• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Rawk Hawk

Help Me! said:
Edag: Nope. I bought the game + soundtrack for $16 when just the game was $20.

Is it better to use the souls as you acquire them...or save 'em up? I worry about the twice-death of soul depletion. I would hate to lose 1000+ souls.
Spend 'em if you got 'em. Once you open up certain areas there are means of farming as many souls as you need, so saving them up isn't super important.

Sleepy

Zoe said:
lol

You must still be early in the game...

Just finished 1-1...took me forever.

Thanks for the info, Rawk. What about saving the found Hero's Demon's Souls? Trade 'em in or wait?

Rawk Hawk

Made my NR VIT build, kind of played off the wiki's version but took it to a higher level. Soul level 136 (for hosting only, obviously)

VIT: 99
INT: 14
END: 40
STR: 14
DEX: 14
MAG: 12
FTH: 16
LCK: 7

Was at 132, and Faith 12, but ended up bumping it up so I could use Second Chance, I like that more than warding. I know the NR builds are generally get to hyper mode and use dull rat ring and warding to stay there, but I prefer second chance.. Anyway, I'll be roaming around 4-1 in body form is anyone wants to battle some or be my blue minions.

My other choice was less VIT and maybe more END, but in the end, I think it's pretty fun to have a lv99 stat.

Rawk Hawk

Help Me! said:

Thanks for the info, Rawk. What about saving the found Hero's Demon's Souls? Trade 'em in or wait?
The souls you find that add to your soul pool, unknown soldiers soul and such, I save them for times when you are so close to another level, but just short. Pop a few and get your level. Or if you die and your armor is broken, come back to the nexus, pop a few, repair and then go back to get your souls. The Demon's Souls, like Hero's or Lead.. the ones you get for Bosses, I would save. They aren't super important after just beating one level, but later can be used for spells or weapons, which generally are more helpful than the souls they give if you consume them.

oracrest

Help Me! said:

Rawk gives some good advice. I usually just stockpile my soldier/hero souls, and flat out never use any boss souls just for the souls. They are too useful for getting special items, or spells.

I would use stashed souls plenty of times to repair all of my equipment, and buy lots of healing grass.

Once the other archstones open, there will be areas you can go to to fight enemies and level up rather quickly if you feel you need to.

Sleepy

So the souls from bosses are used on equipment, magic, etc? Nice to know...I almost /redeemed spend the Phalanx souls. Thanks for clearing that up.

BTW: I'm playing as a thief. Is this a "difficult" character to start with?

Rawk Hawk

Help Me! said:
So the souls from bosses are used on equipment, magic, etc? Nice to know...I almost /redeemed spend the Phalanx souls. Thanks for clearing that up.

All the classes even out eventually. Start class only effects starting stats, nothing else (like equipment or spells allowed). The only problem with Thief is they start with high luck, and if you decide to get into the PvP of the game, that will basically be wasted stats unless you end up liking the Blueblood Sword (which scales with luck).

So in the end, PvE it's completely fine, but could be a problem later if you want to PvP. Of course, I have 3 characters all around 123-136 for PvPing, and the last one I leveled took me a couple days to get ready for PvP. So it's not something to restart over, if you end up liking PvP, you can always make a second character and be ready to battle in a couple days.

Gee

Help Me! said:

Gear wise maybe, royal. is my favorite class to start with because of the starting equipment.

Once you get the compound bow and the needed stats you can cheese your way through a lot of bosses. You can also use it to grind on the 1st
reaper
of 4-2 to gain some levels.

How would you like to play the game? (melee (big swords or fast swords), ranged, magic?)

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
cj_iwakura said:
Slew Old King Doran yesterday. :D Felt great.
Whoo! I just beat
Allant
and went back to 1-1 for this guy as well.
Took a few tries, but eventually got him. Now I can sleep easy.

That is all events in worlds 1, 2 and 4 complete. Now to tackle the horrible Tower of Latria. I have never even attempted W5...

