• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Having rescued Freke I wanted to go learn Warding. I tried to take a shortcut and jump down to him from the stairs, which resulted in me dealing 3 points of damage to him (!!??) and him aggroing! Scared shitless (I recently had to kill Ed the smith because of a bug) I jumped from the couch and cut the power to the entire system! As the system booted up i was tripping nervously - the game had been very unforgiving at other points so how would Freke greet me? A sigh of relief was released as he pleasently accepted my presence as nothing had happened... No more shortcuts for me :)

Having learned Warding I finally felt ready to face the Maneaters. I developed a strategy for the black mindreaver at the stairs and was able to reach the maneaters easily. Warding proved quite effectful, but since both maneaters were dancing on me, pushing me over the ledges and in general fighting dirty, the fight took six or so tries. The final battle was pretty tense, not being able to determine which maneater was the one with the lowest health, I just pummeled the nearest one. After having the second one at a third of his health, the first one died. From there on it was a mere playground finishing the last one off! Victory was mine and oh so sweet! But it didn't last long - Lost my body form to the mind reaver going up the stairs to the old monk... First monk battle was against a (maybe naked) spear wearing dude - He had amazing stamina, and used his shield all the time, making short time of me. I returned to meet another player wearing claws, and while he had plenty of armor, the claws did not provide much cover against my crescent falchion, and although he almost had me at one point, I managed to finish him off with plenty of health. World 3 belongs to me now :D

In the beginning I really didn't appreciate 3-2 but it did have some very design, and a very good sense of exploration. Now I think I will go see what all this old king babble is about... ;)

oracrest

Unless it's another player using claws, that is a good sign that you fought the AI driven black phantom. Congrats on beating Maneater. He is by far my personal favorite boss. I can just see him floating down to the sea of corpses below his bridge, and chewing limbs off of dead knights :D

I just beat the game. This game is such a great experience. It should not be missed by anyone interested in RPGs or action games. I love the art and the oppressive atmosphere, especially in 3-1 and 5-2. Those levels just get to you. And finally, the gameplay, which was really great. I finished the game at soul level 73, so I might have been slightly overleveled.

Ifrit

Captain Knutsman said:
Having rescued Freke I wanted to go learn Warding. I tried to take a shortcut and jump down to him from the stairs, which resulted in me dealing 3 points of damage to him (!!??) and him aggroing! Scared shitless (I recently had to kill Ed the smith because of a bug) I jumped from the couch and cut the power to the entire system! As the system booted up i was tripping nervously - the game had been very unforgiving at other points so how would Freke greet me? A sigh of relief was released as he pleasently accepted my presence as nothing had happened... No more shortcuts for me :)

Having learned Warding I finally felt ready to face the Maneaters. I developed a strategy for the black mindreaver at the stairs and was able to reach the maneaters easily. Warding proved quite effectful, but since both maneaters were dancing on me, pushing me over the ledges and in general fighting dirty, the fight took six or so tries. The final battle was pretty tense, not being able to determine which maneater was the one with the lowest health, I just pummeled the nearest one. After having the second one at a third of his health, the first one died. From there on it was a mere playground finishing the last one off! Victory was mine and oh so sweet! But it didn't last long - Lost my body form to the mind reaver going up the stairs to the old monk... First monk battle was against a (maybe naked) spear wearing dude - He had amazing stamina, and used his shield all the time, making short time of me. I returned to meet another player wearing claws, and while he had plenty of armor, the claws did not provide much cover against my crescent falchion, and although he almost had me at one point, I managed to finish him off with plenty of health. World 3 belongs to me now :D

In the beginning I really didn't appreciate 3-2 but it did have some very design, and a very good sense of exploration. Now I think I will go see what all this old king babble is about... ;)

:lol that's pretty much exactly what happened to me, and yes I was also rushing to buy warding, as soon as I saw Freke getting up while insulting me I pressed the PS button and turned of the system

Thankfully he wasnt pissed when I started again

oracrest said:
Unless it's another player using claws, that is a good sign that you fought the AI driven black phantom. Congrats on beating Maneater. He is by far my personal favorite boss. I can just see him floating down to the sea of corpses below his bridge, and chewing limbs off of dead knights :D

Bummer - I did get the invasion message and had a white port (didn't I?... fuck).

