• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

DJ_Tet

Banned
Captain Knutsman said:
Actually I prefer not to read to much, I read up on upgrades and such to plan ahead, but enemies and level I want to explore myself - and I would recommend other newcomers to do the same :)

Yeah exactly, way too many spoilers there.

I'm looking for much more basic things, like who do I have to kill to get my body back :lol

I'm sure I just haven't made it to the demon yet, but I don't know where I'm going or what I'm supposed to be doing.

Man, world 5 is such a pain in the ass on new game+. I'm seriously having more trouble with the regular depraved ones than I ever had with the red eye knights, and I can't even roll to avoid their attacks ugh. I'm trying to scour for faintstone, but I don't know how much time I can waste getting killed and backtracking through there. I completely cheesed the first boss just to be done with the initial section, and then felt bad about not using any melee on it.

Is there anywhere else in the game I can get faintstone?

Jarlaxle

Beat 3-1 tonight. I'm slowly making my way through this game. I beat about one section every time I sit down to play. I've now completed 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, 3-1, and 4-1.

I didn't really care for 3-1, especially after having just come off playing 4-1 which might be my favorite board so far. The atmosphere/scenery just felt very compelling. I got the plague from those rats and started freaking out when I couldn't stop my health from dwindling. I had to cash in some hero's souls and run back to the old lady to buy the lotus that combats the plage. The boss was a bit of a joke after realizing that his health would just regenerate. I just stood there and hammered away at him while taking half moon grass. I don't even think I used my shield. I'll probably go on to 4-2 tomorrow.

Quick question about the stones: I know what the blue stones and the black phantom stone does but does it run out if I use it or is it always there? If it does run out, how and where can I buy more of them? I've been hesitant to use them to summon anyone or invade anyone because I want to save it for when I really need it in case I can't buy more.

Jarlaxle said:
Beat 3-1 tonight. I'm slowly making my way through this game. I beat about one section every time I sit down to play. I've now completed 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, 3-1, and 4-1.

I didn't really care for 3-1, especially after having just come off playing 4-1 which might be my favorite board so far. The atmosphere/scenery just felt very compelling. I got the plague from those rats and started freaking out when I couldn't stop my health from dwindling. I had to cash in some hero's souls and run back to the old lady to buy the lotus that combats the plage. The boss was a bit of a joke after realizing that his health would just regenerate. I just stood there and hammered away at him while taking half moon grass. I don't even think I used my shield. I'll probably go on to 4-2 tomorrow.

Quick question about the stones: I know what the blue stones and the black phantom stone does but does it run out if I use it or is it always there? If it does run out, how and where can I buy more of them? I've been hesitant to use them to summon anyone or invade anyone because I want to save it for when I really need it in case I can't buy more.

You mean 5-1 with the plague rats. And those blue, white, and black stones never run out. You just keep re-using the one you have every time you do any online match.

Jarlaxle

I was just looking at the Wiki because I wanted to see what I had missed in 3-1 and realized that I guess I had played 5-1 and thought it was 3-1. Makes more sense. I feel kind of dumb. :lol

Jarlaxle

Big Icarus said:
And those blue, white, and black stones never run out. You just keep re-using the one you have every time you do any online match.

Awesome. Thank you so much. That's what I had hoped because I hadn't seen them to purchase anywhere but I was afraid of using them in case I was wrong.

Jarlaxle said:
I was just looking at the Wiki because I wanted to see what I had missed in 3-1 and realized that I guess I had played 5-1 and thought it was 3-1. Makes more sense. I feel kind of dumb. :lol
Strangely I've seen people confuse those two worlds more than any others for some reason. Maybe it's the way the Nexus is laid out.

Jarlaxle

Big Icarus said:
Strangely I've seen people confuse those two worlds more than any others for some reason. Maybe it's the way the Nexus is laid out.

That might have been it. World 1 is closest to the ground level and as you go up the stairs, it goes up to world 2. I just figured it would do the same on the other side with world 5 being at the topmost part of the stairs, but it's more like a continuous circle.

I'm glad I beat that level and now I think I understand a little more why some people don't care for that world. I'll try 3-1 tomorrow.

chessnut

this game is $20 at gamestop this week and I have a $10 online coupon to use up, so I've decided to pick it up. I almost never play rpg games, so i doubt i'll have a clue on what to buy/what class to choose/how to upgrade and all that

so gaf, i have 2 questions:
1. what would be the best class for to play with the first time?
2. what's a good site that shows what weapons/stats are good for that particular class

Canova

Banned
b.mak said:
this game is $20 at gamestop this week and I have a $10 online coupon to use up, so I've decided to pick it up. I almost never play rpg games, so i doubt i'll have a clue on what to buy/what class to choose/how to upgrade and all that

2. what's a good site that shows what weapons/stats are good for that particular class

Pick a knight/temple knight
Demon's Souls wiki, but only use the weapons stats pages, not the walkthru, try not to spoil the game
http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/

UltimaKilo said:
I can't seem to beat 2-2 boss. I'm lvl 42 Thief, but I can barely do any damage on him. I've tried many, many times. Can someone help me beat him?

