• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

2AdEPT

oracrest said:
If your talking about the dragon in 1-2, don't try and shoot him when he "lands." He will fly away after a while.

Stand on top one of the battlements, and shoot him as he passes through doing his fire run. Lots of arrows (or magic), but the satisfaction of ridding the world of that guy feels great.

First playthrough is boring, and perhaps the best is just to bring about 120 arrows and the compound short bow to the top of tower one, aim a tthe door to the bridge in the distance and shoot when the dragon gets half way to the tower. He will run into your arrow 3-quarters of the way to the tower...you will get a glimpse of the health bar this way. (you only need 70-80 arrows but newbies miss a lot!) One time I sat there for an hour and use all my arrows...thankfully the crossbow also works or I would have wasted my time) I'll often get my compund long bow and start upgrading with spider stone in 2.2. before coming back for the dragon.

The fastest way is to do it in NG+ etc.
take MOrian bladde and clever rats ring and lava bow with the highest damage arrows you have....heavy arrows form Patches do nicely.....do shooot him in the face when he is perched with his lovely wife blue dragon while you are clearing 1.1. I found the best was to go the far right side...less misses. He will get up and leave when he gets down to about 1/3 health....but th e time it takes in hyper mode with morian and clever rat is ridiculously fast compared to waiting for the stupid thing to fly around in circles for the whole process. I can't remember exactly but I thing I used about 40 arrows total in NG++. Make sure to wear the ring of avarice as well!

theta11

2AdEPT said:
Yeah, unless you read up on stuff, missing certain KEY acquisitions is inevitable. Ostrava burned me my first playthrough, but never again. I make sure and kill EVERY enemy in the whole level spiraling out from him. I have been tempted to just backstab him in 1.1 to get the key but his gifts are pretty sweet.

Can't believe no one mentioned the Great Sword of Moonlight for your tower shield red guy in 1.4. Totally rocks for A.) the tower shield black phantom (red guy), B.) red-eyed nights, and C.) any invading black phantoms that like to turtle up. Probably my second most used sword in the game....almost forgot....its also boss for anything that has tough armor like the black blobs in 1.1 and 1.2 and the bear bugs in 2.2.

Large Sword of Moonlight is good early on but it doesn't scale well enough to be really good and become situational at best, most skilled Black Phantoms won't use a shield so it's not that good against them and all those mobs are weak against magic and as you get higher and access to more weapons and spells that do more magical damage it starts to fall off.

theta11 said:
My first time through I would run over to where his nest was then run back and sprint across the bridge ignoring the guards. He kills most of the when he sweeps the bridge, so just just let him clear it, run over to nest then once he lands there run back and cross the bridge in 1 go.
Thanks a million! It worked like a charm; I saw two dragons sitting on a cliff and I was like "I am a badass here I come" not even a second later I was roasted. haha great game though

2AdEPT

theta11 said:
Large Sword of Moonlight is good early on but it doesn't scale well enough to be really good and become situational at best, most skilled Black Phantoms won't use a shield so it's not that good against them and all those mobs are weak against magic and as you get higher and access to more weapons and spells that do more magical damage it starts to fall off.

Absolutely no reason why I would use this sword exclusively, that just isn't my thing in this game...I enjoy changing my magic slots, armour and weapons for every different situation...but as a faith based character it is doing 302 damage right now in NG++, which is only beat by Regalia and meat clever without frosting. There is absolutely no better sword for the situations I explained above so far...ESPECIALLY FOR PVP...imagine the pooor noobs surprise when their brushwood, or tower shield shield doesn't work worth shyte!

Although I have not played further than NG+++. it kills the ninja and token characters in 1.4 in one hit.....so no need for anything stronger....but it does wonders on the red-eyed nights which most people I play with as blue phntms feel the need to use warding on ....this just isn't necessary with a purple flame shield +10 and the GSofM. Another fight I forgot to mention is the blue guy in the nexus when doing the mephistopholes quest, he loves to turtle up as well.

hint:
use a dodge and footsweep to the side of their line of attack (i.e. circle but quickly followed by r1)on any blue eye nights in 1.1. with this sword and they are done in two hits (one hit after you stand up from your sweep)...red-eyes will demand at lest three usually.

2AdEPT

theta11 said:
My first time through I would run over to where his nest was then run back and sprint across the bridge ignoring the guards. He kills most of the when he sweeps the bridge, so just just let him clear it, run over to nest then once he lands there run back and cross the bridge in 1 go.

yep THIS ^^^^^^ - but works better if you at least pick off a couple of the front lines with arrows or draw them out one on one first...if the dragon misses anyone it will be those first few on either side.... I have got fried in the past running back to get the stuff, as I was distracted by the stragglers.