Zzoram said:
Be glad shutting off your PS3 didn't corrupt your save. If you cut power while it's auto-saving your save corrupts

See I figured something like that might also happen, I checked the upper corner for the blue/white thing just before I cut the power - that's the save indicator right? Guess I lucked out :)

oracrest

Captain Knutsman said:
Bummer - I did get the invasion message and had a white port (didn't I?... fuck).

I believe that it still goes through the cinematic, and calls up an invasion message, even when it's automated.

ilikeme

Yay! I got to Penetrator and down he went. Killed the red knights, too! What came after that killed me though. :(

Finished all the mines too, and I used the Dragon God soul to get God's Wrath. I only have enough magic to use it once.. gonna experiment and see if it was worth it I guess.

3-1 is freaky and I don't know if I know where to go. After the ball of blades down on 1f I think I just got lost and fell down.. :(

4-2 boss killed me 3-4 times already. When he jumps at you and then does an AoE stab-to-the-ground thingie. Well, at least I know what to look out for. Will probably try killing him next.

5-2.. :( I hate the big baddies in the swamp. I think I'll just try and try again with the others and take this shit last. I really hate them. :[

How high should my fire resistance be to have a decent chance of surviving while I collect the treasure in the lava in 2-2? I equipped the ring of flame resistance and cast Water veil and at the rate my health depleted when I stepped in I think I would have died in a few seconds. Is Warding a better spell to use or should I wait until I get some kickass fire resistant armour somehow? Does the shield you have equipped make any difference?

ilikeme said:
3-1 is freaky and I don't know if I know where to go. After the ball of blades down on 1f I think I just got lost and fell down.. :(

Continue on in the direction that the ball was. The exit from the cell area is on the opposite side of where you entered the floor.
Once out on the walkway collect the Jailor's key and go back up to the level between 2F and 3F (the one with the two locked gates).

Zzoram

electroshockwave said:
How high should my fire resistance be to have a decent chance of surviving while I collect the treasure in the lava in 2-2? I equipped the ring of flame resistance and cast Water veil and at the rate my health depleted when I stepped in I think I would have died in a few seconds. Is Warding a better spell to use or should I wait until I get some kickass fire resistant armour somehow? Does the shield you have equipped make any difference?

Continue on in the direction that the ball was. The exit from the cell area is on the opposite side of where you entered the floor.
Once out on the walkway collect the Jailor's key and go back up to the level between 2F and 3F (the one with the two locked gates).
Flame resistance ring and water veil is enough. Also cast regenerate if you can, and maybe equip HP regen items. You don't need to touch lava long, run or roll between the islands an fully heal before going for each loot.

What level would be too high for people invading me to be plentiful? Right now I'm at level 124, and I'm typically just hanging out in 1-4 waiting to be invaded.
I've cleared everything else except world 3-2 and 3-3. I actually want people to invade so I can test out my pvp skills without losing my white soul tendency or possibly my levels.

Am I too high level now? Usually I play at around 7 to 11 at night; that should be peak invasion times, right?

Zzoram

Big Icarus said:
What level would be too high for people invading me to be plentiful? Right now I'm at level 124, and I'm typically just hanging out in 1-4 waiting to be invaded.
I've cleared everything else except world 3-2 and 3-3. I actually want people to invade so I can test out my pvp skills without losing my white soul tendency or possibly my levels.

Am I too high level now? Usually I play at around 7 to 11 at night; that should be peak invasion times, right?
I think lvl 60-70 is the hottest PvP since it's not TOO hard to grind up there quickly and PvP players are always testing new builds.

That said, around 120 is the other major PvP range. I think 4-2 is the hottest invasion spot since it's a super popular farming level. You could just beat the game an start NG+ so you have more levels to be invaded in. Invasions don't care what NG you're on, only your level and if you haven't beaten the level yet.

canova said:
How is this thread got moved here?
Nirolak posted an explanation a few pages back.

Nirolak said:
Minecraft, League of Legends, and Blazblue are also three other really fantastic games that live entirely on word of mouth. However, if these four games are constantly sitting on the first page, it makes it that much harder for other fantastic games that live on word of mouth to ever get noticed. Demon's Souls OT has been getting coverage on the front page of Gaming for over a year now, and by moving it, we allow other hidden gems the chance to shine.

