• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

gdt

blizeH said:
Absolutely lost count of the amount of times I've killed the enemies running up the stairs, ran past the archer whilst launching myself at two enemies, and proceeded up the various wooden stairs only to be met with impending death now.

Really, really hoping that the second game has a much easier difficulty, whilst still retaining the more difficult option for you guys who can appreciate and enjoy the challenge, just really isn't for me unfortunately which is such a shame, as just when I feel I'm getting somewhere and actually achieving something, I'm straight back to square one again...

Seems you're running through instead of taking your time. Most of my deaths in DS were from being too cocky.

"Oh, I've beaten this part of the level before, I can just blaze my way right through---AREDFGASDSFGSAFSGSGF".

Gotta take your time, and be careful.

Jo-El

I wouldn't say I'm very good at games like this, but I still managed to complete it with probably around 20-30 deaths total (Not counting suicides in the nexus so I could stay in soul form). NG+ seems to be a much greater challenge so far.

Rawk Hawk

Anyone use a STR/Crushing Great Axe build? I only have a BBS one now, but thinking about making one of these this weekend, just curious thoughts on it. Most of my deaths in PvP seem to be to these builds, so thought I'd give it a shot myself.

oracrest

I tried a bit of NG+ with my level 1 the other day.

FUCK! It's hard as nuts. Even in the first level, a lot of characters can one hit me. It takes great patience. I can't imagine defeating Maneater or Flamelurker though. Every other boss I feel confident enough killing perfectly.

Acquiesc3

Banned
Strength builds are really great. Cursed Crushing Claymore +5 or Great Axe are absolutely insane. I use those two since DBS takes some really getting used to for me.

I'm more of a dex guy anyway.

Rawk Hawk

Acquiesc3 said:
Strength builds are really great. Cursed Crushing Claymore +5 or Great Axe are absolutely insane. I use those two since DBS takes some really getting used to for me.

I'm more of a dex guy anyway.
I'll probably be around a little bit tonight, although might be helping a friend with some levels, but yea thinking about trying out a STR build. I actually read up on duping items, never done it, but might give it a try on souls to help speed things along. From what I've read you can do it with stockpile thomas now, so hopefully that works out, lol.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Self-duping with Boldwin/Thomas/evacuate trick absolutely works, I tried it. It works on everything except weapons and armor. I usually feel dirty having to resort to it but I'm fucking fed up with grinding/farming for hours without getting jack shit in return.

If you still need Pure Faintstone and Cloud chunks I'll give you some if you let me hold a sharp +5 weapon.

Rawk Hawk

bone_and_sinew said:
Self-duping with Boldwin/Thomas/evacuate trick absolutely works, I tried it. It works on everything except weapons and armor. I usually feel dirty having to resort to it but I'm fucking fed up with grinding/farming for hours without getting jack shit in return.

If you still need Pure Faintstone and Cloud chunks I'll give you some if you let me hold a sharp +5 weapon.
Sure, well I might end up with the items I need, but I can let you hold my sharp weapon anyway.

Started NG+ today, played up to the Tower Knight who was able to one-hit me most times (thank God for Second Chance). Ended up finishing him off with arrows from the balcony, even though I melee'd him the first time around.

bone_and_sinew said:
Self-duping with Boldwin/Thomas/evacuate trick absolutely works, I tried it.

What is this?

RiverBed

Banned
Okay, the game is too frustrating for me to continue and I am at the first level and couldn't even reach the roof of the castle! (about 30 min. in or so I die).
I can't touch this game, but I love to see the art work and design of the rest of the game I payed full price to enjoy! I don't want to sell it just wait without seeing 99% of my purchase!
Fucking stupid industry with its locks on customers!

So, are there ANY cheat codes out there or anything? Forget about 'enjoying' the game because that's not happening now. I want to blaze through the game listening to the various soundtracks, seeing the end bosses and walking around the eerie environment before I sell the game to buy another game.

This explains my frustration perfectly with this game specifically and with the industry as a whole:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKIiUsbOO24

RiverBed said:
Okay, the game is too frustrating for me to continue and I am at the first level and couldn't even reach the roof of the castle! (about 30 min. in or so I die).
I can't touch this game, but I love to see the art work and design of the rest of the game I payed full price to enjoy! I don't want to sell it just wait without seeing 99% of my purchase!

So, are there ANY cheat codes out there or anything? Forget about 'enjoying' the game because that's not happening now. I want to blaze through the game listening to the various soundtracks, seeing the end bosses and walking around the eerie environment before I sell the game to buy another game.

play as the royalty character class and shoot everything with magic. Be patient and wait for mana to regen, that may be your only option if you aren't willing to practice and get good at playing the game.