Slappers Only

So, what do I need to know about this game? So far I gather that it's hard and kinda ugly, but I know there's more to it than that. I look at this game and I fail to understand it, and I want to try it.

What is the hook?

Zoe

2AdEPT said:
First playthrough is boring, and perhaps the best is just to bring about 120 arrows and the compound short bow to the top of tower one, aim a tthe door to the bridge in the distance and shoot when the dragon gets half way to the tower. He will run into your arrow 3-quarters of the way to the tower...you will get a glimpse of the health bar this way. (you only need 70-80 arrows but newbies miss a lot!) One time I sat there for an hour and use all my arrows...thankfully the crossbow also works or I would have wasted my time) I'll often get my compund long bow and start upgrading with spider stone in 2.2. before coming back for the dragon.

I was able to kill him in 30 minutes with just Soul Arrow standing at the bottom of the first tower. The only reason it took that long was because I didn't want to use up any spice, so I just let my Crescent Falchion replenish the MP.

Yep, just stay underneath the tower and unload on him. If you chose to ignore him, he will kill Biorr who keeps running into fire. It's not a big deal, but the world of Boleteria is so oppressive and wretched, you don't want a white knight such as Biorr dying away :)

mt1200

Hi gaf, sorry, i dont remember if i asked this before

I'm on my NG+, SLV 130+, but i'm forever stuck in 5-1, those giant depraved ones still 1hit-KO me.

Any advice?

only thing I can recommend is to bring lots of Heavy Arrows and play lame against him, other than that melee combat against him isn't particularly bad if you time all your dodge rolls.

GullFire

Neo Member
mt1200 said:
Hi gaf, sorry, i dont remember if i asked this before

I'm on my NG+, SLV 130+, but i'm forever stuck in 5-1, those giant depraved ones still 1hit-KO me.

Any advice?

As previously suggested, using a bow with heavy arrows is the way to go if you're struggling. Wearing the Thief's Ring is also a good idea.

The first Giant Depraved One is easy to snipe from the area where all the rats are. Get two or three shots as he approaches, then retreat back up the ramps. He will lose interest and return to his original position. Repeat.

The other Giant Depraved One hiding at the end of the bridge can be sniped with a Bow from the area just before the bridge. You can do this without alerting the two Flame Pole wielding Depraved Ones between you and him. Once you snipe the Giant Depraved One he will come for you, but his path will blocked by the flaming ones on the bridge. Just keep plugging away at the Giant Depraved One, then take out the other two.

Vitten

GullFire said:
As previously suggested, using a bow with heavy arrows is the way to go if you're struggling. Wearing the Thief's Ring is also a good idea.

The first Giant Depraved One is easy to snipe from the area where all the rats are. Get two or three shots as he approaches, then retreat back up the ramps. He will lose interest and return to his original position. Repeat.

The other Giant Depraved One hiding at the end of the bridge can be sniped with a Bow from the area just before the bridge. You can do this without alerting the two Flame Pole wielding Depraved Ones between you and him. Once you snipe the Giant Depraved One he will come for you, but his path will blocked by the flaming ones on the bridge. Just keep plugging away at the Giant Depraved One, then take out the other two.

I always just sprint passed the second one after killing the two small ones. By the time he realises you are there I've already dropped down to the foggate where he can't follow you.
You can also sprint passed the first one but this a bit harder cos there's a small guy blocking the upward ramp so you'll have to time some quickrolls to get passed all of them.

Having a really hard time with Allant...just when I get the hang of the fight and start rolling and slashing and feeling good, I inevitably make some mistake and he stomps me into the ground.

I even thought about trying to summon help for this one, but I've never connected online before and it's a little puzzling - I can read people's messages but not summon anyone.

2AdEPT said:
Can't believe no one mentioned the Great Sword of Moonlight for your tower shield red guy in 1.4..

Do you think this would be useful against Allant?

oracrest

Slappers Only said:
So, what do I need to know about this game? So far I gather that it's hard and kinda ugly, but I know there's more to it than that. I look at this game and I fail to understand it, and I want to try it.

What is the hook?

Nope, just dive right in!

oracrest

Kyleripman said:

Keep your distance, he does what I think is his most devastating attack when you are close, the one, two, three combo...

Nail the timing to roll dodge his super lunge, and also bum rush him when he starts to do his super area attack. Hitting him will knock him out of it.