It's entirely true that the Gaming forum gets a lot more traffic than the community forum. This is why official threads get to spend a sizable amount of time in the Gaming forum before they ever get moved to the Community forum, even if they're games that will obviously be heavily focused on community activity. However, this is also the reason we renamed the Community forum, made it publicly viewable, and moved so many high profile threads to it. We don't want the Community forum to be a death sentence, and the only way to change its perception and make it a viable forum is to drive a lot more traffic to it.

We were actually considering moving the Demon's Souls thread with the first batch of threads, but since we had the same concern you did, we decided to wait and only move the extremely super high volume threads at first. What we found out though was that the threads we moved barely seemed to change the amount of traffic they got, especially after people noticed what happened relatively quickly. So for that reason, we feel comfortable moving threads like this to the Community forum without the risk of them dying or having an especially large impact on the number of new people who come to check out a word of mouth dependent game that has been out for a while.

If a thread does totally die due to getting moved, we can always move a thread back to Gaming later, but for now, let's see how this goes for a few weeks.

Canova

Banned
archnemesis said:
Nirolak posted an explanation a few pages back.

I do not like it one bit.

Demon's Souls is a single campaign game. It should go back to the gaming forum where it belongs. For a while I thought the thread was dead because I couldn't find it anywhere

I just had my first invasion in 4-1 and I don't think I've ever been so scared in a game before. I almost thought that I'd never get invaded because the servers don't seem to be that active and I keep losing connection to them so I'd pretty much been going through in body form "presenting" myself for some PvP action. When I got the invasion message I ran up to the crow's tree to get a view of the area and saw a black phantom wearing the monk's head collar (there's something that I find really intimidating about that thing) killing skeletons so I watched until I eventually lost sight of him. Since I wasn't sure if I would get a notification telling me that he left I sent him a message asking if he was still there. He replied telling me to come kill him so that he could farm colourless demon souls. At this point I thought he might have been trying to trick me (I had to look up the farming method on the wiki afterwards) so I was pretty cautious. Oddly he put up a bit of a fight before he went down. I went back to the nexus then returned to 4-1 and repeated this twice more. Each time he seemed to fight back more and I think the third time he could have killed me had I not cast Warding, which confused me even more as well as not knowing how he was farming colourless souls.

Anyway, when I said I had to go on and finish the level he offered to be summoned as a blue phantom and true to his word he helped me take down Adjudicator, attacking on the ground floor while I attacked his head with spells from above. Overall it was a pretty terrifying and confusing experience. 4- is at pure white tendency for me now so I was able to speak to Satsuki but I'm not sure I see the point in that quest, at least at white tendency.

Pikelet

Just started playing this game yesterday. Beat the Tower knight by using my kick-ass starter spell that i got from choosing royal.

This game is fucking amazing.

Rocksteady33

OK so I've looked into this game and sort of have some interest. I'm not huge on RPG's outside of Pokemon, Paper Mario and a few others. However I saw a comparison of this to Phantasy Star Online I & II and got really interested. I loved PSO, and I never even played it online. The single player was incredibly addicting and fun. So I ask GAF.. is Demon's Souls similar?

So went to 1-4 to see what it was about. Hang around for a while to check out if somebody would drop a blue stone, got bored, went in headfirst and
died
returned to soul form. Being in soul form I dropped a blue stone, was summoned and together with another blue soul (who was dressed as a witch - suddenly it felt like a disney game) the three of us breezed through the entire level. The AI does not seem to handle multiple players that well, so the boss and the BP's very pretty easy. Would be fun if someone could return the favor and help me with the level - seems a lot more hard to go alone :) "I wish a had some friends..."

Will check my SL when I get home if someone is up for it?

Captain Knutsman said:
So went to 1-4 to see what it was about. Hang around for a while to check out if somebody would drop a blue stone, got bored, went in headfirst and
died
returned to soul form. Being in soul form I dropped a blue stone, was summoned and together with another blue soul (who was dressed as a witch - suddenly it felt like a disney game) the three of us breezed through the entire level. The AI does not seem to handle multiple players that well, so the boss and the BP's very pretty easy. Would be fun if someone could return the favor and help me with the level - seems a lot more hard to go alone :) "I wish a had some friends..."

Will check my SL when I get home if someone is up for it?