I'd like to help you, I am sl 48 on the EU servers - which server are you on?

I was just looking at the Wiki because I wanted to see what I had missed in 3-1 and realized that I guess I had played 5-1 and thought it was 3-1. Makes more sense. I feel kind of dumb.

Don't feel bad, I made that mistake to and I was also freaked out be the rats ;)

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
b.mak said:

There's no "best class", it all depends on how you play. I'm a thief, and I love it.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
zerokoolpsx said:
He's weak to magic, so I used the crescent falchion if you have it. I would totally help you since I'm bored right now, but I'm sl 20. -_-

I'm not even sure how I beat him, but I just slashed away and finally got him to drop. I did equip my fire resistant ring which helped. I wish I had the spells I do now, I'm sure it would have been much easier.

Add me anyways. UltimaKilo on PSN and maybe we'll get to around the same level. My Thief is lvl 75 right now. :)

Zzoram said:
Is the best way to get large sharpstone to buy it in 2-2 going down the mineshaft? Or should I farm 2-2 miners?
Buying them from the Filthy Man saves a lot of time and is very cost-effective (1500/shard), whereas farming is a bit more tedious.

Ha! Take that, game! Finally done with 1-4. The boss was brutal! I don't really know how I feel about the whole soul drain thing. I found it really irritating to be forced to do grinding session between attempts because of that attack. Just before the try when I actually beat him, I had to grind to get back 16 levels that he had stolen from me. Not fun! But then again, because of me hating the soul drain, I really wanted to beat him and have it done with. This made the battle really tense on the attempts when I actually got somewhere.

There were two things that allowed me to beat him. First, of course, getting more familiar with his moves, learning when to attack without risking too much. But also switching to the dark silver armor set, which I found provided rather good defense. I guess most of his attacks are magic based? Also it allowed me the use of the fast roll, when I had the ring of great strength equipped. Something which could not be said for the brushwood set I used on earlier attempts.

Now I'm debating whether to beat 2-3 and then the game, or if I should try the black world tendency content out. Currently leaning toward the second alternative, but I am still undecided.

Zzoram

So I got to the filthy man in 2-2. I've never been that direction before so the BearBugs were new to me. I got a bunch of stones there but I think there are a few you have to drop from above to get.

What do you do with the lava room? It's just lava that kills you super fast.

Also, I was grinding worms a bit to get Chunk of Greystone but then got a Pure randomly. I don't even need it since I already got one from the girl in Nexus. How rare is it for a Pure to drop like that?

Zzoram said:
So I got to the filthy man in 2-2. I've never been that direction before so the BearBugs were new to me. I got a bunch of stones there but I think there are a few you have to drop from above to get.

What do you do with the lava room? It's just lava that kills you super fast.

Also, I was grinding worms a bit to get Chunk of Greystone but then got a Pure randomly. I don't even need it since I already got one from the girl in Nexus. How rare is it for a Pure to drop like that?

Equip items that give fire protection and use the fire protection spell. That should reduce the amount of damage you take. You will find some nice upgrade material. Also, don't be as stupid as I was and exceed your item burden. I did when I tried to pick up one of the items and died immediately afterwards. At once, I returned to get back the lost item, but it was lost forever. :((((

Canova

Banned
UltimaKilo said:
Man, so far I've flown through 3-1 & 3-2. Is it just me or are the bosses here pretty easy? I only have monk left.

level 75+ is pretty high for a first playthru.

don't worry though NG+ evens it up again, the difficulty jumps quite a bit

Jarlaxle

Beat 3-1 today (yes, it was actually 3-1 this time). I enjoyed this board alot more than 5-1 even though I spent way more time here. The atmosphere is just so creepy. I felt like I moved through the level very slowly, testing each cell room and creeping around every corner in fear of a mindflayer. I did get stuck for quite awhile though becuase I didn't see a side passage. I just kept going through the same floor I already had over and over again thinking I had missed a set of keys or something. The boss was pretty easy but that's probably because I'm a decent level for my first playthrough. 61 when I played this board.

On a side note, I was invaded again today. I was winning the fight pretty handily and the other guy just kept running away and using more health but it was inevitable that he would fall to me......except I rolled to the side expecting railing in the one section where there was none and fell to my death. 0-2 agianst invaders. :lol

I'm not sure whether I want to pursue 3-2 tomorrow or 4-2. I guess we'll see. This game gets better and better the more you play.

