• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Rawk Hawk

Khronikos said:
I do love this game, but after looking at it proper after beating it the game is simply not as good as what it entails to the viewer. Every fucking time I thought I was on this quest I was pushed in front of a boss and the world ended. It really started to piss me off. The game just blew its load way too fast imo. Sure, you can do all your new game plus bullshit but I want the meat of the game in the actual game. I don't need to be returning to do the same exact shit I did before that really isn't why I play games. Great game but largely flawed though worthy of all the attention as Dark Souls will kill this game in every way I can feel it. Except maybe for a couple moments here and there that were timeless. The lady singing in the prison was simply magical. I loved it. But these moment were too disparate and without any cohesive structure.
I think for me the biggest draw is the gameplay, it could be one 3 minute level over and over and it would still be fun. Somehow after about 80 hours of play, I'm still confronted with new problems and situations. Even if I know exactly where I'm going and what enemies lie in waiting, it's still very enjoyable.

If I was to make one suggestion for Dark Souls, the archdemons need to be harder than normal boss demons. All of them were quite easy in this game, Old Monk being probably the hardest depending on the situation. Considering they don't really have a level to get through, they should be much more difficult I thought.

Macattk15

Dolemitesooner said:
Yeah Latira is by far the coolest world. It seems the most thought out to me. It creppy as all hell, and the prison feels like a really prison. The Maze they created out of that place is unbelivable in 3-1.

I hated world 5. It really seemed to me like they threw that last one together in a time crunch. The whole black ass bottom pool floor on 5-2 I think it seemed like a lack of design to me.

I love the prison, but the narrow walkways where one slip and you fall to your doom makes me angry. Especially when everytime I've fallen off its been due to some weird ass camera view flip around when a Gargoyle takes to the air.

Also, how do I get back down to the Blood Swamp area if I died down there and it starts me at the Archstone? I go back to Yurts cage and its no longer there ... just the long chain.

Zoe

Macattk15 said:
I love the prison, but the narrow walkways where one slip and you fall to your doom makes me angry. Especially when everytime I've fallen off its been due to some weird ass camera view flip around when a Gargoyle takes to the air.

Also, how do I get back down to the Blood Swamp area if I died down there and it starts me at the Archstone? I go back to Yurts cage and its no longer there ... just the long chain.

The first platform has cages you can ride.

As for the camera flipping, don't lock on as much.

Having never played it, I'm considering picking this up. However in light of them disabling the online functionality after this month, I am uncertain if it would be worth it. What say you GAF? Should I take the plunge even now?

manofmandango said:
Having never played it, I'm considering picking this up. However in light of them disabling the online functionality after this month, I am uncertain if it would be worth it. What say you GAF? Should I take the plunge even now?

Absolutely. I play entirely offline because I don't want to be hassled by pvp black phantoms, and the game is great.

Zoe

manofmandango said:
Having never played it, I'm considering picking this up. However in light of them disabling the online functionality after this month

They're not.

And I've been playing offline for the past few weeks and am still having fun.

oracrest

manofmandango said:

Can we get this changed in the OP?, online will be up until fall. This seems to come up at least every page.

But to answer the question, the game is great offline. the meat of the game is a single player adventure.

brentech

If you're a completionist, your going to want to play offline anyways at some point in order to control your worlds. Kind of a hassle at times when your trying to acquire certain things that require pure worlds.

oracrest

for OP updating...

online.jpg

Game just keeps getting better and better, especially as my familiarity with the mechanics develops. All I have left to complete is the final world. The Storm King's world was amazing as far as atmosphere goes.

Rawk Hawk

Beat NG+ today and started up ++, I can't believe the crystal lizards didn't drop any Pure Moonlightstone's again this time, cleared both 3-2 and 3-3 and this time even put it in PBWT before getting the pole from 3-1.

Down to just needing Magic, Miracles, 1 Pure Bladestone, 1 Pure Faintstone, 1 Pure Moonlightstone and various Marrowstone's for my platinum trophy.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
My NG+ update!

I'm actually flying through the game with my character, having gone through 1-1, 1-2, all of world 2, and now 4-1 with relative ease. And I'm barely relying on magic either, even though I have some very powerful spells. I last destroyed the boss in 2-3, and then proceeded onto 4-1. I absolutely love this level as it's a melee fighter's paradise. I surprisingly dismantled most of the enemies in a couple hits with my Moon Kilij +5. However, I was invaded FOUR TIMES the moment I started the level. That was insane. First guy invaded me just as I spawned, so I cast a ton of spells into him. I guess his character was still "loading" or something because he wasn't moving at all, and I quickly took his health down to zero. He then texted me saying, "o' brutality." While in the process of replying to him, I noticed ANOTHER Black Phantom attacking me, doing very little damage. I fumbled around with the menu options trying to quickly get back into the game. When I did, I swiped at the invader a couple times and killed him as well. 2-0!