Kyleripman said:
Having a really hard time with Allant...just when I get the hang of the fight and start rolling and slashing and feeling good, I inevitably make some mistake and he stomps me into the ground.

I even thought about trying to summon help for this one, but I've never connected online before and it's a little puzzling - I can read people's messages but not summon anyone.

LSoM isn't that great and its dependent on faith. Even at max faith, it's 355 damage which is so pitiful. Look on the ground for Blue soulsigns at the start of 1-4 and summon them. They would have to be within your soul range of course. I forgot to mention, you can only summon in body form. If you're in soul form, you'll never see anyone else's ss, but you can drop your own.

Verry lttp but finally got round to playing this the past week and duly hooked. Everything was going great but I've completely plateaud progress wise now and it's becoming a chore to play. Last night I spent a good hour or so repeatedly fighting the Maneaters on 3-2. Nearly beating both of them several times only to get killed yet again by my prone body sliding slowly off the edge after getting knocked down by them, which to be honest almost resulted in a youtube-worthy tantrum from yours truly, so I'm not sure sure what to do now.

I'm about halfway through, completed every world up to at least its second level, but stuck on loads of bosses and just generally feel like I need to change strategy. I'm only Soul level 26, does thst seem too low? I might just grind out shooting the necromancer type guy in 4-2 at the start to level up. I also haven't tried all the different stones for doing coop etc, so might try that on one of the bosses.

I've got a knight mostly based on melee with some magic skills, and I've only just changed from the default set of armour to a mix of that and the Saint set so that I can fully roll about etc, whch helped me (ALMOST) beat the goddamned Maneaters. Basically I feel like I'm missing something/reached the limit of my newbie tactics and need a new direction. Any advice, old hands? (I know there's that excellent wiki, but it seems a bit too spoilerific)

brentech

Strummerjones said:
Verry lttp but finally got round to playing this the past week and duly hooked. Everything was going great but I've completely plateaud progress wise now and it's becoming a chore to play. Last night I spent a good hour or so repeatedly fighting the Maneaters on 3-2. Nearly beating both of them several times only to get killed yet again by my prone body sliding slowly off the edge after getting knocked down by them, which to be honest almost resulted in a youtube-worthy tantrum from yours truly, so I'm not sure sure what to do now.
If it makes you feel any better, I personally find Man Eater(s) to be the most difficult boss in the game. Where I'm currently left off is Man Eater on NG++. I might give it a run after my GT5 league today, but it's been a few months since I last played. I'll probably have to brush up on quite a few things.

My character is of Knight class, but I actually stick to a full Black Leather outfit, and then use a heavy shield and 1hand weapon such as +5 dragon longsword.
I did this so I could roll with no slowdown.

I recommend NOT using the lock-on function for this guy, as it will often spin you around and result in a long fall - in my experience.

zerokoolpsx said:
LSoM isn't that great and its dependent on faith. Even at max faith, it's 355 damage which is so pitiful. Look on the ground for Blue soulsigns at the start of 1-4 and summon them. They would have to be within your soul range of course. I forgot to mention, you can only summon in body form. If you're in soul form, you'll never see anyone else's ss, but you can drop your own.

I feel like my main weapons (spear and scimitar) are only around 130 damage right now (one is +4 and one is Quality +5 or something)...maybe I just need to upgrade them more before I'm ready for this one. My character is SL 58 right now.

Thanks about the summoning tip. Are they only at the start of levels?

I made a breakthrough by finally offing Flamelurker*. I was not amused to then be swiftly put back in my place by the Dragon God, but after some wandering around other levels I came back and realised how easy he is. Now I can go back to the first world and do stuff there. I also killed the red dragon on the very first level and finally raided that cache of goodies. Looks like it's back on!

*I also killed the Crystal Lizard on the ledges on the way down to him and took this as a good omen... Until I tried to pick up the ores it left and they glitched through the floor and fell into the ether. That "fuuuuuuu" meme must have been started by someone who played this game, surely.

My hands are shaking as I type this...but I finally beat Old King Allant. I opened up by Firestorming him from behind (using Thief's Ring), and then patiently whittling him down with my spear. What I love about this game is that, even in this EXTREMELY hard boss, it's all about extremely careful swordplay...and lots of rolling.

theta11

ACE 1991 said:
So currently working a Blueblood Sword build. Has anyone played this character, and if so is it fun? Looks like it.

