• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

oracrest

Macattk15 said:
I've pretty much just been making it through the levels with my Long Sword and Steel Shield. is it even worth it to upgrade these items? .

I beat the game with a Long Sword +10, so it's not a waste. For me, more of an animation set preference than anything else. Falchion behaves a bit different.

I enjoyed the attacks with dual handed Long Sword.

AAK

Gotta question... I'm playing as a Barbarian and do they ever gain the ability to learn magic spells? Every time I hover over the magic/intelligence upgrade slot on the maiden, it never it doesn't show an increment in my ability to learn spells... just 0 ---> 0

And man, I'm just so confused... the only way to regain your human form is to kill the bosses... but if there are a limited number of bosses in the game... does that mean there are a limited number of times I can come back as a human?

grumble

AAK said:
Gotta question... I'm playing as a Barbarian and do they ever gain the ability to learn magic spells? Every time I hover over the magic/intelligence upgrade slot on the maiden, it never it doesn't show an increment in my ability to learn spells... just 0 ---> 0

And man, I'm just so confused... the only way to regain your human form is to kill the bosses... but if there are a limited number of bosses in the game... does that mean there are a limited number of times I can come back as a human?

No, you can help others kill bosses as a blue phantom and you'll come back. There are also items.

brentech

AAK said:

0 -> 0 is just meaning that you increasing it for that particular level isn't granting you the ability to learn a spell. You have to level it numerous times to actually have enough memory for a spell. All classes can learn everything, and in the higher level, there is nothing distinguishing the class you selected to start the game.
-See notes at the bottom of this page

Killing a boss isn't the only way to regain human form. You can also collect Stone of Ephemeral Eyes. Using one restores your body.

I finished 3-1 yesterday and 3-2 today. I
totally used the cheap arrow method to get rid of the first Maneater
. But my character looks ridiculously badass in Yurt's armor.

Zoe

Kyleripman said:
I finished 3-1 yesterday and 3-2 today. I
totally used the cheap arrow method to get rid of the first Maneater

How does this work? Every time I try to shoot through a fog gate, the arrow just gets deflected.

Macattk15

gdt5016 said:
Dump the Long Sword (and that shield). Pick up the Crescent Falcon and Adjucator Shield in 1-4.

Keep the Dragon Long Sword as a back-up (or for special situations), that will get you through most of the game. Specialize later.

Also, change your equipment NOW. You must be able to roll. It's essential.

Yeah I have both of those weapons ... and the Adjucator.

I'm still using Brushwood. I really haven't needed to roll at all. I've been circle strafing most of the bosses ... and well Bior made it so the Penetrator never hit me even though Bior died to him quite quickly.

I've killed Storm King, Old Hero, Penetrator, Adjucator, and the False Idol so far without going into Soul Form, I'm on a roll ... though those bosses seemed quite easy.

The only time I've needed to roll I think is against the Flamelurker guy who is just unfun for me. I'm scared to go attempt him now.

I definitely see the benefits of rolling for dealing with enemies, but most normal enemies I just strafe around and block their attacks and kill them on the recoils.

What armor do you recommend switching to? I haven't come across much.

todahawk

I was working on my late NG++ character from launch but haven't played in quite a while. I'm thinking of starting a brand new char from scratch. Any build recommendations? I like agile type characters... TIA

oracrest

greenjerk said:
I was working on my late NG++ character from launch but haven't played in quite a while. I'm thinking of starting a brand new char from scratch. Any build recommendations? I like agile type characters... TIA

Play as "Escaped Prisoner #7"

Make you character look as much like a Stonefang miner as possible. Play through using only the pickaxe, slave's shield, and Great Club. No armor.

That's my recommendation.

:)

todahawk

oracrest said:
Play as "Escaped Prisoner #7"

Make you character look as much like a Stonefang miner as possible. Play through using only the pickaxe, slave's shield, and Great Club. No armor.

That's my recommendation.

