trophies.

Zzoram

Captain Knutsman said:
So I met the Maneaters... That sucked. First attemp was just quick death, second time I wore my magic items (monk hat and magic ring) since i saw the maneater didn't use magic. My strategy seemed to work fine, I zapped soul arrows doing 200 points of damage per shot and dodged damage but once the second maneater arrived the battle just got unpredictable, so I made my peace and died a chaotic death. I don't really see the pattern I am supposed to dance around, but I think I could manage them with some luck. I feel a bit sad having to rely on luck in this game :l
Supposedly you can cheese the first one by hitting him through the fog door with arrows to kill him. You'll need like 200+ heavy arrows though so I hope you finished the patches missions so he's in nexus sitting at the 3rd arch.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Can someone tell me where Sage Freke is? He used to be behind one of the pillars, but now he's gone. Did the game bug out on me? I've tried restarting but to no avail. :(

EDIT: Wow. I think Yurt killed him. Bastard.

oracrest

UltimaKilo said:

Yurt strikes again!

Q3j3A.jpg

Canova

Banned
UltimaKilo said:
Can someone tell me where Sage Freke is? He used to be behind one of the pillars, but now he's gone. Did the game bug out on me? I've tried restarting but to no avail. :(

kill him now, he's gonna start killing your NPCs one by one

Epix

B-Genius said:
I will tell you this much: Demon's Souls is nothing like Dragon Age or FF.
Your dad will throw his controller into the pool, then throw the pool into the ocean.
Then disown you.

Seriously, if you're specifically talking about the combat then it's very possible to take the game slow (at least at first). But later on even if you leave out parry/reporte, there's a lot that comes down to quick thinking/reactions.

With that said, everyone with a PS3 should experience this game. Plus if he finds it too frustrating, you can take it off his hands ;)

Ordered. Worst case is it'll end up being mine after he uses the manual to kill my stepmother.

Zzoram

Do people actually parry? I found the timing impossible and gave up on it long ago. I just block with a shield or roll away.

Holy Shit, are you guys saying a NPC goes around and kills other important NPC's you need? :lol

That's crazy haha, I haven't played the game yet so that's just my understanding of what you guys are saying.

Zzoram said:
Do people actually parry? I found the timing impossible and gave up on it long ago. I just block with a shield or roll away.

I just block. Sometimes, I might use a roll to get out of the way if my stamina gets low.

Anyway, I just beat black phantom Satsuki and black phantom Miralda. They weren't too bad, actually. Miralda was really easy since all her attacks were blockable. Satsuki was a little harder, due to him using healing grass, forcing me to be a bit more aggressive once his health is low. That is a bit risky since he can kill me in one hit if he actually gets a hit in.

Now that I've got pure black world tendency, I go through all of the levels again to find the primeval demon and the extra "normal enemy" black phantom. Alas, I fear this is making me a bit overleveled; I'm currently level 72. Still, I only have one more boss to kill before endgame, so I get it's not that bad.

Zzoram

DualShadow said:
Holy Shit, are you guys saying a NPC goes around and kills other important NPC's you need? :lol

That's crazy haha, I haven't played the game yet so that's just my understanding of what you guys are saying.
There is an NPC named Yurt you can save from the prison world. He's evil and will start killing NPCs in town if you don't kill him immediately. Usually you'll find and free a vendor NPC first so you wouldn't be expecting Yurt to be evil unless you read about it online.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I got the bug again and started NG+... man what a kick in the balls. Still haven't beaten 1-1 :lol

I can tell from my first few attempts that if I rely much more heavily on magic I could blaze through it easily, but that just isn't my playstyle... but you take SO MUCH DAMAGE now, any split-second mistake resulting in a hit can be devastating in soul form.

RyanDG

Zzoram said:
There is an NPC named Yurt you can save from the prison world. He's evil and will start killing NPCs in town if you don't kill him immediately. Usually you'll find and free a vendor NPC first so you wouldn't be expecting Yurt to be evil unless you read about it online.

When I first ran into Yurt, I was doing so blind (without a guide). But I liked the look of his armor. So I killed him so I could take it. I guess I lucked out in that regards.

Then again I did turn around and kill all the people that Mephistopheles then asked me to anyway.

Oh and despite it being absolutely horrible for stats, I really, really like the look of the Gold mask on my character. The Gold mask, Gloom Armor, and ragged old gloves makes for a rather interesting 'look'.

Krauser Kat said:
5-1 does not have one. all of the 4s lack one as well.

1-4 has no shortcut. i just want to fight the boss, not deal with those two fat jackasses. I killed the dragon really easy but just getting to the king is a chore. I think i wasted my yellow soul. Homing Soul Arrow is a POS an insanity catalyst would have helped a lot more.

4-1 does have an (unintentional) shortcut that bypasses like 80% of the level
roll off the right hand tower above the trap and where you find key to gravedigger's cell
. 4-2 is quite short in terms of distance from start to end it's just getting past the reapers+summoned dudes that makes it feel longer.