Then I took care of a few more skeletons, when I noticed I was being invaded AGAIN! This time this guy caught me in the corner, but once more I managed to evade a few of his attacks and killed him as well. At this point I'm thinking, "Fuck, I have 70k souls, I should probably head back to the Nexus since I'm still near the beginning of the level." And sure enough, as I'm about to reach the Archstone, yet ANOTHER Phantom spawns. This time it's a mage, and he manages to kick my ass with Firestorm and Fireball. Thankfully I was still able to collect my souls.

So yeah, it was an intense start to a fairly routine level. In Soul form I went through it without much problems, and then demolished the boss. The first time through the game I defeated Adjudicator by cheaply casting Soul Arrow at him from the highest ledge, and backed up every time he swiped at me with his tongue, so he never hit me. This time, sticking by my new melee-focused approach, I jumped down next to him and proceeded to hack away, dodging all of his attacks and taking him down easily. This was a much easier (and more fun) strategy than the one I used before. In fact, I've defeated most of the bosses I've fought up until now using melee only (yes, even Flamelurker), which is the complete opposite of my first run. That's why I love this game: the variety!

My character stats as of now are below. Please critique!

Royal

Stats:

Vitality: 30
Intelligence: 27
Endurance: 26
Strength: 16
Dexterity: 13
Magic: 28
Faith: 13
Luck: 7

Soul Level: 83

Weapon loadout:

LH1: Dark Silver Shield
LH2: Kris Blade
RH1: Moon Kilij +5
RH2: Wooden Catalyst

Helmet: Silver Coronet
Armor: Black Leather
Gauntlets: Black Gloves
Leggings: Black Boots

Question: I want to continue building a Spellsword character; however, I want to put a bit more emphasis on melee than magic from here on out (although I still want to be a powerful mage). I know most Spellswords put more emphasis on magic, but I just find the combat so fun and rewarding. Normally Spellswords don't raise their Dex past 13 or Strength past 18, but I'm thinking of going to 16 for Dex (Lava Bow) and 22 for Strength (Purple Flame Shield). I of course am going to raise my other stats first, as they're still not where I want them, but I'd like your thoughts first.

dyergram

Only got the last bit of the palace to do now, summoned a very helpfull dude who got me to the last part of the draggon fight. I ran out of arrows though :( on the plus side I got invaded and kicked some guys ass! Im determined to finish this game this week 65hrs lol.

Rawk Hawk

MrOogieBoogie, world 4 is generally the PvP zone. If people are looking to battle they hang out there in body form. So you will be invaded, a lot, there. Also, if you are looking to invade, or be a Blue Phantom, great level to drop your sign. Also, about your question, leveling whatever stats you want is perfectly fine if you plan on playing mainly PvE. The only reason spellsword builds leave DEX and STR low is to keep their SL around 125 or 135 depending on if you want to invade or host. If you aren't too interested in PvP, then level up everything as you see fit.

Acquiesc3

Banned
Vitality: 45
Intelligence: 30
Endurance: 30-35
Strength: 18
Dexterity: 13 or 16
Magic: 40
Faith: 16 or 18

Would be a solid spellsword build. I can understand 16 dex for Lava Bow for PvE.. but bumping str to 22 for PFS really isn't worth it.

Faith of 16 or 18 depends if you're gonna be using cracked Talisman of Beasts or not. Basically.. whether you'll only be using it to buff (useless in this build since you'll be using magical weapons) or Second Chance (Faith 16) or cast damaging spells with it too (Faith 18).

MrOogieBoogie

Acquiesc3 said:
Vitality: 45
Intelligence: 30
Endurance: 30-35
Strength: 18
Dexterity: 13 or 16
Magic: 40
Faith: 16 or 18

Would be a solid spellsword build. I can understand 16 dex for Lava Bow for PvE.. but bumping str to 22 for PFS really isn't worth it.

Faith of 16 or 18 depends if you're gonna be using cracked Talisman of Beasts or not. Basically.. whether you'll only be using it to buff (useless in this build since you'll be using magical weapons) or Second Chance (Faith 16) or cast damaging spells with it too (Faith 18).

This is about what I expected my final stats to look like.

But like I said, I've been really rocking melee lately, and using magic only if I'm overwhelmed or don't feel like dealing with an overly powerful enemy, so I was thinking perhaps I can raise endurance even more while keeping magic at 35 or so. But then again, I'll still only be wearing very light armor, so I don't know if it's worth it.

Acquiesc3

Banned
MrOogieBoogie said:
This is about what I expected my final stats to look like.

