• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

jett said:
I just died in the tutorial. Great. :lol

That sounds gamebreaking, I just went with the knight.

I died at the tutorial 'boss', but I assume lots of people do?

I went with a Temple Knight, but I'm also a noob :lol

Emitan

DualShadow said:

Even for experienced players beating that guy is hard. You can get your revenge on him later in the game.

Billychu said:
Even for experienced players beating that guy is hard. You can get your revenge on him later in the game.

I knew when I saw him I was fucked :lol

Me: "I'll just run this way roll under his attack and get behind him"

What happened: Run in *1 hit kill*

:lol

oracrest

DualShadow said:

Indeed

4u78l5.jpg

IrishNinja

so yeah, id like to recant anything negative i said about this game during the 6+ months i was stuck in a loop of failure on 1-2 :lol game is crazy intricate/awesome and i kinda want to plat it one day....speaking of, does it really take 3-4 playthroughs?

patsu

jett said:

Uh-oh, be ready to look for a good bow when you're in the game. Ranged attack is very helpful when the game kicks you too hard. It will do that very often. ^_^

patsu said:
Uh-oh, be ready to look for a good bow when you're in the game. Ranged attack is very helpful when the game kicks you too hard. It will do that very often. ^_^

Where can a decent bow been found? I found one in 1-2 but seems weak.

patsu

The strongest one is in 4-2 I think.
Beyond the magical Falchion. Far below the talking crow girl, yet before the Tutorial boss. I am not so sure now, but I think it's right behind the skeleton archer on the ledge.

It's a regular Compound Long Bow. You'll want to upgrade it to Sticky Compound Long Bow + 5.

TaKeRx

I picked up the game yesterday an man is it hard. I also died on that 1st boss, but I'm guessing that you are supposed to. I literally just stopped and watch it kill me.:lol . I picked a thief for my 1st play through. Good or bad choice?

elohel

TaKeRx said:
I picked up the game yesterday an man is it hard. I also died on that 1st boss, but I'm guessing that you are supposed to. I literally just stopped and watch it kill me.:lol . I picked a thief for my 1st play through. Good or bad choice?

not good or bad just easier or harder

royal is easiest first playthrough

my fave is knight

it's up to youuu

patsu

Yeah, it is great to kill a DS monster with pure melee.

Don't carry too many things and overburden your character. That is all.

Prezhulio

so just spent a couple hours grinding/buying material and upgrading for demon's souls weapon crafting (lava bow and blueblood ready to go).....and fucking blacksmith ed is gone? there's no chance i aggro'd him, at all. is this a known thing?

I was doing so well in the first area when I saw a blood spot and followed the dude down some stairs and fell off ><

And died on my way back. And got killed by the spear guy. Paaain.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
jett said:

Jett, is this your first time playing?

Haha... I'm looking forward to reading your impressions. Please update your progress.

jett

D-Member
After dying so many fucking times and losing thousands of souls, I finally beat the first level.

Felt like the baddest motherfucker ever.

fuck-yea.png

thcsquad

Leunam said:
Wait until you get to the 1-2 boss.

Then you will truly feel like a bad motherfucker.

For me, 2-1 was harder than 1-2. I actually beat 1-2 on my first try. Tried 2-1 once and died really quickly.

I need to start getting back into this game. Took a hiatus to play Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time, and after finishing that I'm having trouble finding time to play any games at all. I need to show the 2-1 boss I don't screw around.

Leunam

Yeah the 2-1 boss was far harder than the 1-2 boss. Oddly enough, though, killing the 1-2 boss felt like a much bigger accomplishment.

Ifrit

jett said:
After dying so many fucking times and losing thousands of souls, I finally beat the first level.

Felt like the baddest motherfucker ever.

fuck-yea.png

The True Demon's Souls starts here!

But seriously, that is why the game is awesome. There is some old school feeling of pride and victory over your progress that few games manage to achieve

Jarlaxle

Went in strong this weekend and finished the game. Beat, 3-2, 3-3, and 5-2 on Saturday. Finished off 5-3, 1-3, and 1-4 on Sunday. It feels really good to have completed it but honestly, I think I was a little overlevelled at the end. I think I ended with soul level 89.