Does footsteps make noise when youre in soul form ? Cant hear my footsteps so I am uncertain :s I am wearing Yurts armor if that makes a difference?

Speaking of Yurt, was he
not supposed to attack me after I freed him from his cage and stabbed him in the back? He just let me stab him until he died?

Just spend 2 hours in world 3-2 dying to
man centipedes, dropping of ledges while killing gargoyles and dying to black mindflayer while killing him. Almost no progress what so ever, devoured all the souls I had gathered from gargoyles to level up two levels just so that I felt some progress was being made...
3-2, I will return to best you... Once I have calmed down and have another few hours to waste :)

Zzoram

Yurt doesn't do anything bad until you allow him to get back to Nexus. It's best not to allow him to get back to Nexus.

I could swear that soul form with boots still makes footsteps. I can't seem to sneak up on enemies even while walking slowly with the theif's ring. What am I doing wrong?

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
canova said:
level 75+ is pretty high for a first playthru.

don't worry though NG+ evens it up again, the difficulty jumps quite a bit

Shit, I wish I would have known this. It's kinda taking the fun away from the game. I killed the bosses in 3-2 with a few hits. I guess this is why I don't see the soul stones anymore.

Either way, I still can't kill King Doran. :(

Canova

Banned
Captain Knutsman said:
Does footsteps make noise when youre in soul form ? Cant hear my footsteps so I am uncertain :s I am wearing Yurts armor if that makes a difference?

Speaking of Yurt, was he
not supposed to attack me after I freed him from his cage and stabbed him in the back? He just let me stab him until he died?

Just spend 2 hours in world 3-2 dying to
man centipedes, dropping of ledges while killing gargoyles and dying to black mindflayer while killing him. Almost no progress what so ever, devoured all the souls I had gathered from gargoyles to level up two levels just so that I felt some progress was being made...
3-2, I will return to best you... Once I have calmed down and have another few hours to waste :)

As far as Yurt, you have to hit him at least 3 times AND do certain damage.

Canova

Banned
UltimaKilo said:
Shit, I wish I would have known this. It's kinda taking the fun away from the game. I killed the bosses in 3-2 with a few hits. I guess this is why I don't see the soul stones anymore.

Either way, I still can't kill King Doran. :(

You'd hate 3-2 boss in NG+

arotator

Neo Member
hydrophilic attack said:
Ha! Take that, game! Finally done with 1-4. The boss was brutal! I don't really know how I feel about the whole soul drain thing. I found it really irritating to be forced to do grinding session between attempts because of that attack. Just before the try when I actually beat him, I had to grind to get back 16 levels that he had stolen from me. Not fun! But then again, because of me hating the soul drain, I really wanted to beat him and have it done with. This made the battle really tense on the attempts when I actually got somewhere.

There were two things that allowed me to beat him. First, of course, getting more familiar with his moves, learning when to attack without risking too much. But also switching to the dark silver armor set, which I found provided rather good defense. I guess most of his attacks are magic based? Also it allowed me the use of the fast roll, when I had the ring of great strength equipped. Something which could not be said for the brushwood set I used on earlier attempts.

Now I'm debating whether to beat 2-3 and then the game, or if I should try the black world tendency content out. Currently leaning toward the second alternative, but I am still undecided.

Had a similar experience with 1-4 boss. I don't recommend leaving this guy until your last boss, as you won't have an opportunity to upgrade your soul level, and on account of his soul suck, when you finally do defeat him you might have 300k worth of souls like I did.

That means if you die twice in 1-1 in NG+ those are all gone. Thankfully I didn't fined 1-1 all that hard.

Things i want for a sequel or project dark

1. the ability to aim my fucking spells.
2. not have change auto target and the camera on the right stick. Fallen off so many ledges.

galperi1

Alright... did I do something wrong in the game or have I hit some type of glitch.

I am currently on 3-2 and am trying to get the key for Lord Rydell's prison in 3-1. I have Pure White World Tendency and my character has white tendency however the bridge is missing. I have tried in both soul and body form. Am I missing something?