Sleepy

I have no idea how I want to play, but I probably won't get into PvP; I suck enough against the enemy AI, an actual human being would murder me. "Cheesing" my way through might be a good way, at least at first.

I beat the Phalanx boss at 1-1 (after the tutorial) and I am now going back to 1-1 to try and "finish off" the level. Is this correct? I can get past the third dragon blast, but the archers and blue-eye knight just murder me. I am under the impression that I am doing something wrong...

Zoe

Help Me! said:
I have no idea how I want to play, but I probably won't get into PvP; I suck enough against the enemy AI, an actual human being would murder me. "Cheesing" my way through might be a good way, at least at first.

I beat the Phalanx boss at 1-1 (after the tutorial) and I am now going back to 1-1 to try and "finish off" the level. Is this correct? I can get past the third dragon blast, but the archers and blue-eye knight just murder me. I am under the impression that I am doing something wrong...

You don't have to stick with the first world. Lots of people go 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, etc.

Gee

Help Me! said:

I remember feeling that way :)
The thing is if you find a strategy that works for you on a certain enemy, it will work almost all of the time because the AI responds almost the same way to your actions.

I had a magic spell because of my class so I could hit-and-run the blue and red eyed knights.
It's also possible to get their pattern down and melee them the same way. Once you get it down, you can grind a while on them.

The tip above is also a good one. Try different levels instead of 1-1, 1-2, 1-3 etc.
Thief's ring, compound longbow and scimitar+1 are weapons and items you can get fairly easy, but which will make your life a lot easier.

cj_iwakura said:
It takes away from your highest stat, IIRC.

And you can only lose SLs by having yourself drained(1-4's boss), suiciding during an invasion, or losing a red stone duel.

Slew Old King Doran yesterday. :D Felt great.

I still haven't gotten the All Rings trophy. :( This is one game I want to Platinum, but I think it'll take forever.

Do they accumulate between games, or does one character have to have them all?

and mepistopheles can soul suck you in the nexus when you have PBCT

Sleepy

Ugh...What level should you be at, or what is the best weapon, to take out the Tower Knight.

I deleted my save data and will start the process again. I went from a heavily white world to black in the course of an hour. And I accidentally attacked the soldier in the Nexus and he doesn't seem to forget it, so he just slays my ass repeatedly...At least I don't lose that much time...

brentech

Help Me! said:
Ugh...What level should you be at, or what is the best weapon, to take out the Tower Knight.
You don't need a certain level of anything to defeat him. You just have to understand what he is doing. I've only ever used melee on him. Always be sure to kill the archers around the top before going at him.

Basically, if you're at distance you kind of circle to him (so he can't throw his lance at you anymore). Then when close to him, run between the legs to get behind him.

He will turn to attack you, in which you can run through legs again. The other thing he might do is a hop backwards which impacts the ground and can send you on your back, but shouldn't kill you. Just have to get up and eat some grass and get moving again (on conversely, get up and run up the stairs to a safe point and eat the grass).

You'll never do much damage to him while he's standing.
Standing damage isn't the point, it's just a way to get him vulnerable. Just keep chopping at his legs. He eventually falls and you can bash his head in. Usually takes 2 or 3 falls to the ground to get enough hits on him for the kill.

He's big and overwhelming by looks, but don't be deceived, you'll soon feel like a hero as you whoop his ass and make him look silly. It's truly and epic fight. Love it every time.

edit: fail spoiler end fix

Sleepy

Thanks...I didn't even think about trying to kill the archers beforehand.

So level doesn't really matter; it's basically a game of pattern recognition and timing? Oh, and patience. Lots of patience.

Zeliard

Help Me! said:

So level doesn't really matter; it's basically a game of pattern recognition and timing? Oh, and patience. Lots of patience.

Tower Knight is your basic huge-yet-slow enemy. Use that against him. All of his attacks are telegraphed well beforehand, and the only thing you really need to worry about is getting out of the radius of his shield stomp. You should be able to circle around him and swipe at his feet effectively enough. If you need or want to, you can also shoot a few arrows at him from the towers to knock his health bar down a bit, but it isn't necessary.

