• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Zzoram

addyb said:
Hi all, long time lurker of these forums but never bothered to post before so 1st post! Lol

Just have to say this game is epic. I've been gaming for 30 years and it's one if the greatest games I've ever played! I'm not brilliant at the game by any means so the sense of achievement when you beat a level is unrivalled imo.

I have a knight class and so far done 1-1, 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, 3-1, 4-1 and I'm currently getting raped on 5-1 (valley of defilement)is this level absolutely solid or is it just me? Im tearing my hair out with it at the moment but I'm sure I will crack it soon enough. I keep progressing a bit further each time so I'm happy with that!

Kill those clam hat things in the water. They don't respawn, and drop tons of poison curing items. Try to stay on land, keep lots of health/cure items on you, and take it slow. You can "run" in the swamp water, it makes you move at about normal walk speed. Just be careful because if you accidentally just tap O, you'll try to roll and get locked into a fail animation.

The giant troll with club thing, ya, just walk around those lol.

gdt

Zzoram said:
Kill those clam hat things in the water. They don't respawn, and drop tons of poison curing items. Try to stay on land, keep lots of health/cure items on you, and take it slow. You can "run" in the swamp water, it makes you move at about normal walk speed. Just be careful because if you accidentally just tap O, you'll try to roll and get locked into a fail animation.

The giant troll with club thing, ya, just walk around those lol.

He's talking about 5-1.

Take it super slow and pick your fights, it's really easy to fall off those planks.

Aasir Osu

Neo Member
I just wanted to echo the sentiments previously expressed - I love this game, despite the difficulty and slow progression. I cleared 1-1, and I wasnt' sure if the right move was to continue on to 1-2 or not, so I jumped to what i assume was 2-1 (I'm trying to manage what I do and don't read up about the game). However, and I know this may have ben answered dozens of times already, but I am curious about good grinding/level up spots? Or is still too early for me yet? Also, It's a shame that I've learned about the game now, and the servers are closing in October, since I seriously don't think I'll be finished with this game by then.

Zzoram

Aasir Osu said:
I just wanted to echo the sentiments previously expressed - I love this game, despite the difficulty and slow progression. I cleared 1-1, and I wasnt' sure if the right move was to continue on to 1-2 or not, so I jumped to what i assume was 2-1 (I'm trying to manage what I do and don't read up about the game). However, and I know this may have ben answered dozens of times already, but I am curious about good grinding/level up spots? Or is still too early for me yet? Also, It's a shame that I've learned about the game now, and the servers are closing in October, since I seriously don't think I'll be finished with this game by then.
Buy Evacuate miracle and anything can be a good grind. The miracle teleports you back to Nexus from anywhere, saving you the time of running to an archstone.

4-1 and 4-2 are excellent for grinding but very challenging for fresh characters.

As long as there is good activity they'll extend the servers again. Online isn't essential but it's nice sometimes.

mt1200

I cant still beat 5-1 on NG+, those giant depraved ones always beat me with 1-2 hits, im on SLVL 125 I think.

Any tips gaf?

Aasir Osu

Neo Member
Zzoram said:
Buy Evacuate miracle and anything can be a good grind. The miracle teleports you back to Nexus from anywhere, saving you the time of running to an archstone.

4-1 and 4-2 are excellent for grinding but very challenging for fresh characters.

As long as there is good activity they'll extend the servers again. Online isn't essential but it's nice sometimes.

Thanks! I assume you have to be a certain soul level before you can use miracles, or leveled up in the right category? I've spoken to someone in the Nexus about miracles, but no option to buy any has appeared - unless the spell guy also sells them.

RyanDG

mt1200 said:
I cant still beat 5-1 on NG+, those giant depraved ones always beat me with 1-2 hits, im on SLVL 125 I think.

Any tips gaf?

What type of character have you built?

Aasir Osu said:
Thanks! I assume you have to be a certain soul level before you can use miracles, or leveled up in the right category? I've spoken to someone in the Nexus about miracles, but no option to buy any has appeared - unless the spell guy also sells them.