The game really makes you just want to jump back into new game +, but I had to resist the urge as I have way too many games in my backlog.

I just want to give a big thanks go you guys. I never would have got this game if I hadn't listened to all of the glowing endorsements from you all, and you were right. It was definitely an experience. I'm looking forward to Project Dark.

I just started playing this yesterday, and uh...I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to be doing. I died on the boss in the tutorial, and then I guess the tutorial ended? I don't understand why I'm not allowed to finish the tutorial.

So after that I appeared in the Nexus and I entered into one of the...er...forgot what it was called...but it warped me to a castle of some sort. I have been making my way through the castle, but keep dying. Anyway, I assume I just have to stay alive to the end of the castle, but the castle has so many paths I can take...not sure which is the right path to take. I'm guessing there will be a boss somewhere and if I beat him I get my body back or something.

Is this right, or am I missing something?

ArachosiA 78 said:
Is this right, or am I missing something?
You're on the right track. Once you beat the first boss, you gain access to the other levels and you also get to level up your stats. Most of the paths in the Bolitarian Palace either lead to back to the entrance or to a dead end. Continue to explore and you'll learn the map by heart in no-time.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Hey, I missed this thread, glad they brought it back from the forum that no one looks at!

I take great pleasure in watching new spawn enter into the Demon's Souls experience. You will enter as a boy, and leave as a true man.

Beat 1-2
Tower Knight
:D

But now I'm not sure of a few things:

What should I spend all the souls I just gained on? I'm guessing stats but which?

Also where is the next "easiest" level to do?

Thanks.

Sotha Sil

jett said:

That sounds gamebreaking
, I just went with the knight.

It kind of is, really. Going with the knight was a good choice; melee combat is the funniest part of the game.

oracrest

DualShadow said:
Beat 1-2
Tower Knight

What should I spend all the souls I just gained on? I'm guessing stats but which?

Thanks.

Experiment with stats. Stamina is the one I found most helpful in the end for melee fighting.

Don't worry about "wasting" souls, because there are always more to get in just a few minutes if you need herbs or whatever.

Emitan

DualShadow said:
Beat 1-2
Tower Knight

Thanks.
What kind of character do you want to make?

With royal you have the less Hp and endurance starting out. Personally i would rather start with a bow but all of those classes waste points in luck starting out. Knight, Temple Knight, and Royal are the only starting class worth a damn unless you making a BBS build.

DualShadow said:
Beat 1-2
Tower Knight

Thanks.

Go to 4-1
Find the crescent falchion, Kiji, and Uchinganta(spelling?) also you'll find a shield with HP regen and ring that regen that stacks with the shield and the talisman to cast miracles. The bad guys are tough but just block with anything other than a leather or buckler shield.
I always go 1-1, 4-1,3-1,2-1,1-2,2-2, from there its whatever you feel like.

Ratrat

So what is the easiest cheapest way to beat the 1-4 boss? I always die within 5 seconds of the fight as the guy is too fast and has crazy range.

flyover

I just started last night, and I'm in 1-1. I have a feeling I'll be there for many moons to come. So, when you die, you always go all the way back to the beginning of the level? You do, don't you? Yep...

I'm the kind of wimpy gamer who prefers easy mode. I'm a wretch who breaks out his old PSX when playing those games just because I still have a GameShark.

But even if I suck at Demon's Souls (and doesn't everyone, at first?), I will finish it... somehow. I bought this game to put hair on my chest, and by the grace of the gods, before winter ends, there will be hair on my chest!

Ratrat said:
So what is the easiest cheapest way to beat the 1-4 boss? I always die within 5 seconds of the fight as the guy is too fast and has crazy range.

Thief ring and a bow or soul arrow or ray. If stand at the fog he does not know you are there. Bait him to break away some of the floor. You can now walk a little forward and shoot him in the head with no retaliation. Wait till he goes back to his default spot. Go forward and shoot him again.

Get heavy arrows or give some soul remains to the crow for white arrows.

Vitten

Booted this game up again after not playing for many months to see if I still had the touch. Glad to see most of the skills where still there after getting used to the controls again.

