• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

So 4-2 is kind of a hotspot for invasions, huh? I forgot to kill myself in the nexus beforehand and was at the beginning of the level trying in vain to shoot down the storm beasts with soul arrow when I turned around and saw that the entrance had become foggy. In a panic I ran up to it because I saw a blue soul sign there but the notification came up and I was quickly invaded. I hit him with poison cloud and summoned the blue phantom while he backed off. But in the end I managed to beat him with soul arrow and some melee before the phantom arrived. So I decided to I may as well play on with the guy I summoned. I came to part in the next corridor where it shows you a little cutscene of the reaper. As soon as the cutscene ended I was backstabbed by another invading phantom. I hit him with a spell and rolled away immediately but fell down to floor where the reaper was. Since I didn't know the level I wasn't sure how the invading player would follow me down I just went for the reaper.

When the black phantom made it down to me I was ready so I hit him with poison cloud and then flame toss. He retreated into the room where Patches was then fell down the hole to where Urbain was trapped. My blue phantom went down the hole too and was presumably double teamed by the black phantom there and the invading player. Somewhere in the crossfire I hit Patches with flame toss and he started attacking me so I had to kill him. At this point I wasn't really sure what to do as I had just killed an NPC. I wasn't sure if the game had saved so I decided to turn off the system and hope for the best. While I was in the XMB the BP killed me with a backstab right as I switched the console off.

When I turned it back on I was in the same spot, still in body form so I don't think it saved me dying but Patches was gone and I couldn't find Graverobber Blige so I'm not sure what happened there. Hopefully they're not too important. I made my way back to nexus so I could play in soul form and when I was almost at the archstone I was invaded again. I hit this one with poison cloud and finished him off with soul ray and made my way back to the nexus. When I returned I managed to beat the level without dying in soul form so at least that's something to be happy about.

oracrest

Scraped a bit further into it. It actually isn't nearly as difficult as I imagined, since you can still upgrade you simple weapons to +10 (Which is how I beat the game the first time.) I am using a Scimitar +7 and Buckler +5, with leather Armor and Gilded Helmet. Took down the Spider and Fool's Idol last night.

IMG_0360.jpg

IMG_0354.jpg

IMG_0356.jpg

IMG_0362.jpg

peull

Alright! I'm sick of farming for a pure darkmoonstone and a pure moonlight stone, anyone up for a trade? Or someone reallllllly nice to give them?

i got some others stones i dont need (hardstone, sharpstone, dragon, suckerstone, mercurystone, spiderstone, cloudstone etc...)

I am on NA server, soul level 87... anyone?

peull said:
Alright! I'm sick of farming for a pure darkmoonstone and a pure moonlight stone, anyone up for a trade? Or someone reallllllly nice to give them?

i got some others stones i dont need (hardstone, sharpstone, dragon, suckerstone, mercurystone, spiderstone, cloudstone etc...)

I am on NA server, soul level 87... anyone?

Where are you farming? I haven't had much trouble finding pure stones, it's chunks that cause me trouble. I got a pure darkmoonstone from the crystal lizards in 4-3 and a pure moonlightstone from the lizard in 3-3. I'd share them with you but I already used them.

Broseybrose

Big Icarus said:
What level would be too high for people invading me to be plentiful? Right now I'm at level 124, and I'm typically just hanging out in 1-4 waiting to be invaded.
I've cleared everything else except world 3-2 and 3-3. I actually want people to invade so I can test out my pvp skills without losing my white soul tendency or possibly my levels.

Am I too high level now? Usually I play at around 7 to 11 at night; that should be peak invasion times, right?
My PvP Female Faith Melee is lvl 125.

2dwdzdx.jpg

Blessed Great Axe +5 :D

My PSN is Broseybrose if you wanna add me. There's always a fight in that lvl range.

Also hope youre talking EST.

Chakan

Finally, FINALLY, got my platinum on this game.

37hs with a character, mainly melee, soul level 88. Beat the game once with him but somehow I messed up his build.

Started all over, made a Magician character with a Royalty type (soul arrow + soul level 1). 46hs of gameplay, Soul Level 161, NG+++. Mix of Melee + Magician.

