• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

brentech

Beating flamelurker is no small feat. The Dragon God turns out pretty easy when you realize it's just a horrible rendition of stealth platforming....you don't actually fight him.

I've taken a break from the game myself after finally getting my Platinum, in thanks to Rawk Hawk. Going to create a new character and try to take a different approach. I basically ran around in leather with a bow in my main playthrough -- usually carrying the dragon longsword+5 or northern regalia.

Just not totally sure how I want to play the game now. Debating between an armored character with a long weapon such as a spear (since I basically never used one), or maybe a heavy faith build. Can't really decide, but mostly want to do it just to play as a blue phantom.

Always enjoyed that way more than pvp.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
ZNgnPlJJQ.png

1289099162914.jpg

I did it!

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Mazre said:
Epic tale of perserverance.
I salute you, sir. And you crazy fellows who have Platinum'd this beast.
Will be going through 3-1 with my new mage build today... Interesting times.

Rawk Hawk

brentech said:
Just not totally sure how I want to play the game now. Debating between an armored character with a long weapon such as a spear (since I basically never used one), or maybe a heavy faith build. Can't really decide, but mostly want to do it just to play as a blue phantom.

Always enjoyed that way more than pvp.
I'm somewhat breaking as well, closing on a house and moving within a week or two, so I'm just swamped with other stuff.. but once I get back to full time gaming, wouldn't mind do some low level stuff. Been debating like a Lv1 character play through, maybe we can set up both at Lv1 and duo, or trio. I've heard of people who solo through at Lv1, many from here, but I'm more of a charge and swing until dead player.. so I might need some help. lol

bone_and_sinew said:
I did it!
Congrats!

Rawk Hawk

MMaRsu said:
Last night I took care off the 2-3 boss as well, the storm king :D. He was pretty easy!
The final level bosses all seemed that way to me.. maybe I just picked up on the tricks early enough to make them easy. I thought for bosses that basically have no levels, they should be really hard, maybe that will be changed in Dark Souls.

Sleepy

ZeroRay said:
Your prize for platinum is that Dark Souls will be three times harder when you play it.
I wish.

That would be incredibly evil or incredibly awesome...I can't decide which one, though.

Finally beat 1-2, and went on to 4-1 where I got my ass kicked all up and down the opening staircases. Finally got to, and beat, the Adjudicator. It didn't hit me once. lol

Fox1304

Think I'm near the end of the game. Beat 4-4 tonight, haaaaardly thanks to this stupid timing for the blue dragon an to a insane amount of BP.
Only 5-2 and next, and I'll finally go to the end game part. Can't wait !

jyx

I have been a gamer for over 20 years ( yes, im old). I have never played a game over 200 hours until Demons souls. Dark souls next....

Nakiro

Rawk Hawk said:
The final level bosses all seemed that way to me.. maybe I just picked up on the tricks early enough to make them easy. I thought for bosses that basically have no levels, they should be really hard, maybe that will be changed in Dark Souls.
They said they won't have "levels" in Dark Souls, it will all be streamlined.
Though yeah, I think the final bosses were really easy.. actually most of the bosses were really easy.

jyx said:
I have been a gamer for over 20 years ( yes, im old). I have never played a game over 200 hours until Demons souls. Dark souls next....

Welcome to the club, there will be plenty of us come Dark Souls.

*patiently waits...*

brentech said:
Just not totally sure how I want to play the game now. Debating between an armored character with a long weapon such as a spear (since I basically never used one), or maybe a heavy faith build.

why not do both, faith build w/ blessed mirdan hammer or some such. faith make great melee tanks.

dang i wanna play again now. done everything but false king on a SL1 run and haven't touched the game for 8 months since.

MMaRsu

Hey guys I have a question, how do I get the big sword that's in 2-3? I beat the Dragon God, which was a lame ass boss fight but a cool boss, but I want that big ass sword! How do I get to it?

MMaRsu said:
Hey guys I have a question, how do I get the big sword that's in 2-4? I beat the Dragon God, which was a lame ass boss fight but a cool boss, but I want that big ass sword! How do I get to it?

You need Pure White World Tendency, I would explain all the thing but probably a wiki would do a better job.

Edit: Oh well, I'll try.

