• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

patsu

MMaRsu said:
It is VERY hard imo and I'm only in 1-2 lol. Playing on normal with a hunter class ( not sure why I picked that, I never use a bow or something in this game )

Oh crap, a bow is a gift from God in this game. You can beat the tower knight and a few early bosses from far with the bow. In my first playthrough I beat it using just soul arrow.

If you want to go melee only, try other bosses first. Then come back to clear 1-2, 1-3 and 1-4 later. 2-1, 3-1 and 4-1 are all interesting. 5-1 is more depressing than 1-2.

EDIT: You should build a Sticky Compound Long Bow + 5 and upgrade your dexterity. It's the strongest bow in the game.

MMaRsu

patsu said:
Oh crap, a bow is a gift from God in this game. You can beat the tower knight and a few early bosses from far with the bow. In my first playthrough I beat it using just soul arrow.

If you want to go melee only, try other bosses first. Then come back to clear 1-2, 1-3 and 1-4 later. 2-1, 3-1 and 4-1 are all interesting. 5-1 is more depressing than 1-2.

EDIT: You should build a Sticky Compound Long Bow + 5 and upgrade your dexterity. It's the strongest bow in the game.

OWWWWWWWW YEA

Just beat the Tower Knight by going melee on his ass :D. I leveled up a bit, then ran through the entire 1-1 to 1-3 again and I killed the lot of them, got massive amounts of souls and upgraded my Scimitar, shield and my character himself.

Dude didn't stand a chance!

I also bought plate armor, but now I can't roll around gently anymore? Dude falls flat on his face when he tries to roll :p.

MMaRsu

Kyleripman said:
Yeah, rolling is going to be crucial as you get further.

Yeah I noticed, so is there a way I can upgrade my character to be able to wear complete plate set and roll around like decently?

RyanDG

MMaRsu said:
Yeah I noticed, so is there a way I can upgrade my character to be able to wear complete plate set and roll around like decently?

Yes. Both if you uprade your endurance signficantly or wear the ring that ups your equip burden.

Never finished this game. Heading out right now to get another copy. I was foolish for ever getting rid of this game. You all got me pumped to play it again! :)

test_account

XP-39C²
MMaRsu said:
Yep, i belive strength upgrade fixes this.

EDIT: Already answered :)

gdt

MMaRsu said:

There's a ring you can get that will raise you equip burden. But that's taking up a valuable slot. Mix and match armor to get your desired weight. Movement>heavy armor.

patsu

MMaRsu said:
OWWWWWWWW YEA

Just beat the Tower Knight by going melee on his ass :D. I leveled up a bit, then ran through the entire 1-1 to 1-3 again and I killed the lot of them, got massive amounts of souls and upgraded my Scimitar, shield and my character himself.

Dude didn't stand a chance!

I also bought plate armor, but now I can't roll around gently anymore? Dude falls flat on his face when he tries to roll :p.

Should still build a good bow. It will come in handy later.

MMaRsu

gdt5016 said:
There's a ring you can get that will raise you equip burden. But that's taking up a valuable slot. Mix and match armor to get your desired weight. Movement>heavy armor.

Heh, thanks for all the replies guys :).

Right now I have five rings :

Strenth
Flame R.
Gash R.
Poison R.
Cling Ring

And right now I have the Cling Ring and Strenth equipped. Also a full plate set and a Scimitar +3, Winged Spear +1 and a Soldiers Shield +4.

I'll mix and match rings when I need them, don't want to go mixing and matching clothes because that'll seriously lower my defense.

Building a good bow.. well I have a long bow, and a whole bunch of different stones. What is the best way to go about building a good bow?

patsu

You need Spider stones, I think that's what they are called. Your bow will scale with your dexterity. You also need a compound long bow. There is one in 4-1.

But before that I think you need to retrieve the thief ring. It's one of the most important items in the game.

Btw, you know you can use the bow in first person view right ?

MMaRsu

patsu said:
You need Spider stones, I think that's what they are called. Your bow will scale with your dexterity. You also need a compound long bow. There is one in 4-1.

But before that I think you need to retrieve the thief ring. It's one of the most important items in the game.