RiverBed

Banned
BioGenesis said:
play as the royalty character class and shoot everything with magic. Be patient and wait for mana to regen, that may be your only option if you aren't willing to practice and get good at playing the game.
It isn't the difficulty itself- that is hard enough- but it is the frustrating design of it- which is typical Japanese, by the way. Like having to start all over again, like having confusing menus, like having everything vague and not knowing what you're doing most of the time.

A game like DMC or GoW is challenging in a fun way. A game like DS (other examples are like Ninja Gaiden) are frustrating by design. But that's another topic.

Fuck, I ONLY bought the game solely for the art direction alone.

oracrest

RiverBed said:
It isn't the difficulty itself- that is hard enough- but it is the frustrating design of it- which is typical Japanese, by the way. Like having to start all over again, like having confusing menus, like having everything vague and not knowing what you're doing most of the time.

A game like DMC or GoW is challenging in a fun way. A game like DS (other examples are like Ninja Gaiden) are frustrating by design. But that's another topic.

Fuck, I ONLY bought the game solely for the art direction alone.

If the ambiguity is getting to you, then head to the wiki for some answers. Also, give it time to get used to the combat timing.

RyanDG

RiverBed said:

This explains my frustration perfectly with this game specifically and with the industry as a whole:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKIiUsbOO24

I understand that this game may feel frustrating - especially if you are more used to games that elect to hold a gamer's hand throughout the experience - but if you don't mind me asking, where exactly are you having problems? The thing about world 1-1, is that it is essentially a slow build up for the game... It's about learning how to take your time, learn from your deaths, and understanding the mechanics of the combat engine.

The biggest thing about Demon's Souls is to learn two things in the opening level: #1 - go as slow as necessary. There are no time limits. There is no rush. And there is no reason to jump ahead without really analyzing the situation. Patience is extremely important. And #2 - understand that this isn't a typical third person action game from the perspective of the combat engine. It is extremely important not to try to play this like god of war or devil may cry or ninja gaiden. Timing here is much more important and early on, learning how to be defensive is going to be far more important than offensive...

YEAH BUDDY.
dsouls_plat.jpg

RiverBed

Banned
Rabbitwork said:
YEAH BUDDY.
http://www.johnrabbit.com/dsouls_plat.jpg[/QUOTE]
Wow, you aren't human!
I don't know what trophies does the game have, but if it is that difficult out of the game, I can only imagine the trophies are a bitch to get.

Kudos to your gaming skills and patience. :)

bucklam66

It took me 4 and a half hours to beat 1-1, now I can fly through it in 3 minuets, this game just takes patience and repetition and that may not be enjoyable to some people. Always have your shield up, wait for those zombies to hulk out before attacking them, and learn to dodge/roll out of the way.

Risk Breaker said:
Goddamn I love this game's intro.

I'm rolling out my second character (NG+ is tooo hard), a female Barbarian... can you help me make her hot? :D

I used to roll a hot female mage, took me hours to make her look good.

Rawk Hawk

Nakiro

Does anyone have spare monk's head wrapping? I'm around level 180 and I can't really get into any matches. Or just help me get it through boss fight.

Gaaraz

Jo-El said:
I wouldn't say I'm very good at games like this, but I still managed to complete it with probably around 20-30 deaths total (Not counting suicides in the nexus so I could stay in soul form). NG+ seems to be a much greater challenge so far.
I've died more than that just on the first level. I'm out :/

Aguirre

oracrest said:
I tried a bit of NG+ with my level 1 the other day.

FUCK! It's hard as nuts. Even in the first level, a lot of characters can one hit me. It takes great patience. I can't imagine defeating Maneater or Flamelurker though. Every other boss I feel confident enough killing perfectly.

I had to do a bit of grinding when first played NG+, really helped until the place I was grinding eventually wasn't giving me enough XP.

Hanmik

Have just traded my copy of dead Space 2 to Batman Arkham Asylum and Demons Soul´s Black Phantom Editon.. so I had to read this crazy thread for this (supposedly) awesome game..

But I keep reading about NA Servers closing some time (october 2011 at the moment).. what does this mean for a player..? is the game unplayable when they turn off the servers, or what will happen when the servers close..?
And is this only for NA.. because I am from Europe.. what is the situation for us..?

btw.: I have not played the game yet, just been jerking off to the beautiful artwork in the Phantom Edition.. ;o) (got to finish Batman first)

Onagi

Banned
Jo-El said:

If you're not very good then I am downright dreadful. I've died at least 30 times and I've only managed to defeat Phalanx so far.