Sounds like you'll need to pump up your faith a bit.

oracrest

Aasir Osu said:
Building up Faith - that actually makes sense, and this game is all about paying attention!

under the faith stat, when you level up, it will say miracle memory, or something. at a certain level, it goes from 0 to 1.

Broseybrose

oracrest said:
under the faith stat, when you level up, it will say miracle memory, or something. at a certain level, it goes from 0 to 1.
And Second Chance takes two Miracle slots.

My ideal build is
VIT- 50
INT- 18 (only if u want 3 slots for cursed weapon)
END- 40
STR- 22
DEX- 16
MAG- 10
FAI- 50
LCK- 7

Using Blessed and other Faith weapons, plus a few special weapons ie Sword of Moonlight +5, Northern Regalia, Meat Cleaver... makes for the ideal build for both PvE and PvP. My SL 125 build has NEVER lost a PvP battle to an offensive caster.

If any (US) Demon's Souls player would like to add me to their PSN and challenge my SL 125 female Faith/Melee build then by all means, please add me.

PSN: Broseybrose

addyb

Another thing that amazes me about this game is this:
Of all the various forums I've visited I've yet to come across one person who actually hates this game. I really am surprised by that! Pretty much everyone seems to love it and I don't see hate anywhere. Don't think I've seen that for any videogame before.

The only negatives some have given are regarding the difficulty being too hard. Even then said people are still praising the game!

I've still got a long way to go but my current favourite level is 4-1 (shrine of souls) I could replay that over and over again. Skeletons, dual wielding black skeletons, giant flying manta rays!! What's not to like! :)

oracrest

addyb said:
Another thing that amazes me about this game is this:
Of all the various forums I've visited I've yet to come across one person who actually hates this game. I really am surprised by that! Pretty much everyone seems to love it and I don't see hate anywhere. Don't think I've seen that for any videogame before.

The only negatives some have given are regarding the difficulty being too hard. Even then said people are still praising the game!

I've still got a long way to go but my current favourite level is 4-1 (shrine of souls) I could replay that over and over again. Skeletons, dual wielding black skeletons, giant flying manta rays!! What's not to like! :)

Yeah, the only complaint I could offer up is the wonky physics. Everything else is pristine.

Dyno

So this is my all-time favourite game. It's a point that's been echoed by many others.

I put over 200 hours into the game over two characters (and on two Playstations!) In that time I have gathered almost every weapon, every spell, and I experimented with the many playing styles.

What I learned is that - unlike most other RPGs - you cannot make a 'perfect' character in Demon's Souls, a character that is proficient or better in all things. What you can make is the perfect character for the way you play.

So I erased all my save data and started over, making a character that did all the things I liked and stayed on that focus. The result was an excellent playthrough with minimal setbacks. I played a fairly completionist run within 38.5 hours and reached Soul Level 83 with almost no grinding.

What was telling was that in this playthrough my fear of various monsters and levels was stripped away. I knew what I had to do in every situation and had sufficient tools for the job. (Play it enough and you'll finally get it, right?) Mastering Demon's Souls is a very long, very involved, very satisfying achievement. The game will teach you things that you can bring to other games. This game alters the difficulty of any other game you play.

This is the character that I play with. It's a fine character for the game itself but is somewhat lacking when it comes to PvP.

Dynovac the Lost (started as Cleric)
Soul Level - 83

VIT- 27
INT- 15
END- 27
STR- 26
DEX- 16
MAG- 8
FAI- 36
LCK- 8

Favoured Weapons: Large Sword of Moonlight +2, Winged Spear +10, Meat Cleaver, Dragon Longsword +4, Lava Bow

Favoured Shields: Purple Flame Shield +10, Dark Silver Shield, Adjudicator Shield

Favoured Spells: Second Chance, Wrath of God, Evacuate

Armour Type: light armours with heavy helmets (always 1/2 equipment encumbrance)

Rings: Carried around twelve different rings. Switched them as necessary.

