• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Dai Kaiju

I can't get into this game and it makes me sad :(

I must be doing something wrong. Can anyone post a gameplay vid of someone who actually knows what he's doing?

oracrest

Facism said:
Demon's Souls story was told by the gameplay, your character progression and equipment, the environments, the item descriptions, the coop, the invading, the myriad of dumb deaths, getting ruined by Red-eyed skeletons, having the piss taken out of you by an escaping crystal lizard, casting rage of god's to deal with the rats in 5-1 only to find you've killed the dirty woman as well, getting spit-roasted by 2 Maneaters, surviving that spit-roast, only to be charged off the bridge whilst you eat full-moon grass to recover and finally, trolling Garl Vinland with the Scraping Spear in NG ++.

I only Plat my favourite games and baby this has been one of the best games of the generation for me. Platinum was achieved last night :D

In addition to things you do, there are plenty of story elements that you can solve by piecing together things in game.
The backstory of Tower of Latria from talking to the wealthy woman in the cells, the idea that all the characters in Valley of Defilement are trying to keep you from their saint, the Maiden. The armor attributes you get From Garl's equipment elude to how they could survive those poisonous conditions without dieing (total magic resistance.) The set of armor in the bottom of the pit that matches Biorr's implies what happened to the other "Twin Fang." Even all the soldier in Boletaria were in the ranks of King Allant before succumbing to the fog.

The story presented to you is light, but there are a lot of pieces to the puzzle that you can start to put together.

Facism

oracrest said:
In addition to things you do, there are plenty of story elements that you can solve by piecing together things in game.
The backstory of Tower of Latria from talking to the wealthy woman in the cells, the idea that all the characters in Valley of Defilement are trying to keep you from their saint, the Maiden. The armor attributes you get From Garl's equipment elude to how they could survive those poisonous conditions without dieing (total magic resistance.) The set of armor in the bottom of the pit that matches Biorr's implies what happened to the other "Twin Fang." Even all the soldier in Boletaria were in the ranks of King Allant before succumbing to the fog.

The story presented to you is light, but there are a lot of pieces to the puzzle that you can start to put together.

yup, there's a lot of incidental story and background, implications and whatnot like you've just laid out.

Dark souls is my most anticpated release in 2011. It's nice to have this kind of game in what is typically a creatively and mechanically bankrupt console generation.

Sleepy

Quick question: I couldn't find the answer on the wiki or gamefaqs, so:

If I killed the Fat Official in 1-3 before he lowered the stairs to Yuria, am I screwed? Is there any other way to save her?

Thanks!

patsu

Help Me! said:
Quick question: I couldn't find the answer on the wiki or gamefaqs, so:

If I killed the Fat Official in 1-3 before he lowered the stairs to Yuria, am I screwed? Is there any other way to save her?

Thanks!

"Oh Sh*t."

[Point at Help Me!] "Haha !"

What happens if you kill yourself and go back ? He should respawn, no ?

Dai Kaiju said:
I can't get into this game and it makes me sad :(

How long have you played? It literally took me a good nine hours before I got into it, and another six hours or so before I was truly confident in what I was doing.

Fox1304

oracrest said:
I don't want to read a wiki to be caught by the story of a game....

And for what many have said, I know that there's a lot of backgroud elements scattered through the game, but they should serve a more consistent story about your character, and the present time and acts, not just be hints of the past that have no real purpose except building a more complex backstory.

Fox1304 said:
I don't want to read a wiki to be caught by the story of a game....

And for what many have said, I know that there's a lot of backgroud elements scattered through the game, but they should serve a more consistent story about your character, and the present time and acts, not just be hints of the past that have no real purpose except building a more complex backstory.
No, no they shouldn't.

Demon's Souls had a better narrative through everything that wasn't said than every other barely interactive anime-fanfic that passes for a jRPG "character driven story" to come out in God knows how long.

Help Me! said:
Already cleared the level and went back to the Nexus. Oh well, that's what NG+ will be for, I guess.

i'd at least check that he doesn't respawn. from memory the only enemies that don't are the minibosses.

brentech

Mr_Appleby said:
i'd at least check that he doesn't respawn. from memory the only enemies that don't are the minibosses.
Yeah, pretty sure he should be back.

In NG+3, I ran up there to get her, totally forgetting to take my hat off since it'd been a long time since I played. Realized afterwards that she didn't show up in the Nexus because of it. So I went back, and I had to kill him again. I would imagine he should be there still (even though my case is slightly different in that he did drop the bridge for me the first time).

Fox1304

MickeyKnox said:
No, no they shouldn't.

