• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

alr1ghtstart said:
Eh, I'm starting to think this game just isn't for me. I absolutely loathe farming, trial and error levels, the horrendous magic targeting system, sometimes janky controls, holes in the floor...

Same here. I recognize that Demons' Souls is a truly excellent game, but the cheapness/difficulty of some of the combat and bosses turns me off. Furthermore, this difficulty is not intentional, it's just the result of insufficient testing/development effort (as the developers have admitted in interviews).

However, I recently upgraded my club to a Meat Cleaver which has made things a bit easier. Great environments & atmosphere, awesome looking bosses, good combat mechanics as well. It's the game of 2009 for me, even tho I probably won't finish it.

There's not a single boss that I haven't defeated with a cheap tactic (thanks Gamefaqs). That can't be a developer's goal--to make a game for which players practically need a walk-through (unless they're 14 yrs old and have lots of time).

alr1ghtstart said:
Eh, I'm starting to think this game just isn't for me. I absolutely loathe farming, trial and error levels, the horrendous magic targeting system, sometimes janky controls, holes in the floor (oh too bad, you have to start at the beginning again because you didn't see this hole in the ground 4 feet in front of you), and getting sent back to the start if I die on a boss. I've beaten 5 or so levels already, and while they were enjoyable, they were all a bit too dungeon crawler for my liking.

Farming is only for plat and trial and error is mostly just learning the enemies (and you can get around it by taking it slowly).

There's not a single boss that I haven't defeated with a cheap tactic (thanks Gamefaqs). That can't be a developer's goal--to make a game for which players practically need a walk-through (unless they're 14 yrs old and have lots of time).

Most of the bosses aren't bad at all, so I don't know what you're talking about. Phalanx you just beat on, Tower Knight you just hit his feet until he falls down, Maneaters just require you to take advantage of the fire that he won't jump through, Adjudicator is easy enough in melee (hit the weak spot, knock him down, hit the glowing spot). It helps to have a guide to know when to attack and where, but you don't need to cheat out any of the bosses.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
NovemberMike said:
Farming is only for plat and trial and error is mostly just learning the enemies (and you can get around it by taking it slowly).

See that's the thing, these levels take 1-2 hours to explore, and then wham bam, fuck you, you're dead, you have to start over. It's just not appealing. If there was a quick save or save before the bosses, it would be understandable.

I never did play MegaMan for this very reason.

Zzoram

alr1ghtstart said:
Eh, I'm starting to think this game just isn't for me. I absolutely loathe farming, trial and error levels, the horrendous magic targeting system, sometimes janky controls, holes in the floor (oh too bad, you have to start at the beginning again because you didn't see this hole in the ground 4 feet in front of you), and getting sent back to the start if I die on a boss. I've beaten 5 or so levels already, and while they were enjoyable, they were all a bit too dungeon crawler for my liking.

Not just the above, but getting back to the boss in most levels takes like a minute or two once you've opened up all the shortcuts on the way to the boss.

You can beat most levels in 5 minutes or less with shortcuts if you ignore some of the earlier enemies.

You can also cheese most bosses with arrows or magic spamming them at a distance and using the Thief's ring to break aggro.

Canova

Banned
oracrest said:
as always, Flamelurker is a BITCH!

easily my most difficult battle every playthrough. I don't know how other melee players do it, but I have to get the timing of his fire blasts perfect so I don't get damaged, and can be close enough to attack. If I get caught up in two of his attacks back to back, I am pretty much dead.

I think I will probably blow through quite a few stone of ephemeral eyes on this guy. Hopefully I can kill him before my world goes full black. Wouldn't that be some shit.

yeah he's very tough in NG+

In one of my low-level NG+ playthrus (SL 9), I just couldn't beat him no matter how hard I tried. Then I summoned a blue, which happened to be a pro player. He did a hyper mode + Compound bow+10 and white arrows. I still had to distract the flamelurker from my blue. But the guy just tore him to pieces with bow and arrows

In my other low level playthrus, I guess I was just lucky to beat him.

gdt

alr1ghtstart said:
See that's the thing, these levels take 1-2 hours to explore, and then wham bam, fuck you, you're dead, you have to start over. It's just not appealing. If there was a quick save or save before the bosses, it would be understandable.

The levels have lots of shortcuts to the boss though. In that way, it's sort of like a checkpoint (you'll never have to go through the whole level again, really). Beat 4-1 a few days ago, but I've been trying to finish inFamous in time for DS2 (opening up a slot in my rotation for it), but I'll start World 5 soon.

Zzoram

gdt5016 said:
The levels have lots of shortcuts to the boss though. In that way, it's sort of like a checkpoint (you'll never have to go through the whole level again, really). Beat 4-1 a few days ago, but I've been trying to finish inFamous in time for DS2 (opening up a slot in my rotation for it), but I'll start World 5 soon.

Make sure you get the 5-2 shortcut, walking the level is pretty rough.

I miss this game so much :(.