:)

:/

Fox1304

Damn 4-2 is hard ! The reapers and Shadow things that they summon are really tough to beat, and deal lot of damage. I'm having a hard time, any tips ? I'm a full mage character. ( currently rocking homing soul arrow (MP-vore :( ), fire bullets and soul aray if necessary. )

thorin

Flame toss works really well against reapers. It staggers them and kills them in 2 or 3 shots. As for the shadow guys, I just run past them and focus on the reaper. For the ones that shoot beams, if you run right up to them they'll try to hit you instead, which is a lot easier to deal with. 4-2 is pretty annoying the first time since there's no shortcut to the boss if you die.

Oh and I forgot: for the first reaper you can cast cloak and drop off the bridge to land behind him without his noticing.

ultron87

I started this game again after playing it for like 12 hours back when it came out.

Man, it is waaaay easier when you start with someone who can use magic.

Zoe

thorin said:
Oh and I forgot: for the first reaper you can cast cloak and drop off the bridge to land behind him without his noticing.

It only takes 4-5 wooden arrows to take him down.

Fox1304

thorin said:
Flame toss works really well against reapers. It staggers them and kills them in 2 or 3 shots. As for the shadow guys, I just run past them and focus on the reaper. For the ones that shoot beams, if you run right up to them they'll try to hit you instead, which is a lot easier to deal with. 4-2 is pretty annoying the first time since there's no shortcut to the boss if you die.

I can't make it :(. I'm soul level 59 if anybody is there and wants to help ^^

Ugh seriously, it happened again. The last time I beat the game (play ~8 of my second platinum) I killed every single black phantom and didn't get pure white character tendency.
Well, it just happened again. I killed all 5 black phantoms, and i've played this enough that I freakin KNOW when I'm at pure white and I am. I can't get the monumental to give up the damned ring and I also know I answered YES to him when I started. Last time I had to beat the whole game an extra time and kill all 5 phantoms AGAIN while already and PWCT.
I love and hate this game some times.

Fox1304 said:
I can't make it :(. I'm soul level 59 if anybody is there and wants to help ^^
What version? I'm at SL60 and I'd help but I'm on the EU copy right now. MY NA and HK rolls are all over 300 now.

Fox1304

BobTheFork said:
Ugh seriously, it happened again. The last time I beat the game (play ~8 of my second platinum) I killed every single black phantom and didn't get pure white character tendency.
Well, it just happened again. I killed all 5 black phantoms, and i've played this enough that I freakin KNOW when I'm at pure white and I am. I can't get the monumental to give up the damned ring and I also know I answered YES to him when I started. Last time I had to beat the whole game an extra time and kill all 5 phantoms AGAIN while already and PWCT.

What version? I'm at SL60 and I'd help but I'm on the EU copy right now. MY NA and HK rolls are all over 300 now.
Finallybeat it. But if you need some help or want some coop action, i'm all in. Lvl 60 on EU too. Tell me where, i'll be there !

Dak'kon

BobTheFork said:

Have you tried moving your CT towards black and then back towards white again to see if it fixes the problem? If you only want the Friend's Ring then I have a spare one if you want it when you get to SL~100

Dak'kon said:
Have you tried moving your CT towards black and then back towards white again to see if it fixes the problem? If you only want the Friend's Ring then I have a spare one if you want it when you get to SL~100
Well I haven't tried it because I didn't want to get it back up, but if it's already not working then I may have to try. I appreciate the offer and If I can't get it at the beginning of the next play I will let you know. I'll try killing a BP from one more level when I start, and see if that helps.

It's just odd that it happened again when I really didn't think there were many/any presistance bugs left in the game (aside form boss gimp cheats)

Dak'kon

BobTheFork said:
Well I haven't tried it because I didn't want to get it back up, but if it's already not working then I may have to try. I appreciate the offer and If I can't get it at the beginning of the next play I will let you know. I'll try killing a BP from one more level when I start, and see if that helps.

It's just odd that it happened again when I really didn't think there were many/any presistance bugs left in the game (aside form boss gimp cheats)

I'm sure you wouldn't have, given how many times you've played, but are you sure you didn't accidentally move it towards black in some way (perhaps killing a player as the Old Monk) or not getting it towards white by killing any of the NPC BPs with Poison or something? Apparently you also have to be in body form to get it, but I'm not sure if there's truth to that...

brentech

I loaded the game for the first time in quite a while. On NG++ and gave Man Eater a few tries, but I was too rusty. Could only take down one before I'd get caught up and smashed. All in all, will just take a bit to get used to it again.

