• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

User 406

Banned
Oracrest, I'm currently doing a soul level 1 playthrough, and I see you're doing it too. All I've got left is Boletaria and some general cleanup, but then I'd like to get the monk's head wrappings before I start on NG+. Have you tried doing that at level 1, and if so were there any available games of low enough level to invade? I'll probably give it a shot after I get everything done just before the old one.

One thing that's fun about SL1, it's really liberating to not have to care about souls at all. :D

oracrest

Rawk Hawk said:
Gotcha, well what can you do I guess, do you lose anything for being killed?

You lose the ability to summon blue phantoms to help you. Also, your world tendency will go towards black. However, if you are playing online, the server will move world tendency towards whatever the server average is. As an example, I was using ephemeral stones to defeat blue dragon, but died so many times that the world tendency went to pure black, but after turning the game off and on again, and visiting the nexus, it will get hit with an influence towards what the server is. In my case, it took me back out of pure black tendency. Hope that makes sense.

Sea Manky said:
Oracrest, I'm currently doing a soul level 1 playthrough, and I see you're doing it too. All I've got left is Boletaria and some general cleanup, but then I'd like to get the monk's head wrappings before I start on NG+. Have you tried doing that at level 1, and if so were there any available games of low enough level to invade? I'll probably give it a shot after I get everything done just before the old one.

One thing that's fun about SL1, it's really liberating to not have to care about souls at all. :D

Yeah, I enjoy that too. I have 99 in many different types of herbs and arrows. the game really does change when the anxiety of losing souls for the purposes of leveling up goes away. The only time I needed souls desperately was for buying arrows for Blue Dragon. By that point, I just used all my hero souls, and was able to get whatever I needed.

I have never been invaded in this playthrough. Chances are slim that you will be summoned by old monk, I would guess. But, you can always just drop your stone, and then leave it there while your doing something else in your living room? Blast the volume so you can hear the cinematic if it loads up in? That.s what I would try.
Another possibility would be to have someone with that item pass it down through lower level players until someone can get into your game to give it to you. Would require a lot of collaborative help from multiple players though.

I am right at King Allant. Took a few runs on him last night, and have been getting his tactics down pretty good. He's another one hit kill unless I have my shield up. I wish I could just use ephemeral stones and do full health runs on him, but I am down to just 2, and it seems it will be equally frustrating to have to collect many more from the dirty woman in 5-2. I think I can kill him at 3/4 health.

All right, I got the game and I need some questions answered desperately.

1) I have chosen the Temple Knight class. Any tips with playing? Can I use any kind of a spear? Where can I get a better Halberd? Is it worth upgrading the one I currently have?

2) Where can I find better armor?

3) I have cleared the first level (it's called "something Palace"). I have talked with one of the Monumentals and unlocked the rest of the realms. When I choose level #2 in the realm with the palace I cleared, it transports me back to the Palace although to another location (near the Phalanx boss I defeated previously). Why is that? Did I miss something or is this the starting place of level #2?

4) I have attempted to access another realms, I believe it's called Stone somthing. A begger is the entrance dealing merchandise. I do not know how to advance here. There are 2 paths. One leads to bridge that's destroyed and the other takes me to a sort of elevator I cannot access.

5) What is Pure White Tendency/Pure Black Tendency?

6) How do I replenish my mana? How do I learn new "miracles" or spells?

That's all for know. If I remember anything else, I'll ask you guys again.

Regarding the game, I like it a lot. It's hard, but not in some unfair punishing manner, like some corridor shooters are. I don't really feel punished when I die, because I always die from my mistakes. It's really not timing or knowing perfectly when to use a weapon, when to deflect attacks etc., being careful awards you greatly. It's rare to see a game use this approach and I believe it's a right one for this kind of a RPG.

Lagspike_exe said:
All right, I got the game and I need some questions answered desperately.

2) Where can I find better armor?

You likely won't be finding better armor anytime soon

3) I have cleared the first level (it's called "something Palace"). I have talked with one of the Monumentals and unlocked the rest of the realms. When I choose level #2 in the realm with the palace I cleared, it transports me back to the Palace although to another location (near the Phalanx boss I defeated previously). Why is that? Did I miss something or is this the starting place of level #2?