Every world have 2 alternate states in which different things/paths can only achieved on those: Pure White and Pure Black.

To get Pure White you need: +3 points, how do you get positive points? killing bosses (I think it's the only way I don't remember well)

Pure Black needs -4 points, how do you get negative points?

- getting killed in physical form in that world (deaths in soul from dosn't affect)
- Killing certain NPC's that are in every world, etc..

You can check WT in the menu, the one that shows all the archstones and your figurine...

Also World Tendencies are too server dependant in the online mode and works different than in offline mode.

I think for more specifics you should go a wiki, but this are the very basics.

Sleepy

Which is the easiest world to complete all the way through, one after the other? This game frustrates the shit out of the completionist/perfectionist in me.

Help Me! said:
Which is the easiest world to complete all the way through, one after the other? This game frustrates the shit out of the completionist/perfectionist in me.
It's generally agreed upon not to play through an entire world, but rather go 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, etc. The difficulty generally scales, and you'll accumulate enough equipment and souls to tackle the harder challenges.

As for easiest overall world to complete, I personally think it's World 5: Valley Of Defilement. That probably won't be a popular choice, as it can be frustrating and slow to traverse, but you can skip most of the battles and get to the end rather quickly if you know where to go.

Rawk Hawk

Help Me! said:
World 2 is the fastest from the beginning to the end, mainly because of the path you can take to Flamelurker.

thorin

Yeah, I vote for world 2 since I always clear that one first. Flamelurker is the only challenge, but he's a fun challenge (with a good shield).

Zoe

SabinFigaro said:
As for easiest overall world to complete, I personally think it's World 5: Valley Of Defilement. That probably won't be a popular choice, as it can be frustrating and slow to traverse, but you can skip most of the battles and get to the end rather quickly if you know where to go.

I still have trouble with the trolls. The bosses are very easy though (think the 5-2 boss glitched on me).

thorin

Warding is your best friend against those trolls, just don't take on more than one at a time though.

I love warding. I was helping some guy against Penetrator the other day. I kept getting skewered because of lag, but thanks to warding I was all "Meh, big deal" while the guy who summoned me hid in the corner and cheered me on.

oracrest

Zoe said:
I still have trouble with the trolls. The bosses are very easy though (think the 5-2 boss glitched on me).

Your biggest mistake will be fighting them in the water.

I fight the first on his island, and later in the level, I draw the two out one by one and fight them in the narrow bridge with wooden walls which is right before the encounter. My tactic is to get right up in their face, and sideroll through all their attacks. The walls keep you from rolling into the water.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I went to bed thinking about Dark Souls last night, and the few screenshots I had seen a while back...

This doesn't usually happen, but I ended up having a really vivid dream about fighting a giant wolf - it was in some snowy mountains and for some reason the whole fight was while sliding down massive slopes.

Even the demon wolf was just skidding the whole way. It was awesome!
I awoke thinking Dark Souls will definitely not be like that, but I still cannot wait.

Help Me! said:
world 2 is most likely the quickest way to go. 4-1 can be completed VERY quickly with some creative rolling, and the 4-3 boss is cake, but 4-2 can result in some really cheap/falling deaths and get a little frustrating toward the end.

2-1 is fairly long (but easy), 2-2 can be completed probably faster than 4-1 (just be careful), and the 2-3 boss is cake.

i actually want to time this on my next playthrough.

Drek

About 11 hours in with my first character and had a few questions:

1. Does the 'Cloak' spell and the Thief Ring have the same effect? Do they stack and further reduce your range? Cloak is cheap and I'm playing a offensive magic/swordsman type so if all it takes is a quick cloak spell to free up a ring slot I'm all for it.

2. Anyone play a dual wielder? I just got the Mercury Rapier +1 in 3-1 and already got the Crescent Falchion +1 from 4-1. Thinking with the Rapier's quick L1 stab and what looks like (from an animation standpoint) a long window with good reach on the L2 parry about trying it out. In part because it would mean I'm stashing my shield which gives me enough extra equip weight to replace my Saints Robes with the Fluted Armor (chest at least) and still keep my equip weight <50%.