Bigger issue is figuring out what I'm missing and what I need. Will have to check against the wiki. I think I need both the friends and foes ring. Not sure which unique weapons I need, but if I remember correctly, this was the last playthrough I needed in order to finish getting all spells/miracles.

So yeah, basically I need to do some data-combing on my character to figure out what I'm trying to accomplish for my platinum.

Dak'kon said:
I'm sure you wouldn't have, given how many times you've played, but are you sure you didn't accidentally move it towards black in some way (perhaps killing a player as the Old Monk) or not getting it towards white by killing any of the NPC BPs with Poison or something? Apparently you also have to be in body form to get it, but I'm not sure if there's truth to that...
I sure didn't think so. The only possible offense I made was killing the real executioner girl, but everything we know about the game say that she doesn't effect the CT.

Fox1304

Good run last night. Got maneater, Old Hero, Storm King, and Penetrator ( went to the boss nearly OOM and wasn't touched once, for my first time *proud* ).
The game is definitely easier after 10 or so hours when you've learned what to expectand how to play.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Been playing NG+, and cleared 1-1, 1-2, and 2-1 with relative ease. Then I got up to Flamelurker, and nearly killed him my first time melee only. :O

Then I got owned the second time.

I came back the third time ready to fucking kill him. I had used a ton of grass up until this point, so I was running really low. I got him down to a quarter of his health, again by using melee only (Moon Kilij +5), and then he started going berserk. He was kicking my ass, and I barely got a chance to hit him. I had to heal myself in the middle of many of his attacks, so I remained in a perpetual state of half health. lol

But the final combo I landed on him was epic. He jumped at me, got me into a corner. I thought it was over. However, I rolled between his legs and ended up behind him after he had just used his stupid ground pound flame attack. Here was my chance, and I unloaded on him with a three-hit combo. Thankfully I had the Clever Rat's Ring equipped, which I'm sure helped me kill him as quickly as I did.

So yeah, took the bitch down. And once more, melee-only, which is pretty funny because my character is a Royal spellsword.

So in about 3.5 hours I've cleared four stages. Not bad compared to my first run through the game. I find myself exploring every corner of every map once more, even though I've picked up all these items before in my previous playthrough. lol

Rawk Hawk

Struggled in NG+ on 5-2, man I hate that level.

To beat NG+ I need 1-4, 2-3, 3-2, 3-3, 4-3, 5-3. Going to take on Maneater tonight after work and then make a run through the final bosses of each level. If anyone is interested in taking out some bosses for fun later let me know, I should be home from work around 5 pm eastern time.

I worry about Maneater and False King, I totally cheap killed False King the first time by arrowing him to death before I tripped the cut scene, so I'd like to not do that again, lol.

bucklam66

Finally cleared another boss (2-2) and killed the Red Dragon, 20 hours and I've beat:

1-1, 1-2
2-1, 2-2
3-1

Doesn't seem like I've played that long.

Where are the best places to farm for Sharpstone and Hardstone? I feel like I need to upgrade my two main weapons before I get too much further.

Miroku

Finally beat my first run in this game. I bought it when it first came out and beat Phalanx and Tower Knight, then without knowing what the hell I was doing I proceeded to lose everything in 5-1 thinking that was where I was supposed to be at that point. SO I just came back to the game and over the last few days finished it up from scratch. Starting as a Royal was a lot easier than my old Thief character.

The platinum trophy is still a very long way away, my god. I spent most of my first run in white/pure white world tendency, hoping to do more black tendency stuff and get more colorless souls + do more world invading pvp during NG+

The last boss went down hard to my firestorms, so much fun :)

The event in 3-3 where you get to play as the Monk and kill other players so you get the headband is a stroke of genius in game design. I hope they have more stuff like that in Dark Souls.

Reilly

Kyleripman said:
Where are the best places to farm for Sharpstone and Hardstone? I feel like I need to upgrade my two main weapons before I get too much further.