You are in the correct place. It is referred to as level 1-2.

4) I have attempted to access another realms, I believe it's called Stone somthing. A begger is the entrance dealing merchandise. I do not know how to advance here. There are 2 paths. One leads to bridge that's destroyed and the other takes me to a sort of elevator I cannot access.

See the bridge where the guys are throwing rocks? You can get through there. That is the way to go.

5) What is Pure White Tendency/Pure Black Tendency?

This require a LOT of explanation. I wouldn't worry about it right now. One note: If you die in body form in a given world (boletarian palace, stonefang, etc.) you will shift toward black fro that world, which makes it harder. Thus, some people recommend just suiciding in the Nexus in body form.

6) How do I replenish my mana? How do I learn new "miracles" or spells?

You need either an item (spice) to replenish it or a weapon/shield that does so for you. You can get the Crescent Falchion +1 in the beginning of World 4 behind the black phantom skeleton, but it is difficult. You can also get a Fragrant Ring, but I forget where that is.

That's all for know. If I remember anything else, I'll ask you guys again.

Regarding the game, I like it a lot. It's hard, but not in some unfair punishing manner, like some corridor shooters are. I don't really feel punished when I die, because I always die from my mistakes. It's really not timing or knowing perfectly when to use a weapon, when to deflect attacks etc., being careful awards you greatly. It's rare to see a game use this approach and I believe it's a right one for this kind of a RPG.

Edit: Also, you can look things up in the wiki, but beware as it might spoil some of the game for you.

What's the point in destroying the bookshelves, barrels and other objects in the world? I didn't observe anything dropping from them. Is this because my Luck is low?

fallagin

Lagspike_exe said:
What's the point in destroying the bookshelves, barrels and other objects in the world? I didn't observe anything dropping from them. Is this because my Luck is low?

Theyre mostly just for decoration, things don't actually drop out of them(afaik) but sometimes there are items hidden behind them. These items are one time pickups so you dont need to cut up those objects after you get the item. of course there can also be hidden paths hidden behind them as well sometimes.

oracrest

Lagspike_exe said:

In certain situations, these destructible object may provide a strategic advantage when facing enemies. Many of them are used to Hide pick-ups, even though the objects themselves don't actually drop the item.

EDIT: or just read the post above mine, haha. ;P

Hahaq8

where is Project Dark ? the official site said "More information available in early 2011" and we are now in early 2011 -_- cant wait

User 406

Banned
Finished Boletaria, so the Old One is all that's left. Half considering skipping all the cleanup and just going to NG+, since I already have the best equipment a SL 1 character can use. (Well, except I didn't get a pure moonlightstone. :/ ) First I'll try to be summoned by the Old Monk, see if I can get that wrap though.

Oracrest, you said you used a lot of arrows on the blue dragon, why not magic? About eight bottles of fresh spice and soul ray do him in pretty easily.

Zzoram

Man said:
Scamco is also the worldwide publisher next go around...

That's a big concern of mine. Atlus has done a wonderful job constantly extending the time they keep the servers up and doing those cool world tendency events. Scamco will likely do no such thing and want to charge us for on-disc DLC.

oracrest

Sea Manky said:
Oracrest, you said you used a lot of arrows on the blue dragon, why not magic? About eight bottles of fresh spice and soul ray do him in pretty easily.

My level 1 playthrough is restricted to melee combat only. I only used soul ray once, to kill Vanguard in the tutorial level.

Zzoram

Lagspike_exe said:

Enemies hide behind them, one time pickup items are hidden behind them, secret paths are hidden behind them.

Other times they are there to obstruct your movement so an enemy can ambush you.

The only things that drop items are enemies, not destructible environment. Don't ever put points in Luck, it's terrible.

Hahaq8 said:
where is Project Dark ? the official site said "More information available in early 2011" and we are now in early 2011 -_- cant wait

I don't know but I've very worried about Scamco publishing the NA version. They have a long history of charging for on-disc DLC.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
My game was shipped today, whohoo!
One more advice I'm seeking: can you suggest a class character for my first playthrough, one that is fun to play and not fiercely hard since I have a limited time to play games and I won't be able to often look at guides online, or looking up where to find some particular items and whatnot.
Don't want to give the wrong impression tho, I know you need real commitment to play DS, that it is hard but all fair game (no cheap deaths and such), so I'm going in knowing that :)
I just don't want to start with the hardest path all of the sudden.