For NG+ I will raise VIT and END to at least 30, probably get FAI to 40 and then I just might pump DEX so that I can use Quality, Sharp, Spider and the other unique DEX based weapons.

Cannot wait for Dark Souls!

Zzoram

Only have the all miracles and all spells trophies left. They'll be annoying. Need to beat the game 1.5 more times.

TuxBobble

I am disappoint.

I screwed up majorly in my start of NG+.

So, I had just completed the game, and saw that "look, I have 140,000 souls to spend..."
But no Maiden in Black to up my SL. So I decided to play through the first level so that I could upgrade again. Played through, died once or twice stupidly cause I was rushing, but I got all my souls back each time.

Eventually I beat the boss (man, NG+ definitely is tougher--I didn't have ANY trouble with the first boss the last time I played through (admittedly the 2nd time I went up against him) but this time it took a while.

And then I was just short of an extra upgrade, so I went to the bottom of the list to use some of my souls and push myself over the limit.

But I completely overlooked the fact that the Lead Demon's soul was the last thing in my list. Byebye Lead Demon's soul... :(

Also, I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to EFFICIENTLY get all the trophies. (I.e. what souls to use on weapons, armor, magic, miracles, etc.)

Trying to do it in the minimum # of playthroughs, even though I'm likely to play through it a bunch of times...

TuxBobble

oracrest said:
Yeah, the only complaint I could offer up is the wonky physics. Everything else is pristine.

This.

I really don't like when I get my feet tangled on a downed opponent and drag him for like 30 yards while he's jittering all over the place. Immersion-killer. And this is one of the most immersive games I've ever played, otherwise.

Dyno

TuxBobble said:
But I completely overlooked the fact that the Lead Demon's soul was the last thing in my list. Byebye Lead Demon's soul... :(

You only lost the ability to make the Scraping Spear. It's not a worthwhile weapon to use in any part of the game unless you want to make life expensive for the odd invading Black Phantom. Your loss is of the most inconsequential type.

TuxBobble said:
I am disappoint.

I screwed up majorly in my start of NG+.

So, I had just completed the game, and saw that "look, I have 140,000 souls to spend..."
But no Maiden in Black to up my SL. So I decided to play through the first level so that I could upgrade again. Played through, died once or twice stupidly cause I was rushing, but I got all my souls back each time.

Eventually I beat the boss (man, NG+ definitely is tougher--I didn't have ANY trouble with the first boss the last time I played through (admittedly the 2nd time I went up against him) but this time it took a while.

And then I was just short of an extra upgrade, so I went to the bottom of the list to use some of my souls and push myself over the limit.

Also, I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to EFFICIENTLY get all the trophies. (I.e. what souls to use on weapons, armor, magic, miracles, etc.)

Trying to do it in the minimum # of playthroughs, even though I'm likely to play through it a bunch of times...

If you're trying to platinum the game with the same character you need to do about 3.5 playthroughs. Two demon's souls have four uses (Old Monk & Maiden Astrea) so you'll need to beat the game 3 times, beat worlds 3 and 5 on NG+++, and unlock whichever NPC you need for the final spell/miracle or weapon you need.

The lead demon soul only has one use, the scraping spear, so I wouldn't be too concerned that you accidentally consumed it since you could get it again in NG++.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yeah three playthroughs is minimum for platinum... even though hardcore people does it in four, and casual Demon's Souls player does it on their 6th or 7th playthrough.

Just don't plan anything in particular except world/character tendency shit. Just beat all bosses a couple of times, save the souls, spend them on weapon upgrades and magic/miracles. Buy everything.

oracrest

TuxBobble said:

For many of the weapons upgrades, I simply upgraded a dagger, or iron knuckles. You can get a few trophies from upgrading them, and they need much less than other weapons to upgrade fully.

I managed to accrue several iron knuckles when farming the miners in 2-1 for whatever ore it is they drop.