But like I said, I've been really rocking melee lately, and using magic only if I'm overwhelmed or don't feel like dealing with an overly powerful enemy, so I was thinking perhaps I can raise endurance even more while keeping magic at 35 or so. But then again, I'll still only be wearing very light armor, so I don't know if it's worth it.

Your killing power for melee still relies on your magic stat assuming you're using moon or crescent weapons (which you should be for this build). So I don't advise lowering magic stat below 40..

The ideal/max endurance for any melee is 40, but that might put you over the PvP range.

MrOogieBoogie

Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks.

So what is the recommended shield for a build like this? Still rocking the DSS.

Acquiesc3

Banned
DSS +5 is arguably the best shield in the game. I sometimes switch to Knight Shield +10 if I'm going up against non-magical foes/weapons due to the higher hit-res. Imo they're the only two worthwhile shields in the game.

Steel shield +10 w/ scraping spear combo I use for trolling. In general though, heavy shields (can't parry) much like heavy armor (stamina penalty, still irrelevant armor bonus) in this game are utterly worthless.

MrOogieBoogie

I have had no luck finding colorless demon's souls, which is why I have yet to upgrade my DSS. In fact, I've yet to experience a pure white or black world.

Canova

Banned
MrOogieBoogie said:
I have had no luck finding colorless demon's souls, which is why I have yet to upgrade my DSS. In fact, I've yet to experience a pure white or black world.

give talisman of god to sparkly and you'll get a colorless demon's soul

Acquiesc3

Banned
Risible said:
Invading phantoms who use scraping spear are cunts. True story.

They're supposed to make your life hell, after all. Unless they're friendly.

Scraping spear is a joke anyway. A good player could easily take out the invader before their stuff gets broken considering how paltry the damage is. That or atleast have some grindstones in hand.

MrOogieBoogie

Canova said:
give talisman of god to sparkly and you'll get a colorless demon's soul

Wouldn't it be wiser to put that colorless soul into the Kris Blade?

MrOogieBoogie

Well, I just plopped a Talisman of God in front of the tree, the crow said something like, "Yes, yes!" but nothing happened. So I picked the Talisman back up, then found out you have to drop the item and reload your game. So I dropped it AGAIN and reloaded my game only to find out that the crow didn't give me my Colorless Demon's Soul and my Talisman is lost forever. I think I screwed the process up by picking the item up again.

Goddammit.

Miroku

Rawk Hawk said:
Beat NG+ today and started up ++, I can't believe the crystal lizards didn't drop any Pure Moonlightstone's again this time, cleared both 3-2 and 3-3 and this time even put it in PBWT before getting the pole from 3-1.

Down to just needing Magic, Miracles, 1 Pure Bladestone, 1 Pure Faintstone, 1 Pure Moonlightstone and various Marrowstone's for my platinum trophy.

I just finished my session for tonight and like you I was going for a pure moonlightstone in New Game+ and didnt get one. Got all 8 available geckos and only got chunks. I even tried a couple with the Sword of Searching in offhand. Oh well, gotta do like 4 playthroughs for platinum anyways. Hopefully some Pure will drop next time around!

Miroku

There's 3 colorless souls that are really easy to get.

1. give a talisman of god to Crow lady
2. give a gold mask to Crow lady
3. get pure white world tendency in 1-1, easy to do at the beginning of the game, which opens the execution yard (doorway to your left right at the start of the game) kill the executioner miralda and drop down the beams past where you fought her and you can loot one from a corpse.

The other ones are harder to get, you have to do the mephistpheles quests which involves getting pure black character tendency and then killing off most of the NPCs in the Nexus, including ones you want to continue to use for learning spells and stuff. Also there are 5 colorless souls available from primeval demons. Each world has one and it only spawns when the world is almost pure black tendency.

Miroku

I just realized that different weapons require different numbers of stones to upgrade to a +5 level of (stonename). Iron Knuckles, followed by a short sword are the easiest while something like a GreatSword is going to take a lot more. I've been trying to make a Moon GreatSword and it costs 2 Pure moonlightstones at the end.

If you just want to get all the trophies and don't have much use for a Fatal or Mercury weapon or whatever, you should make +5 weapons with the iron knuckles to lessen the amount of stone farming required. Of course if you want to use the weapons for playing thats another matter...

zeioIIDX

I'm so addicted to this game. It's almost like PSO all over again (at least for me). I'm finally getting more confidence now that I've beaten 1-1,1-2,1-3,2-1,2-2,3-1, and 4-1. I'm currently using 4-2 as my spot to farm souls, just got a Lava Bow for my SL 58 Royalty, and upgraded to a Crescent Falchion +4 and obtained Soul Ray. It's amazing how much time passes when I play this game, it feels like two hours when it's really been 6.

oracrest

Miroku said:
I just realized that different weapons require different numbers of stones to upgrade to a +5 level of (stonename). Iron Knuckles, followed by a short sword are the easiest while something like a GreatSword is going to take a lot more. I've been trying to make a Moon GreatSword and it costs 2 Pure moonlightstones at the end.

