• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Rawk Hawk

electroshockwave said:
When they were saying it was too high they were talking about pvp. Most people who play pvp seem to be in the 100-120 level range and if you go higher than that the amount of similar level players tapers off. If you're not interested in pvp with your current character or are just playing through the game you don't really need to be concerned about that and can level up as much as you want. Also, if you look in the pantheon (it's kind of like a leaderboard room) at the top of the nexus you can see that there do seem to be a few players with maxed out stats.
Interesting, well that makes sense then if that's the average PvP level range, wouldn't be too much fun to PvP when everyone had 99 in all stats. Thanks.

Zzoram

Rawk Hawk said:
Interesting, well that makes sense then if that's the average PvP level range, wouldn't be too much fun to PvP when everyone had 99 in all stats. Thanks.
Keeping the PvP level at 120 also means it's faster to roll to characters.

Canova

Banned
LeCapitan said:
I don't know if anyone would be interested, but I am recording my playthrough and uploading it on youtube.

If you'd be interested and I can post my youtube channel here without getting in trouble for self promotion I'd be happy to share.

yeah just post it up here, someone will definitely watch them

Zzoram

LOL second pure bladestone today. I was trying to get my 12th chunk to finish my sharp uchi. I got 2 pures and 9 chunks today.

oracrest

-All melee (no spells)
-no blue phantom help
-All bosses defeated
-Killed Mephistopheles

I finally killed King Allant, and was able to lull the old one back to......

It was a fun playthrough. In the end:

44 hour playtime
First female character (interesting unique armor sets)

Chain Helmet
Gloom Armor
Gloom leggings
Gloom Gauntlets

Ring of Giant Strength
Thief's Ring

Scimitar +10
Buckler +8
Short Bow +8

achievement unlocked:
sharpstone weapon

Here's a visual recap of my character throughout:

8f57e5a7.jpg

4bd012a2.jpg

IMG_0360.jpg

IMG_0404.jpg

f97a6761.jpg

789b05a0.jpg

a3ef643f.jpg

8f93aaef.jpg

there were many aspects about this playthrough that were interesting and unique

1. All souls are essentially only for consumables and weapon repairs
2. Never invaded by a black phantom......Ever.
3. Only a limited supply of weapons and armors are possible to wield.
4. Forced me to use more strategic ring combos.

Challenge met, Canova....

User 406

Banned
Nice one, Oracrest! I'm still dithering around trying to get that monk's head wrap before beating the Old One, so far I've only managed to get two summons out of hours of trying. :( If I can get it, I'll try tackling NG+ at level 1.

I just wish the black eye stone didn't timeout after a minute.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Are there still people online ? How often do you encounter invaders? I remember the game was on fire on the first two months of release.

Zzoram

Yurt said:
Are there still people online ? How often do you encounter invaders? I remember the game was on fire on the first two months of release.
The game is still active, invaders still come in the midrange levels of 30-100 if you dare play in body form for long enough. I was summoned by old monk twice within 5 minutes of placing my stones when I was SL110 or so.

It's not as active as launch but many people from then are still playing now or restarted playing due to Dark Souls hype.

So, what's the best way to (finally) get my hands on a EU copy of the game?
Can I just go to Amazon.co.uk and click and buy what with the different currency?
I don't trust Ebay enough to get me the correct copy, I've seen so many region mislabels there.

Canova

Banned
oracrest said:
-All melee (no spells)
-no blue phantom help
-All bosses defeated
-Killed Mephistopheles

It was a fun playthrough. In the end:

44 hour playtime
First female character (interesting unique armor sets)

Chain Helmet
Gloom Armor
Gloom leggings
Gloom Gauntlets

Ring of Giant Strength
Thief's Ring

Scimitar +10
Buckler +8
Short Bow +8

achievement unlocked:
sharpstone weapon

Here's a visual recap of my character throughout:

I like the angles where you take your pics, sometimes it takes me a while to figure out where you take them from

Rawk Hawk

Yurt said:
I am SL43 right now, this morning before work I thought I'd pop on 4-1 and grab some souls since I beat 3-1 last night and wanted to upgrade some weapons. I killed the first skeleton and was invaded by someone who has 91% of the trophies in the game. He scraping speared my armor and weapons to break and then toyed around for like 20 minutes and then killed me.

Then even sent me a PSN message about how great he was.

