• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Zzoram

I would help but I'm SL 156 now and probably out of summon range. I went on a grinding spree when I realized Ring of Avarice + Soul Thirst = 25,000 souls for Reaper in 4-2 when pure black world tendency.

I'm probably going to grind more too. I'm at

40 vit
40 int
30 end
22 str
18 dex
42 mag
36 fat
8 luck

im probably going to get 50mag with more grinding spread out between boss kills

cj_iwakura

Already done, but thanks a million anyway.

Great assistance, zero. Make sure you keep me on the list for Dark Souls' launch. :)

Still gotta do Astrea and 3-2(ech). Not sure if I should do NG+++ or a new character(finally).

cj_iwakura

Yep, NG++ is nasty. I made it to the boss once, but I couldn't do enough damage from a distance, and no way was I getting in close solo.

So many secrets in 5-2 I never saw. That area terrifies me. I just try to rush out of there.

Thanks to Bellenaar I finally got my plat trophy earlier this week.

Demons is not only the best game I played this gen but in my best games of all time list.

If anyone needs help then let me know.

Soul level 145 on US server.

PSN- stack_

Zzoram

NG Game difficulty has no modifier. + 0%
NG+ Increased difficulty by approximate 40% compared to NG assumed your CT is neutral. + 40%
NG++ Increased difficulty by approximate 8% compared to NG+ assumed your CT is neutral. + 51.2 %
NG+++ Increased difficulty by approximate 8% compared to NG++ assumed your CT is neutral. + 63.3 %
NG(4+) Increased difficulty by approximate 8% compared to NG+++ assumed your CT is neutral. + 76.4 %
NG(5+) Increased difficulty by approximate 8% compared to NG(4+) assumed your CT is neutral. + 90.5 %
NG(6+) Increased difficulty by approximate 8% compared to NG(5+) assumed your CT is neutral. + 105.7 %
NG(7+) Increased difficulty by approximate 8% compared to NG(6+) assumed your CT is neutral. + 122.2 %

* From the 8th playthrough and onwards, the difficulty will not increase further.

Has anyone ever made it to the 8th playthrough and onwards?

Zzoram said:
NG Game difficulty has no modifier. + 0%
NG+ Increased difficulty by approximate 40% compared to NG assumed your CT is neutral. + 40%
NG++ Increased difficulty by approximate 8% compared to NG+ assumed your CT is neutral. + 51.2 %
NG+++ Increased difficulty by approximate 8% compared to NG++ assumed your CT is neutral. + 63.3 %
NG(4+) Increased difficulty by approximate 8% compared to NG+++ assumed your CT is neutral. + 76.4 %
NG(5+) Increased difficulty by approximate 8% compared to NG(4+) assumed your CT is neutral. + 90.5 %
NG(6+) Increased difficulty by approximate 8% compared to NG(5+) assumed your CT is neutral. + 105.7 %
NG(7+) Increased difficulty by approximate 8% compared to NG(6+) assumed your CT is neutral. + 122.2 %

* From the 8th playthrough and onwards, the difficulty will not increase further.

Ive done about eight or nine I believe. However I honestly never noticed a substantial increase.

Interesting stats. I didn't realize difficulty went that much up after NG+. How'd you configure those numbers. I'm just curious here. I think its all relative especially dependent on your stat allocation. Thank you for posting this info it was incredibly interesting!

Zzoram

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Ive done about eight or nine I believe. However I honestly never noticed a substantial increase.

Interesting stats. I didn't realize difficulty went that much up after NG+. How'd you configure those numbers. I'm just curious here. I think its all relative especially dependent on your stat allocation. Thank you for posting this info it was incredibly interesting!

It's on the wiki, but there isn't a quicklink to it, you have to search or go through Game Concepts.

Zzoram said:
It's on the wiki, but there isn't a quicklink to it, you have to search or go through Game Concepts.
Interesting. Thanks for the heads up. I wonder how this was determined. is it me or did each subsequent NG+ seem similar in difficulty? Now I'm intrigued. May have to jump in again!

User 406

Banned
Zzoram said:

I've got a SL 400 and change character that I've lost track of how many times she's been through the game, and I can attest to the difficulty leveling off after eight times.