If you just want to get all the trophies and don't have much use for a Fatal or Mercury weapon or whatever, you should make +5 weapons with the iron knuckles to lessen the amount of stone farming required. Of course if you want to use the weapons for playing thats another matter...

That's what I did, with iron knuckles. I got a lot when farming the miners in 2-1. They are very low to upgrade.

Canova

Banned
Miroku said:
There's 3 colorless souls that are really easy to get.

1. give a talisman of god to Crow lady
2. give a gold mask to Crow lady
3. get pure white world tendency in 1-1, easy to do at the beginning of the game, which opens the execution yard (doorway to your left right at the start of the game) kill the executioner miralda and drop down the beams past where you fought her and you can loot one from a corpse.

The other ones are harder to get, you have to do the mephistpheles quests which involves getting pure black character tendency and then killing off most of the NPCs in the Nexus, including ones you want to continue to use for learning spells and stuff. Also there are 5 colorless souls available from primeval demons. Each world has one and it only spawns when the world is almost pure black tendency.

4. get pure black on world 2 and spawn at 2-1, turn around and you can see primedieval demon from a distant

Miroku

If you guys have pure white world tendency and decide you want to go to pure black whats your best strat?

I've been thinking I would just use Stones of Ephemeral Eyes and go suicide a bunch of time in the world I want to go black. Is there a better way that doesnt waste stones? Other than reviving by killing a demon each time.

Canova

Banned
Miroku said:
If you guys have pure white world tendency and decide you want to go to pure black whats your best strat?

I've been thinking I would just use Stones of Ephemeral Eyes and go suicide a bunch of time in the world I want to go black. Is there a better way that doesnt waste stones? Other than reviving by killing a demon each time.

suiciding is quickest & best way to get to pure black world

MrOogieBoogie

Can someone quickly explain to me how to influence World Tendency? After 40 hours of game-time, I have yet to see a Pure White or Pure Black world. Is it because I'm always online?

Canova

Banned
MrOogieBoogie said:
Can someone quickly explain to me how to influence World Tendency? After 40 hours of game-time, I have yet to see a Pure White or Pure Black world. Is it because I'm always online?

if you die in a body form a lot of times, your world tendency shifts to black

if you kill bosses, your world tendency shifts to white

brentech

MrOogieBoogie said:
I could be slightly wrong. My interpretation is that when you boot the game up, you download the current world average status, which then takes effect on your worlds for your current play session. I don't think it continually updates while you're playing.

So yeah, each time you load the game you're changing your world's status away from what you previously worked towards.

I beat this today with an SL of 79 and about 38 hours invested. I was surprised at how morally ambiguous the boss of world 5 was...
they were both basically begging you to leave in peace, and Garl Vinland only attacked when provoked...it made me feel like a monster killing them.
Overall a fantastic experience, glad I stuck it out for the first few frustrating levels. Everything after Old King Allant really clicked for me.

brentech

Yeah, unfortunately a definitive story line doesn't seem to be in play at all. I'm not sure if it's just a lack of foresight, or if they decided that trying to force a story would ruin a good game? (cause lets face it, it happens all too often)

Zoe

Fucking Maneater.

I've completed worlds 2 and 4. Guess I'm going on to 1-3 cause I really have no motivation to continue 5-2 :\

Macattk15

I still can't figure out how to get back down to the Swamp area of 3-2. I can't find any cages to take me down ANYWHERE. Not on the first landing, not Yurts cage, what in the heck :(

edit : nvm found it. hurrrray.

Macattk15

What do you guys recommend using the Colorless Souls to upgrade? What items are worth it I mean. Seems like upgrading Makoto wouldn't be bad.

Macattk15 said:
What do you guys recommend using the Colorless Souls to upgrade? What items are worth it I mean. Seems like upgrading Makoto wouldn't be bad.

that and Adjudicator's Shield will make up the hp loss with its regen

Reilly

Macattk15 said:

Don't bother upgrading the Makoto.

Do Dark Silver Shield

Zoe

Woohoo! Yuria hooked me up :D

Maneater #1 down in one hit, Maneater #2 was a bitch with his jumping around, but I eventually got him.

MrOogieBoogie

So what's everyone's worlds ranking, from favorite to least favorite?

1. Boletarian Palace
2. Shrine of Storms
3. Tower of Latria
4. Stonefang Tunnel
5. Valley of Defilement

That's my list.

Top Bottom