• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

flyover said:
I just started last night, and I'm in 1-1. I have a feeling I'll be there for many moons to come. So, when you die, you always go all the way back to the beginning of the level? You do, don't you? Yep...

I'm the kind of wimpy gamer who prefers easy mode. I'm a wretch who breaks out his old PSX when playing those games just because I still have a GameShark.

But even if I suck at Demon's Souls (and doesn't everyone, at first?), I will finish it... somehow. I bought this game to put hair on my chest, and by the grace of the gods, before winter ends, there will be hair on my chest!
Demon's Souls' version of easy mode is playing the Royal class. If it's too tough, you can start out as a royal; it mostly affects beginning difficulty for the first few levels, so you don't have to feel too wimpy.

my first playthrough was with a Royal character >_>

neoism

Guys should I give this game another chance... I bought it about 8 months ago. I died soo much in the first area on the first level... I too died on the tutorial boss. I just rage quit and brought it back. Mainly because the whole 4 hours I played I felt like I wasn't getting anywhere. For 14.99 it my be worth it, if I can figure out how to make the game easier at the beginning.. ;/ :( :?

roxya

neoism said:
Guys should I give this game another chance... I bought it about 8 months ago. I died soo much in the first area on the first level... I too died on the tutorial boss. I just rage quit and brought it back. Mainly because the whole 4 hours I played I felt like I wasn't getting anywhere. For 14.99 it my be worth it, if I can figure out how to make the game easier at the beginning.. ;/ :( :?

You're supposed to die to the tutorial boss :D

If you play as Royal you should be able to make progress in the first level.

Mr_Appleby said:
i read this everywhere but really - just push against the wall.

I think I know the place, i'll have to check it out later since I heard the theif ring is down there as well.

Also it's pretty crazy how much there is in each level, I'm still finding new stuff in 1-1 after running through it several times.

Unless you are a DS pro, everyone dies on the tutorial boss. You are supposed to.

Don't get disheartened. Once you pass the first *real* boss, you gain the ability to level up and with it a greater ability to progress.

jett

D-Member
Returned to 1-1(i guess) to buy a bow from the store salesman...but he's gone! :( Not all was lost though as the dragons were gone too(holy shit that was tense before), so I got to pick up a bit of loot left by some poor dumbasses that ran into their nest, ahuahuahua.

oracrest

I never noticed before that all the "angels" have nails embedded all over their skin.

d17562b5.jpg

I killed this guy way high up on the tower bridges, and found him like this on one of the plankways down below in the Swamps.

78ea2830.jpg

Zzoram

neoism said:
Ya you're supposed to die to the tutorial boss. Dying is how you end up in Nexus, the town hub that gives you access to the 5 worlds.

Even if you beat the tutorial boss, you end up dying another way in a cutscene since death is a requirement.

Chakan

DualShadow said:
So the boss of 1-2
Tower Knight I think
just slaughtered me completely :lol

What I did was clear out all the scrubs first which seemed like the best plan but then when I went down to fight the boss I got slaughtered. My weapon was only doing 16 damage to the legs :lol

But green stuff was coming out so I must of done something right :lol

Tips please :D

Going melee on him is freaking hard.

Try hiding behind one of the upper walls while shooting regular arrows or soul arrows at his head. Just get the timing right to hit him, before he shoots you so you can take cover.

Much safer than to hit his legs.

rdelaney said:
That really shows how many of the enemies can just be skipped. Nobody can speed through the world 5 swamp though! :lol
I thought Homing soul arrow was shitty and always missed. But holy fuck that made me go wow.

Krauser Kat said:

Holy shit. He must have played a tonne to get the timing down for enemy attacks and dodging. I loved that he ran through worlds 2, 3 and 5 without even returning to the Nexus. I don't think he even used a lotus on himself in 5-2. Homing soul arrow is a lot more effective than I thought it would be, definitely be getting it when I beat Old Monk in NG+.

Chakan said:
Going melee on him is freaking hard.

Try hiding behind one of the upper walls while shooting regular arrows or soul arrows at his head. Just get the timing right to hit him, before he shoots you so you can take cover.

Much safer than to hit his legs.

Thanks, I ended up meleeing him to death, wasn't to hard after I learned his pattern. Just gotta stay close to his legs and avoid his AoE attacks.