Btw, you know you can use the bow in first person view right ?

Any idea how you can get some more white sticky stuff? I want to finish off the spider boss in 2-1, but I can't do it on my own.

And do drops respawn if you restart the game? Like stuff from soldiers lying around?

If not, what is a good place to grind souls at an early level to buy herbs? I didn't come across a single herb in 2-1 that's why I'm asking..

Rawk Hawk

MMaRsu said:
Any idea how you can get some more white sticky stuff? I want to finish off the spider boss in 2-1, but I can't do it on my own.

And do drops respawn if you restart the game? Like stuff from soldiers lying around?

If not, what is a good place to grind souls at an early level to buy herbs? I didn't come across a single herb in 2-1 that's why I'm asking..
World 4 is generally the best for both of these from what I remember. Souls for sure, there are good spots in all of the shrine of storms to farm souls. Sticky White Stuff if I remember correctly is dropped off lots of monsters towards the end of 4-2. Although you might be able to find a merchant who can sell them. I'd have to look into on the wiki, but I feel like you can buy them from someone.

Another good PvE idea is to use Moon or Crescent weapons, as the magic boost tends to help with more PvE mobs. I know the crescent weapon found in 4-1 killed more enemies for me than any other weapon I've made. You get the magic bonus, without the sticky white stuff.

oracrest

MMaRsu said:

Generally, you'll want to have the best armor that you can still roll fast in. I beat the game first without even knowing I was encumbered, but looking back, I have no idea how I did it.

If you don't use bows that often, you can unequip your secondary weapon to help with equip weight.

KAOz

Short bus special
Okey, hate to do this, but I am getting quite frustrated.

But is there anyone with a PAL version who wants to throw me a Pure Bladestone? Been farming for a few days. Yesterday I reached 5 million souls. On that little stretch alone.

So, any PALer who can do it with a level 136? :(

Abylim

Ok, I've beat DS twice now, but I want more.
I lost my saves, thanks to my ps3 crashing about 5 months ago.

I have yet to play an Archer, any advice on builds? I've gone through as a mage, than a melee, really enoyed the mage more I think. Which is odd, I usually love melee'ing shit in the face.

I love this game, but the idea of going through it again is abit daunting.

Rawk Hawk

Genjikage said:

I have yet to play an Archer, any advice on builds? I've gone through as a mage, than a melee, really enoyed the mage more I think. Which is odd, I usually love melee'ing shit in the face.

If you are interested in PvP, I would just make a DEX build. Since DEX mods bows, you could go through PvE as a bow user, and then PvP with katanas or other sharp weapons.

patsu

Rawk Hawk said:
World 4 is generally the best for both of these from what I remember. Souls for sure, there are good spots in all of the shrine of storms to farm souls. Sticky White Stuff if I remember correctly is dropped off lots of monsters towards the end of 4-2. Although you might be able to find a merchant who can sell them. I'd have to look into on the wiki, but I feel like you can buy them from someone.

Another good PvE idea is to use Moon or Crescent weapons, as the magic boost tends to help with more PvE mobs. I know the crescent weapon found in 4-1 killed more enemies for me than any other weapon I've made. You get the magic bonus, without the sticky white stuff.

Yap, world 4 is best for leveling up. But he needs a thief ring before venturing too far in.

He can get the compound long bow and the crescent falchion early in 4-1.

patsu

Genjikage said:

Upgrade dexterity, but I don't know how to beat flameluker and maneater with a bow.

Atruvius

I've made a mage out of my royalty and I have three spells: soul arrow, flame toss and fire spray. Fire spray is pretty bad. What spell should I buy, fire ball or fire storm when I get Yuria to Nexus? Is soul ray any good?

MMaRsu

patsu said:
Yap, world 4 is best for leveling up. But he needs a thief ring before venturing too far in.

He can get the compound long bow and the crescent falchion early in 4-1.

Where exactly? The two bridges that lead to treasure in 4-1 broke off probably because I was too heavy?

Atruvius

MMaRsu said:
Where exactly? The two bridges that lead to treasure in 4-1 broke off probably because I was too heavy?
You can get the Crecent falcion from the where the red skeleton. It's on the right side of the skeleton.

