• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Canova

Banned
oracrest said:
740 arrows were not enough. I am going to have to start shedding armor to be able to carry more arrows. I think I could make it through naked, I have the battles down pretty good.

But, my small bow also breaks before I can shoot them all. I may bring some kind of backup bow, and just use it with skill disadvantage. You can't fix a bow with a grindstone, right?

The upside was that it was incredibly close to killing him (a single pixel width red bar on screen.) So I am not too far off.

why use small bow and light arrows?

upgrade your compound long bow and use heavy arrows. use those in hyper mode and he should be dead in less than 100 arrows

ijed

oracrest said:
740 arrows were not enough. I am going to have to start shedding armor to be able to carry more arrows. I think I could make it through naked, I have the battles down pretty good.

But, my small bow also breaks before I can shoot them all. I may bring some kind of backup bow, and just use it with skill disadvantage. You can't fix a bow with a grindstone, right?

Not sure about grindstone - could always buy a second bow from Graverobber Blige. Have you upgraded the bow at all? STR10 could use Long bow with no disadvantage...

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
So I killed Graverobber Blige in 4-2 after someone invaded my game (stupid targeting locked onto him). Is he gone for good? Did I just screw myself out of the only good arrow dealer?

alr1ghtstart said:
So I killed Graverobber Blige in 4-2 after someone invaded my game (stupid targeting locked onto him). Is he gone for good? Did I just screw myself out of the only good arrow dealer?

He's gone until the next playthrough, yeah.

elohel

alr1ghtstart said:

ive done that too

yeah he dead

Om3ga

alr1ghtstart said:
Pretty much ya he's gone for good this game he'll be back in your new game. You can still buy heavy arrows from Patches the Hyena though.

Canova

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:

Patches has heavy arrows which will do more damage

Om3ga

Zzoram said:
so is it worth it to master parry riposte? the speed run guy did it a few times against skeletons but that's it
I wouldn't say it's worth it to master it, since if you can block then you can counter (non pvp) which does high damage anyway. I personally do it all the time while playing single player even if it means dying just because it's more fun. Plus when going through the game @ lvl 28 you need as much extra damage as possible.

In pvp most people can kill you in 1-3 hits. It's definitely satisfying to do, but you'll lose many fights just because you're timing is off slightly. When I'm a Blue Phantom or being invaded (unless I want BWT or PBWT) i won't even try it unless I know the weapon or the person is really aggressive (really easy to do on aggressive attackers). When invading as a BP I do it or attempt to do it all the time xD, especially in world 3 :).

Pvp wise it would probably be better to master rolling and getting in position to backstab. Especially with many players using weapons like Dragon Bone Smasher or similar Crushing type weapons.

Zzoram

I don't even remember how you do parry and riposte. They don't seem to be in the wiki and it's been 70+ hours since the tutorial. Could someone explain them to me? Also is there a proper counter move or do you just mean attacking after blocking a swing?

Zzoram

Cloudius12 said:
iirc you only can do it with small shields like Dark Silver Shield or a dagger (any dagger I believe) in your left hand.

what do you press? L1 timed to their attack animation? Is that just parry? How do you riposte?

Om3ga

Riposte is R1 after a successful parry (which is L2 while holding a weapon or shield capable of parrying). You'll know you've done it properly when you push the person back and they are stunned. it does about x4 damage if you can do it though. Backstabbing does x2 damage. Counter attacking does about 40% extra damage on the first hit I think.

Counter is basically that, blocking and then attacking when they are stunned or attacking while they are attacking you, but not trading blows.

edit:

Actually I think you get the extra counter damage bonus when trading hits as well, but I'm not too sure.

You can can get Parry/Riposte practice on Red and Blue Knights (pretty much anyone in Boletaria is good), The 3 types of skeletons in world 4, (although getting it on the katana one is REALLY hard) NPCs and Black Phantoms.

You could also get alot of practice by just invading as a Black Phantom. Just make sure you use up all your souls or Die in the Nexus first before invading (it says on wiki that you can collect your bloodstain later though I haven't tried it)

Zzoram

Om3ga said:
Riposte is R1 after a successful parry (which is L2 while holding a weapon or shield capable of parrying). You'll know you've done it properly when you push the person back and they are stunned. it does about x4 damage if you can do it though. Backstabbing does x2 damage. Counter attacking does about 40% extra damage on the first hit I think.

Counter is basically that, blocking and then attacking when they are stunned or attacking while they are attacking you, but not trading blows.

Thanks. Can the Kris Blade parry? Can any weapon Riposte? What's the best way to use a Crescent Axe? R1 swings wide and R2 swings overhead narrow. Do I use R2 in corridors and R1 in open spaces then? Do some weapons use more stamina to swing than others?

Zzoram said:
Thanks. Can the Kris Blade parry? Can any weapon Riposte? What's the best way to use a Crescent Axe? R1 swings wide and R2 swings overhead narrow. Do I use R2 in corridors and R1 in open spaces then? Do some weapons use more stamina to swing than others?

Here's the wiki entry on parry and riposte: http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/parry
I had no idea that spells could do more damage after parrying.

