• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Kalnos

Banned
Zzoram said:
so is it worth it to master parry riposte? the speed run guy did it a few times against skeletons but that's it

It's like the ultimate fuck you if you can do it to someone in PvP.

Besides maybe knocking them off the world or something.

I did it.... I finally fucking did it.... I've never felt so complete, yet so broken in my entire life....
5PQNql.jpg

Finally got the best weapon by Bladestone the other day,

Anyone want to give me a hand with getting best weapon by Greystone, Mercurystone and cloudstone?

Will give bladestone weapon or any other best weapon i have for trade

Also Need the BLIND weapon

US Server and PSN ID is stack_

Add me

I got lucky with the pure bladestone. I was farming souls between the dual wielding black skeleton and reaper in 4-2, and one just dropped. I've probably killed him at least 100 times, but it was nice to get it without it being my priority at the time.

I've defeated all worlds except 1-4, and all of 5. Don't know if I have the patience for the toughest soul trophy, but I think I'm going to go take a crack at world 5 right now. Feels good just to be actually getting someone after my first few stalled attempts at the game. :)

Vitten

catashtrophe said:
Finally got the best weapon by Bladestone the other day,

Anyone want to give me a hand with getting best weapon by Greystone, Mercurystone and cloudstone?

Will give bladestone weapon or any other best weapon i have for trade

Also Need the BLIND weapon

US Server and PSN ID is stack_

Add me

I posted this a few months ago and my offer still stands for the good people fom GAF.

On the EU server I have a SL100 character who has everything ( and I do mean everything )
On the US server I got a SL 164 who's got it all.

I can let you hold or dupe whatever item or weapon you want, just send me a message with some specifics about server/requested items and we'll try and meet up. Just make sure your are in range and preferable in body form so you can summon my blue. My prefered spot is the small tunnel before the foggate of the 4-3 boss.

PSN: Bellenaar-FZX

Canova

Banned
Mihos said:
Damnit... now I want to play again.

Just when I thought I was out!

you're never out with Demon's Souls. And the party here is never over. Even I keep going back and forth between Demon's Souls and new games.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Im wondering the same god damned thing. Not only a this-gen Echo Night but how about a new Shadow Tower Abyss. Ahhh!

I love FROM and their fans.

Don't tell me. I named my character in DS "Richard Osmond", only to change it to William Hope Hodgson a few minutes later, because of the kind of game it is. Wanderer class of course :D

I think they canned it. The series. I still remember when Echo Night Beyond was released, and considered average. "Average". Yeah i can imagine what the concept of Average might be for a snotty 20ish years old nerdy kidult. Oh, well.

oracrest

prodystopian said:
It would have been crazy if you would have done that fight alone.

For whatever reason, I have always found him to be a rather easy fight. He is much easier with Biorr since he splits up his attention. I think it's that his attacks can be seen coming pretty early compared to other fights.

Flamelurker and Maneater are my two most difficult battles every playthrough.

oracrest said:
For whatever reason, I have always found him to be a rather easy fight. He is much easier with Biorr since he splits up his attention. I think it's that his attacks can be seen coming pretty early compared to other fights.

Flamelurker and Maneater are my two most difficult battles every playthrough.

I'm impatient and his attacks are easy to see but the...pause before he hits always throws me off. I found Flamelurker not too bad. Maneater was reasonable except when they fly away.

canova said:
Penetrator fight is one of the funnesy fight without Biorr, especially in NG+. give it a try

I did, and I would have kept at it if I didn't have to go through the Red Eye Knights each time.

What happens when you die besides starting at beginning of level? Do you keep any of your XP or souls or whatever? starting at beginning is so annoying! takes a long time to get back to where you were and what is the point of the respawned enemies when you lose your XP or whatever.

momolicious said:
What happens when you die besides starting at beginning of level? Do you keep any of your XP or souls or whatever? starting at beginning is so annoying! takes a long time to get back to where you were and what is the point of the respawned enemies when you lose your XP or whatever.
You keep all your XP and items, but you'll lose all the souls you've collected. If you touch your bloodstain before you die again, you'll recover all of them. Without respawning enemies it'd be possible to get stuck with a low-level character without any chance to improve his/her stats.

archnemesis said:
You keep all your XP and items, but you'll lose all the souls you've collected. If you touch your bloodstain before you die again, you'll recover all of them. Without respawning enemies it'd be possible to get stuck with a low-level character without any chance to improve his/her stats.

oh so if you keep dying, you still keep getting stronger right? nice

momolicious said:
Yes, exactly. Once you beat the first boss you can spend souls to upgrade your character's stats. You'll also need souls to repair equipment and buy expendable items such as healing herbs and arrows.

Zzoram

momolicious said:

That's only true if you occasionally go back to Nexus and cache in souls for levels at the maiden in black. Otherwise you won't change.

Don't worry about dying, it's a natural part of learning a level. Along the way you can unlock shortcuts in almost every level that will stay open even after you die. That will allow you to get back to where you were more quickly.

You have to beat 1-1 then talk to the monument above the Nexus to be able to start buying levels with souls at the maiden in black. Level 1-1 has like 3 shortcuts to unlock.

Respawning enemies means you can farm them for items or souls. Just make sure you touch your blood stain every time to recover the souls you dropped when you died. If you die again before touching the blood stain, you'll lose the first one (usually the one with most of your accumulated souls).

Canova

Banned
momolicious said:

not exactly ;P

Zzoram said:
Is there an easy cheesy way of beating the 1-4 boss? I'm scared of his ability to drain soul levels from me.

there's a cheesy way, but I won't tell ;)

he doesnt deserve to be cheesed at

Zzoram said:
Is there an easy cheesy way of beating the 1-4 boss? I'm scared of his ability to drain soul levels from me.

