• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Zzoram

catashtrophe said:
Can anyone give me a hand?

I need the friend and foe ring, could anyone drop both for me so I get the trophy and will give straight back?

I have neither. It's so hard to get them. I need a PBWT event to get the +1 I need to get the Friend's Ring.

What play through are you on to have all the other rings in the game? If you're basically done everything and about to move to NG+, that's the best time to get the Foe's Ring by killing the shopkeeper NPCs outside Nexus.

I've just started NG++

First time I played through the game I used zero guides or help and missed loads of stuff so grabbed as much as I can on my 2nd play through.

This play through I hope to get most best weapons trophies, miracles trophy and rings trophy and all weapons if possible.

On souls level 117

catashtrophe said:
I've just started NG++

First time I played through the game I used zero guides or help and missed loads of stuff so grabbed as much as I can on my 2nd play through.

This play through I hope to get most best weapons trophies, miracles trophy and rings trophy and all weapons if possible.

On souls level 117
Hey i can be on tonight i have the foes ring. SH1NZ, anytime after 5pm central us time.

Zzoram

I'm SL 95 still in NG. Am I crazy for wanting to get to SL 100 before going to NG+? I want to collect unique items and farm stones as much as I can in NG while things are easier.

Krauser Kat said:
Hey i can be on tonight i have the foes ring. SH1NZ, anytime after 5pm central us time.
Thanks but I think I need someone with both rings so they can drop them for me so I can get my trophy and return the rings.

Zzoram said:
I have neither. It's so hard to get them. I need a PBWT event to get the +1 I need to get the Friend's Ring.

What play through are you on to have all the other rings in the game? If you're basically done everything and about to move to NG+, that's the best time to get the Foe's Ring by killing the shopkeeper NPCs outside Nexus.

I found that a really easy way to turn your character tendency white is to kill an invading black phantom as a blue phantom. So you could try to get into a pvp tournament by dropping a blue eye stone in 4-1 or just help people in invasion heavy levels like 1-3 and 4-2.

Zzoram

Is it just me or is the world server still almost pure white? I want to shift to black and was hoping the world server would take me to neutral but it's still mostly pure white except for world 1.

roxya

Zzoram said:
I'm SL 95 still in NG. Am I crazy for wanting to get to SL 100 before going to NG+? I want to collect unique items and farm stones as much as I can in NG while things are easier.

You may aswell farm what you can in NG (exhaust all of the geckos, grab as many colourless souls as possible, for instance), but you shouldn't be worrying about your level when you're that high. Go at 95, go at 100, it doesn't matter. You're easily high enough for NG+.

Zzoram said:
Is it just me or is the world server still almost pure white? I want to shift to black and was hoping the world server would take me to neutral but it's still mostly pure white except for world 1.

I haven't played for a long time, but the online tendency has always pointed towards white. That's why PWWT is usually very easy playing online, and offline play is reserved for PBWT!

Zzoram

All I need now are a few stones to finish my Colorless, Moon, Tearing, Fatal, Mercury, Dark, Sharp, Crescent and Blessed weapons. I'm thinking that I can farm them all in NG if I go offline and PBWT with Ephemereal Stones but are drop rates better in NG+?

Jswanko said:
Just picked up after sitting on the fence for a year and I definitely don't regret it. It sucks having to replay the same section over and over but i love how rewarding it is to try something different and finally get it right.

Like Zzoram said, it's got the same kind of difficulty as a Mario game. All of the levels can be beaten in ~ 5-10 minutes without really skipping content if you know what you are doing, and pretty much everything is "fair". You'll die a lot, but if you play it in soul mode there's no penalty for dying so you can just rush through the level until you can beat it in your sleep.

Zzoram said:
Is BP Selen hard? Are there only 5 colorless demon's souls to get per NG?

I soulsucked her so I wouldn't really know but I imagine that her sword ignoring shields and the fact that you can't roll in the swamp while she can, and her ability to use anti-magic field makes her pretty hard. Maybe you could go into hyper mode and try to sneak up to overpower her quickly.

There are ten colourless demon's souls per playthrough. 5 from the primeval demons in each world, one near Miralda in 1-1, two from Mephistopheles and two from trading a talisman of God and Gold mask with the crow in 4-1.

Zzoram

electroshockwave said:
I soulsucked her so I wouldn't really know but I imagine that her sword ignoring shields and the fact that you can't roll in the swamp while she can, and her ability to use anti-magic field makes her pretty hard. Maybe you could go into hyper mode and try to sneak up to overpower her quickly.

There are ten colourless demon's souls per playthrough. 5 from the primeval demons in each world, one near Miralda in 1-1, two from Mephistopheles and two from trading a talisman of God and Gold mask with the crow in 4-1.

Those sound easy to get, I'll grab those next.

As for what to upgrade, I'm leaning towards magic + bow with melee for support. What's the best item for me to upgrade with colorless souls? Kris Blade? Something else?

oracrest

I started a 5th game on a friend's system, and picked a Hunter. I have always wanted to make an Axe based melee character, so this works. Got through 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, and up to Flamelurker. Died just twice! :)

This makes me really want to do a NeoGAF live playthrough, and record my screen. All I have is my laptop at home, so I probably can't do a direct video conversion.