Rawk Hawk

Aguirre said:
I had to do a bit of grinding when first played NG+, really helped until the place I was grinding eventually wasn't giving me enough XP.
I believe he is actually doing it as SL1.

Hanmik said:
Have just traded my copy of dead Space 2 to Batman Arkham Asylum and Demons Soul´s Black Phantom Editon.. so I had to read this crazy thread for this (supposedly) awesome game..

But I keep reading about NA Servers closing some time (october 2011 at the moment).. what does this mean for a player..? is the game unplayable when they turn off the servers, or what will happen when the servers close..?
And is this only for NA.. because I am from Europe.. what is the situation for us..?

btw.: I have not played the game yet, just been jerking off to the beautiful artwork in the Phantom Edition.. ;o) (got to finish Batman first)
Once the servers are down you will just need to play the game in offline mode. No more bloodstains, messages or invading basically. Other than that, the game will still be available to play through single player.

Aguirre

Rawk Hawk said:

Once the servers are down you will just need to play the game in offline mode. No more bloodstains, messages or invading basically. Other than that, the game will still be available to play through single player.

I'll really miss the signs of other players. It really adds atmosphere and makes you think "I'm not the only person struggling here".

Onagi

Banned
How important/useful is it to learn how to use parry and riposte? I practiced a little in 1-1, but haven't really gotten it down yet. It seems to do quite a bit of damage, but I'm worried it might be too dangerous or just stop working later on in the game. If that is the case then I don't really want to put the time into practicing it.

Hanmik

Rawk Hawk said:

ok thanks for the answer.. as I said I have not found the time to play the game yet. So I have no idea to what the online portions of this game are. Now I am a little bit wiser. And now I know that i should play it sooner than later, because the online things sound cool.
But will the EU servers also close at some time..? I know the game launched a lot later here, so maybe they will stay open for longer.

kvn

Hanmik said:

You can play the game offline perfectly fine. The things that will be missing are PvP/Coop, messages and bloodstains left by players. They are not necessary to finish the game.

/edit:
beaten

thorin

Onagi said:
How important/useful is it to learn how to use parry and riposte? I practiced a little in 1-1, but haven't really gotten it down yet. It seems to do quite a bit of damage, but I'm worried it might be too dangerous or just stop working later on in the game. If that is the case then I don't really want to put the time into practicing it.
I just about wrapped up a melee playthrough yesterday, and I didn't use parry/riposte at all.
I prefer to counter blocked attacks, or bait opportunities to use the R2 attack.

So no, it's not something you need. But if you ever get your hands on a dragon sword, you should try doing at least one riposte with it to see how badass it looks.

Acquiesc3

Banned
You don't need to learn parry/riposte at all to beat the game. But it's incredibly fun and pretty useful once you have it down.

It's a different story in PvP. Any decent player should know how to properly parry/riposte by now.

brentech

Finished up NG++ today and started NG+3

In doing so, I finished up my unique weapons trophy. It would seem I probably could have had it earlier, but always tried getting the Dragon Bone Smasher from the wrong side..felt so stupid.

As far as I can tell, I'm only missing the "friend's ring". Was neutral at the start and have killed 4/5 BPs. Just need to get to 5-2 and kill Selen. I also need to get lucky on a pure bladestone, so that might be my holdup.

bone_and_sinew

Finally got a pure bladestone to drop from the hidden passage black skeleton after another 2-3 hours of trying! I am never farming anything ever again in this game.

Aguirre

bone_and_sinew said:
Finally got a pure bladestone to drop from the hidden passage black skeleton after another 2-3 hours of trying! I am never farming anything ever again in this game.

You say that now...

I've just been playing the game over and over pretending to myself that I'm not farming.

KAOz

Short bus special
Holy shit, I love this game.

Have to say though, finding a Pure Darkmoonstone is hell though. Have used up the Crystal Lizards at 4-4. Then saw that one could drop it at 4-2. Make it Pure Black, and Lizard runs underneath a fucking Primeval Demon.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

I only need that one Pure aswell to fully upgrade my Crescent Weapon. Damnit.

bone_and_sinew

Use the xmb quit method. Kill a Lizard, press x to view the item but DON'T press x again to pick up the item since the game auto-saves when you pick up something. Don't do anything to make the pop-up disappear. Instead quit from the xmb, reload and the lizard will be alive again and you'll be at the last spot the game saved.