Anyways I beat the 2-1 boss
Spider thingy
on my first attempt :D

Now just need to decide where to go next, although 2-1 was great for getting upgrade materials. Was able to get my halbard to +3 but stopped cause not sure where to upgrade it from there.

DualShadow said:
Thanks, I ended up meleeing him to death, wasn't to hard after I learned his pattern. Just gotta stay close to his legs and avoid his AoE attacks.

Anyways I beat the 2-1 boss
Spider thingy
on my first attempt :D

Now just need to decide where to go next, although 2-1 was great for getting upgrade materials. Was able to get my halbard to +3 but stopped cause not sure where to upgrade it from there.
What is going to your biggest stat.
Str is great for Crushing (+3)
Dragon is really nice on it.(+3) have to farm a little to get it going make good early game weapons because the damage is not stat based.

Krauser Kat said:
What is going to your biggest stat.
Str is great for Crushing (+3)
Dragon is really nice on it.(+3) have to farm a little to get it going make good early game weapons because the damage is not stat based.

Not sure about stats, currently I'm splitting them between end, vit and str. Not sure how it will turn out though since this is my first play-through and first character.

oracrest

DualShadow said:
Not sure about stats, currently I'm splitting them between end, vit and str. Not sure how it will turn out though since this is my first play-through and first character.

Those are good stats if you are going melee with your character. It really depends on how you like to play that would determine what skills you are going to want to beef up. With my melee guy, I enjoyed having a LOT of stamina to spare, so I ultimately focused on that.

oracrest said:
Those are good stats if you are going melee with your character. It really depends on how you like to play that would determine what skills you are going to want to beef up. With my melee guy, I enjoyed having a LOT of stamina to spare, so I ultimately focused on that.

Yeah I'm enjoying the melee combat thus far. Really glad I chose the temple Knight, I like the reach advantage the Halberd gives me.

Is it worth putting any points into faith/luck?

I'm guessing I'll focus on my main 3 for now though.

oracrest said:
40 endurance will give you max stamina. Anything above is for wearing stuff. It seems like your going str but you will be getting other better weapons to make into a crushing weapon later. Just upgrade it all the way with hardstones. it will still make for a valuable weapon.

What happens to a Blue Phantom when they die? Do they just immediately go back to their world? A guy I decided to summon in 4-1 died pretty early (in the silver skeletons' trap behind the trick walls) but I gave him an S rating anyway and I was wondering if he would still have gotten souls once I beat the level.

Also, do you usually still treasures in New Game+ or just ignore them? I'm still compulsively collecting them for some reason. Some of them could make sense like wanting to dual-wield crescent falchions but I'm not sure I need two Adjudicator's shields and 2-3 of each type of ring.

jett said:
Ok, 1-2 boss is just mean. I just died in ONE HIT and now I have to trek all the way back there?

It's not that far to get back, bit annoying though, he killed me a few times.

How low did you get his health?

npm0925

DualShadow said:
Yeah I'm enjoying the melee combat thus far. Really glad I chose the temple Knight, I like the reach advantage the Halberd gives me.

Is it worth putting any points into faith/luck?

I'm guessing I'll focus on my main 3 for now though.
Understand that just about any stat - sans END, INT, and VIT - can be used to modify the damage of a melee attack. If you want to wield a 2H weapon, pump STR. If you want range attacks or dual wield, go DEX or MAG. Regeneration and magic resist - faith. Every character build needs the remaining 3 stats to some degree.

jett

D-Member
DualShadow said:
It's not that far to get back, bit annoying though, he killed me a few times.

How low did you get his health?

First time I did nothing. Second time very little, he kills me really easily. It's really hard to get a hit, and the guy can even jump back after I hit him.WTF. This is starting to look cheap.

jett said:
First time I did nothing. Second time very little, he kills me really easily. It's really hard to get a hit, and the guy can even jump back after I hit him.WTF. This is starting to look cheap.

Just try and stay behind his legs and slash away, when he pauses for a moment he is gonna jump back or attack so just give yourself some room and attack while he recovers from his attack.

Someone earlier suggested to find a safe spot and arrow him to death, could try that.

jett

D-Member
DualShadow said:
Just try and stay behind his legs and slash away, when he pauses for a moment he is gonna jump back or attack so just give yourself some room and attack while he recovers from his attack.