Think I accidentally fucked myself over recently. I had glitched the game at the smith in 2-1 somehow warping myself into the wall besides the elevator. No matter what I did I could not reenter the level, and not having brought Evacuate I tried everything, including casting gods wrath. At the time the smith didn't seem to mind, and i eventually made my way out using a stone (don't remember which, maybe the white - I don't think I had a archstone at the time). Now that I came back to make a sticky bow he wanted to fight me and realising that I killed him (remember reading that once they aggro they don't go back till NG+?). So now I am stuck with what Boldwin can upgrade for me right? Which does not seem like alot :l

oracrest

Captain Knutsman said:
Think I accidentally fucked myself over recently. I had glitched the game at the smith in 2-1 somehow warping myself into the wall besides the elevator. No matter what I did I could not reenter the level, and not having brought Evacuate I tried everything, including casting gods wrath. At the time the smith didn't seem to mind, and i eventually made my way out using a stone (don't remember which, maybe the white - I don't think I had a archstone at the time). Now that I came back to make a sticky bow he wanted to fight me and realising that I killed him (remember reading that once they aggro they don't go back till NG+?). So now I am stuck with what Boldwin can upgrade for me right? Which does not seem like alot :l

That is a bad NPC to have killed, but to be honest, when I beat it the first time, it was with Long Sword +10, which is a Boldwin weapon. You could use it as an opportunity to do the Mephistopheles quests if you want. I'll let you go to the wiki and see what that entails if you decide you want to do that.

Zzoram

Captain Knutsman said:

Losing Ed sucks but you can beat the game without him. Just use him in NG+ and save up your special stones and boss souls.

Zzoram

Draft said:
How the hell do you beat the red phantom in 5-2?

I haven't gotten there but maybe you can cheese him from a super long distance with the theif's ring and a bow + arrow using manual aim to be able to shoot far beyond lock-on distance.

Draft said:
How the hell do you beat the red phantom in 5-2?

I also found him tough. You need to lure him out from the swamp so you have some maneuverability, preferably to the rather large island where you find the first giant deprived one of the level (after taking care of him and the other enemies there first, of course). I found the Dragon long sword, found near the end of 2-2, to be really useful, since it will stun the black phantom momentarily.

Best of luck to you!

Canova

Banned
DualShadow said:
This should be arriving this week so hope you guys are ready for thousands of questions about the game and what I should be doing :lol

play as a knight/temple knight. You will die a lot more, but it will make the game more fun. I know it sounds weird, but trust me

RyanDG

So I think I only have world 5 to deal with now. I'm on my first play through and decided it would be fun to play evil. So I stumbled across the Mephistopheles quest and now my Nexus is rather lonely. :lol

I like my weapon quite a bit as well - I'm using an upgraded +3 Hiltless right now. I also have a sticky compound long bow +2 that's rather nice.

The only thing I'm not really satisfied with is my choice of armor. I'm using a bizarre mix of the old ragged clothes and gloom armor that makes my character look deliciously evil. I'm hoping I can stumble across something a bit more satisfying though... I don't won't to overburden myself too much since I'm a bit roll happy, but I'm also feeling that I need something to absorb a bit more of a blow.

canova said:
play as a knight/temple knight. You will die a lot more, but it will make the game more fun. I know it sounds weird, but trust me

You're right that sounds weird :lol

I've been told to expect to die a lot.

Zzoram

Think of death in this game like NSMBW. You've got unlimited lives and dying only allows you to learn the level design and enemy attacks. Suddenly it's no big deal when you die.

The only time dying sucks is when you accidentally die while farming souls. Unless you're specifically farming souls, dying and losing a few souls while exploring doesn't matter at all.

Canova

Banned
RyanDG said:
So I think I only have world 5 to deal with now. I'm on my first play through and decided it would be fun to play evil. So I stumbled across the Mephistopheles quest and now my Nexus is rather lonely. :lol

I like my weapon quite a bit as well - I'm using an upgraded +3 Hiltless right now. I also have a sticky compound long bow +2 that's rather nice.

The only thing I'm not really satisfied with is my choice of armor. I'm using a bizarre mix of the old ragged clothes and gloom armor that makes my character look deliciously evil. I'm hoping I can stumble across something a bit more satisfying though... I don't won't to overburden myself too much since I'm a bit roll happy, but I'm also feeling that I need something to absorb a bit more of a blow.

since you like hitless, have you found Makoto?

in the end hitless may deal more damage, but as far as look, Makoto looks better. I just love it

RyanDG

canova said:
since you like hitless, have you found Makoto?

in the end hitless may deal more damage, but as far as look, Makoto looks better. I just love it

Yeppers. I was using Makoto for a while too, but I can't ignore the damage bonuses I'm getting with Hiltless right now with my stats. I keep Makoto on hand though so I can easily cut my health for my cunning rat bonus. I also like the whole sword causing me to be damaged by hurting the other person... Fits my evil persona right now.

soldat7

canova said:

I don't know if this is advice I would personally get behind. A melee focused character doesn't necessarily guarantee 'fun' on your first playthrough, IMO. With a Royal, you start with some rare items, a very nice ranged spell, and a fighting chance. I guess it depends on how easily frustrated you are.

Temple Knight on my second playthrough was indeed a ton of fun, however.

Zzoram

For new players I'd definitely recommend royal. You can still melée if you want but if it's too hard for you, royals have soul arrow and the fragrant ring to fall back on.

Top Bottom