Zzoram

So firestorm with talisman of the beast 40mag/30fat does 700+ dmg and 1-hits the dual katana black skeleton in the secret passage beside the first reaper in 4-2. Is that the one to farm for pure bladestone? Is firestorm safer to use than soulsuck? I tried to approach with hidden soul and graverobber ring but he still came at me before I could get close enough to soulsuck.

Zzoram said:
So firestorm with talisman of the beast 40mag/30fat does 700+ dmg and 1-hits the dual katana black skeleton in the secret passage beside the first reaper in 4-2. Is that the one to farm for pure bladestone? Is firestorm safer to use than soulsuck? I tried to approach with hidden soul and graverobber ring but he still came at me before I could get close enough to soulsuck.

That's the one I got my pure bladestone from. I don't have firestorm yet, but if I recall correctly, my magic is at 30 and I could kill him with two fireballs provided that I had the Kris Blade in my opposite hand. I could also kill the reaper in two as well, so I would usually run into the level, kill the skeleton, then the reaper with the avarice ring equipped. Good farming spot for NG.

Zzoram said:

I think the BP black skeleton just before the third reaper is the best one to go for since the chance of getting a pure bladestone from him are meant to be a little higher. You can go backwards from the Old Hero archstone and sneak up to soulsuck him from behind.

Zzoram

electroshockwave said:
I think the BP black skeleton just before the third reaper is the best one to go for since the chance of getting a pure bladestone from him are meant to be a little higher. You can go backwards from the Old Hero archstone and sneak up to soulsuck him from behind.

I don't remember where that is. Is it dangerous to start from the 4-3 stone and backtrack? I do the 4-2 start, snipe the first reaper with arrows, then go to the secret passage and firestorm. It's relatively safe.

Zzoram said:
I don't remember where that is. Is it dangerous to start from the 4-3 stone and backtrack? I do the 4-2 start, snipe the first reaper with arrows, then go to the secret passage and firestorm. It's relatively safe.

It's not really dangerous. You can just run through the room with the slugs and exploding white orbs and the the reaper isn't much of a threat. I think this video shows a good method: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_FQ07jbMfo

Reave

Just bought a PS3, and this is one of the few times I'm letting NeoGAF recommendations fuel me to try a game. I have no idea what I'm getting myself into, I'll bet.

Zzoram said:
Interesting. I'll do this. Was he using graverobber's ring or hidden soul for the BP skeleton to not turn around?

I think so. I can see the status effect symbol but I'm not sure which ring it might be. I think I did manage to sneak up on him without either ring equipped but I was in soul form with light armour and walked really slowly.

User 406

Banned
Damn, after a few hours of trying to invade as the Old Monk, I was about to give up but then I got summoned. However, he had a blue phantom with him and they were both loaded for bear. Oh well, at least I now know it's possible to invade as a soul level 1 character. :p

Zzoram

Sea Manky said:
Damn, after a few hours of trying to invade as the Old Monk, I was about to give up but then I got summoned. However, he had a blue phantom with him and they were both loaded for bear. Oh well, at least I now know it's possible to invade as a soul level 1 character. :p

Considering that you're level 1, it's probably ok for you to use Scraping Spear as Old Monk if you're always facing lvl 11 people.

Zzoram

Sea Manky said:
Stats aren't high enough to wield it anyway. :p

not even two handed? what happens with melee weapons that are cracked? because you wouldn't be using the Scraping Spear for damage, just the effect, then switch to a fast hitting weapon to take advantage

Rawk Hawk

This kept happening to me last night, a friend and me were trying to group together in 3-1, but as soon as I put down my blue sign I was getting the cutscene from the old monk and was a black phantom. Not sure why it happened, but it was kind of annoying while we were trying to do something else.

Canova

Banned
Rawk Hawk said:
This kept happening to me last night, a friend and me were trying to group together in 3-1, but as soon as I put down my blue sign I was getting the cutscene from the old monk and was a black phantom. Not sure why it happened, but it was kind of annoying while we were trying to do something else.

it's very hard to co-op in world 3. have you beaten world 3? I don't wanns spoil it for you

The evil old-monk kept summoning you to fight for him against other player

Rawk Hawk

I haven't beaten any of world three, so didn't check your spoiler. I've only beat the bosses in 1-1, 1-2 and 2-1. Was a blue phantom during the 4-1 fight twice, that seems pretty easy, might do that one next.