You can buy these from the dirty man in 2-1 and 2-2.

BobTheFork said:

I had this problem too where it wasn't going up to PWCT after killing all 5 PBWT Phantoms, if you have online access just kill like 3 black phantoms who invade and you should get your friends ring.

also i've heard you must be in body form, dont know if thats true, but you have to be in body form to be invaded.

Rawk Hawk

Kyleripman said:
Excellent, thanks (both of you). How about Large shards? and Clearstone?
http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/stone-farming

This has been the most helpful wiki page for me. So easily sorted, can check up on the best ways to get any stones all from one page.

If only a pure bladestone would ever drop for me... I must have killed the dual katana skeleton over 300 times now, and at least 100 were during BPWT. Just got soulsucker yesterday though, so might make it PBWT again and try the BP version.

Dolemitesooner

Neo Member
Maneater was probably the toughest boass for me in the whole game. Would you all agree?
I am working on a platnium trophy. I am 110 on NG+. I am doing this run on pure white, and I think I can get a plat if I do the next on pure black world tendency.

Canova

Banned
Dolemitesooner said:
Maneater was probably the toughest boass for me in the whole game. Would you all agree?
I am working on a platnium trophy. I am 110 on NG+. I am doing this run on pure white, and I think I can get a plat if I do the next on pure black world tendency.

yes, they are. In NG++++, they're obnoxious sonsofbitches

Dolemitesooner

Neo Member
I don't see how its possible to beat them in one try without losing the first or second one with the theif's ring.

I got so pissed the second time I played them I used the arrow through door glitch. 1 is hard enough to beat. LMAO

I guess I am going to grind for pure bladestone tonihgt after I study :(

Khronikos

Banned
I do love this game, but after looking at it proper after beating it the game is simply not as good as what it entails to the viewer. Every fucking time I thought I was on this quest I was pushed in front of a boss and the world ended. It really started to piss me off. The game just blew its load way too fast imo. Sure, you can do all your new game plus bullshit but I want the meat of the game in the actual game. I don't need to be returning to do the same exact shit I did before that really isn't why I play games. Great game but largely flawed though worthy of all the attention as Dark Souls will kill this game in every way I can feel it. Except maybe for a couple moments here and there that were timeless. The lady singing in the prison was simply magical. I loved it. But these moment were too disparate and without any cohesive structure.

Dolemitesooner

Neo Member
I agree with you that the game lacked structure. With a cohessive story to the game as you traversed through the stages I think the game would have been the greatest game of all time.

The indepth game play and graphics still made this game top notch. I understand that the game lacked a little for you, but it was still one of a kind.

I am playing it again after a year break with other games on my self that still need to be played because this game was SOO breathtaking, challenging, and fun.

Macattk15

I melee'd the hell out of the last guy last night. Didn't find the fight all that hard at all. Just kept my Ring of Great Strength on to allow the quick dodges and evaded all his attacks.

I still need to go finish off 3-2 though. I hate that whole entire world.

Fox1304

Is firestorm useless everytime but on the bosses ? Or do I just suck at it ? I find Homing Soul Arrows as powerful and much more useful on regular mobs, and much easier to use on bosses too.
Tried a new combo too today. Clever Rat Ring + Head Monk Wrappings + Ring of magical sharpness + Morion Blade.
Well ... I've one shotted several BP in PBWT, Tower Knight boss, and many more ...

brentech

thorin said:
Man, 3-2 is probably my favorite because its atmosphere, even if I hate the boss. I <3 Latria :)
3-1 and 3-2 give me the creeps, lol.
I like the normality of world 1. Fighting the Tower Knight is total epic-ness.

World 4 seems like I'm at the terminator judgement day.

Dolemitesooner

Neo Member
Yeah Latira is by far the coolest world. It seems the most thought out to me. It creppy as all hell, and the prison feels like a really prison. The Maze they created out of that place is unbelivable in 3-1.

I hated world 5. It really seemed to me like they threw that last one together in a time crunch. The whole black ass bottom pool floor on 5-2 I think it seemed like a lack of design to me.

Top Bottom