I was shocked that I got my Pure Bladestone on my second, I said SECOND try at the Dual Katana Skeleton Black Phantom at 4-2. Did that on NG+ and PBWT.

oracrest

Nirolak said:
If a thread does totally die due to getting moved, we can always move a thread back to Gaming later, but for now, let's see how this goes for a few weeks.

This is the trend so far. Any chance we could get this thread moved back to the gaming section?

3weeks ago (gaming): ~192
2weeks ago (community): ~74
this week (community) ~27

peull

electroshockwave said:
Where are you farming? I haven't had much trouble finding pure stones, it's chunks that cause me trouble. I got a pure darkmoonstone from the crystal lizards in 4-3 and a pure moonlightstone from the lizard in 3-3. I'd share them with you but I already used them.

That's exactly where i was farming in PBWT, di not have luck getting pures and now all lizards are gone....

2nd attempt at Demon's Souls. Died alot.
I definitely kept getting better, but god. Getting so far into a level, dying. Getting just as far the next time and dieing again. It's painful.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
oracrest said:
This is the trend so far. Any chance we could get this thread moved back to the gaming section?

3weeks ago (gaming): ~192
2weeks ago (community): ~74
this week (community) ~27
Sure, we'll see if it picks back up notably.

It shall be an interesting experiment.

Zzoram

Zeouterlimits said:
I definitely kept getting better, but god. Getting so far into a level, dying. Getting just as far the next time and dieing again. It's painful.

Have you been unlocking shortcuts? They make it easier to get back to the end of the level when you come back. Almost every level has at least one shortcut, and several levels have two or three.

Zzoram said:
Have you been unlocking shortcuts? They make it easier to get back to the end of the level when you come back. Almost every level has at least one shortcut, and several levels have two or three.
Nope, will check that out, thanks.

Nirolak said:
Sure, we'll see if it picks back up notably.

It shall be an interesting experiment.

Thanks for moving it back, Nirolak. I for one don't speed much time in the Community section, not sure how other threads fare. It will definitely be interesting to see if it picks back up...Thread has been going strong for far too long to let it die :)

dyergram

Every time this thread pops back up it makes me go back to playing it im over half way really should man the fuck up and finish this bitch.

dyergram said:
Every time this thread pops back up it makes me go back to playing it im over half way really should man the fuck up and finish this bitch.
You really ought to ha ha! I don't think you're the only one. I've been meaning to finish a new playthrough but just can't find the time. Maybe on break...

oracrest

Zeouterlimits said:

Yes, the advice About shortcuts is rather helpful. The levels are structured in a way that you may need to go very far in to open a door, obtain a key, activate a switch, or something like this.

In the end, the path straight to the boss is usually pretty short once you have reached those shortcuts, and they remain permanent even when you die. Be sure to get yourself the cling ring in level 1. It requires one such shortcut to be opened, and makes the rest of the game a little easier. Good luck, and keep posting your experiences!

Instro

So I picked this up recently(along with a PS3), playing as a wanderer and so far Ive gotten through two major bosses I guess, the giant blob thing and the giant castle knight. I have a couple of questions though:

Whats this tendency thing?

Whats the deal with the fog in front of doorways sometimes?

Any other helpful tips are appreciated.

oracrest

Instro said:
So I picked this up recently(along with a PS3), playing as a wanderer and so far Ive gotten through two major bosses I guess, the giant blob thing and the giant castle knight. I have a couple of questions though:

Whats this tendency thing?

There is a world tendency for each archstone. Whether it shifts towards black or white depends on events that occur in that world. Killing bosses shifts it white, and getting killed in body forms shifts it towards black (many people suicide in the nexus to keep this from affecting the world tendency. Certain things unlock when full black or white is reached. See the wiki for more detail.

The fog just symbolizes progress in a level. I don't think they have a function.

Ifrit

Just got summoned by the monk and I managed to beat the crap out of that player almost unscathed :lol that was fun, got the headwrap

Zzoram

Ifrit said:
Just got summoned by the monk and I managed to beat the crap out of that player almost unscathed :lol that was fun, got the headwrap

If there's one thing I want to do before the servers go down, it's get a headwrap. It looks hilarious, I was summoned as a blue by someone with a headwrap once, at first I thought it was a graphical glitch :lol

Instro

oracrest said:
There is a world tendency for each archstone. Whether it shifts towards black or white depends on events that occur in that world. Killing bosses shifts it white, and getting killed in body forms shifts it towards black (many people suicide in the nexus to keep this from affecting the world tendency. Certain things unlock when full black or white is reached. See the wiki for more detail.