Needless to say, it's still active online, lol. Think before I start up levels in body form again, I need a plan as to how to take out these guys, I wasn't equiped or ready for anything, course being early AM I didn't think anyone was on lol.

This game is so skill based it's like a fighter.

Trying to fight someone when latency is involved is basically impossible, I've been killed by more ghost backstabs and swords twice as long as they should be then I can count.

Hopefully they address that in the new game.

Tylahedras said:
This game is so skill based it's like a fighter.

Trying to fight someone when latency is involved is basically impossible, I've been killed by more ghost backstabs and swords twice as long as they should be then I can count.

Hopefully they address that in the new game.

Yeah, better netcode is definitely one of the highest things on my wishlist for Dark Souls. I think the problem may have been exacerbated for me since I'm from the UK and have the Atlus version but videos like this show how messed up it still looks from the backstabbers perspective too.

coldvein

Banned
quick question: maybe 8-10 hours in here, and i've built up all sortsa stones.. spiderstone cloudstone mercurystone dragonstone..like a bunch of them, and can't find a use for them. am i completely missing something right now or do they come into play later?

Zzoram

coldvein said:
quick question: maybe 8-10 hours in here, and i've built up all sortsa stones.. spiderstone cloudstone mercurystone dragonstone..like a bunch of them, and can't find a use for them. am i completely missing something right now or do they come into play later?
Some of the upgrades only Ed the blacksmith can do. He's in 2-1 once you unlock the elevator in the shack at the start. The Nexus blacksmith can only do sharpstone an hardstone upgrades.

coldvein

Banned
Zzoram said:
Some of the upgrades only Ed the blacksmith can do. He's in 2-1 once you unlock the elevator in the shack at the start. The Nexus blacksmith can only do sharpstone an hardstone upgrades.

thank you kind sir.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
oracrest said:
-All melee (no spells)
-no blue phantom help
-All bosses defeated
-Killed Mephistopheles

Congratulations Oracrest.

Do you get anything special for beating the game at level 1? (and refusing to take soul power from the maiden in black)

oracrest

LeCapitan said:
Congratulations Oracrest.

Do you get anything special for beating the game at level 1? (and refusing to take soul power from the maiden in black)

The only thing I got was to be able to say I did it, and perhaps a deeper understanding of most of the enemies attack patterns.

Also, I got soul sucked from King Allant, but it didn't suck any soul! :p I was half expecting a game crash when it happened, heh.

Zzoram

canova said:
yes if you want to beat them fair and square

fireball worked well by letting me keep my distance, ~800dmg a fireball with monks head wrap + kris +5 + ring of magical sharpness + talisman of the beast (42mag 34fat) and they died pretty fast. got hit a few times but my cling ring + second chance saved me, it's good that flying away gives me much needed recasting second chance + eating old spice + eating full moon grass time

I'm not sure how much damage firestorm did but I did manage to make contact with it, not sure how many pillars hit though

the fire brazier blocking pounces was a life saver too

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
My copy finally arrived and I've sunk in some time. Not sure what to think about it yet.

I like pretty much everything about the game so far. I dig the feel of the combat for most part even though I'm still learning it. I like how difficult it is. The atmosphere and art are crazy good. The game seems to have a lot of identity.

But I dont know how long I can stick with the difficulty before throwing it in, which is unlike me. I really, really love hard games, but I'm getting too much of an impression that Demon's Souls is all about trial and error. It's one thing to die over and over knowing that the only thing standing between you and success is you're own skill level, but its another to have deaths caused by cheap placement of enemies and explosions.

I love stuff like Super Meat Boy as I know every failure is my own. Trial and error gameplay, however, where you are forced to die because of one cheaply placed explosive, does nothing for me. I really hate that style of game design and find absolutely nothing rewarding about overcoming it.

I'll stick with it because something about the game really intrigues me. I dont mind dying over and over from super powerful enemies. That I'm fine with. But if the game throws stupid cheap shit at me I dont know if I'll bother sticking around.

ZeroRay

The game gets easier the more you play.

I can count with both hands how many times I died after NG+.

Also, take things slow and be patient. Don't rush into things.

Aurelius

I stopped playing 3 months ago. Put about 50 hours in a melee character (knight). But mucked around a bit too much. Killed some NPC by accident, upgraded some weapons I didn’t really need, grinded too much, etc. As a result, the game became too much of a chore.