Great, now I want to do a few runs through with her again. And here I just started a new tank build last night. I need to start keeping notes on what each character has or hasn't done in their current game. :p

oracrest

I am slowly going for platinum. What were other people's biggest headaches doing all trophies? I want to prepare myself. I am planning on offline game suicide into black tendency for the harder to farm items (I read a lot about bladestone?)

Zzoram

oracrest said:
I am slowly going for platinum. What were other people's biggest headaches doing all trophies? I want to prepare myself. I am planning on offline game suicide into black tendency for the harder to farm items (I read a lot about bladestone?)

I'm actually have a much harder time getting Shard/Chunk of Marrowstone than Pure Bladestone. I got all the Chunk/Pure Bladestone I needed in a single day. Supposedly I'm lucky. Getting Bladestone happens to coincide with farming souls, so it's less tedious due to serving two purposes at once.

The hardest trophy is probably the All Miracles and Spells one since you need to beat the game 3 times and be partially done a 4th to get them all due to some boss souls being required to buy 4 different spells/miracles.

oracrest said:
Greystone, Marrowstone, and Mercurystone were up there. It took me 4 hours to farm the first pure bladestone, 1 hour to farm the 2nd pure bladestone and 8 hours offline for the 3rd one. Your mileage may vary.

Right, so I'm starting this again as a Royal and have just got to the 1-1 boss. Only problem I'm having is why I can't use the Cling Ring? When I select it and press x the 'use item' option is greyed out for some reason.

thorin

coolcole93 said:
Right, so I'm starting this again as a Royal and have just got to the 1-1 boss. Only problem I'm having is why I can't use the Cling Ring? When I select it and press x the 'use item' option is greyed out for some reason.
You're on the wrong screen? Go to the equipment menu where you select armor / weapons. There's two slots to equip rings.

User 406

Banned
oracrest said:

I got lucky and had a pure bladestone in my first couple playthroughs, but that seems to be the big sticking point for a lot of people. Out of my eight characters so far I've gotten maybe three pure bladestones. I agree with Zzoram that marrowstone is a hard one to get, since you can only get shards and chunks from the blood bugs and mosquitos in the valley.

The foe/friend rings can be a bit of a pain, since it takes a full two playthroughs killing all the named BPs to get from PBCT to PWCT, but if you're going to maintain world tendencies at black, it should be fairly simple to slot it in.

Another rare drop that's a pain is the gargoyle crossbow.

My suggestion is to stay offline, and drop each world's tendency to black before starting them, then play through each one in one shot, killing the named BP and the primeval demon along the way, and at the end the world will be at PWWT, so you can pick up all the white tendency stuff after returning to the Nexus. Then use your SoEE's to suicide repeatedly in each world to bring them all back to black for gecko hunting and the next playthrough. Just make sure any time you make it back to the Nexus in human form to immediately go kill yourself in a world that you want to reduce, to save yourself a stone. There are enough SoEE's throughout the game to reduce every world from pure white to pure black on each playthrough. That's pretty much how I do it, to maximize my souls gained and get the best drops.

If you're starting fresh, first kill Phalanx, kill yourself in Boletaria, then go through each of the worlds in succession and clear the first areas up to but not including the first boss demon to build up enough SoEEs to bring down any world you want to start on down to PBWT. From there it's self sustaining, as you finish off one world you'll get more stones to reduce it and the others.

oracrest

Thanks Sea Manky,

I am going through a doing all the ones I can that don't need offline. I have all the special weapons except Istarelle. I am leve 133, could anybody join me and drop their Istraelle so I can get it towards a trophy

(I'll give it right back afterwards, I just need to to have had it in my inventory once.)

Zzoram

The only upgrade trophies I have left are Cloudstone and Marrowstone. I think Cloudstone should be easy to farm in 4-3. However, Marrowstone is the worst ever. It's got a horrible drop rate AND it's highly inconvenient to farm. Both methods possible require running like half way through a level to find the mosquitos that almost never drop them. All the other stones have easier methods of farming or you find a lot of them from pickups and don't need to farm if you're doing multiple playthroughs.