Risible

Zzoram said:
I'm gonna try to cheese her with poison cloud, thief's ring, and graverobber's ring.

I was able to use the Meatcleaver to hit her, knock her down, and then time the hits to knock her down as she got back up.

ijed

Zzoram said:
Those sound easy to get, I'll grab those next.

As for what to upgrade, I'm leaning towards magic + bow with melee for support. What's the best item for me to upgrade with colorless souls? Kris Blade? Something else?

+1 vote for Kris Blade

Maginally useful would be Adjudicator shield (handy in 5-2) or Rune Shield/Sword to counteract Mag Def- debuffs from kris knife/ring mag sharp/monk's wrap.
Least useful probably Epee Rapier or Phosphorecent Pole

Risible said:
I was able to use the Meatcleaver to hit her, knock her down, and then time the hits to knock her down as she got back up.
Yep - stick on sticky white or cursed weapon, get in backstab then keep knocking her down ftw

Zzoram

24 vit
24 int
22 end
22 str
18 dex
30 mag
24 fat
8 luck

where do I go from here? I've been using talisman of the beast + crescent kilij +4 on RH, sticky compound long bow +5 and purple flame shield +6 on LH.

ijed

Zzoram said:
24 vit
24 int
22 end
22 str
18 dex
30 mag
24 fat
8 luck

where do I go from here? I've been using talisman of the beast + crescent kilij +4 on RH, sticky compound long bow +5 and purple flame shield +6 on LH.

push int to 30 for another magic slot if ya want
dex up if you want a bit more dmg out of the Sticky CLB
crank mag for some more magic damage.
endurance is also a good one if you're doing much melee - 40 end will give you max stamina bar.

I'd also stick with kris knife in the off-hand instead of Sticky CLB for most of the time then switch to CLB when you need it.

Zzoram

Should I replace the PFS with Kris? I know the Kris is a terrible shield but lately I've noticed that I'm not actually blocking much anymore. Rolling seems better. Alternatively, would a Morion Blade beat Kris since it's all purpose damage boost?

I rely on the SCLB to farm Reaper and to cheese strong enemies at great distance. I also use it to kill crystal lizards.

ijed

Zzoram said:
Should I replace the PFS with Kris? I know the Kris is a terrible shield but lately I've noticed that I'm not actually blocking much anymore. Rolling seems better.
Sure You can always chop and change depending on the level/enemies you're facing - just carry a few handy bits of gear in your inventory if you think you might need them.

Zzoram said:
Alternatively, would a Morion Blade beat Kris since it's all purpose damage boost?
Only works when your HP < 30% (Same with clever rat's ring)

Zzoram said:
I rely on the SCLB to farm Reaper and to cheese strong enemies at great distance. I also use it to kill crystal lizards.

Yeah me too - if I have thiefs ring on I'll be able to spot the lizards before they notice me so I just equip the CLB then and fire awy - after I'm done switch back to default setup

Aske said:
Link to this please?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z6bm27VTis

Zzoram said:
what's the best way to clear the crystal gecko nest in 2-2 without firestorm or god's wrath?

I searched and it looks like some people recommend stealth and a bow: http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/forum/t-232727 I was only able to get a few of them when I ran in and used soul ray on and didn't find firestorm to be that useful either as it wasn't guaranteed to hit them. God's wrath is the only way I found to be sure to get them all. You shouldn't really worry about losing a few, their drops are useful but not exceptionally valuable.

Zzoram

I like how the speed run guy switches to Ring of Avarice just as he kills the bosses so that by the time souls get to him, the bonus 20% souls effect has activated. He also makes excellent use of the roll invincibility and parry.

I don't get why he sometimes loads the game only to spawn at the same spot though.

Zzoram said:
what's the best way to clear the crystal gecko nest in 2-2 without firestorm or god's wrath?
Cloak or thief's ring with your sticky. I would God's wrath with Sincere Prayer ring equipped and watch those geckos die! :p

Zzoram said:
I like how the speed run guy switches to Ring of Avarice just as he kills the bosses so that by the time souls get to him, the bonus 20% souls effect has activated. He also makes excellent use of the roll invincibility and parry.

I don't get why he sometimes loads the game only to spawn at the same spot though.

One of my favourite parts of the speed run is where he rolls through the barrage of arrows in 3-1 but stops just long enough to pick up the clever rat's ring. Then just at the top of the stairs before entering the boss' fog gate he stops so that the black phantom can hit him with her crossbow and drop his health below 30%. He then spends the entire rest of world 3 in hyper mode without healing.

I think he reloads at times to reset enemies to their spawn position. The time he does it in 1-3 I think it's to get behind the soldiers that try to ambush you.

Zzoram

OK just need to kill BP Rydell and I should finally be pure white character and get my Friend's Ring. Also killing BP Rydell is the last world tendency event I need so I'll be glad to be done with that.

Zzoram

canova said:
no it doesn't

Dang.