RyanDG

As a completely random side note here. I have not played demon's souls with the wiki or the walkthrough. With that said, I've started a new character - a mage - which is the first time I've played as a magic user in this game. I just got to 2-2 and I finally realize that the way that I've been going through 2-2 is essentially all wrong. I've been taking the right fork in the path through 2-2 every single time, because I had assumed there was no way through the left fork with the carts that keep on coming. Well I finally tried to work may way through that direction and lo and behold there's a freaking path going that way (carts stop!). Oops? I just realized how much 'stuff' I missed in 2-2 with this simple change... The old way is definitely quicker (jumping down the mine shaft), but Demon's Souls really is the game that keeps on giving for me.

Don't judge me!

TuxBobble said:
This.

I really don't like when I get my feet tangled on a downed opponent and drag him for like 30 yards while he's jittering all over the place. Immersion-killer. And this is one of the most immersive games I've ever played, otherwise.

Seriously, I remember 2-2 now:

First you have to carefully jump to what seems and never ending abyss, which becomes darker the more you go down, so I reached the tunnels with the creepy fossils, I decided to went further even with the incressing fear growing inside me, so I reach what it seems a dead end, It's very dark and I can't see shit, so when I walk closer to the that dead end I realized in shock that it wasn't a dead end, it was fucking creepy giant bug!!!.

After recovering from the shock I realized it was only his back, and he couldn't turn back, so I decided to rape the motherfucker but he takes minimal damage every hit, and he begins to turn back!! so scared like a child, I run to other tunnel to realize there's another of them!! I was like "WAAAAAHHHHH!!" but at the same time I realized this game was pure gold and I just experienced one of the best moments in my gaming life in years...probably ever.

oracrest

RyanDG said:
As a completely random side note here. I have not played demon's souls with the wiki or the walkthrough. With that said, I've started a new character - a mage - which is the first time I've played as a magic user in this game. I just got to 2-2 and I finally realize that the way that I've been going through 2-2 is essentially all wrong. I've been taking the right fork in the path through 2-2 every single time, because I had assumed there was no way through the left fork with the carts that keep on coming. Well I finally tried to work may way through that direction and lo and behold there's a freaking path going that way (carts stop!). Oops? I just realized how much 'stuff' I missed in 2-2 with this simple change... The old way is definitely quicker (jumping down the mine shaft), but Demon's Souls really is the game that keeps on giving for me.

Don't judge me!

I love this sort of stuff. I did the same with my playthrough, didn't read a wiki or anything.

I ended up not using the blue or black eye stone, because I thought using it once would deplete my inventory, since you only get one. It wasn't until my second playthrough that I said fuck it, and used one, only to find out that it doesn't actually subtract the number from the item. I also never used flamelurker's soul for the blacksmith until later playthroughs. It is great that you can bypass such fundamental aspects of the game, and still complete it no problem. It really adds to the replay value later on.

TuxBobble

electroshockwave said:
If you're trying to platinum the game with the same character you need to do about 3.5 playthroughs. Two demon's souls have four uses (Old Monk & Maiden Astrea) so you'll need to beat the game 3 times, beat worlds 3 and 5 on NG+++, and unlock whichever NPC you need for the final spell/miracle or weapon you need.

The lead demon soul only has one use, the scraping spear, so I wouldn't be too concerned that you accidentally consumed it since you could get it again in NG++.

Thank god for that. And I already got my scraping spear from my first playthrough! (Since I'm trying for all trophies and was getting frustrated w/ black phantoms, lol...)

The tendency events are not things I'm looking forward to though. I have NEVER gotten PWWT in this game. Ever. Nor pure black... It's gonna take a bit of work.

Grinchy

Banned
For tendency stuff, just remember to always be in soul form. You don't want to accidentally die in body form and lose an opportunity to get pure white. Also, play offline if you don't know that already.

I'm totally going to platinum this before Dark Souls comes out. I'm very close. I have my pure bladestone weapon so the "hard part" is over. I'm in NG++ right now.

mbmonk

I am thinking about buying the US version for my nefew and myself ( I currently have the Korean version ). Has there been any news on when the US servers are shutting down? The OP says March of this year.

Thank you.

mbmonk said:
I am thinking about buying the US version for my nefew and myself ( I currently have the Korean version ). Has there been any news on when the US servers are shutting down? The OP says March of this year.