Someone earlier suggested to find a safe spot and arrow him to death, could try that.

That seems like an impossible thing to do as a Knight, besides at that rate it'll take forever to kill him. Bows and Arrows I dunno -sigh- I guess I could try that.

jett said:
That seems like an impossible thing to do as a Knight, besides at that rate it'll take forever to kill him. Bows and Arrows I dunno -sigh- I guess I could try that.

I'll spoiler a tactic just in case people don't wanna read it

After you slash at both his legs and green stuff coming out of both he'll fall over and you can do much more damage by attacking his head. I think I only had to make him fall over once.

Also try upgrading your weapon so you can do more damage.

ijed

jett said:
That seems like an impossible thing to do as a Knight
Are you slow rolling? Take off some armour / swap with some lighter armour. Will make a world of difference. Also if you have a weapon that swings wide you can attack without using lock-on which will make evading easier, or practicing your R3 clicking so you can take off target-lock, roll, then lock back on and slash away.

Zzoram

I beat 1-2 boss first try with soul arrow, so cheap. There is a spot on the wall, after killing archers, you can lock onto his head and spam soul arrow (make sure you have tons of fresh spice for MP or a bow). Just fire away, when he starts an attack animation take 1 step to get behind cover and he can never hit you. I think I beat him without getting hit by cheesing hiis head with soul arrow.

jett said:

I had a lot of trouble with him at the outset. If you're having trouble or not making headway don't bang your head against a wall, just go somewhere else and hit him up later when you're stronger.

Tylahedras said:
I had a lot of trouble with him at the outset. If you're having trouble or not making headway don't bang your head against a wall, just go somewhere else and hit him up later when you're stronger.

I think I did a few runs of 1-1 just exploring and collecting a few things I missed, helped get a few more souls and upgrade my weapon.

roxya

jett said:

If you're getting hit by him, you're either too heavy (to sprint/roll properly) or not watching for his tells before attacks. It isn't a cheap game and he certainly isn't a cheap boss.

See You Next Wednesday said:
What's the build for his character & what exploits did he use?
He is a default Mage character. Uses Clever cat quite a bit. Ends up having 55mag and 20vit and endurance and 24int. lots of homing soul arrow.

Just got rid of it the other day. Getting the pure blade stone actually made me stop playing my second playthrough. I never got it. It would have been great if they would have addd some DLC in.

darkjedi187 said:
Just got rid of it the other day. Getting the pure blade stone actually made me stop playing my second playthrough. I never got it. It would have been great if they would have addd some DLC in.
That is unfortunate. I just got mine last night after 5-6 runs. of just northern reglia him in the back and then smashing him into the ground ( guy in tunnel not the BP Black skeleton).
Were you in Pure black? but honestly i dont think sharp is worth it.
i have a +5 sharp Uchi with 41 dex and has 312 atk
i have +5 cresent Uchi with 18 mag and has 310 atk

Once you beat the Tower Knight, make sure to trade his demon soul with a certain NPC (whom you may not have unlocked yet) to get the Warding spell. It will make the rest of the game a lot easier. That spell was what gave me the confidence and breathing room to stop cheesing bosses.

jett

D-Member
FUCK YOU YOU 1-2 BOSS YOU PIECE OF SHIT YOU MOTHERFUCKER YOU FINALLY KILLED THIS ASSHOLE

Now I like this game again!

jett

D-Member
Rabbitwork said:
what does this accomplish? are you trying to stay in body form? give that up immediately.

Nah, I don't care about body form. I just did that once to not lose the souls I had already lost in a previous death.

jett said:
Nah, I don't care about body form. I just did that once to not lose the souls I had already lost in a previous death.
i can assure you the amount of souls you're losing is trivial compared to the amount you'll be earning in New Game+. don't bother worrying about losing souls until you piss away almost a million of them.

jett

D-Member
Rabbitwork said:
i can assure you the amount of souls you're losing is trivial compared to the amount you'll be earning in New Game+. don't bother worrying about losing souls until you piss away almost a million of them.

Huh hmm all right.

A question, I just bought the heal spell(and memorized it), but the game doesn't let me use it, what's up with that.

Top Bottom