I'm liking it, do find it incredibly frustrating at times though. I hope Dark Souls improves upon the camera control and lock on systems, both of which are pretty weak. I'd also like a first person/aim mode regardless of weapon since it would help with exploring the world in general and would make a spell called 'Soul Arrow' actually work like shooting an arrow (without me having to use a bow to aim then change to the spell).

Drek said:
About 11 hours in with my first character and had a few questions:

1. Does the 'Cloak' spell and the Thief Ring have the same effect? Do they stack and further reduce your range? Cloak is cheap and I'm playing a offensive magic/swordsman type so if all it takes is a quick cloak spell to free up a ring slot I'm all for it.

2. Anyone play a dual wielder? I just got the Mercury Rapier +1 in 3-1 and already got the Crescent Falchion +1 from 4-1. Thinking with the Rapier's quick L1 stab and what looks like (from an animation standpoint) a long window with good reach on the L2 parry about trying it out. In part because it would mean I'm stashing my shield which gives me enough extra equip weight to replace my Saints Robes with the Fluted Armor (chest at least) and still keep my equip weight <50%.
like thorin said, ring + spell do not stack. this goes for both thief ring + cloak (for PvE) and graverobber's ring + hidden soul (for PvP).

with my latest character i've taken to 2-handing the meat cleaver at all times and going super light. i swing slow, hit hard, and move quick. its proving to be an interesting method. my efforts into successfully dual-wielding were less than fun. it just doesn't feel like "true" dual-wielding since the left-hand weapon doesn't behave quite in the same way as the right. it'd be nice if dark souls worked more of a combo system in to provide an additional layer of combat strategy when dual-wielding.

Drek

Rabbitwork said:
like thorin said, ring + spell do not stack. this goes for both thief ring + cloak (for PvE) and graverobber's ring + hidden soul (for PvP).

with my latest character i've taken to 2-handing the meat cleaver at all times and going super light. i swing slow, hit hard, and move quick. its proving to be an interesting method. my efforts into successfully dual-wielding were less than fun. it just doesn't feel like "true" dual-wielding since the left-hand weapon doesn't behave quite in the same way as the right. it'd be nice if dark souls worked more of a combo system in to provide an additional layer of combat strategy when dual-wielding.
I've found you can work a little bit of a combo follow up, but ultimately you need to view the off-hand as more a rapier/main gauche type of equation where it is primarily for your parries, hence why I'm thinking about giving the Mercury Rapier a shot, its L1 is a short but quick forward thrust and its L2 is an elongated swooping parry motion. If contact with the blade's hit box is all it takes to open an enemy up for a riposte it could be a quick and deadly way to dispatch lighter weight humanoids.

Think I might swing back to 1-1 and give it a shot tonight, after finishing 3-1. I played the bait and run game on the red dragon in 1-1 so I've already got a Purple Flame Shield (up to +4 now I believe) so thats pretty hard to beat, especially if I know I'm facing a fire user, but it'd be an interesting option for running through easier stages.

Fox1304

Finally finished my fist playthrough tonight.

Ending impessions :
VERY dissapointed. Went through the white maiden from world 5 to the end of the game, not a once of difficulty in the last two boss, very dull presentation and nothing exciting. And then, bam, end of the game. Nothing, just a few words, and nothing interesting or epic. Should have been the cherry on top of an epic and thrilling game, but actually it was nothng like that. A weak larva as final boss, without any epic fight before ', easy to dodge, no life, and no damage ? Where is the real Demon's Soul in this endgame ? :(

sublimit

Banned
I just got back to this awesome game and i was wondering what are the most efficient weapons and shields for world 5?Is the meat cleaver a good choice?

Ill Saint

Fox1304 said:
Finally finished my fist playthrough tonight.

Ending impessions :
VERY dissapointed. Went through the white maiden from world 5 to the end of the game, not a once of difficulty in the last two boss, very dull presentation and nothing exciting. And then, bam, end of the game. Nothing, just a few words, and nothing interesting or epic. Should have been the cherry on top of an epic and thrilling game, but actually it was nothng like that. A weak larva as final boss, without any epic fight before ', easy to dodge, no life, and no damage ? Where is the real Demon's Soul in this endgame ? :(
The False King wasn't an epic enough fight? It's an epilogue that rounded things of very well, I thought, and in keeping with the spirit and mood of the rest of the game.