5-1 has shortcuts also - you can drop down the platforms and skip large chunks of the level, though it can be tricky when you have to drop down into a group of dreglings.

Zzoram

Mr_Appleby said:
4-1 does have an (unintentional) shortcut that bypasses like 80% of the level
roll off the right hand tower above the trap and where you find key to gravedigger's cell
. 4-2 is quite short in terms of distance from start to end it's just getting past the reapers+summoned dudes that makes it feel longer.

5-1 has shortcuts also - you can drop down the platforms and skip large chunks of the level, though it can be tricky when you have to drop down into a group of dreglings.

I did the 4-1 shortcut and have never done the normal path, I should probably do that some time. I need to farm skeletons for another Kilij anyways. Which type has them, Gold or Silver?

Zzoram said:
Supposedly you can cheese the first one by hitting him through the fog door with arrows to kill him. You'll need like 200+ heavy arrows though so I hope you finished the patches missions so he's in nexus sitting at the 3rd arch.

No way - somebody must have really hated these guys to figure that out :) I'll give it some more trys before cheesing out on them ;)

oracrest

"Officially" beat the game a second time with my Magic User last night.

I am thinking of trying a new priest type character, and see what their magic system is all about.

Canova

Banned
oracrest said:
"Officially" beat the game a second time with my Magic User last night.

I am thinking of trying a new priest type character, and see what their magic system is all about.

Oracrest you need to try low level character. less than SL 10, 16 or 18 or something

it's very challenging and fun

Captain Knutsman said:

Buying fire spray for this battle is worth it just in the frustration it relieves. Being able to walk away while doing 60dmg for every shot was great. you should be able to kill the first one before the second one shows up. But i think if you kill one the second one mourns its death for a while (something liek 10 seconds) he just sat their screaming at the sky as i blasted him in the face. Done and done.

the shortcut thing for 4-1 is not what i considered a shortcut like moving the doors in 1-1 and pushing the plank in 5-2.

what is the best crescent weapon? i have a plus 3 moon great sword but i need smaller magic based weapon to use in tight areas.

thcsquad

After reading a couple 'the first time i was invaded' stories in this thread, I think we need a compilation of all of them. They're all top-notch :)

Btw, I just picked up the game and am still on 1-1. I can't get past the wooden structure with all of the guys throwing fire at you. I'm fighting the melee guys, and the guys perched up high throwing firebombs get me every time. I think next time I fire it up I have to do one of two things:

1. Run past the melee guys, murder the firebomb guys, then go fight the melee guys.
2. Lure the melee guys out to engage me out of range of the firebomb guys. Then murder the firebomb guys.

thcsquad said:
After reading a couple 'the first time i was invaded' stories in this thread, I think we need a compilation of all of them. They're all top-notch :)

Btw, I just picked up the game and am still on 1-1. I can't get past the wooden structure with all of the guys throwing fire at you. I'm fighting the melee guys, and the guys perched up high throwing firebombs get me every time. I think next time I fire it up I have to do one of two things:

1. Run past the melee guys, murder the firebomb guys, then go fight the melee guys.
2. Lure the melee guys out to engage me out of range of the firebomb guys. Then murder the firebomb guys.

are you inside or outside?

Zzoram

thcsquad said:

Lure melee guys. A lot of this game is separating enemies.

thcsquad

Krauser Kat said:
are you inside or outside?

Inside. Its right after you go through the fog (the area where you find a Firebomb x5 under some stairs, then go up the stairs and fight two knights). I go inside, up the stairs, there's a guard there. He's easy to dispatch because there's just one of them, but eventually I get to the point where there's about four guys attacking me at once. Two melee, and two guys perched up on other stairs with firebombs. I die there, particularly because shields do nothing against firebombs.

I'm thinking #2 will work because it's worked for me in the rest of the level.

I'm also having more problems because I am trying to practice my parry/riposte timing on all of these enemies as opposed to just hiding behind a shield. I'm getting better, but it's still tough to get the timing down so I end up taking a lot of hits.

thcsquad

Zzoram said:
I find parry too unreliable to learn the timings for each weapon and enemy. Just block or step away/roll from attacks.

That's probably best, but bringing down an enemy in one hit with that sweet riposte slowdown animation is what made me fall in love with the game :)

Zzoram

canova said:
I did lvl 1, melee and bow, no soul arrow. he's in NG+ now. stuck. :lol

Is it impossible to beat 1-1 NG+ at lvl1? Did you try upgraded weapons? A Royal lvl 1 can use a Tearing Falchion +5, Mercury Falchion +5, Mercury Estoc +5, and Dragon Short Sword +5 single handed.

Canova

Banned
Zzoram said:
Is it impossible to beat 1-1 NG+ at lvl1? can't you get a dragon +5 weapon or something?

at lvl1 you're too weak to use anything. and most likely you won't be able to get dragon+5 weapons, not enough chunk

I used dragon claymore+4, with gimped damage, I think my damage was around 200+ or something.

But once you get soulbrandt or northern regalia, they would still be gimped (and have pure black character) but you can do 300-320 damage

Top Bottom