I loved it, not much variation but still pretty fun. I do get wrecked by every Black Phantom that invades but that mostly due to me sucking with the build.

So seeing these posts saying the LSOM isn't so great, what would be a good sword to upgrade to for my build? I have faith at around 50, with slightly above average strength and dexterity. I was trying out the Northern Regalia, but its weight takes away my ability to roll. Would it be worth using that sword (my CT is usually black), and using some lighter armor? Currently I use almost the entire dull gold set, but with Miralda's hood, with the Adjudicator's Shield (for the awesome health regen).

Acquiesc3

Banned
Charmicarmicat said:
So seeing these posts saying the LSOM isn't so great, what would be a good sword to upgrade to for my build? I have faith at around 50, with slightly above average strength and dexterity. I was trying out the Northern Regalia, but its weight takes away my ability to roll. Would it be worth using that sword (my CT is usually black), and using some lighter armor? Currently I use almost the entire dull gold set, but with Miralda's hood, with the Adjudicator's Shield (for the awesome health regen).

Heavy armor is utterly useless imo. In pvp it's pretty much fact. Armor bonus isn't even anything remotely major iirc. It really doesn't make a big difference.

Best faith build weapons imo:

Claymore
Great Axe
Mirdan Hammer

Honorable mentions: Great Sword and Knight Sword, maybe even Istarelle for while blocking thrusts.

LSoM isn't bad.. but not great either.

NR is great on any build honestly, but better with its own build or str, and dex rather than faith or mag. Dull gold is too heavy. Anything from naked, black leather, rogues, binded sets are fine. Do bump up your endurance to 40 if you haven't already.

The LSOM is a great sword if you come across someone who has a ton of stamina and a big ass shield. Really pisses them off. Otherwise, it's kind of just "meh".

ACE 1991 said:
So currently working a Blueblood Sword build. Has anyone played this character, and if so is it fun? Looks like it.
Currently it's my favorite build so far. It gets around warding and people who turtle behind their shields. Even with dark silver shield +5, I'll keep attacking to guard break and introduce them to my little friend. I use a moon uchigatana +5 in my left hand or adjucator's shield+5/dark silver shield +5 and insanity catalyst with blueblood sword and light weapon.

I was helping a host and this bp tried to disease cloud me several times, but my luck was at 12. He kept doing it on my bbs while I'm chasing him in 1-4. He finally got it on me, I eat a royal lotus and finish him off. All that effort for nothing. The only downside is not much variation compared to other builds.

dyergram

Jumped back into this last night had a real good run killed the maneaters on my first try then killed the old monk and yurt. Need to tackle 5-2 onwards would wearing yurts armour be a good idea? Also I know im going to have to fight that stupid blue dragon iv got the lava bow is it worth trying to upgrade my arrow dmg if so which stat should I upgrade?

brentech

dyergram said:
Jumped back into this last night had a real good run killed the maneaters on my first try then killed the old monk and yurt. Need to tackle 5-2 onwards would wearing yurts armour be a good idea? Also I know im going to have to fight that stupid blue dragon iv got the lava bow is it worth trying to upgrade my arrow dmg if so which stat should I upgrade?
I personally can't recommend any armor of weight for world 5. If you get in the muck you're screwed - and you need plague/poison protection anyways.

Rawk Hawk

ACE 1991 said:
I just finished my BBS build yesterday, I am at SL124 and tried invading some people, but couldn't even get SC up before being attacked by 3 people every time. I don't really mind dying or anything, but is it normal to have everyone standing there waiting for you to spawn and unleash fury before you even get loaded up completely?

I kind of thought once I started up PvP you would invade and then face the three players (if they spawned blue phantoms) one at a time. I need a quick overview of the PvP code.

Dyno

Solstice said:
The LSOM is a great sword if you come across someone who has a ton of stamina and a big ass shield. Really pisses them off. Otherwise, it's kind of just "meh".

I love the LSOM! It's one of my go-to weapons. With good Faith and a few colourless Demon Soul's you get S Rank damage, all of it energy, and it passes through shields. You end up one-shotting Blue Knights and two-shotting Red Knights. It has high durability and is very light so it helps you wear decent equipment. I have a 40 Vitality and I can wear all of the Ancient King's Set, the Purple Flame Shield, and either a Winged Spear or a bow in addition to the LSOM. All that and I still fast roll.

It wins.

Acquiesc3

Banned
oracrest said:
Unless you have stamina enough to roll fast.