Fox1304

Ill Saint said:
The False King wasn't an epic enough fight? It's an epilogue that rounded things of very well, I thought, and in keeping with the spirit and mood of the rest of the game.
If False king is the boss of world 1, yes indeed it was an epic fight. But it's not a conclusion, I killed 3 bosses after it, went through nearly two worlds.
I was hoping for a really incredible final boss, maybe followed by a moment more intimate such as the maiden from world 5, or like the actual final boss ...

Ill Saint

Fox1304 said:
If False king is the boss of world 1, yes indeed it was an epic fight. But it's not a conclusion, I killed 3 bosses after it, went through nearly two worlds.
I was hoping for a really incredible final boss, maybe followed by a moment more intimate such as the maiden from world 5, or like the actual final boss ...
I can see how leaving world 5 for last could take some shine off the finale. Most leave 1-4 until last and False King as the last fight. If you want an epic end-game fight there's always
Old King Doran.

Fox1304

Overall i still find that the game lacks a real story. There's a dense world, with evolved mythology, nice characters, and rich background, but it all seem pointless. You just kill bosses and have no idea about who they are or what they do.
I loved the game, but it would have been so much more with an engaging story ...

Sleepy

Yeah, I'm finding the lack of story a letdown, as well. What's there is awesome, so I would imagine anything else would be gravy.

However, I don't really miss the story when I am actually playing as the sense of dread this game produces just astounds me. Finished Tower of Latria's first world and I was on edge the entire time. Started the Valley of Defilement's first world and again with the fucking falling deaths...

I think I really fucked up my build, but I am not starting over again.

EDIT: I just read the EDGE magazine Dark Souls preview. Hype-train a-comin'.

Drek

So just got done a little 1-1 run with my mercury rapier +1/crescent falchion +1 dual wield combo. Got to say I'm pretty impressed with the rapier's parry capabilities. Maybe its just me but with a shield I was probably around a 50/50 success rate on my parries. With the rapier I can consistently catch sword users and riposte them. Even got the blue eyed knight with a riposte off his first swing.

That said, either it doesn't work as well with spears or my timing on spear strikes just sucks (which it does and so its likely this) but I couldn't land a parry on the red eye before he killed me.

I don't think I'll make it my primary means of combat on my first play through (which this is for me) but I'm interested in trying a dual wielder down the road now. Maybe a Hunter or something you primarily uses bows but throw a dual knife combo in there for melee.

thorin

Fox1304 said:
Overall i still find that the game lacks a real story. There's a dense world, with evolved mythology, nice characters, and rich background, but it all seem pointless. You just kill bosses and have no idea about who they are or what they do.
I loved the game, but it would have been so much more with an engaging story ...
I don't necessarily want a more story driven game in Dark Souls, but I'm with you on wanting more backstory. I found the description on the Adjudicator's shield amusing:

Cowardly acts and the eating of birds must not be the deeds of a Hero of Storms. If the one being judged displeases the Adjudicator's master, the Golden Crow, the deceased soul will be gnawed upon until nothing but their bones remain.
oloDy.jpg

Fox1304

thorin said:
I don't necessarily want a more story driven game in Dark Souls, but I'm with you on wanting more backstory. I found the description on the Adjudicator's shield amusing:

oloDy.jpg
I'm not necessarly saying that there must be a story such as usually seen, but it lacks some meaning. Why am I fighting this guy, what has he done, why is it important and why should I care about him, his name, or the consequences of my acts, are things that I think would give more impact to the game.

Facism

Demon's Souls story was told by the gameplay, your character progression and equipment, the environments, the item descriptions, the coop, the invading, the myriad of dumb deaths, getting ruined by Red-eyed skeletons, having the piss taken out of you by an escaping crystal lizard, casting rage of god's to deal with the rats in 5-1 only to find you've killed the dirty woman as well, getting spit-roasted by 2 Maneaters, surviving that spit-roast, only to be charged off the bridge whilst you eat full-moon grass to recover and finally, trolling Garl Vinland with the Scraping Spear in NG ++.

I only Plat my favourite games and baby this has been one of the best games of the generation for me. Platinum was achieved last night :D

Top Bottom