I restarted yesterday with a female Royal. And this time, since I understand the mechanics more, I have planned in advance what I want to achieve. What stats too upgrade and what weapons to specialize in.

As a result, I am really rediscovering and enjoying the game again.

Zzoram

Aurelius said:
I stopped playing 3 months ago. Put about 50 hours in a melee character (knight). But mucked around a bit too much. Killed some NPC by accident, upgraded some weapons I didn’t really need, grinded too much, etc. As a result, the game became too much of a chore.

I restarted yesterday with a female Royal. And this time, since I understand the mechanics more, I have planned in advance what I want to achieve. What stats too upgrade and what weapons to specialize in.

As a result, I am really rediscovering and enjoying the game again.
Ya this game reminded me a lot of Diablo 2 in that way. Your first character can be an experimental throwaway and you do much better with a planned build the next time.

As in all RPGs, you do best focusing on only 3 stats with particular equipment in mind.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Zeliard said:
Where is it you keep dying at EC? What stage?

NEVERMIND

GAME CLICKED

ITS AWESOME

Zzoram

EatChildren said:
My copy finally arrived and I've sunk in some time. Not sure what to think about it yet.

I like pretty much everything about the game so far. I dig the feel of the combat for most part even though I'm still learning it. I like how difficult it is. The atmosphere and art are crazy good. The game seems to have a lot of identity.

But I dont know how long I can stick with the difficulty before throwing it in, which is unlike me. I really, really love hard games, but I'm getting too much of an impression that Demon's Souls is all about trial and error. It's one thing to die over and over knowing that the only thing standing between you and success is you're own skill level, but its another to have deaths caused by cheap placement of enemies and explosions.

I love stuff like Super Meat Boy as I know every failure is my own. Trial and error gameplay, however, where you are forced to die because of one cheaply placed explosive, does nothing for me. I really hate that style of game design and find absolutely nothing rewarding about overcoming it.

I'll stick with it because something about the game really intrigues me. I dont mind dying over and over from super powerful enemies. That I'm fine with. But if the game throws stupid cheap shit at me I dont know if I'll bother sticking around.
I don't think anything is particularly cheaply placed. What do you want, all enemies to be out in the open and for you to always see them before they can see you?

Not raising your shield when turning a corner is your own fault for being impatient and not careful. As for exploding barrels, if you observed carefully you'd notice they only explode when hit by fire. You can use arrows or whatever to break them at a safe distance, or bait an enemy into attacking with a fire weapon or spell then roll dodge back to avoid the blast. When the coast is clear you can break the remaining ones with melee attacks as long as your weapon isn't on fire.

heringer

Can you pick this game and play for like 1~2 hours or is it one of those games that you need to play quite a few hours at a time?

Zzoram

heringer said:
Can you pick this game and play for like 1~2 hours or is it one of those games that you need to play quite a few hours at a time?
I often play for 30mins to 1 hour. The story is thin and I ignored all of it. Only story games heavy in dialogue are hard to pickup and play for short bursts.

The thing to note is how you should measure progress. If you play for 1 hour and don't beat a level, you still progressed. You may have unlocked a shortcut that stays open to speed up future runs of the level. You will also have learned the layout of the level so you can get a little further next time. Thats progress. Once you unlock all the shortcuts, you can reach the boss of most levels in about 5 minutes when you die and need to try again.

heringer

Zzoram said:
I often play for 30mins to 1 hour. The story is thin and I ignored all of it. Only story games heavy in dialogue are hard to pickup and play for short bursts.

The thing to note is how you should measure progress. If you play for 1 hour and don't beat a level, you still progressed. You may have unlocked a shortcut that stays open to speed up future runs of the level. You will also have learned the layout of the level so you can get a little further next time. Thats progress. Once you unlock all the shortcuts, you can reach the boss of most levels in about 5 minutes when you die and need to try again.
That's very good to know. Thanks! :)

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Anyone have any tips for a stealthy thief build? my only time beating the game was with a really nice dex build, so I imagine this wont be too different. Less health, more stealth pretty much right?

Anyway, I haven't played this game in a long time, so any advice having to do with building the character/weapon/armor/spells/ways I can f myself over early on would be appreciated.

FootNinja said:
Anyone have any tips for a stealthy thief build? my only time beating the game was with a really nice dex build, so I imagine this wont be too different. Less health, more stealth pretty much right?

