• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Denis Dyack in 1up yours. NeoGAF is "hurting society," justifies having it shut down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Link Man

Banned
Crateman said:
2910q50.gif
:lol

No_Style

MWS Natural said:
Sure they do I've seen countless people state they aren't going to purchase a game because of something random they have read on GAF.

I've also seen a few of them coming back and calling out GAF for hyping those games unfairly. Everything balances out! I'm sure if Mr. Dyack made something like God Hand, people would be singing praises.

onemic said:
I really wonder how many gaffers are still going to defend this guy after this stunt hes pulled.
GauntletFan said:
This thread kinda validates what Dyack was saying.. trying to get through all the pages here is like reading 'the best of Gamefaqs'. Man has this site gone downhill.

Pojo

Banned
Hey Dyack.

How about next time you make a game, address the issues that forum goers find so effin' hysterical. Maybe then it will garner the respect of a Metal Gear game. Did you learn nothing working with Miyamoto and Kojima? Emulate how they act and stop being a hothead.

If I had the ability to make gifs right now, I'd plaster your face on every fail gif I have. Just because I can. Spend less time reading forums and more time hiring an animator.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Does this man honestly think that people think his game is awesome, but lie on the internet just to go with the flow? People will pronounce their love for a game against poor reviews and then some, because they believe it's a good game. But when a good majority of the people on Gaf show nothing but a bad outlook on his game, it's us out to get him, not truth.

This will all be over Aug 20th.

LCfiner

argh! The more I listen, the more upset I get.

He's so fucking condescending. "GAF has potential"

ugh.

"they were so afraid to get their names tagged" BS. no one who posted AGAINST expressed any concern about any dumb tag.

"I'm thick skinned" another jewel. maybe that should be Dyack's tag.

purg3 said:
This is all your fault.

Mark is a champ. Giving an honest opinion of the early build of Too Human (that was considered horrible by others) for an EGM report card was just the right thing to do given the purpose of that magazine feature. The problem is that instead of thinking "there is negative criticism towards my game, I should take the next two years to work on it and fix the issues", it was decided that attacking the critic and several other sources was the right COA.

I will say one example of a similar situation with another developer: Early playtests of the Naughty Dog game Uncharted had critics saying the shooting controls were not very good, and that it took too many shots to kill an enemy. Later builds took this into consideration and the shooting improved based on this constructive criticism. Another situation is with Battlefield Bad Company and how they improved on the game after the Beta had complaints.

And another thing, no one is judging the game when they joke about it, they are judging what you present of the game. Since there is no demo out for people to try, we can only assume how fun it is based on previews (if only they were gone dammit!) and videos. And it isn't like the cutscenes would suddenly get more fun to watch when I have a DVD in my 360 either.

nib95

Banned
I think Dyack believes that with his philosophical edge, we'll somehow be fooled in to not realising his ideas are detrimental to the entire point of forums (the freedom to discuss whatever game you want and voice your opinions on the said game whatever they may be) because somehow that's bad for society lol.

Barakov

Reilly said:
If GAF had influence in the industry, all would be right in the video game world.

Are you talking about the normal posters on Gaf who enjoy great games or are you talking about the hivemind? The hivemind should never have influence on anything.

No_Style

LAUGHTREY said:
Does this man honestly think that people think his game is awesome, but lie on the internet just to go with the flow? People will pronounce their love for a game against poor reviews and then some, because they believe it's a good game. But when a good majority of the people on Gaf show nothing but a bad outlook on his game, it's us out to get him, not truth.

This will all be over Aug 20th.

Earlier. There's a demo coming.

karasu

Reilly said:
If GAF had influence in the industry, all would be right in the video game world.

Yeah right. Half of us wouldn't know what to play if there were no trends to blindly rally against. Once most of the so called brown games like Godhand etc became full of vibrant colors, GAF would go back to calling them 'kiddy' and there would be nowhere else to go. Heads would literally explode due to such a conundrum.

xintin

awesome coming home and seeing these threads :lol
is the podcast worth staying up for, or does the crew just sit there and let him b*tch about things without putting up a fight (again)?

WE'RE GOING DOWN RUNNNNNN

purg3

slept with Malkin
Linkzg said:
Mark is a champ. Giving an honest opinion of the early build of Too Human (that was considered horrible by others) for an EGM report card was just the right thing to do given the purpose of that magazine feature. The problem is that instead of thinking "there is negative criticism towards my game, I should take the next two years to work on it and fix the issues", it was decided that attacking the critic and several other sources was the right COA.