Demon's Souls had a better narrative through everything that wasn't said than every other barely interactive anime-fanfic that passes for a jRPG "character driven story" to come out in God knows how long.
That's not what I meant. I don't want a character oriented story. I love the way the world is depicted in DS, with hints and else. But any actions you do seem to change nothing in this world. I killed fake king, so what ? I always had the impressions, after killing a boss, that the only thing that would change would be a new archstone, and one more demon's soul for me, that's all.
What I meant is that I'd loved the universe even more if the actions and the character had some impact on it, instead of just passing through.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Fox1304 said:
That's not what I meant. I don't want a character oriented story. I love the way the world is depicted in DS, with hints and else. But any actions you do seem to change nothing in this world. I killed fake king, so what ? I always had the impressions, after killing a boss, that the only thing that would change would be a new archstone, and one more demon's soul for me, that's all.
What I meant is that I'd loved the universe even more if the actions and the character had some impact on it, instead of just passing through.
I haven't finished it yet, but I'm pretty sure your character's actions do have some impact on the world in the end (for better or worse).

Even if they don't, or if the consequences seem anticlimactic to you, then I have a feeling that's the point. Despite all your efforts, you are just another lost soul doomed to remain in the Nexus. Essentially, you are just passing through, like any of the Storied Soldiers' or Legendary Heroes' souls you happen to pick up along the way :)

Personally, I kind of like that. It feels totally different from anything I've played before. Everything is so empty and desolate that you are to savour every bit of human contact and world/character history that you come across and try to piece it all together.

After killing each boss, did you want a cutscene? A hearty pat on the back? The first time I killed Phalanx I felt more satisfied and more relieved than after having played through the entirety of some other games, and that was enough.

Maybe we're just having a hard time understanding what you enjoy or what you were expecting. But like MickeyKnox said, this game universe feels richer to me - not just story-wise, but in terms of what you accomplish - than many other games I've played to date, JRPG or otherwise.

Fox1304

I totally agree with what you said.

Loved the sense of despair, and I know that they want to make you feel that you're just another soul in an endless circle.

And I loved it.

Maybe I'm feeling this way because of the ( I think ) very dull ending, that deceived me in every way.

The satisfaction after having defeated each boss is indeed tremendous, there's no way I could deny that. But there are some times where I bursted through levels without knowing who I killed, and even if gameplay-wise it was a very tense fight, it had no real meaning neither in the world nor in the "story".
I don't need any cutscene or "pat in the back" as you say, just feeling that what I did had some meaning or repercutions in the world.

Maybe I'm waiting too much on an already incredible game. I loved the universe and background so much and would have loved being more an "actor" of it as a player/character.

I know that their intention was to make us feel like lost souls in an endless circle, but they could have managed that AND make us care for the progression of the world and character throughout the game.

I think that's what they'll try to do in Dark Soul, with a more linear world system.
With the current organisation of worlds, there's no way they could have reached something like this.

Sleepy

Mr_Appleby said:

The other Fat Officials in that area didn't respawn so I think I'm screwed. I'll recheck when I play today, though. Thanks for all the help/comments.

Gee

Fox1304 said:
I totally agree with what you said.

I don't need any cutscene or "pat in the back" as you say, just feeling that what I did had some meaning or repercutions in the world.

1064040-stock_thomas_large.jpg

Stockpile Thomas cares ;)
•After defeating yet another boss
With brave souls like you confronting these vile Demons, perhaps it won't be long before things return to normal.
At least, that is what we are all praying for…""

sublimit

Banned
I liked the minimal approach to storytelling,DS has a much better story than most pretentious crap out there today.It kinda reminds me the way Team Ico approaches storytelling which i absolutely love.
And like others have said already the game's story is combined with the individual player experiences through the game.I loved reading player's experiences and stories in the old thread as well as in this one,they were as entertaining as the main story itself (maybe even more.)I hope Dark Souls will be the same in terms of storytelling.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
That's cool, Fox. Without finishing it, I don't have much of a claim, but I'm glad we're seeing eye-to-eye on the whole atmosphere thing at least ;)

I think we're all in agreement that Dark Souls cannot come soon enough, and if they can expand on those story elements you mentioned without sacrificing anything else, then I will not be one to complain.

As for Gee's post, I believe the Crestfallen Warrior offers a slightly more negative outlook...
crestfallen-warrior.jpg

Well, you’ve found yourself a Demon’s Soul, have you?
I’m impressed... yes, indeed I am.
Stay the path, and you will soon be a monster yourself!
Hahahahahah!
Can’t you see you’ve fallen for their trap?

Mazre

Finally made it over the hump and am enjoying it so much. Managed to wrap up world 2 shortly after my last post. Since then I've been playing an hour or 2 each night this week and finished 3-1,4-1, and 5-1.