After you've beaten him, you should go beat the 4-1 boss who is very similar in style.

MMaRsu

Zeliard said:
Tower Knight is your basic huge-yet-slow enemy. Use that against him. All of his attacks are telegraphed well beforehand, and the only thing you really need to worry about is getting out of the radius of his shield stomp. You should be able to circle around him and swipe at his feet effectively enough. If you need or want to, you can also shoot a few arrows at him from the towers to knock his health bar down a bit, but it isn't necessary.

After you've beaten him, you should go beat the 4-1 boss who is very similar in style.

Actually the 4-1 boss is much much easier as you can kill him within a minute if you have the compound long bow :p. Just shoot as his head, within 10 shots he's dead!

Zeliard

MMaRsu said:
Actually the 4-1 boss is much much easier as you can kill him within a minute if you have the compound long bow :p. Just shoot as his head, within 10 shots he's dead!

Pfft, it's all about getting down-and-dirty with melee. ;)

With my first char, I often switched between magic and melee, but with my current char I'm sticking almost exclusively to melee. The only thing I've launched arrows at so far are the flying mantas in stage 4.

Johnas said:
Well, the problem with this video is that he's already up the stairs and past the dragon. The wiki refers to a safe spot halfway up the stairs where Biorr (I think) hangs out and occasionally shoots at it.

not sure i understand what you mean, are you having difficulty running past the dragons flame? the safe spot to run is right before the platform with the dead warriors souls on the ground. make sure to run when his flame is going from right to left and run on the right side. you just run past all the way up and then follow the video to kill him. this works w/ or w/out biorr.

not sure there is another place to shoot him at, but this works 100% of the time

Johnas

JackSmithy said:
not sure i understand what you mean, are you having difficulty running past the dragons flame? the safe spot to run is right before the platform with the dead warriors souls on the ground. make sure to run when his flame is going from right to left and run on the right side. you just run past all the way up and then follow the video to kill him. this works w/ or w/out biorr.

not sure there is another place to shoot him at, but this works 100% of the time

OK, that was actually my thought for my next approach. I didn't realize what they meant by safe spot, I thought it was some place behind a column or something where you could hide and be safe from the flame. I guess they just meant the last possible distance you can climb before getting hurt.

Thanks for the advice. I've finished the game once before but Biorr was there the first time, and I couldn't remember exactly how I got through. I definitely didn't kill the dragon though.

oracrest

Help Me! said:

Yes, pretty much.

A few of us have done playthroughs with level 1 characters.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
cj_iwakura said:
Yeah, call us when you're in the 'lost six digits of souls' crowd. :p
Fixed. I once lost like 200k souls in 1-4 (killed Penetrator, the BPs then died). This was before learning to dupe too, 100% legit earned so it hurt real bad to lose them. Man was I pissed I didn't play for like a week. Tthe worst thing you can do in this game is get comfortable, get overconfident, and take the enemies, even fodder enemies, for granted. That's when the game will bite you the hardest.

Been listening to the soundtrack. So amazing.

It makes me want to play again, but I'll likely just wait for Dark Souls as my backlog is pretty stacked. I might get sucked back in though...

Haunted

If I got a dollar every time I read the thread title as Demon's Souls 2 OT instead of Demon's Souls OT 2...

Goddamnit.

Orayn

Haunted said:
If I got a dollar every time I read the thread title as Demon's Souls 2 OT instead of Demon's Souls OT 2...

Goddamnit.
I hear ya. Unfortunate that it's way too early for Dark Souls to have its own OT...

Facism

fucking hell forgot the game came with a soundtrack.

Keeps delivering. Continuing my NG+ now i've completed Yakuza 4 :D

I hope pwon still has a pure bladestone, i've come within his level range now :D

MMaRsu

Can I just say that 3-1 is creepy as hell?

