• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
subversus said:
125$ for euro CE version which seems to be the only EU version available where I shop. I could ask other shops but most of them don't have a clue about which version they have. Asian and US versions are prevalent. I might get an Asian version if they still support online. It will cost me about 70 $ or so. And no, no renting here.
You could try buying it online, or importing UK version from shopto - CLICK. It's only £14.86 (that's almost $24 minus the shipping but I think would be around £5 or £10)

Danielsan

Posted this in the Dark Souls thread

Danielsan said:
Cracked open my Euro copy of Demon's Souls this week. Started a female character but wasn't quite happy with her appearance. Just made a new female Knight and I managed to make a pretty good looking character model.

8uPOo.jpg

I also beat the Vanguard in the tutorial for the first time (first time I really tried though). Easy as pie. :D

Not quite sure how to level up my Knight. Only played a Royal character in my Asian copy.
God I almost forgot how gorgeous this game is. Amazing scale and art direction. The wait for Dark Souls is unbearable.

Just beat Phalanx again. Anyone have any tips in terms of which stats to pour souls in. I'm thinking of going all weapons no magic. Biggest issue with my knight so far is that I can't really dodge. I beat the Vanguard by unequipping some gear. Would I be best of to get my endurance up first?

Canova

Banned
I can't make a good looking female. the more I tried to customized their faces, the uglier they look. So I always ended up going back to male character.

Plus I'm disappointed we can't customized their body types. I want my female to have bigger boobs

Has anyone played with this build? I have around 12 hours of playtime, have beaten 1-1, 1-2 and 2-1 and I'm thinking about doing this build. This is my 1st time playing DS. Is it an OK build?

Man

Boken said:
Should I get Demon's Souls or should I wait for Dark Souls? D:
Newcomers in 1997: 'Should I get Resident Evil 1 or should I wait for RE2?'

You're seriously missing out on an unique game that can't be fully replaced if you don't pick up Demon's Souls.

Canova

Banned
Boken said:
Should I get Demon's Souls or should I wait for Dark Souls? D:

you know the answer. get Demon's Souls now

1. It's a great game, best game this generation so far

2. You'll need tons of practice, if I heard correctly Dark Souls will be even harder.

3. The mechanic will be the same, and I'm not talking just combat, it's combat, co-oping, summoning, invading, central nexus, risk-rewards, etc, etc. So play Demon's Souls, get used to with the mechanic, then be ready for Dark Souls.

This franchise has a steep learning curve, so you might not enjoy at all after you try it. So buy Demon's Souls for 20-25 bucks, see if you like it.

manzo

So I finally started Demons Souls a few days ago.

Finished 1-1 and 2-1.

God fucking damn I hate this game. I hate it because it makes me want to play it more. The game rapes me and while I lie down on the floor cum jizzing from my ass, the game spits on me. And I smile.

I feel like a beat-up wife going back to her husband even though he slaps her silly.

I can't believe how I keep up with this shit. The game is just too damn intriguing. The world is absolutely beautiful.

Canova

Banned
Lagspike_exe said:
Has anyone played with this build? I have around 12 hours of playtime, have beaten 1-1, 1-2 and 2-1 and I'm thinking about doing this build. This is my 1st time playing DS. Is it an OK build?

I never played with faith build, but looks like a very powerful build. you have God Wrath miracle and you'd never need grass healing since you solely rely on blessed weapons which gives you regeneration capability.

for your 1st time thru, I suggest that you play the game as you like, make your own character, etc, etc. Don't rely too much on the wiki, it spoils the surprises and the fun,... unless you really get stuck.

Man

manzo said:
I can't believe how I keep up with this shit. The game is just too damn intriguing. The world is absolutely beautiful.
This will go beyond a mere flirt and become a full on love affair as you go deeper in the game. DS atmosphere is just immensely fulfilling.

Boken

Banned
Just watching the videos just makes me want this game so much, I couldnt possibly wait until Dark Souls anyway. I have no idea how this flew under my radar. Just another question, being in Australia, does anybody know if the PAL version or the NA version has more people still playing?

oracrest

Boken said:
Just watching the videos just makes me want this game so much, I couldnt possibly wait until Dark Souls anyway. I have no idea how this flew under my radar. Just another question, being in Australia, does anybody know if the PAL version or the NA version has more people still playing?