After my victories I did some passes back through 1-1, 1-2, and 2-2 to check on some stuff (dragon loot, red dragon, etc). I was really floored by how much of 2-2 I had bypassed my first time through, the bug caves were pretty incredible, really amazed by the games sense of scale sometimes. Just cleared through 3-2 and was equally impressed. Unfortunately when I attempted Maneater I attempted to dodge his initial charge only to discover that dodging to the side at the beginning of the fight isn't a great idea =(

thorin

Mazre said:
Unfortunately when I attempted Maneater I attempted to dodge his initial charge only to discover that dodging to the side at the beginning of the fight isn't a great idea =(
I'm pretty sure everyone who has faced Maneater has fallen do their deaths at least once. It's safer to make your stand in the middle of the bridge at the big brazier. Oh, and from the sound of things, you died before Maneater could show you his big surprise. That's too bad ;)

hitsugi

B-Genius said:
That's cool, Fox. Without finishing it, I don't have much of a claim, but I'm glad we're seeing eye-to-eye on the whole atmosphere thing at least ;)

I think we're all in agreement that Dark Souls cannot come soon enough, and if they can expand on those story elements you mentioned without sacrificing anything else, then I will not be one to complain.

As for Gee's post, I believe the Crestfallen Warrior offers a slightly more negative outlook...
crestfallen-warrior.jpg

Well, you’ve found yourself a Demon’s Soul, have you?
I’m impressed... yes, indeed I am.
Stay the path, and you will soon be a monster yourself!
Hahahahahah!
Can’t you see you’ve fallen for their trap?

the first thing I do when starting my game off is talk to that guy as much as possible..

oracrest

Mazre said:
Unfortunately when I attempted Maneater I attempted to dodge his initial charge only to discover that dodging to the side at the beginning of the fight isn't a great idea =(

With him, you can dive INTO his lunge, and come up unscathed (provided your timing is on.) As a more advanced move, you can roll WITH his lunge (timing is a tad bit later) and come up swinging right next to him.

brentech

oracrest said:
With him, you can dive INTO his lunge, and come up unscathed (provided your timing is on.) As a more advanced move, you can roll WITH his lunge (timing is a tad bit later) and come up swinging right next to him.
Interesting. Never knew that. I've always started on the side of the platform rolling to the other side to get by him.

Then ran to the brazier and side-rolled on his lunging attacks, ended with a heavy swing once I turned towards his back.

Rawk Hawk

Facism said:
trolling Garl Vinland with the Scraping Spear in NG ++.
I love doing this to just about all enemies in this game. There is something so fun about it, I can see why people do it to other players. I just like having one on me though, for whenever someone tries to troll me. Something fun about doing the same thing to them.

My first time through, I killed the first Maneater the cheap way. On NG+, I faced them both at the same time...I would Firestorm them, then sprint to the other side of the bridge to heal/restore magic, then repeat...This is arguably a cheap way too, but I find melee to be much easier when it's just one of them at a time.

patsu

patsu said:
Use Warding on yourself. Mix melee and magic ranged attack.

Yes, once you use Warding, you can keep your cool and form a tentative plan to get both of them together, or one at a time. Adjust plan as you go.

I didn't die at all fighting Maneater during my first playthrough. Died once in my second playthrough.

The fight was intense/epic nonetheless. My friend watching me play clenched my chair and wouldn't let go (I couldn't swivel !). He was yelling out helpful tips like "Behind you !", "He's there !" (Sometimes those maneaters fly too far away), etc.

Gee

Rawk Hawk said:
"You have a heart of gold, don't let them take it from you."

I can no longer say that sentence in my own voice...

Lol this.. Or the maidens lines for that matter.

Sleepy

I think I need to put this game down for a while. I have died 10 times during the second stage of Shine of Storms, by either falling, being pushed, surrounded (even though I carefully tried to avoid it by walking slow, luring enemies, etc.), or the worst of all, killed by the third Reaper after I killed him but he managed to get a shot off that went through my shield. My blood pressure is probably off the charts right now; all I can see is red. Fuck this game.

Help Me! said:
I think I need to put this game down for a while. I have died 10 times during the second stage of Shine of Storms, by either falling, being pushed, surrounded (even though I carefully tried to avoid it by walking slow, luring enemies, etc.), or the worst of all, killed by the third Reaper after I killed him but he managed to get a shot off that went through my shield. My blood pressure is probably off the charts right now; all I can see is red. Fuck this game.

It happened to me during 4-1, I just keep dying and dying and when I thought of the thousands of souls lost....RAAGGGEEE.jpg. Damn even the shitty boss kill me 2 times, when the first time I beat him with no problems at all!!!