Where do I go from if I'm in front of Freke's cell? I don't have the key yet, and I can't open Rydell's cell either. Where do I go from there? I'm totally lost in this place but I don't want to die because I'll have to get back to Freke's cell and this place is confusing as hell.

Can I drop down near freke's cell? Because there is a hole in the ground but the last time I tried it I died.. :\

I beat NG+ the other day. The sheer brilliance of the design is that the game won't let you redeem the souls from the last boss + real Allant + Maiden in Black until you play 1-1 again...and by that time, you might as well play 1-2, 1-3, etc. It's perfectly designed to trap you into playing forever.

I cry somewhere inside each time i have to step foot in 5-2... nothing but hate for that level in me.

MMaRsu said:
Any tips about my question? Where do I go?

If i remember right you want to turn around and look for an almost hidden staircase. Falling through that hole = bad. You have to work your way down to the bottom of the level prison, but there are stairs leading you that way. 3-1 took me a while too.

MMaRsu said:
Any tips about my question? Where do I go?

As the guy above me, go back to the starcaises and look for a hidden one in the middle that goes to the lowest floor, but try to remember where is Freake, you'll have to go there later.

Also take care with the strange demon in the lowest floor.

elohel

MMaRsu said:
Can I just say that 3-1 is creepy as hell?

Where do I go from if I'm in front of Freke's cell? I don't have the key yet, and I can't open Rydell's cell either. Where do I go from there? I'm totally lost in this place but I don't want to die because I'll have to get back to Freke's cell and this place is confusing as hell.

Can I drop down near freke's cell? Because there is a hole in the ground but the last time I tried it I died.. :\

you cant get his key from 3-1 you gotta finish 3-2 i believe, or you don't get the key until then at least

the main area you're gonna want to explore is those stairs that lead you to sage freke's cell, they keep going further and further down(you know where im talking about?) they're like the main hub for the level, there's like two sets but once you make it to the two squid heads, you should be on your way outside

you havent been to the boss area yet have you?

elohel said:
you cant get his key from 3-1 you gotta finish 3-2 i believe, or you don't get the key until then at least

the main area you're gonna want to explore is those stairs that lead you to sage freke's cell, they keep going further and further down(you know where im talking about?) they're like the main hub for the level, there's like two sets but once you make it to the two squid heads, you should be on your way outside

you havent been to the boss area yet have you?

No, you can get his key in 3-1, maybe you're thinking of Rydell's key.

MMaRsu

I got the warden key from the lowest floor in 3-1, near the machine on the bridge that shoots arrows at you, then died because I fell down somewhere lol. Damnit!

Also picked up the flute armor set but I can't do anything with it so I just left it there.

And yeah there are indeed some hidden staircases, if you don't stop to look you just don't see them. I still love the fake walls in 4-1 though.

Sleepy

So after much pain and suffering with the thief class in World 1-1, 1-2, I decided to start over as a Royal. So far I am finding the game a little easier.

Is it advisable to upgrade the starting equipment? Say the Rapier?

MMaRsu

Sweet.. went back to 4-2 instead and killed the old hero ( he was easy with the thief ring, didn't fight him without it ), got him on my first try :D.

Came out with 62123 souls, that's a nice amount right? :D

oracrest

Help Me! said:
So after much pain and suffering with the thief class in World 1-1, 1-2, I decided to start over as a Royal. So far I am finding the game a little easier.

Generally, upgrade whatever weapon you like at first. It's hard to waste any super important items on them until your a bit into the game. I used Long Sword +10 for a loooooong time.

patsu

I used the Rapier (upgraded only a little) and magic mostly at the beginning. Then go to 4-1 to get the Crescent Falchion. Used it for a while. Then get the Dragon Sword from 2-2 (in the maze). Then use Northern Regalia (sp?) throughout the late game.

Facism

Big thanks to pwonager for letting my cup the shaft of his bladestoned secret dagger so i didn't have to fanny about farming for a pure bladestone.

You the man, dawg.

Atruvius

Help Me! said:

It would be better for you to get the crecent falchion from 4-1. Upgrade it and your magick lvl boosts it's damage.

Atruvius said:
It would be better for you to get the crecent falchion from 4-1. Upgrade it and your magick lvl boosts it's damage.

I LOVE this sword. I used this through most of my first playthrough. Crescent Falchion +4... just got to get one pure darkmoonstone.

So I just suffered my first lost in PvP, well I only had 3 invasions:2 wins 1 lost....lol

Anyway, fuck him, it looked like a PvP specific build, not much I could do, I presented a decent fight until he switched to the luck sword + magic buff spell, I didn't have a shield against magic...

Is any reason why people always use 4-1 to invade?...I can't do that level without getting invaded...

I thought 4-1 was the unofficial pvp area... i was always getting invaded there and not able to progress so i did the level in soul form, or offline till i took out the boss.

I hate that feeling of going from "oh yeah I am going to kick this guy's ass!" to " what the hell did he just do to me?"

Johnas

So the wiki tells me that to shift a world's tendency towards pure black, I need to die in body form in that world (this will shift it one increment). I keep doing that in 4-1, using a new Stone of Ephemeral Eyes every time I die to get my body back, and the tendency isn't changing.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? I've done it three times but the icon has stayed the same since before the first attempt.

EDIT: Maybe I need to go back to the Nexus for it to take effect? I'll try that.

EDIT 2: Yep, that did it. Never mind. :p

Mazre

So after having shelved this game for a year or so I picked it back up a few weeks ago. I wasn't too far in from my first attempts at DS with having only killed Phalanx and hit a few early switches in other levels. So I started a new character as I thought trying a caster might be easier and help me get over the hump. Quickly cleared through Phalanx with 0 issues and went off to 3-1 as I felt closest to finishing it last time I had played.

Cleared my way through the level with one or two stupid deaths (fall/bad positioning/etc), got up to trying the boss and network started acting wonky so I once again set DS aside and started working on some other games in the backlog.

Today (several weeks later) I come back to the game. I die once again to the boss of 3-1 and decide to try somewhere else. I make a few attempts at 2-1,4-1, and 5-1 making some new progress in each stage but still feeling a little beat down as is so often the case in DS.

So before putting the game down for the evening (or possibly another year) I muster up my courage and take a fresh stab at 1-2 (a level I haven't set foot in over a year). Made the familiar jog across the first rampart and cleared out the tunnels down below. Cleared out everything up to tower knight with no problems and prepared to be squashed as so many times before....

...but this time something clicked. I jaunted right past tower knight up the steps and cleared out the archers, and made short work of him with soul arrow and a little sidestepping. Killing demons is honestly one of the best feelings ever when the game has been beating you down for a long time.

Emboldened I returned to 2-1 and took another shot at armor spider. Remembering this time I had picked up water veil (derp), I one shot armor spider putting me up two demon kills with 0 deaths.

Things were looking up so I pressed on hungrily into new territory. Creeping through dark tunnels picking off miners left and right I arrive at a large vertical shaft. Down and down I drop, barely able to see the platforms beneath. At one point a take a leap of faith, certain I will shortly be returning to an archstone, yet miraculously landing in one piece. The next thing I know worms spewing lava are all around me, I'm bobbing and weaving trying to get my bearings and trying to land a soul arrow on them. I survive and move deeper into the cavern.

Next thing I know I'm face to face with a very unhappy fire elemental. Much to my surprise after a rather desperate battle that sea-sawed wildly I emerged victorious over flamelurker, having reached him for the very first time.

And so it was that after nearly writing the game off I find myself dispatching 3 demons in succession. Feels so good, really can't think of another game that provides this kind of satisfaction when you overcome and are victorious.

Naturally after hitting the nexus I pressed on and was summarily smashed to pieces by a very angry dragon god. Oh well, onward!

Top Bottom