I will say one example of a similar situation with another developer: Early playtests of the Naughty Dog game Uncharted had critics saying the shooting controls were not very good, and that it took too many shots to kill an enemy. Later builds took this into consideration and the shooting improved based on this constructive criticism. Another situation is with Battlefield Bad Company and how they improved on the game after the Beta had complaints.

And another thing, no one is judging the game when they joke about it, they are judging what you present of the game. Since there is no demo out for people to try, we can only assume how fun it is based on previews (if only they were gone dammit!) and videos. And it isn't like the cutscenes would suddenly get more fun to watch when I have a DVD in my 360 either.

I was being sarcastic. I agreed with how that preview was handled. And I actually felt bad for Mark back when Dyack was on the podcast.:lol

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
oh, so THIS is what butthurt means.

and the story in the OP.........i hope to lord the writer was having a go at the whole 'i read philosophy and shakespeare' side of his personality, and he didn't base his hatred of neogaf on that stuff. :lol

Cipherr

punchfaceslow1cl3ou5.gif

Jesus someone shut him the heck up. And to think I felt bad for him when Gaf just railed him for starting that whole "For" and "Against" bet nonsense. Then he goes and pulls this stuff.

Your going to take down Gaf Dennis? Really? Jesus Christ.

purg3 said:
I was being sarcastic. I agreed with how that preview was handled. And I actually felt bad for Mark back when Dyack was on the podcast.:lol

I was aware that it was sarcastic, but I was still using it as a jumping off point for my post. Sorry :lol

LCfiner

xintin said:
awesome coming home and seeing these threads :lol
is the podcast worth staying up for, or does the crew just sit there and let him b*tch about things without putting up a fight (again)?

WE'RE GOING DOWN RUNNNNNN

Garnett has some valid points. but, um, yeah, it's 90% Dennis.

it's one hour long at the end.

Onemic

The fact that he's now even trying to pin E3 as the problem and not the quality of the game that his team put out at the show, is proof of how delusional this guy is becoming. Nothing is ever his fault, but someone or something else's fault. Pathetic.

Barakov said:
Are you talking about the normal posters on Gaf who enjoy great games or are you talking about the hivemind? The hivemind should never have influence on anything.

GAF doesn't represent anything.

People on here act like they're part of some kind of exclusive club who share exquisite taste, but that couldn't be further from the truth. It's just another forum here.. you have ignorant kids spouting their mouths off, inane fanboys, old nostalgia buffs and people from all over the world with differing opinions.

GAF is a random collection of people with wildly differing viewpoints who are in the same spot from the virtue of having an email address, that's it. In it's defence, it does attract some pretty smart and informed people, but they don't represent the site as a whole. This is why the site is what it is, and that will never change. Gamefaqs is NeoGaf is IGN because the same demographic post at all these boards.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Oh, and one more thing. He should be pissed more at Wired for revealing that you can blow through Too Human in 10 hours. He picked the wrong fight, like our president with Iraq.
OH BUUUUURN!

Speevy

Banned
I have an idea.

Let's take the Metacritic average of Too Human and start a new thread with it in the title.

Then we'll sticky that thread, lock it, and the mods can continually update as the score gets lower and lower.

I'm sure Dyack would be for that.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
The entire point of below 90% on Gamerankings isn't because below 90% is bad, it is because you claim Too Human is your best game. Do you know which game got 90%? Eternal Darkness. That is the benchmark here.

so Eternal Darkness is a great game then? Better than Uncharted?

That sounds like a very conveniently reliable benchmark for a game that's not too popular on GAF

also ALL reviewers got elevated post-event from useless schmucks to heroes who all nailed the ED review?

the 90% bet was a joke, i doubt even Evil was serious about it as it was so obviously a trap.

Well huh... I must only amend that we let it never be asked again, from this day forth, what our contribution to society is.

StuBurns

Banned
ED is their best game, it is ranked at 92%. If Too Human is now their best game, it should be 93% or better.

It will not.

It is better then Uncharted I think.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Hellsing321 said:
:lol :lol :lol This is the best e-drama I've seen in a long time. Thanks Denis! :D

Same here. I cannot believe how much this whole thing is being played out. Whenever David Jaffe goes on a rant it lasts one thread, but Denis wow, he really is bringing the noise.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I have this funny feeling that Derek Smart is taking notes from Dyack over how NOT to start a flamewar with us...

GhaleonQ

You know, a lot of people who want games' meanings to be taken seriously make fun of Kojima for having emaciated arguments, but no one more improperly champions intellectualism in games than Dyack. That section was marvelous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom