• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

kvn

MMaRsu said:
I don't want to watch a video walkthrough lol, haven't done that since the days of Monkey Island.

in 1-1, after you beat the phalanx boss. You have to traverse a castle wall, and the red dragon is constantly breathing fire down upon it. I have the timing down for the first two runs but it's still annoying as shit.

Then I get to the last damn part of the wall, and there are 4 archers and 2 heavy warriors there waiting for me. I'm trying my best to beat these guys, but goddamnit I get killed everytime. When I'm using a damn herb or when I'm trying to parry.

Died 5/6 times in a row in the same freaking spot. SO ANNOYING.

Sprint button, less than 50% equipment weight, done.

MMaRsu

KAOz said:
That's not 1-1. That's 1-2 acctually. And, if you run for the first tower, then go down the stairs, you should be able to traverse the whole thing using underground passages. You don't need to step out on that bridge, until the very end.

Yeah I know, but the dogs downstairs are tricky. And its not that hard to time the dragon flames..

kvn said:
Sprint button, less than 50% equipment weight, done.

Sprint button? Whuh?

Rawk Hawk

Also MM, after you beat the first boss you can start leveling up your character, have you been able to do that yet? You need to use souls, which are hard to come by in the beginning of the game, but just making sure you are aware.

I was in the same situation, if you look at my trophy list, and just about everyone else I've ever seen, you beat phalanx and then your second one like 2 months later. After I decided to give the game a second chance, I've beaten it like 4 times, leveled up two different characters and still pop on to PvP a few nights a week. So it certainly gets better.

MMaRsu

Rawk Hawk said:
Also MM, after you beat the first boss you can start leveling up your character, have you been able to do that yet? You need to use souls, which are hard to come by in the beginning of the game, but just making sure you are aware.

I was in the same situation, if you look at my trophy list, and just about everyone else I've ever seen, you beat phalanx and then your second one like 2 months later. After I decided to give the game a second chance, I've beaten it like 4 times, leveled up two different characters and still pop on to PvP a few nights a week. So it certainly gets better.

Circle = Sprint = mind blown. I knew about the dodging, without that I probably wouldn't have gotten this far :p.

I don't think I've leveled up yet. I always get a bunch of stones but use them too fast when I want to buy something and sometimes I die on my way there, so I have to redo it..etc you get the point.

Either way I don't think I've leveled up but ofcourse not all my souls are pretty much gone.

oracrest

MMaRsu said:
Circle = Sprint = mind blown. I knew about the dodging, without that I probably wouldn't have gotten this far :p.

I don't think I've leveled up yet. I always get a bunch of stones but use them too fast when I want to buy something and sometimes I die on my way there, so I have to redo it..etc you get the point.

Either way I don't think I've leveled up but ofcourse not all my souls are pretty much gone.

In regards to leveling up, I was a bit confused about how it all worked myself the first time I played, but
you can talk to the maiden in black AFTER you have beaten 1-1, and talked to the monumental. She will trade souls for attribute increases

MMaRsu

oracrest said:
In regards to leveling up, I was a bit confused about how it all worked myself the first time I played, but
you can talk to the maiden in black AFTER you have beaten 1-1, and talked to the monumental. She will trade souls for attribute increases

Sorry for my question, but how do you speak to the monumental? I actually tried to but I couldn't understand where I was supposed to talk to it :p.

oracrest

MMaRsu said:
Sorry for my question, but how do you speak to the monumental? I actually tried to but I couldn't understand where I was supposed to talk to it :p.

He is very high up in the Nexus. Take the stairs up really high, and eventually you will come to a ledge area with lots of little boys sitting indian style around the perimeter. He's the only one with a lit candle in front of him.

If you reach the pantheon of top online players, you have gone just a bit too far.

MMaRsu said:

The Monumental awaits thee above.

Follow the stairs to the top of the Nexus.

Rawk Hawk

MMaRsu said:
Don't be sorry, it's very confusing at first. Like other have said he is up the stairs, think you have to go up quite a few sets of stair cases.. sounds to me like you are trying to talk to the statue.

After that the madien in black will help you level.

kvn

MMaRsu said:

Don't worry, I walked about half an hour like stupid trying to figure out how to speak to the huge statue..

brentech

Rawk Hawk said:
Damn, if I had one I'd give it to you, unfortunately I didn't duplicate mine when I got one for the trophy. You soulsucking the BP?
Yea, just got done with an hour of that.
Yesterday I probably did about 2 hours between that and killing the one in the secret passage.

KAOz

Short bus special
brentech said:
Yea, just got done with an hour of that.
Yesterday I probably did about 2 hours between that and killing the one in the secret passage.

You know, I've figured that whole thing is somewhat of an in-joke with the developers. See, they made the Bladestone REALLY super-rare, and superhard to find. Then they name it Bladestone. The BS. Now what you are looking for is PURE BS.

I bet it was made as a joke.

I really need one too. :(

And Pure Moonstone, and Pure Darkmoon.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
MMaRsu said:
I don't want to watch a video walkthrough lol, haven't done that since the days of Monkey Island.

in 1-1, after you beat the phalanx boss. You have to traverse a castle wall, and the red dragon is constantly breathing fire down upon it. I have the timing down for the first two runs but it's still annoying as shit.

Then I get to the last damn part of the wall, and there are 4 archers and 2 heavy warriors there waiting for me. I'm trying my best to beat these guys, but goddamnit I get killed everytime. When I'm using a damn herb or when I'm trying to parry.

Died 5/6 times in a row in the same freaking spot. SO ANNOYING.
That dragon is a force of indiscriminate destruction. Lure the blue eye knight(s) into chasing you, run fast enough so they'll give up their chase and the dragon will roast them as they walk back to their post.

What level are you guys asking for stones? I'll hook you up but I'm deleveling my char to rebuild and I'm like level 68 or so right now, I wont go back to the120s until I l delevel a bit more. But if I'm your range right now then we can meet up.

Grinchy

Banned
I haven't finished up with my platinum yet, but from the time I learned about the soulsuck method, I probably did about 8 runs and a pure BS fell right in front of me. I'm sure now I'll have an issue with some other stones or something since it was so easy.

Rawk Hawk

bone_and_sinew said:
That dragon is a force of indiscriminate destruction. Lure the blue eye knight(s) into chasing you, run fast enough so they'll give up their chase and the dragon will roast them as they walk back to their post.

What level are you guys asking for stones? I'll hook you up but I'm deleveling my char to rebuild and I'm like level 68 or so right now, I wont go back to the120s until I l delevel a bit more. But if I'm your range right now then we can meet up.
Well, if you want to dup some souls and level back up I can delevel you with soulsucker to whatever you need. That way you can hook them up with stones if they want. Either way, my BBS build is 129 and has soulsucker.

brentech

KAOz said:
You know, I've figured that whole thing is somewhat of an in-joke with the developers. See, they made the Bladestone REALLY super-rare, and superhard to find. Then they name it Bladestone. The BS. Now what you are looking for is PURE BS.

I bet it was made as a joke.

I really need one too. :(

And Pure Moonstone, and Pure Darkmoon.
Pure moonstone was one I needed until the other day when I entered from old monk stone and exited the room with all the chairs to kill the crystal lizard. Actually got it with my first try in doing that. Not to say I never killed other crystal lizards throughout 3-2.

I used the anti magic shield so the BP couldn't attack me while I killed the lizard.

bone_and_sinew

Rawk Hawk said:
Well, if you want to dup some souls and level back up I can delevel you with soulsucker to whatever you need. That way you can hook them up with stones if they want. Either way, my BBS build is 129 and has soulsucker.
edit: sure I can do that. Or if anyone who wants the stones has soulsucker themselves and is willing to do it then that's an option as well. I'lll also bring 99 of both spices so the caster won't run out of mp and doesn't have to dip into their own stash either.

I want to pick this up today. I've never been more afraid to start a game than I have with Demon's Souls. So much fucking hype. This better be the best game ever, GAF.

I'm not scared I won't like it as much as being able to finish it. Is it really that hard? I usually play games on normal difficulty. Only time I think I've attempted to complete a game higher than normal was Uncharted 1 and 2 on Crushing. I think I have the skill, I just do not have the patience. <<This game probably isn't for me, is it? lol.

I may rent it and see how it goes.

@__@

gdt

criesofthepast said:
I want to pick this up today. I've never been more afraid to start a game than I have with Demon's Souls. So much fucking hype. This better be the best game ever, GAF.

I'm not scared I won't like it as much as being able to finish it. Is it really that hard? I usually play games on normal difficulty. Only time I think I've attempted to complete a game higher than normal was Uncharted 1 and 2 on Crushing. I think I have the skill, I just do not have the patience. <<This game probably isn't for me, is it? lol.

@__@

It's the patience that counts. If you have that, you'll develop the skills. Stick with it, take your time, and ask GAF/Demon's Souls wiki for advice.

Fox1304

criesofthepast said:

@__@

Demon's soul ain't that hard. The beginning is frustrating because you have to play in a way you're not used to. Not rushing, being aware all the time, walking slowly, instead of bursting through like in most nowaday games.
But when you've learned this, except a few moments, the game is very satisfying.

oracrest

criesofthepast said:

@__@

There are 3 or 4 really hard parts, a few less difficult parts, and some of the best exploration in between.

The fighting system/ camera control is similar to Monster Hunter, if you like that.

Atruvius

I'm thinking of starting a new game. What would be a fun class to start with? I have finished the game once with the soldier class.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Atruvius said:
I'm thinking of starting a new game. What would be a fun class to start with? I have finished the game once with the soldier class.
Royal because of the spell you start with :D?

Atruvius

Yoshichan said:
Royal because of the spell you start with :D?
I tried it when I first bought the game, but it felt too easy to play that class. :D I could just that spell and no one could hit me. That's why I played as a soldier.

MMaRsu

criesofthepast said:

@__@

It is VERY hard imo and I'm only in 1-2 lol. Playing on normal with a hunter class ( not sure why I picked that, I never use a bow or something in this game )

2real4tv

bone_and_sinew said:
That dragon is a force of indiscriminate destruction. Lure the blue eye knight(s) into chasing you, run fast enough so they'll give up their chase and the dragon will roast them as they walk back to their post.What level are you guys asking for stones? I'll hook you up but I'm deleveling my char to rebuild and I'm like level 68 or so right now, I wont go back to the120s until I l delevel a bit more. But if I'm your range right now then we can meet up.

This

KAOz

Short bus special
Fuuuuuuuck the two lizards at 4-3, and fuuuuuuuuck the lizard at 4-2.

I can never get to them. And honestly, I don't have the patience to stand with a bow that does 2 in damage on them. Gnyargh.

oracrest

KAOz said:
Fuuuuuuuck the two lizards at 4-3, and fuuuuuuuuck the lizard at 4-2.

I can never get to them. And honestly, I don't have the patience to stand with a bow that does 2 in damage on them. Gnyargh.

Are you using Thief's ring?

KAOz

Short bus special
oracrest said:
Are you using Thief's ring?

Thief's Ring. Killed myself to be in Soul Form aswell. Tried killing them with bow, took too long. Tried rolling tactic as they don't detect you then. But they are too fast. =/ I NEED to kill them both.

bone_and_sinew

If you're on right now I can give the stones right now. I'm home for a couple hours before I have to leave again.

KAOz

Short bus special
bone_and_sinew said:
If you're on right now I can give the stones right now. I'm home for a couple hours before I have to leave again.

PAL version? And which current level?

I am a bit too high-leveled. XD At 122.

brentech

I'm now over lvl320 and still haven't got a pure bladestone. So overly frustrated at this point that I may just end it here.

Usuually don't care about platinum and such, but I was so close after my first 2 run throughs that I figured I'd get the rest with another 1-2 plays, but the PBS evades me.

Just tries for another 40 min. I now have character and bank full of chunks and shards. So stupid.

brentech

Spoke with Rawk. Decided to create new character and level up a bit. Hopefully be able to get one from someone in order to complete this platinum. Wanted a new character anyway in order to enjoy other aspects....but the search for PBS almost had me give up on the game altogether.

NTSC, let me know if you can get me a PBS and I'll level to that range. Just shooting for lvl 50 ATM.

Rawk Hawk

brentech said:
Spoke with Rawk. Decided to create new character and level up a bit. Hopefully be able to get one from someone in order to complete this platinum. Wanted a new character anyway in order to enjoy other aspects....but the search for PBS almost had me give up on the game altogether.

NTSC, let me know if you can get me a PBS and I'll level to that range. Just shooting for lvl 50 ATM.
Might I suggest checking out the wiki and picking a build around a weapon you like. If you are going to have another character, might as well be one you can PvP with?

Just an idea, not sure how much you liked the PvP.

Rawk Hawk

MMaRsu said:
Holy shiiiiit how do I kill the tower knight?
Haha, he's very intimidating. I've done it two ways:

Method 1:
Rush his legs, when he picks up his shield to ground smash it get behind him and melee his heels. Enough hits will cause him to fall over and you can go crazy. You will certainly take damage with this, used it in later play throughs when I had enough HP to take a few hits.

Method 2:
Used this on my first play through, get a bow and a ton of arrows, rush up the stairs and kill all the archers, then find a spot behind a pillar that you are safe. Zoom in with the bow, strafe to the side, shoot and arrow just as he starts moving his shield to do that blue spear throw attack. After the arrow releases from your bow, move back behind the pillar to safety from the attack. Rinse and repeat.