I just played through it so many times I eventually didn't have anything to do anymore :(.

So jealous of you guys experiencing it for the first time.

Hurry up Project Dark...

alr1ghtstart said:

Most of the levels take about 5 minutes once you know what you are doing. There's a speed run where someone beats it in under an hour without cheating (besides the 4-1 shortcut).

Zzoram

teh_J0kerer said:
I miss this game so much :(.

I just played through it so many times I eventually didn't have anything to do anymore :(.

So jealous of you guys experiencing it for the first time.

Hurry up Project Dark...

You got a platinum trophy and did a speed run? try pure melee? beat the game without leveling up?

fallagin

Bought this game a couple months ago and Im just now getting into it. Very hard, but extremely fun! I beat that phalanx pretty easily, but that one red knight in the level is craaaazy and even crazier is that green guy that is impossible to block and kills you in one hit.

This game is sooo awesome.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
perryfarrell said:
Furthermore, this difficulty is not intentional, it's just the result of insufficient testing/development effort (as the developers have admitted in interviews).
I'd like to read those interviews, because for anyone who played the game that sounds like total nonsense. Almost every aspect that added up to the difficulty looked like a conscious design decision to me. If anything, "insufficient testing" allowed for some exploits that made the game unintentionally easier in some levels/boss fights.

Zzoram

Jinfash said:
I'd like to read those interviews, because for anyone who played the game that sounds like total nonsense. Almost every aspect that added up to the difficulty looked like a conscious design decision to me. If anything, "insufficient testing" allowed for some exploits that made the game unintentionally easier in some levels/boss fights.

the unintentional exploits that made the game easier is probably the only reason a good chunk of players managed to beat the game

oracrest

ewImN.png

Thanks for the recommendation on the ring of Giant strength. I was able to marathon through the fire and dragon's tail just in time to snag it before getting smash/immolated back to the Nexus. I was able to don Gloom Armor chest piece.

It only took 3 tries to take down Flamelurker, and I also discovered that the fight is much easier for me if I don't actually target lock him. Took down Penetrator too. All that's left is 4-2, 4-3, 2-3, and 1-4

Zzoram

Wait, so the 1-4 boss can drain soul levels? Does he only do it when killing you or is it a specific spell? Can you dodge/interrupt easily? Can you somehow recover the souls lost?

Zzoram said:
Wait, so the 1-4 boss can drain soul levels? Does he only do it when killing you or is it a specific spell? Can you dodge/interrupt easily? Can you somehow recover the souls lost?
Yes. "Spell". Yes. No.

electroshockwave said:
I think you can recover the souls lost if he kills you. The souls lost from that soul level will be with the rest of them if you touch your bloodstain.
Hum didn't knew about that. But if you get soul drained and kill him you don't get them back.

YoungHav

Banned
perryfarrell said:
Same here. I recognize that Demons' Souls is a truly excellent game, but the cheapness/difficulty of some of the combat and bosses turns me off. Furthermore, this difficulty is not intentional, it's just the result of insufficient testing/development effort (as the developers have admitted in interviews).

I strongly disagree with these statements. Demon's Souls is very beatable without the use of a walkthrough (I beat it in 40hrs w/no guide, in grad school). You just need skill and patience. I only started using a guide in subsequent playthroughs to get my platinum.

And it felt great getting my ass handed to me and finally figuring out and taking down a boss. Big sense of "wwwwwoooooo!!!" that you missed out on using boss exploits. But the exploits are From's own fault.

oracrest

canova said:
yeah he's very tough in NG+

In one of my low-level NG+ playthrus (SL 9), I just couldn't beat him no matter how hard I tried. Then I summoned a blue, which happened to be a pro player. He did a hyper mode + Compound bow+10 and white arrows. I still had to distract the flamelurker from my blue. But the guy just tore him to pieces with bow and arrows

In my other low level playthrus, I guess I was just lucky to beat him.

What "clicked" was when I discovered that I need to be running away from him as he is charging at me. Whether he swipes, or lays down a fire blast, it will always just miss if your running away from him. Then, you can wheel around and hit/roll away. Also, keep the fight in the center of the arena, not off to the sides where you can get trapped by him. The target lock kept getting my character stuck in a corner, and raped to death.

Zzoram

YoungHav said:
I strongly disagree with these statements. Demon's Souls is very beatable without the use of a walkthrough (I beat it in 40hrs w/no guide, in grad school). You just need skill and patience. I only started using a guide in subsequent playthroughs to get my platinum.

And it felt great getting my ass handed to me and finally figuring out and taking down a boss. Big sense of "wwwwwoooooo!!!" that you missed out on using boss exploits. But the exploits are From's own fault.

The fact that exploits exist isn't a problem. In fact accidentally discovering a cheap way to kill a boss is quite satisfying if you did it yourself without a guide.

Zzoram said:
the unintentional exploits that made the game easier is probably the only reason a good chunk of players managed to beat the game

None of the bosses are really game breakingly tough though. Once you know the boss patterns, there's nothing really unfair about any of them.