3-2 and 3-3 lizards drop pure darkmoonstone. I got mine from 3-2. Of course it took me like 10 reloads even with Pure Black world and Large Sword of Searching equipped and getting to those lizards is a bit annoying. Still, nowhere near as bad as farming for pure bladestone.

ultron87

What effect is it that players have that makes all my weapons seem to instantly break when I attack some people as a Black Phantom?

oracrest

bone_and_sinew said:
Use the xmb quit method. Kill a Lizard, press x to view the item but DON'T press x again to pick up the item since the game auto-saves when you pick up something. Don't do anything to make the pop-up disappear. Instead quit from the xmb, reload and the lizard will be alive again and you'll be at the last spot the game saved.

well hot damn, that's a neat trick.

Rawk Hawk

Yea that's pretty slick, wish I knew that when I needed these before lol.

Been leaning towards Pokemon Black and FFXIV lately, but if anyone wants to PvP or Co-op, let me know. I actually was thinking about making a new build, a NR VIT build. But either way, anyone who needs help or wants to fight a little let me know.

That Stockpile Thomas dupe is amusing. Stones, souls, arrows, consumables and possible to learn all spells on the first playthrough. 5 million souls at sl 55 lol.

brentech

zerokoolpsx said:
That Stockpile Thomas dupe is amusing. Stones, souls, arrows, consumables and possible to learn all spells on the first playthrough. 5 million souls at sl 55 lol.
And yet with 160hr played, I still can't get a pure bladestone. Bout to pull my hair out.

MMaRsu

Maaaaaaaaaan this game man... Fuck it

Bought this shit cause GAF said it was teh greatest game ever.. so yea

After a pretty great opening, 1-1 came rolling around. And to be honest I've been fucking around in that dungeon for about 4-5 hours now. Beat the Phalanx, but right now I'm trying to cross this motherfucking bridge. It's bad enough I have to worry about that fucking dragon taking ALL but 1 sliver of my health away, making me spend herbs on that shit I should be saving for battle.

Every goddamn time I get to the end of that fucking bridge, the two badass dude's just wipe me the fuck out. I'm dodging like a mofo and I still get wasted. I swear to god getting killed 6 times in the same spot is pissing me the fuck off.

params7

Banned
MMaRsu said:
Maaaaaaaaaan this game sucks ass

Bought this shit cause GAF said it was teh greatest game ever.. so yea

After a pretty great opening, 1-1 came rolling around. And to be honest I've been fucking around in that dungeon for about 4-5 hours now. Beat the Phalanx, but right now I'm trying to cross this motherfucking bridge. It's bad enough I have to worry about that fucking dragon taking ALL but 1 sliver of my health away, making me spend herbs on that shit I should be saving for battle.

Every goddamn time I get to the end of that fucking bridge, the two badass dude's just wipe me the fuck out. I'm dodging like a mofo and I still get wasted. I swear to god getting killed 6 times in the same spot is pissing me the fuck off.

Watch a video walkthrough. I beat the game and don't even remember what you're talking about.

MMaRsu

params7 said:
Watch a video walkthrough. I beat the game and don't even remember what you're talking about.

I don't want to watch a video walkthrough lol, haven't done that since the days of Monkey Island.

in 1-1, after you beat the phalanx boss. You have to traverse a castle wall, and the red dragon is constantly breathing fire down upon it. I have the timing down for the first two runs but it's still annoying as shit.

Then I get to the last damn part of the wall, and there are 4 archers and 2 heavy warriors there waiting for me. I'm trying my best to beat these guys, but goddamnit I get killed everytime. When I'm using a damn herb or when I'm trying to parry.

Died 5/6 times in a row in the same freaking spot. SO ANNOYING.

Lumine

There's a sprint button in case you haven't realised it yet. I think you can easily avoid its breath if I remember correctly. Also once you have beaten the phalanx boss it might be a good idea to head back to the nexus. You can upgrade some stuff for example and try some other area's like 2-1.

KAOz

Short bus special
MMaRsu said:
I don't want to watch a video walkthrough lol, haven't done that since the days of Monkey Island.

in 1-1, after you beat the phalanx boss. You have to traverse a castle wall, and the red dragon is constantly breathing fire down upon it. I have the timing down for the first two runs but it's still annoying as shit.

Then I get to the last damn part of the wall, and there are 4 archers and 2 heavy warriors there waiting for me. I'm trying my best to beat these guys, but goddamnit I get killed everytime. When I'm using a damn herb or when I'm trying to parry.

Died 5/6 times in a row in the same freaking spot. SO ANNOYING.

That's not 1-1. That's 1-2 acctually. And, if you run for the first tower, then go down the stairs, you should be able to traverse the whole thing using underground passages. You don't need to step out on that bridge, until the very end.

Top Bottom