It seems that NA has more people, from what I have read. It's a great game to play through. It's one of the few games that I will pick up and play through again periodically forever.

There are so many unique areas, characters, and situations that simply won't be in dark souls, outside of simply improved combat and polish. I think dark souls will be the same, a very memorable standalone adventure.

I booted up my Asian copy and the servers are definitely up and running smoothly. I even saw some other players in ghost form. This warms my heart and is why this game is my number one.

manzo

OK, I'm in 3-1 and found the silver gear on the 1st floor. I picked them up and the game dropped some of the stuff on the floor because of burden. The items are on the floor as a golden armor icon and a golden sword icon.

If I leave the dungeon now to drop off the stuff at Nexus, will the items on the floor disappear?

Zeliard

Pure melee is fun as hell - my other character was primarily a mage after starting as Magician, and it plays quite differently. I started a Temple Knight recently and I'm concentrating heavily on strength/endurance. I've only completed 1-1 so far but I'm already decked out in light leather armor, got my Purp Flame Shield and the Crescent Falchion+1 - solid defense/attack and full mobility, which is where I intend to remain for the rest of the game. The roll-dodge is probably the most important move in the entire game and I don't want to sacrifice that for high armor.

I got the PFS by doing the sprinting tactic, but went back to the dragons' roost later on not realizing it was at pure white so I snagged everything else (playing online). That was a helpful little coincidence.

IrishNinja

^i pretty much played just like this. best armor i could manage for being able to roll at all times, and yeah, melee was a blast, though i wish i coudlve taken certain bosses without exploits, heh.

man, i wish idve known, idve gotten the LE of this game. not for its worth, but the artbook & case/cover look so cool, i wish i could grab just those and put my regular edition in it.

Zeliard

I think a lot of newer players underestimate dodging, thinking they're better off with high armor defense instead of mobility. I got the PFS the first time I got to the dragons, but to use it and have full mobility after that I stripped off everything else till I got my endurance up (Temple Knight starts with some heavy shit). So i was running around in loincloth with a big ass shield for a while.

By dodging effectively you can subdue most of the "stage 1" enemies (i.e. 1-1, 4-1, etc) with your starting weapon and no armor at all, and probably even no shield if you're careful.

I do sort of regret starting a Temple Knight instead of regular Knight, or something like that, because the Heal miracle has been completely useless to me. And by the time it may be useful, I would have been able to learn it with another character.

IrishNinja

ah, i only played as a wanderer so i never gave too much thought to starting classes. i mean, the huge # of character builds on the DS wiki made me feel you could go in whatever direction you like, especially if you're gonna play the game a few times over.

yeah, i was getting my ass handed to me with the slow roll. i see guys with tower shields and huge weapons and assume they're either proficient in magic, have vitality or whatever out the roof, or are absolute masochists. NG+ saw enemies i could handle killing me in 2, 3 hits tops...why i would want to trade this for 5-6 hits but with no way to move, especially when crowded, is beyond me. props if thats somebody's style of play, though.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Inanna said:
You could try buying it online, or importing UK version from shopto - CLICK. It's only £14.86 (that's almost $24 minus the shipping but I think would be around £5 or £10)

yes, I think I might do this. Royal Mail is cheap.

Zeliard

IrishNinja said:
ah, i only played as a wanderer so i never gave too much thought to starting classes. i mean, the huge # of character builds on the DS wiki made me feel you could go in whatever direction you like, especially if you're gonna play the game a few times over.

You basically can. After a point, classes become totally irrelevant because you can build them however you want.

But just for the early game, I would've substituted the TK's Heal for something else if I had to start again.

IrishNinja said:
yeah, i was getting my ass handed to me with the slow roll. i see guys with tower shields and huge weapons and assume they're either proficient in magic, have vitality or whatever out the roof, or are absolute masochists. NG+ saw enemies i could handle killing me in 2, 3 hits tops...why i would want to trade this for 5-6 hits but with no way to move, especially when crowded, is beyond me. props if thats somebody's style of play, though.