Probably the best you can do now, is play other world or leave the game for a while...(I did the last)

Sleepy

The irony is that I chose to do that world before 1-4 because I thought I would fly through it. Now it's pure black WT, and I will probably never be able to pass it.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Help Me! said:
You'll be even more pissed when you are killed by what awaits you after the third Reaper.

thorin

Help Me! said:
The irony is that I chose to do that world before 1-4 because I thought I would fly through it. Now it's pure black WT, and I will probably never be able to pass it.
If you're playing online then you can go to the nexus, quit game, then load your game again. That'll move your WT towards the server average, which is usually close to pure white.

patsu

Don't forget black phantoms. If you are invaded, make sure you fight valiantly. Do not be afraid.

The Archstone will be blocked. Evacuate spell will become useless. The only way out is fight to death or disconnect.

thorin

Yeah, and invaders love 4-2. But if you aren't in body form then you don't have to worry about that, and if you are then just summon some blue phantoms to help.

patsu

Yeah, once you see an invasion, it's very likely to see more right after the first (or second) one. The game stops at 3 invasions I think.

Sometimes, I'd wait for invasion when I start a game. Finish all the invading black phantoms and then proceed with my regular games. The advantage is you can stay at a corner, watch them appear and stab them from behind.

oracrest

brentech said:
Interesting. Never knew that. I've always started on the side of the platform rolling to the other side to get by him.

Then ran to the brazier and side-rolled on his lunging attacks, ended with a heavy swing once I turned towards his back.

Yeah, I did the same, resulting in countless falling deaths in that battle. As I learned the rolling invulnerability better, I started this tactic, and can defeat them a lot easier. Generally, I keep the battle "in line" with the narrow walkway. Even if he hits you, you won't be knocked to the side and over the edge.

I have come to find the hallway area easier to battle him in, as opposed to the brazier. That area is very useful when the second arrives though.

It may help to practice roll dodge from weaker enemies, until you get the timing down. Don't roll away from attacks, but through them. Works like a charm with giant depraved ones too, since you can see their attacks coming from a mile away.

Oh my, can't find my NTSC copy of demon's souls anywhere. Thinking of buying a PAL version, that would come with no shipping costs to where i'm currently living... the save will work with that, right?

GABDEG

Timekiller said:
Oh my, can't find my NTSC copy of demon's souls anywhere. Thinking of buying a PAL version, that would come with no shipping costs to where i'm currently living... the save will work with that, right?
Unfortunately no.

RedSwirl

Okay, just rented this and killed my first demon (Phalanx). How much more is there to the game? Is it just getting through the five other locations linked through the statues and killing their respective demons?

So far I don't really find the game difficult so much as just punitive. It doesn't hold your hand so much like most western games this generation, which really you can say about any current gen Japanese game. On top of that DS actually seems to be quite fair. You lose progress when you die, but the game gives you a loophole through which you can get it back (if you die twice do you lose everything from your first death?). Also, is the entrance to every boss room a locked door right near the beginning of each area?

It's what I actually like about Japanese games this gen - they actually let me play the freaking game, give me a reasonable challenge, and don't treat me like an idiot. Furthermore, actually learning the core gameplay took me less than two minutes, which says something about every other long-ass tutorial I've had to go through.

I still haven't "bought into" the RPG element of the game though - getting loot and grinding so I can get better swords and armor and crap. What I've seen so far in the game could've worked as just an action game, but we'll see.

Syril

RedSwirl said:
You lose progress when you die, but the game gives you a loophole through which you can get it back (if you die twice do you lose everything from your first death?). Also, is the entrance to every boss room a locked door right near the beginning of each area?

Yeah, you only leave one bloodstain at a time, so your souls from your first death are lost if you die again before reaching it.

The bosses aren't ways locked at the beginning, but the levels tend to have shortcuts to reach them again quickly.

RedSwirl said:
I still haven't "bought into" the RPG element of the game though - getting loot and grinding so I can get better swords and armor and crap. What I've seen so far in the game could've worked as just an action game, but we'll see.

Yeah I have to agree with you there. As a pure action game, it could have been a nice 3D successor to old-school Castlevania.

RedSwirl

Syril said:
Yeah, you only leave one bloodstain at a time, so your souls from your first death are lost if you die again before reaching it.

The bosses aren't ways locked at the beginning, but the levels tend to have shortcuts to reach them again quickly.

Yeah I have to agree with you there. As a pure action game, it could have been a nice 3D successor to old-school Castlevania.

Those six levels mentioned in The Nexus are the whole game right?

greyshark

oracrest said:
The sixth, "crumbled" archstone was intended for DLC, which never saw the light of day.

There are only five worlds.

Is that confirmed anywhere? I've always heard speculation about DLC but have also read that the sixth archstone was presented that way just for the story.

Top Bottom