The fog just symbolizes progress in a level. I don't think they have a function.

Ah ok that makes sense, thanks. Ill have to check out that wiki as well.

Instro said:

If you see the fog wall appear in front of your nexus stone. You're being invaded. It helps to be prepared. At least, the BP won't get the jump on you and you know they're coming. Even in the late hours of the night, I still get invaded in 1-4.

oracrest

Ifrit said:

This is when I figured out that their multiplayer was unique from other games :)

So the boss of 1-2
Tower Knight I think
just slaughtered me completely :lol

What I did was clear out all the scrubs first which seemed like the best plan but then when I went down to fight the boss I got slaughtered. My weapon was only doing 16 damage to the legs :lol

But green stuff was coming out so I must of done something right :lol

Tips please :D

oracrest

DualShadow said:
So the boss of 1-2
Tower Knight I think
just slaughtered me completely :lol

What I did was clear out all the scrubs first which seemed like the best plan but then when I went down to fight the boss I got slaughtered. My weapon was only doing 16 damage to the legs :lol

But green stuff was coming out so I must of done something right :lol

Tips please :D

You're on the right track :)

hteng

Banned
DualShadow said:
I'm guessing I need to attack the other leg and then do some decent damage. Might try again tonight. Really liking the game though, hate losing souls though :lol

you might wanna upgrade your weapon, but if you keep hacking his heels, it will start to spew blood and he'll fall down eventually. then you can hit his head for more damage.

Started this for my first time today. I guess I picked an easy area first thankfully. But one part had this huge guy with a spear and message saying "Low level plays should avoid." But there was a bloodstain and I wanted to see the person die and I aggro'd spear dude. I fuckin' sprinted away so far. :lol

Are they really removing all the online stuff in March?

JPBrowncoat said:
Started this for my first time today. I guess I picked an easy area first thankfully. But one part had this huge guy with a spear and message saying "Low level plays should avoid." But there was a bloodstain and I wanted to see the person die and I aggro'd spear dude. I fuckin' sprinted away so far. :lol

Do you mean the red eyed knight in 1-1? He's so terrifyingly intimidating standing at the end of that bridge, if he starts chasing me I just run without looking back. But he can be beaten on your first time through if you pick up the cling ring and the thief's ring, both of which can be found in 1-1.

Are they really removing all the online stuff in March?

That's just the official word on how long at least they will keep the servers up for. They could still stay up longer than that.

electroshockwave said:
Do you mean the red eyed knight in 1-1? He's so terrifyingly intimidating standing at the end of that bridge, if he starts chasing me I just run without looking back. But he can be beaten on your first time through if you pick up the cling ring and the thief's ring, both of which can be found in 1-1.

That's just the official word on how long at least they will keep the servers up for. They could still stay up longer than that.

I think I foudn the cling ring (increases spirit form life?) But I didn't find the theif ring in 1-1?

ZeroRay

oracrest said:
A few more Iphone shots of the playthrough :)

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/oracrest/8f57e5a7.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/oracrest/4bd012a2.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

Awesome shots! :D

Really like the second one.

Foffy

Banned
oracrest said:
A few more Iphone shots of the playthrough :)

8f57e5a7.jpg

4bd012a2.jpg

You've inspired me to want to finish the game (I stopped out of fear over the difficulty). I almost forgot how great the art design is. :D

DualShadow said:
I think I foudn the cling ring (increases spirit form life?) But I didn't find the theif ring in 1-1?

The thief's ring is beside Ostrava, just after you go through the first fog gate. You have to climb over the wall to get to him.

oracrest

ZeroRay said:
Awesome shots! :D

Really like the second one.

Thanks, I never plan to take pictures, but sometimes a cool composition will happen. That time the head of the bug fell onto it's tail, and was up real high.

I have been trying to take down Flamelurker a few more times, but he is really difficult. Always has been for me.

jett

D-Member
I am now the proud owner of this game, bought it solely because of the GAFhype. The online stuff still works right?

Top Bottom