Easier to group up in the other levels I take it though?

Although we did get grouped once, and a black phantom showed up. I got into a cell and my friend stood at the end of the hall, as the guy ran by I popped out and mauled him. Greatest Demon's Souls moment for me so far, haha.

Canova

Banned
Rawk Hawk said:
I haven't beaten any of world three, so didn't check your spoiler. I've only beat the bosses in 1-1, 1-2 and 2-1. Was a blue phantom during the 4-1 fight twice, that seems pretty easy, might do that one next.

Easier to group up in the other levels I take it though?

I see, so in time you will figure out what's happening in world 3

upgrade your weapons with the material you got from 2-1. level 4-1 is also good for leveling, but it's a bit difficult for beginner

Rawk Hawk

canova said:
I see, so in time you will figure out what's happening in world 3

upgrade your weapons with the material you got from 2-1. level 4-1 is also good for leveling, but it's a bit difficult for beginner
I like 4-1 so far, I can fairly quickly dispatch 6-7 skeletons and evacuate back to the Nexus with like 2500 souls lol. Right now that's my best farming spot (to the point that I think I have like 50 bladestones already). I know my way around the level a little from being the blue phantom, just wish that dual katana samurai would drop chunks of bladestone so I could keep upgrading my uchi.

Zzoram

Rawk Hawk said:
I like 4-1 so far, I can fairly quickly dispatch 6-7 skeletons and evacuate back to the Nexus with like 2500 souls lol. Right now that's my best farming spot (to the point that I think I have like 50 bladestones already). I know my way around the level a little from being the blue phantom, just wish that dual katana samurai would drop chunks of bladestone so I could keep upgrading my uchi.
4-2 is even better for farming but you need to be stronger or have a good bow. There is a Reaper really near the start of the level worth 4000 souls. Once you find the ring of avarice (+20% souls) it's an excellent farming level until you're level 80+. I got to 100 off 4-2 in NG. In NG+ I've used 4-2 to hit 128 and will probably keep going to 140.

Rawk Hawk

Zzoram said:
4-2 is even better for farming but you need to be stronger or have a good bow. There is a Reaper really near the start of the level worth 4000 souls. Once you find the ring of avarice (+20% souls) it's an excellent farming level until you're level 80+. I got to 100 off 4-2 in NG. In NG+ I've used 4-2 to hit 128 and will probably keep going to 140.
Awesome, well 4-1 is my next task then so I can get to this. I currently use a Compond Long Bow +3, I don't have enough spiderstones to take that route yet (which from what I've read is the best bow to make). Hopefully that will be good enough?

Zzoram said:
Getting really good at 4-3 also nets great souls. You have to use the ronin ring and the storm sword. A lot harder in NG+ but a NG+ soul suck BP black skeleton is 100k souls from one bad guy.

ALSO HOLY awesome at the darksouls info thread. looks so good.

Krauser Kat said:
Getting really good at 4-3 also nets great souls. You have to use the ronin ring and the storm sword. A lot harder in NG+ but a NG+ soul suck BP black skeleton is 100k souls from one bad guy.

ALSO HOLY awesome at the darksouls info thread. looks so good.
I did the same thing at 4-3, just instead of the Storm Sword, I used the Ring of Magical Sharpness and Soul Ray. One hit kill, sometimes multi-kills, and it releases you from the animation much quicker, so you can make a split second dodge if you need to.

panda21

aghhh i thought i had shaken the DS addiction but all this talk of dark souls makes me want to go back in

last thing i did was finish 4-1 but mainly with the help of an invading player who just slayed everything for me right up to the boss. i've done as far as I can get in 1 (i cant get past the gate after the giant knight boss yet), got up to the flame lurker level in 2 (f that s), and did 3-1 in intense fear.

what would be a good world to try next? (bearing in mind the skeletons in 4-1 were giving me trouble at my current level). i really don't want to go back to 2-2