Crackers

Neo Member
MMaRsu said:

Near the start, where there's the large arch way with the two archers above and the mini-boss in the area after the arch, turn left in the arch, be careful of the trap on the floor, then go outside, there's a black skeleton. The sword is next to the skeleton.

MMaRsu

Wait is 4-1 the one that starts with the rolling enemy?

Because I haven't gotten any further than the second rolling enemy in that level LOL.

Those guys are a pain..

KPJZKC

I think most people get splattered by the rolling enemies in world four the first time they encounter them...

It really just requires a degree of blocking and dodging until your strength is high enough to one or two hit them! Keep at it :D

Zoe

Atruvius said:
I've made a mage out of my royalty and I have three spells: soul arrow, flame toss and fire spray. Fire spray is pretty bad. What spell should I buy, fire ball or fire storm when I get Yuria to Nexus? Is soul ray any good?

Firestorm, definitely. I'm pretty dependent on Soul Ray too.

Crackers

Neo Member
MMaRsu said:

Because I haven't gotten any further than the second rolling enemy in that level LOL.

Those guys are a pain..

Yeah, that's the one. Hmmm... that black skeleton is a lot tougher than the first ones which roll at you. Maybe do some levelling up / upgrade your main weapon first.

Dak'kon

MMaRsu said:

Those guys are a pain..

You really should wear a Thief's Ring, that way you can fight them one at a time without much of a problem. That's why it's been mentioned that a low equip weight is better than having >50% equip weight but with high defense. You should always sacrifice defense if it means you rolling faster IMO (and without wasting a ring slot on a Ring of Great Strength).

The skeletons are fairly easy to beat if you have high stamina and a good shield. Assuming you have high enough stamina to block all their attacks (bar the giant slash down with the long wind up) then you can have your shield up all the time, wait for their attack to bounce off you and then counterattack. If you see them do the long wind up then roll directly back, wait for the attack and then move in to attack. And remember that your stamina regenerates MUCH faster when your shield is down, so after blocking and then attacking remember to put your shield down until you've got full stamina or until the skeleton is right up in your face again. Oh and the skeletons on the stairs - if you're on the stairs with them then 90% of the time they seem to do the long wind up attack, so it's easy to beat them - assuming you don't get stuck fighting two of them at once (Thief's Ring!)

Of course soul ray totally destroys them but you seem to be going melee.

gdt

Yeah. Put up your shield, wait till they're done attacking, then unleash the fury.

After you get the Adjucator Shield, they become a piece of cake.

Seconding Firestorm, though it's the only one of the three that I tried.

Firestorm and Second Chance were the most valuable spells/miracles for me.

Huggy

I'm playing the game right now (lent it from a friend), but how do you get the game more manageable at the beginning? My character isn't leveling up at all.

Orayn

Huggy said:
I'm playing the game right now (lent it from a friend), but how do you get the game more manageable at the beginning? My character isn't leveling up at all.
You need to spend the souls you acquire at the Maiden In Black to improve your stats. Which area are you on right now?

KPJZKC

You don't "level up" like you do in a traditional RPG. You're stuck with default stats until you best the first boss (if I recall correctly). Unfortunately you WILL get the crap knocked out of you until you take him down and start leveling (you use the souls you collect to "purchase" stat increases back in the hub).

Even afterwards, you'll get killed a lot, but you'll REALLY get killed in that first mission. Just be careful, and if you have serious difficulty with the first boss, feel free to fire bomb him into oblivion!

oracrest

Huggy said:

You can start leveling once you beat the first level, talk to the Maiden in Black in the Nexus and follow her instructions.

Level 1 should be alright to finish at your level, but be patient, and
disregard the red eyed knight for now, you should come back to this later.

Owensboro

Genjikage said:

I'm in the same boat! Got a YLOD last month and had to send my PS3 in for repairs. There is nothing worse then losing so many hours of progress (New Game ++). I honestly can't wait for the downtime required to go through the game again. This time I plan on trying to get the perfect trophy run (to grab the ones I missed). I would kill to find someone to drop certain weapons for me though. Stupid Pure Bladestones.