Thank you.
It's been extended to October of this year. It's up to Atlus if they want to extend it again.

bucklam66

Man, it's taken me 8 hours of gameplay time to beat 1-1 and 2-1. Was anyone else relived at the end of 2-1 when the boss was so easy, lol.

vireland

Aasir Osu said:

You need to rescue Sage Freke from the Tower level you access at the top of the nexus. Once rescued, he'll appear in the nexus and offer you miracles. He has a bunch of faith-based miracles. You also need the talisman to cast them (essentially like the catalyst you use for regular spells).

I'm almost done with the second time through.
Killed the maiden the first time, and was curious to see what happens if you don't at the end, so playing it again in new game plus.
Such a great game.

bucklam66 said:
Man, it's taken me 8 hours of gameplay time to beat 1-1 and 2-1. Was anyone else relived at the end of 2-1 when the boss was so easy, lol.

Don't get cocky. You might have just had the perfect build for it. I know plenty of people who had trouble at the Armor Spider. But, yes, he is one of the easier bosses.

vireland said:
You need to rescue Sage Freke from the Tower level you access at the top of the nexus. Once rescued, he'll appear in the nexus and offer you miracles. He has a bunch of faith-based miracles. You also need the talisman to cast them (essentially like the catalyst you use for regular spells).

You are wrong, my friend. Rescuing Sage Freke from 3-1 gives you access to higher level magic spells. You need to rescue Saint Urbain from 4-2 to get access to higher level miracles.

vireland

Solstice said:
Don't get cocky. You might have just had the perfect build for it. I know plenty of people who had trouble at the Armor Spider. But, yes, he is one of the easier bosses.

You are wrong, my friend. Rescuing Sage Freke from 3-1 gives you access to higher level magic spells. You need to rescue Saint Urbain from 4-2 to get access to higher level miracles.

Maybe I got that wrong because I've bled Saint Urbain dry of miracles. He's now just a worthless guy in the Nexus to me. I actually forgot who he was until you reminded me. My bad!

bucklam66

Solstice said:

Maybe, I'm playing a Magic focus royal so i just stood to the side and he never hit me, took me 4 hours to get to him though.

AAK

Alright I caved in and bought the game.... and I must be doing something wrong. I've been playing for 7 hours continuously and am stuck... I think I've covered all areas in this level except there are 2 routes I can't do anything about. One side has this red eyed knight with a spear that can kill me in one hit. The other side has the that nightmare blob boss which I think is WAY too early for me to take him on since all I can do is 2% damage and then he just regenerates.... am I just supposed to keep on grinding... or is there some place I can go to get actual improvements? help?

AAK said:
Alright I caved in and bought the game.... and I must be doing something wrong. I've been playing for 7 hours continuously and am stuck... I think I've covered all areas in this level except there are 2 routes I can't do anything about. One side has this red eyed knight with a spear that can kill me in one hit. The other side has the that nightmare blob boss which I think is WAY too early for me to take him on since all I can do is 2% damage and then he just regenerates.... am I just supposed to keep on grinding... or is there some place I can go to get actual improvements? help?

Nightmare blob? Are you talking about Phalanx? The boss with all the spears? If so, use some firebombs or flame up your sword with turpentine. Or, if you have magic, blast it with some spells. It's pretty immune to physical damage in the beginning.

Khronikos

Banned
Hey, I'm all for loving this game and I do but that does not mean it is immune from criticism. Some of the levels felt half finished, usually towards the end of a world or two. I mean, as far as World One I still think it is the best overall designed. 5 clearly was only half done though I did like it for what it was. After making my guy pretty strong I was looking for a deep game and christ it ended so quick I dropped the game before I beat it because it was going so fast.

What it does right it does with a vengeance but there is a LOT of room for improvement. Many of the worlds are just so small that when you look back on them there really wasn't much there at all. Sure, the atmosphere is second to none but I would like a more technically sound game as well as one that is a fuckton longer. I don't care if you have to repeat some shit just make sure I don't near beat the game when I think I am half way through. And fix those jaggies and textures while yer down there.