Zzoram

panda21 said:
aghhh i thought i had shaken the DS addiction but all this talk of dark souls makes me want to go back in

last thing i did was finish 4-1 but mainly with the help of an invading player who just slayed everything for me right up to the boss. i've done as far as I can get in 1 (i cant get past the gate after the giant knight boss yet), got up to the flame lurker level in 2 (f that s), and did 3-1 in intense fear.

what would be a good world to try next? (bearing in mind the skeletons in 4-1 were giving me trouble at my current level). i really don't want to go back to 2-2
Many people co-op 2-2 so often there are blue stones by the boss fog gate. The best way to play flamelurker is purple flame shield (1-1 at dragon roost) and either soul arrow or soul ray. Get lots of fresh spice and grass, and only shoot when flamelurker is stuck in an attack animation you're out of range of. Otherwise keep your shield up. Don't wear heavy armor, fast stamina regeneration is more important for blocking and dodging. Remember to let your shield down to regenerate stamina faster when it's safe. You can pick away at him until he dies, learning his attack patterns after a few tries.

Um youve done all the easy levels so you'll have to man up and beat one of whatever is left. You can farm 4-1 to gain a few levels if you need them. 3-2 is probably harder than 2-2 lol. So I guess do 4-1 or 5-1.

Zzoram

LOL.

Pure black world tendency. I killed the secret passage black dual katana skeleton 5 times and I got a pure bladestone.

oracrest

The wiki wasn't clear, so maybe someone can clear this up.

In 5-2, does the filthy woman sell you 1 stone of ephemeral eyes per visit from the Nexus, or do you have to actually die in body form for her to sell another one?

I'm basically trying to figure out a way to stockpile a few at a time.

Zzoram

oracrest said:
The wiki wasn't clear, so maybe someone can clear this up.

In 5-2, does the filthy woman sell you 1 stone of ephemeral eyes per visit from the Nexus, or do you have to actually die in body form for her to sell another one?

I'm basically trying to figure out a way to stockpile a few at a time.
You can just shift 5-2 black and farm giant depraved ones for them

Rawk Hawk

I'm just a little curious for those who have played through Demon's Souls a couple times, does everyone generally stop putting points in their Soul Level? I saw a general dex build (as that's when I'm planning on aiming for) that someone even commented that it was probably a few soul levels too high (build had it set up for SL125 and the comment suggested taking a 5 points of vitality to stay at SL120). Just curious if players tend to hit the important stats and then spend souls elsewhere or if maybe it's not even good to get to soul level 300?

Just seemed interesting, that persons comment in general, I was under the idea the builds were a guildine, but you would continue building on it until your stats were eventually all maxed (which is obviously near impossible).

Just curious what our veteran players do, do you guys keep pumping stats up or hit the desired number and then just stop?

Zzoram said:
LOL.

Pure black world tendency. I killed the secret passage black dual katana skeleton 5 times and I got a pure bladestone.

I totally envy you. I spent so much time trying to get the pure bladestone, it actually ruined my ng+ playthrough and I stopped playing the game and got rid of it. I never got a single one on pure black from the skeleton in the hidden passage. :(

Rawk Hawk said:
I'm just a little curious for those who have played through Demon's Souls a couple times, does everyone generally stop putting points in their Soul Level? I saw a general dex build (as that's when I'm planning on aiming for) that someone even commented that it was probably a few soul levels too high (build had it set up for SL125 and the comment suggested taking a 5 points of vitality to stay at SL120). Just curious if players tend to hit the important stats and then spend souls elsewhere or if maybe it's not even good to get to soul level 300?

Just seemed interesting, that persons comment in general, I was under the idea the builds were a guildine, but you would continue building on it until your stats were eventually all maxed (which is obviously near impossible).

Just curious what our veteran players do, do you guys keep pumping stats up or hit the desired number and then just stop?

When they were saying it was too high they were talking about pvp. Most people who play pvp seem to be in the 100-120 level range and if you go higher than that the amount of similar level players tapers off. If you're not interested in pvp with your current character or are just playing through the game you don't really need to be concerned about that and can level up as much as you want. Also, if you look in the pantheon (it's kind of like a leaderboard room) at the top of the nexus you can see that there do seem to be a few players with maxed out stats.

Top Bottom