Meh, even with. The stamina penalties infinitely outweighs whatever meager armor bonus they give. Another thing they gotta fix in Dark Souls really. Make heavy armor actually relevant by keeping the stamina penalties, but they gotta up the armor/defense bonus a lot more.

On the subject of LSOM, fighting Phalanx with it is one of the most enjoyable parts in the game for me. :D

Macattk15

So I just bought the game and have gotten through 1-1, 1-2, 2-1 and am working on 2-2.

I'm playing as a Knight, been splitting my leveling between Vitality and Endurance. I've pretty much just been making it through the levels with my Long Sword and Steel Shield. This is where I have a question, is it even worth it to upgrade these items? I don't wanna pump massive points to make a Long Sword +5 or something only to replace it with something better and easily obtainable.

I really don't know much about the game and haven't done too much research as I like to find things on my own, but I also hate wasting resources.

Rawk Hawk

Zoe said:
Are the souls from the random guys really worth waiting to kill him the Nexus? He's a sitting duck in 3-2.
I didn't think so, I wasted him as soon as I saw him. I actually backstabbed him right off the ledge (and couldn't find his body below). When back to the Nexus, reloaded the level and his armor was in the cell where you find him. Thanks God, not that I use it or anything, but hate missing stuff.

Generally souls become overrated quickly once you get far enough in the game. There are areas you can farms souls pretty quickly. A GAF member (theta11) helped me delevel my character not too long ago, and he was saying he had a million souls with nothing to do with. At the time I thought, man I wish I had them, but now less than a month later I'm in the same situation.

Zoe said:
Ah, missed that bullet point. That sucks, but thankfully I rescued Saint Urbain last night.

Yurt question:

Are the souls from the random guys really worth waiting to kill him the Nexus? He's a sitting duck in 3-2.

Every time you kill a boss, he will kill NPC, the first time he kills 2 random NPC's with pretty good loot as I understand, it's a nice way to obtain that loot without getting your hands dirty, I didn't do it, I just killed him when I saw him, he looked like he would stab me in the back anytime so I take him down, also his armor is good looking...

Fox1304

Damn maneater is kicking my ass ... :s

Also, last night was camped by a BF at 4-1 ... which had a weapon destroying my equipment's durability. Didn't feel good :(

oracrest

Fox1304 said:

Also, last night was camped by a BF at 4-1 ... which had a weapon destroying my equipment's durability. Didn't feel good :(

I agree with others here in that Maneater was my most difficult boss fight in the entire game.

Reilly

oracrest said:
I agree with others here in that Maneater was my most difficult boss fight in the entire game.

Difficult in a sense that you can actually die if you're not careful regardless of your level.

Fox1304 said:

I finally went back and delivered a beat down on my first attempt at Maneater the other night. It was made considerably more difficult by my PS3 telling me the battery was about to run out on my pad when I'd taken about a quarter of the first one's health off. but I still managed to beat them both while desperately scrambling to plug the damn thing in via USB.
Turns out I hadn't plugged it in all the way either, and the battery died once I was back in the Nexus upgrading my stats, which confused the hell out of me at the time

Funnily enough I also had the same problem with my first Black Phantom in the game. I was completely unprepared and he jumped me at 1-4. I actually did ok, managing to even get a backstab on him and take him down to about 40% health even though he was obviously well versed in Pvp. Unfortunately he spammed acid clouds all the time and eventually broke every single piece of equipment I had, which not only resulted in my untimely death just as I was getting ready to try and finish the game, but also left me with a massive repair bill.

Vitten

Macattk15 said:
So I just bought the game and have gotten through 1-1, 1-2, 2-1 and am working on 2-2.

I'm playing as a Knight, been splitting my leveling between Vitality and Endurance. I've pretty much just been making it through the levels with my Long Sword and Steel Shield. This is where I have a question, is it even worth it to upgrade these items? I don't wanna pump massive points to make a Long Sword +5 or something only to replace it with something better and easily obtainable.

I really don't know much about the game and haven't done too much research as I like to find things on my own, but I also hate wasting resources.

There's a Dragon Longsword+1 hidden in the tunnelmaze at the end of 2-2 which will complement your character nicely. It has an additional fire damage bonus and when further upgraded with dragonstone to +4 of +5 it can easily get you through the entire game.

gdt

Macattk15 said:

Dump the Long Sword (and that shield). Pick up the Crescent Falcon and Adjucator Shield in 1-4.

Keep the Dragon Long Sword as a back-up (or for special situations), that will get you through most of the game. Specialize later.

Also, change your equipment NOW. You must be able to roll. It's essential.

Top Bottom