AAK

Jeeze.... they weren't kidding when they said this game was hard!

I'm trying to block but my stamina just ends up depleting and I just don't have enough to strike it at the end and end up getting repeatedly skewered by spears and die straight away :(

EDIT: But thanks for the help! It's getting me somewhere!

Canova

Banned
AAK said:

I'm trying to block but my stamina just ends up depleting and I just don't have enough to strike it at the end and end up getting repeatedly skewered by spears and die straight away :(

yup, managing your stamina is one of the keys to survive here. if you button mash or if you hold block button too long, you're asking for death. you gotta mix it up, between attack/roll/block/run, and watch your stamina.

Especially when you fight a boss, you don't want to exhaust all your stamina attacking, always leave some left to roll or sprint away

Orayn

Mizzou Gaming said:
Well my library finally got Demon Souls in so I'm about to bring this bitch to its knees. Any advice for me?
Be patient. Look up bosses and areas before you tackle them. Always be prepared, and never be hasty.

Canova said:
yup, managing your stamina is one of the keys to survive here. if you button mash or if you hold block button too long, you're asking for death. you gotta mix it up, between attack/roll/block/run, and watch your stamina.

Especially when you fight a boss, you don't want to exhaust all your stamina attacking, always leave some left to roll or sprint away

Listen to this dude. He knows what he's talking about.

Mizzou Gaming said:
Well my library finally got Demon Souls in so I'm about to bring this bitch to its knees. Any advice for me?

I give this advice to all new players:

You. Will. Die.

Everyone does at first. Don't think you're necessarily sucking. It just takes a bit to get into the groove of the game.

Khronikos

Banned
You guys are overplaying this a bit. There are a thousand different ways to level up fast and do it efficiently making the game fairly easy by contrast of hard or not playable. It is fun and shit can kill you no matter what but at some point realize the difficulty has nothing to do with AI or skill rather it is all based on your health and stamina.

Khronikos said:
You guys are overplaying this a bit. There are a thousand different ways to level up fast and do it efficiently making the game fairly easy by contrast of hard or not playable. It is fun and shit can kill you no matter what but at some point realize the difficulty has nothing to do with AI or skill rather it is all based on your health and stamina.

True, I'm not disagreeing with that one bit. I'm merely saying that the learning curve is steep. And the first time you play it, you will most likely die a horrible, horrible death.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Everyone dies in Demon's Souls. Even the people that start off well. They begin to think they are untouchable because they are the king of big, bad Demon's Souls. Then they fall into a damn hole.

Orayn

_tetsuo_ said:
Everyone dies in Demon's Souls. Even the people that start off well. They begin to think they are untouchable because they are the king of big, bad Demon's Souls. Then they fall into a damn hole.
Pretty much this. In my regrettably brief, but highly enjoyable, time with Demon's Souls, I didn't really remember the deaths all that much. Sure, they were part of the experience, but I remember the atmosphere and general "feel" of the game much more distinctly. I definitely died, but it wasn't frequent to the point of being frustrating or anything.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I just started playing the game this week and have already put in over 20 hours into it. It's so addicting.

My progress as of now:

Chapters complete:

1-1
1-2
1-3
2-1
3-1
4-1
4-2
4-3

Stats:

Vitality: 25
Intelligence: 20
Endurance: 20
Strength: 14
Dexterity: 13
Magic: 21
Faith: 13
Luck: 7

Soul Level: 53

My current weapon loadout is:

LH1: Dark Heater Shield +2
LH2: Kris Blade
RH1: Moon Kilij + 2
RH2: Silver Catalyst

Helmet: Silver Coronet
Armor: Black Leather
Gauntlets: Black Gloves
Leggings: Black Boots

Still can't decide on a shield for my Royalty build.

AAK

Ffffuuuuuu!!!!!