They are listed on the wiki. He hit me for one level when I played him. Really as long as you don't stand right next to him for the whole fight, it shouldn't be a problem. He's a fun fight. You should take him on.

Canova

Banned
momolicious said:
What happens when the servers go down after march? Will we still be able to play the game?

North American servers don't go down till at least Oct 2011. Atlus said so.

You can still play the complete game offline

Zzoram

momolicious said:
ok, If i use an archstone to go back to the nexus will i have to start from beginning of level again when i return?

Yes. How far into the game are you? Still working on 1-1 (first level)? Note you can unlock shortcuts in that level. When you walk straight from the archstone, you see a giant gate in front of you, and a smaller gate/door on the left and the right. All 3 of those are eventually opened as you pull levers throughout the level, and provide shortcuts to skip parts of the level when you go through them again.

In 1-1 there isn't much reason to return to Nexus other than to repair equipment at the blacksmith or deposit loot you've collected with stockpile Thomas. I suppose you could buy spells and miracles with the souls you're accumulating. You can't start leveling up until you beat 1-1.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I am an Australian and I have decided it is time to buy No John you are the Demon's Souls.

Simple question; what version should I buy? Japanese, America, or PAL?

Zzoram said:
Yes. How far into the game are you? Still working on 1-1 (first level)? Note you can unlock shortcuts in that level. When you walk straight from the archstone, you see a giant gate in front of you, and a smaller gate/door on the left and the right. All 3 of those are eventually opened as you pull levers throughout the level, and provide shortcuts to skip parts of the level when you go through them again.

In 1-1 there isn't much reason to return to Nexus other than to repair equipment at the blacksmith or deposit loot you've collected with stockpile Thomas. I suppose you could buy spells and miracles with the souls you're accumulating. You can't start leveling up until you beat 1-1.

yeah im still at 1-1 castle area i guess. Just unlocked the big gate

ijed

EatChildren said:
I am an Australian and I have decided it is time to buy No John you are the Demon's Souls.

There's also Honk Kong/Asian version which is same servers as Japanese version but full english.

If you have mates you want to play with get same version as them otherwise doesn't really matter.

Cheapest locally seems to be Big W for $45:
http://www.bigw.com.au/entertainmen...games/bpnBIGW_0000000259487/ps3-demon-s-souls

Canova

Banned
EatChildren said:

your best bet is America or PAL, online should still be pretty active for both regions

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Thanks guys. I can order a copy from the US for ~AU$32 so I'll do that.

Finally beat it! Spent most of the day playing. Nowhere near platinum, but maybe I peck away at that over time. Certainly hope we see a sequel of sorts. I don't finish a lot of games these days, but I enjoyed every bit of DS (once I got the hang of it). :D

that dragon that swoops constantly over and over again over bridge is cheap, even while its doing it and you run with it it will only come back again and kill you...

ijed

momolicious said:
that dragon that swoops constantly over and over again over bridge is cheap, even while its doing it and you run with it it will only come back again and kill you...

Hold down Circle to sprint :)

Zzoram

momolicious said:

Wait for him to go by, don't immediately run. I think you have to wait until the dragon starts returning to it's perch to run. If it hasn't done so, it can swing around for another pass faster than expected.

Once it's returning to it's perch, but hasn't reached it yet, sprint (hold O) and just run around all the enemies until you past the point that gets burned by dragon fire.

oracrest

momolicious said:

You can run straight through this area and avoid being killed. Keep an eye out for a crispy group of corpses. That is about where the fire will begin to damage you if you are standing past it. Also, don't be tempted to pick up any dropped items by those guys on the bridge.

Once you start running, there is no turning back. Just drain out your stamina bar.

Zzoram said:
Farming Suckerstone and Marrowstone is so annoying. There are no sources near an archstone.

For suckerstone I think you could go backwards from the Old Hero archstone and kill the slugs near the end of 4-2. For marrowstone I pretty much used this method: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQZ9CoHCOpg Except I equipped the Talisman of beasts along with the large sword of searching and had firespray and evacuate as my only spells or miracles. If you just run by all the enemies it should be a pretty quick farming process. You don't really need to be concerned about poison as you won't be in the level long enough for it to do much damage. If you don't have fire spray then flame toss or soul arrow would work well too.

Jeramii

Banned
quick question:

has anyone here ever needed to restore their system from a backup of their ps3 HDD?

specifically, someone who has played demon souls and that was part of the backup?

i had YLOD a month ago, lost all my demon souls stuff, and this time around i want to keep a back up of my entire HDD. i had a backup from last year before i started playing demon souls, and i was able to get most my games back except killzone 2, heavy rain, and assassins creed II. those games turned out to be ones with locked save files. I noticed demon souls is locked... so i'm all paranoid I'll lose all that hard work again.

oracrest

I'm firing 740 light arrows into the blue dragon as I write this. clever rat's ring, health < 30%, ring of giant strength. Small bow.

Hopefully this works.

drinking wine.

Zzoram

oracrest said:
I'm firing 740 light arrows into the blue dragon as I write this. clever rat's ring, health < 30%, ring of giant strength.

Hopefully this works.

740 arrows wow

what bow and what's your dex? you should be fine unless blue dragon is insanely high in hp

oracrest

740 arrows were not enough. I am going to have to start shedding armor to be able to carry more arrows. I think I could make it through naked, I have the battles down pretty good.

But, my small bow also breaks before I can shoot them all. I may bring some kind of backup bow, and just use it with skill disadvantage. You can't fix a bow with a grindstone, right?

The upside was that it was incredibly close to killing him (a single pixel width red bar on screen.) So I am not too far off.

Top Bottom