What version do you have and what time will you be on? I've got the US version and I think I'm going to do 1-3 next so I could help you after that. Unfortunately the TV's taken right now. -_-

Just had my second invasion on 1-3 and now fully understand why people play through in soul form. It was my first time in 1-3 and I was at the part where the fat official and three crossbow archers attack from above and a red-eyed knight comes out from the right when I got the invasion message. In retrospect I probably should have retreated to safety and prepared for the invader but I thought if I could clear the area of enemies first it would be a good place to watch his approach. It turned out that he got to me a lot faster than I expected. Just after I killed the red eyed knight and his soldiers he hit me through the wall twice with what I'm assuming was God's Wrath and knocked me down then rushed in and finished me off. Then I got a message from him with the subject "PLMP" and I opened it up to find that it stood for "please lick my pussy". Wasn't expecting that... Also, when I went back to the nexus to repair my gear I set the controller down and accidentally attacked Boldwin and had to rush to turn off the system. It's just not my day.

Anyway, I was wondering what a good counter to God's wrath would be because I seemed to be pretty much defenseless or can I only try to stay out of its range?

oracrest

electroshockwave said:
Anyway, I was wondering what a good counter to God's wrath would be because I seemed to be pretty much defenseless or can I only try to stay out of its range?

For melee, get INCREDIBLY good at the invulnerable roll. (I may be wrong, but it feels like the slower, more encumbered, characters have a slower roll, and thus, a longer period of roll invulnerability??)

I have been able to roll out from a God's Wraith spell when I was halfway in the spell range safely, at least.

oracrest

canova said:
I do not like it one bit.

Demon's Souls is a single campaign game. It should go back to the gaming forum where it belongs. For a while I thought the thread was dead because I couldn't find it anywhere

:(

Thread is probably going to slow down real fast now.

community 1st week posts: ~74
previous week, in gaming: ~192

gdt

3-1 is just hard as hell for my melee based Knight. Really frustrating. Any tips? Should I go to other worlds till I get strong enough?

Also, right now I have a Long Sword+3, should I upgrade that to a Quality Long Sword, if not what weapon should I wait/go for? I have some Claws I found in 3-1 (also a Secret Dagger) as well, btw.

gdt5016 said:
3-1 is just hard as hell for my melee based Knight. Really frustrating. Any tips? Should I go to other worlds till I get strong enough?

Also, right now I have a Long Sword+3, should I upgrade that to a Quality Long Sword, if not what weapon should I wait/go for? I have some Claws I found in 3-1 (also a Secret Dagger) as well, btw.

In 2-2 there's a Dark Heater shield +2 that's a good defense against magic attacks. You probably need a good bow or something to take out the mindflayers (octopus headed prison guards) from range. Equipping the Thief's ring so you can run up behind them for a backstab while they're patrolling would also work.

I don't really know much about the side-branching upgrade paths but I know that Quality weapons base damage bonuses on strength and dexterity. So if both of those stats are good for you and you plan to continue upgrading them then I'd say it makes sense to follow that upgrade path with your sword.

gdt

electroshockwave said:
In 2-2 there's a Dark Heater shield +2 that's a good defense against magic attacks. You probably need a good bow or something to take out the mindflayers (octopus headed prison guards) from range. Equipping the Thief's ring so you can run up behind them for a backstab while they're patrolling would also work.

I don't really know much about the side-branching upgrade paths but I know that Quality weapons base damage bonuses on strength and dexterity. So if both of those stats are good for you and you plan to continue upgrading them then I'd say it makes sense to follow that upgrade path with your sword.

Hmm...I'll give 2-2 a shot then! Any good bows around I should get? I have a cross bow, but it's not all long range.

gdt5016 said:
Hmm...I'll give 2-2 a shot then! Any good bows around I should get? I have a cross bow, but it's not all long range.

I think there's a compound long bow that you get from one of the skeleton archers before you go through the first fog gate in 4-1 that has better range. If you're going to 2-2 there's a Dragon long sword there that's invaluable against the skeletons in world 4, especially after you've gone to blacksmith Ed in 2-1 to upgrade it more with dragonstone. If you're really finding it hard getting close you could equip the thief's ring and fire arrows while retreating to avoid their attacks. I've also found a ring of magical dullness near the first fog gate in 5-1 that decreases magic attack but increases magic defense.