Yeah, different weapons use different amounts of stamina. You can test this easily by trying a heavy weapon like the Dragon bone smasher but you can also see how many consecutive swings you can get from similar weapons before you run out of stamina. I haven't really used the crescent axe but if you have the space for an overhead swing then I don't see why not. Usually in narrow areas I use weapons that have a piercing attack like the long sword or uchi to avoid hitting the wall or ceiling.

Om3ga

Zzoram said:

From wiki:

These are the weapons and shields that can parry:

Shields that can parry

Slave's Shield
Wooden Shield
Leather Shield
Soldier's Shield
Buckler
Heater Shield
Kite Shield
Knight's Shield
Rune Shield
Dark Silver Shield

Weapons that can parry (when equiped in the left hand)

Dagger
Parrying Dagger
Secret Dagger
Baby's Nail
Shotel
Scimitar
Falchion
Kilij
Blind
Large Sword of Searching
Uchigatana
Hiltless
Magic Sword "Makoto"
Mail Breaker
Rapier
Estoc
Geri's Stiletto
Epee Rapier
Spiral Rapier
Needle of Eternal Agony
Iron Knuckles
Claws
Hands of God
Bare Hands (Unequipped)

So to answer your question (the long way) no, Kris Blade cannot parry. I haven't heard of any weapon not being able to Riposte, but I'm sure there may be a few.

For your other question. I use Katana exclusively (right now anyway) So i'm not too sure about your axe question. I usually only use R2 when I know it's going to hit or to keep people away. If they dodge it through it's an easy backstab and it leaves you open for counter/criticals as well. It's good to use it on players who run away to heal though. You can usually kill people that way, since they'll have been rolling around a bit an R2 hit will usually crush their guard and leave them open for a critical hit/counter. It's also a good surprise opener in PVP and really effective if you dodge a spell or heavy attack. Single Player wise use your R2 attack whenever you feel like it honestly just know your range and the speed of the attacker.

Basically you use R2 as a way to wear down a person defenses and to slow them down. If somebody is running at you, use it to get them to back off or roll away. Some weapons Like the Dragon Bone Smasher have really good R2 attacks.

Also since I'm not an expert on Axes I'd say the best thing would be to Experiment. Invade people as a BP don't worry about loses. See how it works for you and how people respond to it.

edit:

xD beaten.

oracrest

canova said:
why use small bow and light arrows?

upgrade your compound long bow and use heavy arrows. use those in hyper mode and he should be dead in less than 100 arrows

I am a level 1 Royal, with a strength of 9. I think Small Bow is the only one I can use without having "not enough skill."

I'm actually not sure how the weapons and damage are altered when you don't have enough ability with it.

alr1ghtstart said:
You can get target locked onto NPC? I thought you only can do that after you made them angry? Last time I checked.

roxya

Zzoram said:
I keep getting hit by the first shot, then die to the 2nd before I can make it due to the hit recovery.

He has a pattern, I think it was left, left, right, right. So when he switches from left to right, run up the left side. Or the other way around. You don't need to take any damage getting up there.

Zzoram

ok killed him, going to cache in souls to hit lvl 100 then use the mauseleum key to get the last ring i need other than foe's ring

Zzoram

so I can't use soul thirst with second chance? ugh the wiki doesn't tell me that but it won't let me cast soul thirst and second chance won't go away

Haha, just got invaded for the first time. Unfortunately he left before I could try and beat his ass. He didn't look awfully strong or well equipped.

Wool

gdt5016 said:
So, apparently World 5 sucks? About to hop in, I think.

World 5 is my favorite of them all. It's a lot more about the environmental challenges than the enemies themselves.

I read about world 5 getting a lot of hate, but it didn't bother me. Come to think of it, I don't think I truly disliked any of the worlds. They were each fun in their own right. 3-1 is about the only one that got on my nerves because it started to feel the same after awhile.

Zzoram

3-1 was a bit of a maze but the atmosphere was great. First level to really scare the crap out of me.

I really enjoy world 1 because it's day time and you can actually see stuff clearly. I especially thought that 1-1 was really well designed, the way there were shortcuts to unlock and stuff.

World 5 isn't bad at all if you're a strong character. I can see how a low level or poor gear character would struggle with constantly being poisoned and trying not to die to those giant depraved clubs.

Zzoram

what the heck, i'm pretty sure i have all the rings but i didn't get the trophy

i spoke too soon. i'm missing magical dullness in 5-1, ugh.

I liked the atmosphere in 3-1, I was just getting frustrated when I went back later on to try to find Rydell, only to realize I still didn't grab the proper key.

This game made me jump a few times. Probably one of few games to do that... of course knowing that you can die in a split second does that to you. I hope they keep the difficulty up in Project Dark or whatever the spiritual successor holds. :)

Got the mausoleum key last night. Never did get it in my first play through. I want to go play it now, but it's storming pretty bad here...

Zzoram

Ok NG+ is quite hard. Well, 1-1 and 4-1 were easy but 2-1 I've died like a dozen times. Maybe it's because I don't remember the layout of 2-1 very well, but mostly I think the cramped spaces just don't work well for my weapons. I need to make a powerful rapier or spear so I don't have to worry about hitting walls instead of enemies.