Those were the only ways I've taken him down.

MMaRsu said:
Holy shiiiiit how do I kill the tower knight?
There are several different ways depending on your build.
Either way, you'll want to take out all the crossbowmen first. If you prefer ranged combat you can target his head from afar, but I usually run between his legs and the slice both his ankles until he falls over.

MMaRsu

Rawk Hawk said:
Haha, he's very intimidating. I've done it two ways:

Method 1:
Rush his legs, when he picks up his shield to ground smash it get behind him and melee his heels. Enough hits will cause him to fall over and you can go crazy. You will certainly take damage with this, used it in later play throughs when I had enough HP to take a few hits.

Method 2:
Used this on my first play through, get a bow and a ton of arrows, rush up the stairs and kill all the archers, then find a spot behind a pillar that you are safe. Zoom in with the bow, strafe to the side, shoot and arrow just as he starts moving his shield to do that blue spear throw attack. After the arrow releases from your bow, move back behind the pillar to safety from the attack. Rinse and repeat.

Those were the only ways I've taken him down.

Thanks for the help man :)

The first thing I did was take out all the archers, those guys are annoying and easy to kill. Right now I have about 20% of his health down because I had some turpentine left and started slashing his ankles. Going back in right now to hopefully finish the job.

WTF NOOOOOOOO I DIED :(

Fuck man I think I'm done with this game. It's just too hard. :(
I mean, I'm back on my way to the damn Tower Knight, and I get killed by a blue knight who stabs me in the back while I'm trying to get the dragon to fire his ass up.

Lost a bunch of herbs trying to get back to the Tower Knight, now how the hell am I supposed to kill him without any herbs? He killed me the last time in one damn hit while I was being careful!

brentech

Rawk Hawk said:
Might I suggest checking out the wiki and picking a build around a weapon you like. If you are going to have another character, might as well be one you can PvP with?

Just an idea, not sure how much you liked the PvP.
Went with barbarian. Just completed a speed run of 1-1. Probably go to 1-2 the. Some other worlds that I can kick out real fast.
I just love the tower knight fight.

Onagi

Banned
I need to learn to be afraid of the dark. I always die when I go in some dark area and something leaps out at me and kills me. I was pretty deep into 1-1, kicking ass, taking names, and then BAM!

I'm on fire, then dead.

Rawk Hawk

MMaRsu said:
Thanks for the help man :)

The first thing I did was take out all the archers, those guys are annoying and easy to kill. Right now I have about 20% of his health down because I had some turpentine left and started slashing his ankles. Going back in right now to hopefully finish the job.

WTF NOOOOOOOO I DIED :(

I mean, I'm back on my way to the damn Tower Knight, and I get killed by a blue knight who stabs me in the back while I'm trying to get the dragon to fire his ass up.

Lost a bunch of herbs trying to get back to the Tower Knight, now how the hell am I supposed to kill him without any herbs? He killed me the last time in one damn hit while I was being careful!
You can always try a different level, should should have access to all the first worlds now. Maybe one of the other ones will be easier for you. Give you a chance to get some souls, items and levels that will help you.

Also, try putting down your blue phantom sign, maybe someone else will grab you. I learned a lot just joining other peoples games and following them around.

oracrest

MMaRsu said:

This part was a bottleneck for me too. You get past the dragon rush, and the blue eyed knights, which is pretty difficult, then the boss battle is hard.

Here's how it will go down:

You try over and over and over, die a bunch, and want to throw your controller at the wall. The next day, you fire it up, and kill him on your first run.

:)

Rawk Hawk

Well, I don't have a ton of time to play this weekend I don't think, but I'm in the mood to make a new build, thinking a NR VIT build. Not sure I like the NR, but just think having a build with VIT around 80 would be cool.

brentech

As I just started a new char and was blitzing through the level, my hits on him were weak and I died in tower knight twice myself.
Long time since I killed him without a good weapon.

So, I kind of found myself taking a bit of damage every now and then, and just running up into a corner and eating grass. Then running back down and walking between the legs and going back at it.
Luckily once he is downed and you run up to his head, he still takes an assload of damage if you 2 hand your weapon.

Anyways, after that I quickly accepted a blue stone marker and completed 2-1 as well.

If anyone has a pure bladestone they can give, or just let me hold a +5 sharp weapon it would be greatly appreciated. Let me know what level you are and I will bust my way to it.

Top Bottom