Here's something I always do with a new character to start out really strong:

In 1-1 backstab Ostrava down the scaffolding and let him fight the horde of foes. He'll usualy win but lose a lot of health. Now just follow him around and let him fight the blue eyed knight without intervening and he should die. You can now pick up the mausoleaum key without getting black character tendency if you were to kill him yourself.
Now head to the mausoleum and get rid of the red-eyed knight (easiest is to lure him far away and he'll get stuck somewhere trying to make his way back), open the mausoleum and prove your worth to KingDoran. This is pretty easy with the backstab glitch: as long as he's doing his welcome speech you can keep backstabbing him over and over. Takes a few dozen stabs and then he'll let you have the Demon Brand sword. Even with the ability shortages you'll still get the magical damage and it'll do around 140 dmg and make the rest of 1-1 easy. It also eats the 1-1 boss and his blobs for breakfast.

After completing 1-1, put the necessary points in strength, dex, and faith and you'll have a 240 dmg sword from the get go :D.

Works best with a Temple Knight..

Is anyone up for some duping later this week, i need some colorless demonsouls and just started newgame+ any new players if you wish i can give some of my fully upgraded weapons (+10 Kiji +10 Miridain Hammer +5 Sticky Compound Long Bow, Northern Reglia) Need a Pure clearstone and blade to finish up those but already
killed ostrava for key to the demonbrandt

Ratrat said:

Thief's ring and poison cloud is probably the cheapest way to beat him. Wait at the fog gate until he stops coming closer and turns with his back to you then sneak up to the top of the stairs and hit with the spell. It will take a while since he's got so much health and you'll need to recast it a few times.

flyover said:
I just started last night, and I'm in 1-1. I have a feeling I'll be there for many moons to come. So, when you die, you always go all the way back to the beginning of the level? You do, don't you? Yep...!

Yeah, you always go back to the beginning of the level but you can open shortcuts along the way that make it much faster to get back to where you were. And as you familiarise yourself with the levels you'll move through them much faster too.

Emitan

flyover said:
I just started last night, and I'm in 1-1. I have a feeling I'll be there for many moons to come. So, when you die, you always go all the way back to the beginning of the level? You do, don't you? Yep...
You unlock "checkpoints" by finding switches. They can open doors to make the level shorter. Notice that when you go left at the castle gates there's a locked gate with an item behind it? That's a shortcut that cuts out about 1/3 of the level.

flyover

Billychu said:
You unlock "checkpoints" by finding switches. They can open doors to make the level shorter. Notice that when you go left at the castle gates there's a locked gate with an item behind it? That's a shortcut that cuts out about 1/3 of the level.
Excellent. Thanks for the tip!

Vitten said:
Booted this game up again after not playing for many months to see if I still had the touch. Glad to see most of the skills where still there after getting used to the controls again.

Here's something I always do with a new character to start out really strong:

In 1-1 backstab Ostrava down the scaffolding and let him fight the horde of foes. He'll usualy win but lose a lot of health. Now just follow him around and let him fight the blue eyed knight without intervening and he should die. You can now pick up the mausoleaum key without getting black character tendency if you were to kill him yourself.
Now head to the mausoleum and get rid of the red-eyed knight (easiest is to lure him far away and he'll get stuck somewhere trying to make his way back), open the mausoleum and prove your worth to KingDoran. This is pretty easy with the backstab glitch: as long as he's doing his welcome speech you can keep backstabbing him over and over. Takes a few dozen stabs and then he'll let you have the Demon Brand sword. Even with the ability shortages you'll still get the magical damage and it'll do around 140 dmg and make the rest of 1-1 easy. It also eats the 1-1 boss and his blobs for breakfast.

After completing 1-1, put the necessary points in strength, dex, and faith and you'll have a 240 dmg sword from the get go :D.

Works best with a Temple Knight..

How do you get up to the ledge where Ostrava is?

DualShadow said:
How do you get up to the ledge where Ostrava is?
YOu have to have the ability to roll fast and roll off the stairs above the wall. Its right before the firebomb guy surrounded by explosives

2-2 has become kind of easy now. I pulled out my bow and had my thief ring on. Ran behind bunches of pillars. till he forgets, go into hyper mode i do about 500+ per heavy arrow.

Top Bottom