Okay I beat 2-1 too. That wasn't so bad, just Second Chance + Soul Ray, lots of fresh spice and half moon grass.

I'm really scared of 2-2.

Zzoram

Man NG+ is tough. I might have to grind out a few levels before I try Flamelurker again. What stats/gear were you guys beating Flamelurker NG+ with?

IrishNinja

Zzoram said:
what the heck, i'm pretty sure i have all the rings but i didn't get the trophy

i spoke too soon. i'm missing magical dullness in 5-1, ugh.

haha, this exact thing happened to me, i was like "WTF where's my...oh."

dont recall the level for NG+ flamelurker, but i wanna say i was still under 150...shit was rough. water veil, purple shield +10 or whatever, still wasnt easy.

oracrest

ijed said:
Not sure about grindstone - could always buy a second bow from Graverobber Blige. Have you upgraded the bow at all? STR10 could use Long bow with no disadvantage...

Yeah, I bought a second bow for when the first breaks.

808 arrows weren't enough either :/

I did some R&D and discovered than holy arrows do a bit more damage. I am going to try a run with them. I would use long bow, but my strength is 9.

with that strength, I can only carry 860 arrows if I have no other weighted objects. So I need two bows, and a couple of herbs, and the rest of my inventory is arrows and a couple of rings.

Zzoram

oracrest said:
Yeah, I bought a second bow for when the first breaks.

808 arrows weren't enough either :/

I did some R&D and discovered than holy arrows do a bit more damage. I am going to try a run with them. I would use long bow, but my strength is 9.

with that strength, I can only carry 860 arrows if I have no other weighted objects. So I need two bows, and a couple of herbs, and the rest of my inventory is arrows and a couple of rings.

can't you use ring of great strength to carry more stuff?

I'm really missing Patches in NG+. No heavy arrows sucks, regular arrows are so weak.

oracrest

Zzoram said:
can't you use ring of great strength to carry more stuff?

I'm really missing Patches in NG+. No heavy arrows sucks, regular arrows are so weak.

I am already using that ring. If I can't do it, ill try running past his second perch,
And shoot him up closer.

coldvein

Banned
just started this thing today! made a Noble (royal?) named Michael Pemulis. i'm sure this has been asked five thousand times in these epic threads, but...is there anything i should know starting out? particularly in the area of character development? or will i enjoy this more if i just fling myself into it blind? i'm pretty broke atm, can't afford new games really, and i'm glad i've got this baby to dig my teeth into..

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Go in blind. Enjoy.

Zzoram

coldvein said:
just started this thing today! made a Noble (royal?) named Michael Pemulis. i'm sure this has been asked five thousand times in these epic threads, but...is there anything i should know starting out? particularly in the area of character development? or will i enjoy this more if i just fling myself into it blind? i'm pretty broke atm, can't afford new games really, and i'm glad i've got this baby to dig my teeth into..

It doesn't take long to roll new characters if you want to try other stuff in the future. Just don't put points in Luck, it's useless. There is only 1 reason to ever put points in luck, and that's a very questionable decision of using a unique sword that has damage based on your luck.

Also, don't stress out if you die. I put 72 hours into the game and died over 300 times by the time I beat the game for the first time. There is a way to check how many times you died after you beat the game, there is some leaderboard type thing to look at that only gets filled with your info after you beat the game. I'm still in NG+ right now having a blast redoing the levels now that they're harder, as I try to get some more trophies.

Zzoram

Today I was the old monk my first time ever. It was against 2 guys with heavy weapons and armor. I almost killed the host with Soul Ray but his phantom managed to distract me while he ran off to heal. I ended up losing because I had trouble hitting them with my Blessed Crescent Axe +5 and couldn't get the space to eat spice to shoot Soul Ray anymore.

I had to try it again obviously, and luckily I was summoned again within 5 minutes. This time the guy was alone, and I swapped my Talisman of the Beast for a Wooden Catalyst, Ring of Magical Sharpness, Foe's Ring, and Fireball. He ate 3 of them then died, stuck in the Fireball stun lock. I finally got my Monk's Head Collar. Felt kinda cheap, but magic is fair isn't it? I didn't use Scraping Spear or anything, lol.

Zzoram

canova said:
take a break man, PLaystation meeting is on!!!

Are they talking about Project Dark?

Also, after successfully killing the host as old monk, I got sent to 4-2 archstone. Why was that? I was in 3-1 when I planted my blue stone down.

oracrest

coldvein said:

More than any other thread I have seen, "that's already been discussed in this thread" is never an issue.

We enjoy new players asking questions and telling of their experiences. Going in blind is a perfect way to experience the game, it's incredibly explorative. Anything you "missed" in the first playthrough, you can focus on in New Game+

Taoofberg

I finally got a chance to play this, and it is a really great game. Bummed out about the Black Phantoms, though--is there anything I can do to stop people from jumping into my game? Some dude just speared me to death and it broke all of my items, cost of repair is way more than the souls I have.

Granted, not great items, but seems a bit of unfair that top-level people can just up and ruin all my equipment.

Top Bottom