Farming mercury stone, marrow stone, and sucker stone chunks seems like it'll be a pain. I also still need a darkmoonstone pure but no luck. Is a pure drop impossible without pure black?

Aske

electroshockwave said:

Awesome, thank you. I found a few speed runs on YT when I looked, but this one didn't come up. I've been able to do the drop and kill stratagy on the reaper a few times, but whether or not I survive the fall seems a bit random. I got all the way to the boss one time, but more through luck than good judgement. This is the first level I haven't had a 100% reliable strategy for beating by the end, and of course it's the first one I've tackled that doesn't let me create a shortcut after getting through it once. So irritating!

Zzoram said:
Dang.

Farming mercury stone, marrow stone, and sucker stone chunks seems like it'll be a pain. I also still need a darkmoonstone pure but no luck. Is a pure drop impossible without pure black?

I've gotten two pure darkmoonstones and neither of them were in black world tendency. Actually, I think one of them was in pure white tendency. I'd say if you have black world tendency and go after the crystal lizards in 4-3 they're almost certain to drop a pure stone.

If you're going to do multiple playthroughs with your current character or go for platinum I think you could mostly avoid farming for mercury or suckerstone chunks as there are a few you can find as treasure in each playthrough.

oracrest

as always, Flamelurker is a BITCH!

easily my most difficult battle every playthrough. I don't know how other melee players do it, but I have to get the timing of his fire blasts perfect so I don't get damaged, and can be close enough to attack. If I get caught up in two of his attacks back to back, I am pretty much dead.

I think I will probably blow through quite a few stone of ephemeral eyes on this guy. Hopefully I can kill him before my world goes full black. Wouldn't that be some shit.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
oracrest said:

easily my most difficult battle every playthrough. I don't know how other melee players do it, but I have to get the timing of his fire blasts perfect so I don't get damaged, and can be close enough to attack. If I get caught up in two of his attacks back to back, I am pretty much dead.

I think I will probably blow through quite a few stone of ephemeral eyes on this guy. Hopefully I can kill him before my world goes full black. Wouldn't that be some shit.

I rolled... a lot.
Wait till he swings at you, roll away from the attack (usually to the right) then roll one more time in the same direction. Run up, stab him, roll away. Continue process.

I found when he did the flame blast I could roll directly backwards and avoid damage.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
oracrest said:

I just beat him an hour ago (NG+) and yeah, he gave me a bit of trouble, and took me down a couple of times. As soon as I realized all his attacks are fire-based, even his melees, I started casting water veil (a godsend in this fight) and spamming him with Soul Ray (had Ring of Magical Sharpness equipped to amplify my magic). Obviously equipping anything that raises your fire defense is a good idea, I wore pieces of the Brushwood (with the Ring of Great Strength of course, rolling is a must in this fight).

I can't offer any advice if your character is a purely melee fighter though, sorry.

Bankoiia

Zzoram said:
Dang.

I second the crystal lizards on 4-3. I got two of them on NG during PWT.

oracrest

Jinfash said:
I just beat him an hour ago (NG+) and yeah, he gave me a bit of trouble, and took me down a couple of times. As soon as I realized all his attacks are fire-based, even his melees, I started casting water veil (a godsend in this fight) and spamming him with Soul Ray (had Ring of Magical Sharpness equipped to amplify my magic). Obviously equipping anything that raises your fire defense is a good idea, I wore pieces of the Brushwood (with the Ring of Great Strength of course, rolling is a must in this fight).

I can't offer any advice if your character is a purely melee fighter though, sorry.

For this playthrough, here is what I am looking at.

Level 1 character. All melee (no magic at all). No help from blue phantoms.

I never thought to use the ring of giant strength, but that should open up at least a few other shields and weapons that I might use. I have been using the flame resistance ring.

EDIT: if I am reading the wiki correctly, this would effectively make my 9 strength a 13/14. This would either just allow me to be able to use adjudicator's shield, or just not enough...

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Eh, I'm starting to think this game just isn't for me. I absolutely loathe farming, trial and error levels, the horrendous magic targeting system, sometimes janky controls, holes in the floor (oh too bad, you have to start at the beginning again because you didn't see this hole in the ground 4 feet in front of you), and getting sent back to the start if I die on a boss. I've beaten 5 or so levels already, and while they were enjoyable, they were all a bit too dungeon crawler for my liking.

ijed

Zzoram said:
Are those the ones by the ridiculous sword in the ground?

Yep

alr1ghtstart said:
Eh, I'm starting to think this game just isn't for me. I absolutely loathe farming, trial and error levels, the horrendous magic targeting system, sometimes janky controls, holes in the floor (oh too bad, you have to start at the beginning again because you didn't see this hole in the ground 4 feet in front of you), and getting sent back to the start if I die on a boss. I've beaten 5 or so levels already, and while they were enjoyable, they were all a bit too dungeon crawler for my liking.

There's no time limit to the levels - slow down a bit and open your eyes and you should be able to navigate your way through the levels without walking blindly into a trap... same with targetting system - wear thief's ring, take it slow and you'll be able to lock onto enemies before the notice you.

Top Bottom