I have 3 Shards, 1 Chunk and 1 Pure Marrowstone. This is going to take forever. I don't think I've seen anything drop from Mosquitos in the last 10 runs I did, not even a Shard.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Yes. Nice isn't it. Well this time the new admins (the ones that took over from McCoy Pauley, myself and a few others) won't have a nice foundation to start from ;)

Why'd you stop being an admin? Why not join up again for Dark Souls?

Zzoram

Sea Manky said:
I got lucky and had a pure bladestone in my first couple playthroughs, but that seems to be the big sticking point for a lot of people. Out of my eight characters so far I've gotten maybe three pure bladestones. I agree with Zzoram that marrowstone is a hard one to get, since you can only get shards and chunks from the blood bugs and mosquitos in the valley.

The foe/friend rings can be a bit of a pain, since it takes a full two playthroughs killing all the named BPs to get from PBCT to PWCT, but if you're going to maintain world tendencies at black, it should be fairly simple to slot it in.

Another rare drop that's a pain is the gargoyle crossbow.

My suggestion is to stay offline, and drop each world's tendency to black before starting them, then play through each one in one shot, killing the named BP and the primeval demon along the way, and at the end the world will be at PWWT, so you can pick up all the white tendency stuff after returning to the Nexus. Then use your SoEE's to suicide repeatedly in each world to bring them all back to black for gecko hunting and the next playthrough. Just make sure any time you make it back to the Nexus in human form to immediately go kill yourself in a world that you want to reduce, to save yourself a stone. There are enough SoEE's throughout the game to reduce every world from pure white to pure black on each playthrough. That's pretty much how I do it, to maximize my souls gained and get the best drops.

If you're starting fresh, first kill Phalanx, kill yourself in Boletaria, then go through each of the worlds in succession and clear the first areas up to but not including the first boss demon to build up enough SoEEs to bring down any world you want to start on down to PBWT. From there it's self sustaining, as you finish off one world you'll get more stones to reduce it and the others.

Do we actually need that? The wiki doesn't mention it as a requirement for the unique weapons trophy.

oracrest

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Yes. Nice isn't it. Well this time the new admins (the ones that took over from McCoy Pauley, myself and a few others) won't have a nice foundation to start from ;)

Did you help make the Demon's Souls wiki?

oracrest said:
Thanks Sea Manky,

I am going through a doing all the ones I can that don't need offline. I have all the special weapons except Istarelle. I am leve 133, could anybody join me and drop their Istraelle so I can get it towards a trophy

(I'll give it right back afterwards, I just need to to have had it in my inventory once.)
I have an Istarelle on my 119.

oracrest said:
Did you help make the Demon's Souls wiki?
Well its a long strange story. To answer your question I helped compile and edit information on the original and I'm still a moderator. Thr new owner has done done some really good things with it, I'll say that (not to mention be allowed some real nice opportunities like compiling the EU strategy guide and now working officially with NamBan). He somehow managed to convince the wikidot admins to hand over the rights to it. Had things worked there course Pauley probably would have handed it over to one of the originals. That's neither here nor there and the new guy has done a lot. But anyway he offered to bring me onboard as a mod for dark souls wiki. anyway I apologize for cluttering up the thread with that nonsense!

Its a great wiki and has been a key asset to the community and I recognize that and embrace it. Its all about us fans really.

Lets hope the community continues to grow with this as a multiplatform title.

User 406

Banned
Zzoram said:
The only upgrade trophies I have left are Cloudstone and Marrowstone. I think Cloudstone should be easy to farm in 4-3. However, Marrowstone is the worst ever. It's got a horrible drop rate AND it's highly inconvenient to farm. Both methods possible require running like half way through a level to find the mosquitos that almost never drop them. All the other stones have easier methods of farming or you find a lot of them from pickups and don't need to farm if you're doing multiple playthroughs.

I have 3 Shards, 1 Chunk and 1 Pure Marrowstone. This is going to take forever. I don't think I've seen anything drop from Mosquitos in the last 10 runs I did, not even a Shard.