Actually my first plan was to have some sacrificed mobility (to where he does the half-assed roll, not to where he can't roll at all). I sort of wanted to be that seriously decked-out, scary-looking knight who just bulldozes his way through everyone. But rolling is too much fun, and just so useful. I imagine you can get your endurance high enough to where even very heavy armor doesn't impede you.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Ugh... I need some help. I invaded a world and it was this guy named Mephisto... He de-leved me by 4 SL. I never knew someone could play as Mephistopheles. What am I missing? His PSN name is Mephisto!

He literally has played no other games and is 1% into Demon Souls.

Edit: Mephisto-Pheless is his PSN name*

Canova

Banned
Is it me or the traffic picking up quite a bit since Dark Souls announced? I have no problems invading or finding someone to co-op with

IrishNinja

^that wouldnt surprise me any. i keep thinking i should load it up again and see if i can
be the old monk's guy/3rd level boss
but i had to play offline so much to plat that i got up to SL 240 something so i think my chances are slim without some serious deleveling.

Canova

Banned
IrishNinja said:
^that wouldnt surprise me any. i keep thinking i should load it up again and see if i can
be the old monk's guy/3rd level boss
but i had to play offline so much to plat that i got up to SL 240 something so i think my chances are slim without some serious deleveling.

yeah if you're that high, I doubt many are in the same level

I say if you're below 140, you should have no problem to pvp or co-op

Zeliard

canova said:
Is it me or the traffic picking up quite a bit since Dark Souls announced? I have no problems invading or finding someone to co-op with

Probably a lot of people returning to either continue their characters or start new ones. Dark Souls just looks so delicious that you want to get back into Demon's Souls. :p

Shiloa

Helloooo,

Ok, Demon's souls newbie here. I've somehow managed to blag my way through the first two Boletaria castle areas (I can't go the the third yet though?) thanks in large to sheer shield-holding, soul arrow shooting, fear.

Anyway, I'm stuck. I just get annihilated by this armoured spider thing. It shoots fire at me, I dodge, I get closer, it shoots fire EVERYWHERE, I can't dodge, I heal, I get up to it's face, I get stabbed VWUM YOU ARE DEAD. :( :( Repeat over and over.

Any tips? I haven't completely got to grips with this game yet. I haven't upgraded anything except some stats, I have no idea what most of the items and stats actually do.

I'm a royal.

oracrest

Shiloa said:
Helloooo,

Ok, Demon's souls newbie here. I've somehow managed to blag my way through the first two Boletaria castle areas (I can't go the the third yet though?) thanks in large to sheer shield-holding, soul arrow shooting, fear.

Anyway, I'm stuck. I just get annihilated by this armoured spider thing. It shoots fire at me, I dodge, I get closer, it shoots fire EVERYWHERE, I can't dodge, I heal, I get up to it's face, I get stabbed VWUM YOU ARE DEAD. :( :( Repeat over and over.

Any tips? I haven't completely got to grips with this game yet. I haven't upgraded anything except some stats, I have no idea what most of the items and stats actually do.

I'm a royal.

When he gets you with web, hold your shield up and brace for the fireball. It will do light damage, but also burn the webbing away. Once your close to him, he changes to a melds mode. Get good at dodging through his swipe, or guarding. Have patience with him, you will be forced to retreat and have to advance on him many times before the fight is over.

Danielsan

Slowly chugging along with my new character. I thought playing a character without magic was going to be a pain in the ass but I have yet to run into any real trouble.
Today I finished 1-2 (also killed the dragon), 2-1, 3-1, 4-1 and 5-1. Also took care of Executioner Miralda which netted my character the Binded cross. Perfect little piece of gear to replace my leather armour untill I get my endurance up some more and I'll be able to dodge roll in a full set of fluted armour.

Ooh and man, I wish I had known before how much easier it is to kill the crystal geckos when you use a bow instead of soul arrow. Hell the bow is far more useful than I ever anticipated.

Edit: Flamerlurker is also history. Man I never truly fought him mano a mano. I always used to beat him using the homing soul arrow spell. Fighting every boss with just a sword and shield and no cheesy tricks gives you a whole other appreciation for the bosses. Great fun! Looks like I will be picking a knight again when Dark Souls is released.

roxya

Shiloa said:
Helloooo,

I'm a royal.