Huggy

I see. The only teleport to the Nexus is at the beginning, so I have to collect souls and then backtrack? It's kind of hard to play the game if you constantly start over from scratch with limited gaming time.

Canova

Banned
Huggy said:
I see. The only teleport to the Nexus is at the beginning, so I have to collect souls and then backtrack? It's kind of hard to play the game if you constantly start over from scratch with limited gaming time.

After you beat 1-1 boss (not the tutorial), go back to Nexus and talk to Maiden in Black, then you can level up.

but if you die, then you start from the beginning of that level

However, there are shortcuts throughout the level that you can activate

Facism

Huggy said:

Nope, you have to beat the boss in 1-1 before you're able to level up. Another archstone will be available after you defeat it and get it's soul. You'll open shortcuts throughout the level, and by the time you open the gate to the boss, whenever you die, you'll literally have a 30 second walk to the boss room. Means you'll be able to pick up your lost souls easily enough if you die :D

[edit]dammit canova :D

DangerStepp

Just got the Greatest Hits version from Amazon (complete with OST) for $16 last week. I started it up this past Friday and OH MY GOD!
It's just as amazing as everyone claimed--GAF hype has been vindicated once again. I'm addicted to hacking my way through every level knowing that my doom lurks just around the corner. I love the lack of hand holding and the sense of discovery I feel; like swimming without floaties for the first time.

For some reason, its style feels very similar to Shadow of the Colossus/Ico to me.

I'll be playing this for a very long time.

oracrest

Huggy said:

Yeah, at first, only 1-1 is playable until you defeat that level.

Here's a general breakdown of how the game flows:

-Even though enemies respawn, many things are permanent once you do them once, such as opening gates, and activating mechanisms in the level. These generally unlock shortcuts, so that you can get to the area you need to faster from the beginning.

-Soul anxiety is something of a non-issue. You are either farming to gain another level, which is never more than 15 minutes of gameplay time if that's what your focusing on, or exploring further into a level. In this case, don't even consider souls, just focus on learning the level. If you die, don't worry. Just make sure to level up when you get enough souls to do so, even if it means going back to the Nexus when you are deep into a level. The main reason you die and lose souls is when you get too confident, and expect "to probably live against whatever is around this next corner that I have never been to..."

-There is something of a learning curve to the combat, especially in this age of fast-as-possible combat systems. Once the game "clicks" it becomes incredibly enjoyable. Most people seem to give up before that point, around 2/3 levels in usually.

thorin

oracrest said:
Once the game "clicks" it becomes incredibly enjoyable. Most people seem to give up before that point, around 2/3 levels in usually.

This is totally me. I bought the game a year ago, got stuck at 2-2 and gave up. Then a year later I gave it another shot and things just clicked.

Now I have a backlog of games I haven't opened, cause I keep starting new characters in Demon's Souls. This game is crack.

Orayn

Huggy said:
The end of each "level" has an archstone that serves as a checkpoint and let's you teleport back to the Nexus.

KAOz

Short bus special
Backfoggen said:
98% completion... I'm going to have to farm Pure Bladestone now, don't I? :/

Unless you can find someone to trade with.

Like I am doing, but it seems half-impossible.

maniac-kun said:
Finally i made it through world 1-1 ;_; It only took me 4 hours.

Nice, now is when "Demon Souls" truly starts!.

(AKA, if you think 1-1 was hard, get ready to get anal rapped).

PD:I recommend you 2-1 or 1-2, because 3-1 have a pretty nasty face-tentacle guys that can be hard,4-1 is definetly a NO until you gained a few levels and 5-1 can be quite frustrating IMO.

Dak'kon

KAOz said:
Unless you can find someone to trade with.

Like I am doing, but it seems half-impossible.

Do you actually want a PBS or would you be happy just to hold a +5 Sharp weapon to get the trophy? If it's the latter I'm happy to help. You said you were SL122 on EU, right?

After only like 1 1/2 hours of farming..

VOf2l.jpg

ZT5kl.png

No Large Sword of Searching or something, low luck.. it's just totally random.

Top Bottom