One way to make farming marrowstone slightly faster is to come in from the Dirty Colossus archstone, run back over the top of the shantytown and past the old woman, kill the five mosquitos near the primeval demon, and evacuate. With the Thief's Ring equipped you can pretty much run past all the enemies in the shantytown without combat. And of course, pure black world tendency and the Large Sword of Searching helps a lot. If you don't mind a little extra running, head the other way first and get the mosquitos on the ledge before heading for the swamp, but you have to lure them over the ledge first and that wastes some time. You could also go for the four mosquitos on the island past the slugs, but then you risk catching the attention of the giant depraved ones while you slog through the water. I think just going for the five is the most efficient method.

And I didn't realize the gargoyle crossbow wasn't required, I just assumed you needed one of everything. :X

Zzoram

Sea Manky said:
One way to make farming marrowstone slightly faster is to come in from the Dirty Colossus archstone, run back over the top of the shantytown and past the old woman, kill the five mosquitos near the primeval demon, and evacuate. With the Thief's Ring equipped you can pretty much run past all the enemies in the shantytown without combat. And of course, pure black world tendency and the Large Sword of Searching helps a lot. If you don't mind a little extra running, head the other way first and get the mosquitos on the ledge before heading for the swamp, but you have to lure them over the ledge first and that wastes some time. You could also go for the four mosquitos on the island past the slugs, but then you risk catching the attention of the giant depraved ones while you slog through the water. I think just going for the five is the most efficient method.

And I didn't realize the gargoyle crossbow wasn't required, I just assumed you needed one of everything. :X

That's what I've been doing, but not with PBWT. Maybe I'll set it to PBWT later. I don't have sword of searching yet

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
ZeroRay said:
Yup. Each region has their own dedicated servers set up by the publisher.

Will Namco support them for some time or they'll get cut by the same time Atlus servers shut down?

ZeroRay

subversus said:
Will Namco support them for some time or they'll get cut by the same time Atlus servers shut down?

Don't know how long Namco will keep them up. Atlus does a nice job of informing people but I haven't heard any announcements regarding Namco's commitment to the servers.

subversus

ZeroRay said:
Don't know how long Namco will keep them up. Atlus does a nice job of informing people but I haven't heard any announcements regarding Namco's commitment to the servers.

are they really that important to experience?

subversus said:

Namco may choose their own shutdown time since the game hasn't been out as long in EU. It's hard to say. Best thing to do is to take advantage of whatever time you can now just in case they do take it down.

ZeroRay

subversus said:
are they really that important to experience?

The game is still amazing and memorable without it, but the online component makes it truly unique. So get in there while you can.

subversus

I'm sort of low on money and have a lot of games to beat but Dark Souls look so good that I'm very tempted to jump in. Also this interview on PS blog was very nice. Hmmm....

subversus said:
I'm sort of low on money and have a lot of games to beat but Dark Souls look so good that I'm very tempted to jump in. Also this interview on PS blog was very nice. Hmmm....

Any way to rent? Is the game still expensive there? Here it's not even $25. I understand the money issue definitely. I hope you get the chance to play it. There's been plenty of times where I've played on my own offline. So it's not necessarily essential, but it's so damn good that I always suggest it where possible. Especially if you are stuck.

subversus

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Any way to rent? Is the game still expensive there? Here it's not even $25. I understand the money issue definitely. I hope you get the chance to play it. There's been plenty of times where I've played on my own offline. So it's not necessarily essential, but it's so damn good that I always suggest it where possible. Especially if you are stuck.

125$ for euro CE version which seems to be the only EU version available where I shop. I could ask other shops but most of them don't have a clue about which version they have. Asian and US versions are prevalent. I might get an Asian version if they still support online. It will cost me about 70 $ or so. And no, no renting here.

subversus said:
125$ for euro CE version which seems to be the only EU version available where I shop. I could ask other shops but most of them don't have a clue about which version they have. Asian and US versions are prevalent. I might get an Asian version if they still support online. It will cost me about 70 $ or so. And no, no renting here.

Ah, bummer, that's a hefty price tag for the CE version. If you do pick up the Asian version, let me know. A few of us (not sure how many anymore) still own the Asian version. God damn I will NEVER part from my Asian copy. The original. Waited days for it. I remember it fondly. I was lucky to get my copy sent in the first shipment NCSx had.

Good times indeed...

Top Bottom