It helps to have a decent shield. When you're in close, stand a little to the side, you don't get hit by the fireball attack. Even though it's a boss, the melee hits are easily blocked. All you need to watch for is the huge charge-up fire attack (when you see it coming, run fast and far down the tunnel behind you).

manzo

FUCKING STORMBEASTS AND THEIR FLYING SPEARLANCESWHATTHEFUCKTHEYARE AND GOLD SKELETONS IN 4-1

Gaaaah I hate this fucking game

brb going to play more

(1-1, 2-1 and 3-1 finished, 3-1 was so fucking GOOOOOOOD... oh god the atmosphere)

Shiloa

Thanks, I killed the git but only after several goes and I basically just stood in the tunnel and shot soul arrows at it till it died. It was really easy once I realised I didn't have to get close to it.

I'm now completely lost in 2-2 though. :D I was running around the area last night for HOURS. No joke. I have no idea where I'm supposed to go. I've gone in one huge circle. I really did not enjoy slowly fighting those fat fire blob things. I hope I don't have to go to where those red glowing knights came from, they looked scary. :(

Zzoram

Shiloa said:
Thanks, I killed the git but only after several goes and I basically just stood in the tunnel and shot soul arrows at it till it died. It was really easy once I realised I didn't have to get close to it.

I'm now completely lost in 2-2 though. :D I was running around the area last night for HOURS. No joke. I have no idea where I'm supposed to go. I've gone in one huge circle. I really did not enjoy slowly fighting those fat fire blob things. I hope I don't have to go to where those red glowing knights came from, they looked scary. :(
2-2 doesn't have knights does it? I've never seen any.

There are 2 ways to get to the boss in 2-2, a shortcut that requires carefully falling down a pit landing on platforms along the way to not die, and going down the floor elevator to the bearbug lava tunnels. The lava tunnels are full of loot but you need insane fire resistance and health to go into the lava and grab anything

Lagspike_exe said:

The Faith build is a great one, I loved it. I wouldn't recommend that you play with it the first time through because you will be so powerful against the ai and black phantoms lol.

The build has more strengths than weaknesses.

Canova

Banned
heringer said:
About to start this. Any general tips I should know about? Tips on character building also appreciated. :)

- be patient, have your shield up at all time
- Dying here is part of the game, so dont get frustrated by it
- Use Demon's Souls wiki only if you really need the answer, you don't want to spoil the game too much on your 1st playthru

Zzoram

heringer said:
About to start this. Any general tips I should know about? Tips on character building also appreciated. :)
Don't eat boss Demon's souls, they are used to buy spells, miracles and unique weapons.

Don't ever put points in luck. It's useless.

Dont hit NPCs or they'll permanently aggro you (be careful not to stand near an NPC while putting your controller down because you might hit R2).

Don't worry about parry and riposte, most people can't do it consistently. Dodge rolling is best, shield is good too.

Let your shield down to regenerate stamina faster when it's safe.

Hold O to run, draining stamina.

Don't wear armor if it takes you above 50% of equip burden since ability to roll far outvalues the defense of armor.

coldvein

Banned
more absolute nub questions:

looking at weapon stats.. i've got a Crescent Falchion +4, physical attack 101 (+0), magical attack 109(+43). and then a Kilij + 3, physical attack 117(+14), magical attack 0.

just wondering what exactly the magical attack stat means. does it only damage magic creatures, or is it a bonus for all attacks against anything? the kilij has a higher physical attack total, but no magic attack. i've been using the falchion. is that right?

Canova

Banned
coldvein said:
more absolute nub questions:

looking at weapon stats.. i've got a Crescent Falchion +4, physical attack 101 (+0), magical attack 109(+43). and then a Kilij + 3, physical attack 117(+14), magical attack 0.

just wondering what exactly the magical attack stat means. does it only damage magic creatures, or is it a bonus for all attacks against anything? the kilij has a higher physical attack total, but no magic attack. i've been using the falchion. is that right?

it's bonus magic damage on top of physical damage, against anything.

but then different enemies have different magic resistance. so for enemies with high magic resistance, the kilij+3 is better than crescent falchion+4

Top Bottom