NovemberMike said:
None of the bosses are really game breakingly tough though. Once you know the boss patterns, there's nothing really unfair about any of them.
Exactly. It reminds me of the old days when you just had to try different things to expose the bosses weakness. A perfect example is the Dragon God in 2-3. Most people I know just buff up fire resistance and run through, just using grass when they get hit. I prefer the hide behind the pillars method.

And, I'm really hoping I'll hit my platinum tonight :D

Saw this for 18 bucks used at gamestop almost bought it. Really jonesing for a online Rpg (not mmo) Was thinkg about this or WKC international addition.

Edit. Just ordered it off of Ebay for $6 with $4 shipping guess I'll be checking this out soon.

Drunkenthumbmaster said:
Saw this for 18 bucks used at gamestop almost bought it. Really jonesing for a online Rpg (not mmo) Was thinkg about this or WKC international addition.
Trust me, Demon's Souls is ten billion times the game that WKC is. Seriously. The online in WKC is awesome, but the fact that you need to go through the horribly bland SP to get all of the online missions unlocked is torture. However, Demon's Souls is awesome from the start to the finish. Period. There wasn't a single point in DS that I didn't enjoy.

YoungHav said:
Demon's Souls is the game of this generation, of this decade.
I can agree with this statement.

Solstice said:
Trust me, Demon's Souls is ten billion times the game that WKC is. Seriously. The online in WKC is awesome, but the fact that you need to go through the horribly bland SP to get all of the online missions unlocked is torture. However, Demon's Souls is awesome from the start to the finish. Period. There wasn't a single point in DS that I didn't enjoy.

I can agree with this statement.

Damn I thought it was like PSO where you could ignore the offline and just play the online that's not the case? Well Like I posted up top I ordered Demon souls off of ebay anyway.

oracrest

Drunkenthumbmaster said:
Damn I thought it was like PSO where you could ignore the offline and just play the online that's not the case? Well Like I posted up top I ordered Demon souls off of ebay anyway.

There really is no separation between offline and online with Demon's Souls, unlike most every other online game. All the multiplayer elements are carefully woven into the otherwise single player experience. How much you want to play the game with other players depends entirely on you.

oracrest

I am at the blue dragon now, and I am not sure if I have the means to kill him. I stocked up on 650 arrows, using the small bow +9. I may just have to run past his second encounter.

Unless Canova, you want to help me spam a blue dragon with arrows? I think my Biorr is dead. Do you still have a low level guy? I am trying the ring that makes you stronger when <30% HP, but still, he just takes 4 or 5 damage per Arrow.

On the good side, the dark silver shield worked wonders in 4-2. Made it in a single run, then the stormbringer.

All thats left is 1-4 and 3-2.

7 hours of farming for the pure bladestone and still nothing. Gonna go for a few more runs and probably stop for today. Maybe I'll get lucky?

oracrest said:
I am at the blue dragon now, and I am not sure if I have the means to kill him. I stocked up on 650 arrows, using the small bow +9. I may just have to run past his second encounter.

Unless Canova, you want to help me spam a blue dragon with arrows? I think my Biorr is dead. Do you still have a low level guy? I am trying the ring that makes you stronger when <30% HP, but still, he just takes 4 or 5 damage per Arrow.

On the good side, the dark silver shield worked wonders in 4-2. Made it in a single run, then the stormbringer.

All thats left is 1-4 and 3-2.

Did you use Biorr for the Penetrator fight?

Finally, it dropped. Got my 3rd pure bladestone. Time to dupe it. I don't ever want to farm for this piece of crap again. Too much torture.

fallagin

after beating 1-2 I went straight to 3-1 beat it and now I'm on 3-2. This game has a ridiculous amount of variety just in these few levels.

What is crazy is that this whole time I forgot that you could run by holding circle, but I was just barely able to get past the dragon fire in 1-2.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Game just arrived at my doorstep. Got it new from newegg for 15 dollars. Came in horrifically colored GOTY packaging but im happy it finally arrived. Not really sure what im in for...

IrishNinja

game's a steal at that price, MT - enjoy!

rest of you - how many of you use the exploits where you can on bosses, and how many fight them straight up?
the blue dragon im assuming can only be beaten arrows/magic, yeah? did you guys fight both the maneaters in 3-2, or kill the first from behind the fog? who here went toe-to-toe with the false king?
i tried on my last playthrough, got soulsucked 3-4 times (ugh) and had him down to about 4, maybe 5 hits left; he went into a flurry right as my warding ran off, died in like 1-2 hits. sucked so hard!

Kalnos

Banned
IrishNinja said:
rest of you - how many of you use the exploits where you can on bosses, and how many fight them straight up?

I don't think I ever had to exploit to beat a boss, the only thing I ever did that felt 'cheap' was use a little safe area in the wall on the
armored spider
boss.

I played as a pure melee character that first playthrough, also.

Top Bottom