I feel like I'm telling you to go to a lot of other worlds to beat one level. I don't mean to overwhelm you, these are really just options. BTW, what version do you have and what soul level are you? If you want, I could try helping you in co-op. I've just gotten the friend's ring from the Monumental and want to try it out.

Canova

Banned
gdt5016 said:

it's better off to you have magic (crescent) weapons if you want to tackle world 2-2

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
So i got this game during the amazon sale. Beat 1-1, 1-2, and 1-3. I'm at the boss at the end of 2-1. I'm really kinda confused on some stuff because there is so much to this game. I'm a temple knight because i thought i read somewhere they are kinda cool, didn't do much research into beginning this game. I have the basics of combat down pretty well and don't get frustrated much at all.

I'm mainly confused as to upgrading and getting new weapons. So far i haven't been able to sell any weapons for souls i just store them. I'm guessing that's all you can do?

After looking at the wiki for a while the only way to get better weapons are to find them or to craft them? Then when you get the weapon you want you keep upgrading it (+1, +2, etc.)?

Can you store items in the crate for your other characters to use like in Torchlight?

Zzoram

zombieshavebrains said:
So i got this game during the amazon sale. Beat 1-1, 1-2, and 1-3. I'm at the boss at the end of 2-1. I'm really kinda confused on some stuff because there is so much to this game. I'm a temple knight because i thought i read somewhere they are kinda cool, didn't do much research into beginning this game. I have the basics of combat down pretty well and don't get frustrated much at all.

I'm mainly confused as to upgrading and getting new weapons. So far i haven't been able to sell any weapons for souls i just store them. I'm guessing that's all you can do?

After looking at the wiki for a while the only way to get better weapons are to find them or to craft them? Then when you get the weapon you want you keep upgrading it (+1, +2, etc.)?

Can you store items in the crate for your other characters to use like in Torchlight?

Your stockpile Thomas does not carry over to other characters.

When you find a weapon you like, don't upgrade it past +3 until you read the wikia. At +3 and +6 you can branch off the normal upgrade paths to special ones with the special upgrade stones (all the non-hard/sharp). Don't use a meltstone, it just removes all upgrades on the weapon without giving you back the upgrade stones and there is no instance where you need it, since you can get fresh duplicates of every weapon eventually.

Once you've decided on a special upgrade path, either start branching at +3 or get up to +6 to branch into one of those paths. It's ok to have 2 or more weapons you like to use and switch between, each doing a different upgrade path for variety.

You can't sell anything so just store everything you don't need on you.

Degen said:
Oh my god, how are you all playing this game x_X

I don't understand the question.

Zzoram

Degen said:
This game is outright sadistic. It hates you. It has a grudge against the player on a personal level.

It really doesn't. People overexaggerate. This game is no more difficult than a Mario game, where the deaths don't really matter, deaths are always your fault, and you can memorize levels and blow through them.

Canova

Banned
Degen said:
Oh my god, how are you all playing this game x_X

By dying a lot the first time through

zombieshavebrains said:
Is there a certain soul level you have to be in order to beat or unlock certain levels?

no.

but there's some area that can only be unlocked if the world is pure black or pure white

ZeroRay

Zzoram said:
It really doesn't. People overexaggerate. This game is no more difficult than a Mario game, where the deaths don't really matter, deaths are always your fault, and you can memorize levels and blow through them.

Exactly.

The game is easy but still very, very enjoyable when you know how everything goes.

oracrest

Made some progress, got the cling ring and took down the Tower Knight and Adjudicator. Also managed to take down one of the black skeletons for the first time in pure melee combat with this character. Using the Crescent Falchion, and Leather armor.

Canova, what are options for missile weapons when sticking with just level 1?

peull

Arrgh.... what's the best way to get another uchigatana? I've got one now (moon) and I want one with darkmoon to compare which is thebest with my magic character.... anyone knows where to look for one?

oracrest

peull said:
Arrgh.... what's the best way to get another uchigatana? I've got one now (moon) and I want one with darkmoon to compare which is thebest with my magic character.... anyone knows where to look for one?

Black skeletons can drop them, but it is uncommon. You might want to get black world tendency in 4 to increase your chances with it.

peull

oracrest said:
Black skeletons can drop them, but it is uncommon. You might want to get black world tendency in 4 to increase your chances with it.

thanks, i will try that

EDIT: yeah, got it in 10 tries...

Top Bottom