Anyway, I haven't played this game in a long time, so any advice having to do with building the character/weapon/armor/spells/ways I can f myself over early on would be appreciated.

My thief is a focus on quick movements and quick weapons. Things like daggers, katanas, long bows. My thief uses mainly the original thief armor, sometimes swapping out the sage pants, and almost always the Venerable Sage Hood. Rings like thiefs ring (detection), cats ring (fall damage nullify) and masters ring (sweet spot damage), as well as graverobbers ring (harder to detect by black phantoms). Endurance is a key state, as well as Dex and Vit because of the lack of armor. Let me know how it goes! The community wiki may also have some good build suggestions.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I am getting the shit kicked out of me by BP Selen Vinland and it is greatly pissing me off. I tried following faqs and youtube vids to no avail. I'm rather weak, only about soul level 90 and am a mediocre melee fighter. I've killed the rest of the Named NPC BPs, she's the last one left (also have finished all levels except 1-4). How do I beat this bitch?

Do you have grave robbers ring? Try to get behind her, then give her a good backstab. Now her first default action is to cast Anti-Magic Field. Since you're melee it doesn't hurt you, but try to get in a few swings to interrupt it. Don't use shields, so 2hand your strongest damaging weapon. She can heal indefinitely if you allow her. Infinite mana, so you have to stay on her. I use a dbs +5 mainly for it's knockback to send her to the wall. I recommend to use a slow strong weapon, or a faster one to chain stunlock her if possible.

ezekial45

Banned
If i'm not mistaken, wasn't there this big rumor about a new area opening up through DLC? Valley of the Giants, or something. The 5th stone, which was crumbled, would've restored and opened up a new area.

Or was this just fan made BS.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
ZeroRay said:
The game gets easier the more you play.

I can count with both hands how many times I died after NG+.

Also, take things slow and be patient. Don't rush into things.

Well if you overgrinded like I did in first play, the game gets REALLY easy, almost to the point that it takes the fun out of it.

The only times I really die now (SL117 NG) is in BP battles.

Zozobra

The Dark Souls trailer has made me want to run through this game again. I've lost my Warrior and Red-Mage-type character saves, so I wanted to try something new. What's another build that's worth trying out?

elohel

Zozobra said:
The Dark Souls trailer has made me want to run through this game again. I've lost my Warrior and Red-Mage-type character saves, so I wanted to try something new. What's another build that's worth trying out?

knight

oracrest

Cloudius12 said:
anyone who finished DS and would like to read a good compendium of the history and such on DS. Its a good read.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/25033493/Demon-s-Souls-Lore-Compendium

:(

World 6:
The Northern Lands were once home to the race of mighty giants. They lived in relativepeace with the rest of Boletaria, until the thick, colorless fog swept in and blanketed their domain.The Northern Lands were the first to succumb to the spread of Demons, and in an effort tocontain the madness, Boletaria sent hundreds of thousands of its finest knights to the greatkingdom to fend off the threat. The effort was for naught, and the Archstone connecting to thisland was later destroyed as a last-ditch attempt to contain the chaos. It did not succeed.

Zzoram

A good challenge build is a no vitality build. It's not as hard as a lvl 1 playthrough but always dying in 1 hit to stuff means even if you can equip better weapons you are still fragile.

ezekial45 said:
If i'm not mistaken, wasn't there this big rumor about a new area opening up through DLC? Valley of the Giants, or something. The 5th stone, which was crumbled, would've restored and opened up a new area.

Or was this just fan made BS.

We always speculated and hoped that we'd get some sort of closure regarding that. But at this point it's just backstory and will probably stay that way. For a long time people would stand by the sixth, broken archstone and place messages such as "Someday..." We will probably never get to experience it :(

Man, what I would do for the sixth archstone to open up!

oracrest

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
We always speculated and hoped that we'd get some sort of closure regarding that. But at this point it's just backstory and will probably stay that way. For a long time people would stand by the sixth, broken archstone and place messages such as "Someday..." We will probably never get to experience it :(

Man, what I would do for the sixth archstone to open up!

Yeah, with any luck, maybe they'll release images of the content they did do before deciding not to make it.

I imagine they had done some work on it.

Zzoram

Wow I suck. I beat Maneater and Flamelurker in NG+ but can't beat AI Old Monk. It's because unlike the other bosses, he constantly rushes you so you can't easily eat grass and spice.

Top Bottom