Seriously.... blocking with your shield takes away toooo much stamina! Argh... I just used up all of my turpentines (which took me forever to stock from grinding) only to be killed because my stamina meter wasn't long enough to block all 3 of the incomming spears after my attack! Now I have to go back and grind to get those turpentines again!

It's so frustrating... but for some reason I keep comming back to play it again :(

And are we supposed to be able to use magic yet? I see the blue bar and I read the notes on the ground in the nexus telling me I have to learn spells and stuff... but I haven't seen anything with spells to offer yet.. or am I not observant enough?

Worst thing is though... I had to quite because it's bed time and when I restart I will have 0 souls that I spent the last 9 hours grinding :( :(

I feel violated

2AdEPT

AAK said:

I bought this game around Xmas time 2009.... Put it down in the summer after getting ng+++ and two pure bladestones with one character even, but then the PS3 burned....but am back on the winter gaming tear this year again! I was a guest on Neo Gaf a whole year before gettting cleared! Demon's souls was the only reason I signed up. I tried to remember all the proper order of things this second time through but still screwed up and killed mephistopholes too early and still have no FOe ring on NG+! Also caught the ED bug and couldn't upgrade til NG+! I usually like not reading up before hand, but if you get frustrated with doing the wrong thing a little reading will save you agony.

For new players, like you AAK..... THere isn't really anything you can find or buy from a vendor that will be a saving grace....You just have to learn to play this game get the feel for the controls, and then you can start dominating. If you learn how to parry with a shield for example and to use the throw back enemies get by hitting your shield to get behind them for a critical backstab, you are on your way.

Notwithstanding, there are a couple helpful items I found helped me both times through level 1. As mentioned above get the flaame stuff for Phalanx, but get a spear for the first 2 levels and hide behind a shield until you get better with other weapons. Both times I picked up this game the spear helped me get to the next weapon, etc.

one killer move early on that I wish I new how to create a spoiler for, so I won't give too much detail, is how to kill the dragon on 1-2 and get the purple flame shield for 2.2 and 2.3.

Spear +3 - this will suffice until you are strong enough for 4.1.
Falchion (recovers magic juice) (early in 4.1)
Dragon Sword - (2.2)
Soul ray - after 3.1 boss

With an upgraded Drgaon longsword 5 and soul ray you could easily finish the first playthrough, but you won't want to.....too many other cool items, each of which have their ideal use which trumps all other items for that specific area.

Man I love this game.

Tried something new this playthrough by invading in 5.1. ....POor guy thought he had graverobber ring on or something but was shining an aura visible from a MILE away! Dropped down on him from above off that "take a step forward plank" and firestormed him before he knew what hit him?!?!?!!? Don't even think he saww me there......OUch.

AAK said:
Ffffuuuuuu!!!!!

Seriously.... blocking with your shield takes away toooo much stamina! Argh... I just used up all of my turpentines (which took me forever to stock from grinding) only to be killed because my stamina meter wasn't long enough to block all 3 of the incomming spears after my attack! Now I have to go back and grind to get those turpentines again!

It's so frustrating... but for some reason I keep comming back to play it again :(

And are we supposed to be able to use magic yet? I see the blue bar and I read the notes on the ground in the nexus telling me I have to learn spells and stuff... but I haven't seen anything with spells to offer yet.. or am I not observant enough?

Worst thing is though... I had to quite because it's bed time and when I restart I will have 0 souls that I spent the last 9 hours grinding :( :(

I feel violated

Yeah... Blocking isn't really the best option until you get a meaty shield. Dodging by rolling is often better.

Magic depends on which build you started with. Everybody can learn spells from certain NPC's in the Nexus once they arrive there. So don't be concerned.

Also you do know you can go pick up your souls from where you died right? You drop it each time you die, so if you die twice you can only retrieve from your latest grave.

Boken

Banned
Orayn said:
Be patient. Look up bosses and areas before you tackle them. Always be prepared, and never be hasty.
I disagree. If this is your first playthrough, don't do this. It'll take away the great feeling of exploration and learning. If youre having a lot of trouble with a boss or such then by all means look it up, but the fresh experience is the best.

Top Bottom