• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 |OT3| The Token King

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
On Titan wanting to do public events.

CdyCB3W.gif

GazzaGSi

Forever 304 is the new Forever 29.

I had never been so happy to get a glove as I was last night. Can't wait for that loot anxiety for my hunter and Titan.

Its not like I'm only waiting for one piece on my titan like I am for my hunter, still need 305 chest gauntlets and legs for the titan so thought I'd be sure to get some upgrade along the way working through the milestones but nope lol

Except as 30 you did a bit more damamge and took a lot less. 305 is just to see the number go up.

Its the only reason why I'm still playing, it's little but it's some incentive to play. Plus I want 305 for the cycling PL 300 items from the vendors to infuse with some weaponry.

Strider

PL means nothing and the fact prestige raid doesn't increase that is pretty irrelevant IMO. It's a bigger number for the sake of a bigger number...

The problem with prestige raid is there is no new loot, etc. worth running it for...

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
PL means nothing and the fact prestige raid doesn't increase that is pretty irrelevant IMO. It's a bigger number for the sake of a bigger number...

The problem with prestige raid is there is no new loot, etc. worth running it for...

Prestige raid is only cosmetic, right?

To be honest, I kind of like that. It means you do it for the glory and not because you NEED to hit that next level of power. That was the frustrating part about WoW when I played...For example, I never had a chance to do Algalon when it was relevant content. I did a bunch of Ulduar, but never did the heroic encounters because I wasn't "in" with the core group of buddies. So when they wanted to make a run at heroics, it was the select group only.

If you put an extra hard piece of content in the game that can reward you with the "best possible gear", it's enticing to the hardcore but frustrating to the rest of the playerbase. What solutions exists that doesn't create a divide? I'm sure many of us have played enough MMO's to know that this is not an easy problem to fix.

Zereta

Its not like I'm only waiting for one piece on my titan like I am for my hunter, still need 305 chest gauntlets and legs for the titan so thought I'd be sure to get some upgrade along the way working through the milestones but nope lol

Its the only reason why I'm still playing, it's little but it's some incentive to play. Plus I want 305 for the cycling PL 300 items from the vendors to infuse with some weaponry.

The side game I play in between milestone resets is trying to deck out my armor with mods that I wanna infuse powerful gear into. If the mods system worked better and wasn't just another slot machine, that would be great.

Strider

What solutions exists that doesn't create a divide?

I don't think having a "divide" is a problem. I'd say one of the biggest issues with the end game right now is the fact there isn't a divide. This game is basically Destiny: participation trophy edition... It's perfectly fine to reward people for completing and doing the hardest content in the game with some exclusive and cool stuff... We'll just have to agree to disagree there if you feel the opposite.

But anyway the solution at the moment to eliminate this divide you speak of would be the same as the current solution regarding normal raid+trials gear... Clan engrams.

It means you do it for the glory and not because you NEED to hit that next level of power

Also to be clear no where did I mention that this new loot had to "increase power" or be "required" because it's best in slot and that you'd NEED it... It simply could be worth chasing because it's fun to use and unique...

Garryk

I just hit 305 on my Hunter. How hard is the prestige NF this week? I need to get this trophy and the trials one for plat so I can move on to PC next week.

The only reason I want to do the prestige raid is to finally finish off that arceus shotgun quest and free up a space in my heavy inventory

I wish there was a quest logbook as opposed to odd quest items

Cornbread78

On Titan wanting to do public events.

CdyCB3W.gif

That's me looking at a clan roster that used to have 30-40 playing throughout the day at any point to already down to 10-20 on the weekends.....

Seriously. I wonder if they meant to add a public event and patrols in the Arcology and didn't have enough time to. Such a huge area of the map unused on an already comparatively small map.

I think they purposefully left large portions of Io and Titan open for future expansions. I would wager a good amount of money that the expansion takes place on one of those...

Zereta

Did they add a new Public event to Titan? Feels like a new Weapons Exchange public event spawns.

I kniw there used to be one already, near where Sloan is, this one was closer to the other spawn point.

Raven117

Prestige raid is only cosmetic, right?

To be honest, I kind of like that. It means you do it for the glory and not because you NEED to hit that next level of power. That was the frustrating part about WoW when I played...For example, I never had a chance to do Algalon when it was relevant content. I did a bunch of Ulduar, but never did the heroic encounters because I wasn't "in" with the core group of buddies. So when they wanted to make a run at heroics, it was the select group only.

If you put an extra hard piece of content in the game that can reward you with the "best possible gear", it's enticing to the hardcore but frustrating to the rest of the playerbase. What solutions exists that doesn't create a divide? I'm sure many of us have played enough MMO's to know that this is not an easy problem to fix.
I don't know why people are surprised by this. With the way D2 was designed, there was no way it was going to be anything but cosmetic and bragging rights.

You what also is a missed opportunity? The mid/hard content.

As it stands, most of the content in the game is easy enough. No real challenge. Then you get hit with a nightfall and raid. Nightfall (not knowing the mechanics) and raid (same) can take hours upon hours. And moreover, do it once for the week, and done.

There is no "mid/hard" content like heroic strikes in D1. Something that is just hard enough to demand your attention, but not hard enough where you need mics and all that Jazz.

D1 as "light" on content as it was. Still had something for everyone. Dailies for the casual. Heroic, weekly, nightfall for the mid-hard crowd. Raids for the hardcore.

Of course; the way that disincentived even normal strikes is baffling. Why not a "complete 5 for the week for a powerful engram?)"

Anyway..: just one more tick on the belt of how D2 missed the mark on replayability. It's still fantastic. And loads of fun....just doesn't have a "cruise mode" to move the ball in the down times.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I don't know why people are surprised by this. With the way D2 was designed, there was no way it was going to be anything but cosmetic and bragging rights.

You what also is a missed opportunity? The mid/hard content.

As it stands, most of the content in the game is easy enough. No real challenge. Then you get hit with a nightfall and raid. Nightfall (not knowing the mechanics) and raid (same) can take hours upon hours. And moreover, do it once for the week, and done.

There is no "mid/hard" content like heroic strikes in D1. Something that is just hard enough to demand your attention, but not hard enough where you need mics and all that Jazz.

D1 as "light" on content as it was. Still had something for everyone. Dailies for the casual. Heroic, weekly, nightfall for the mid-hard crowd. Raids for the hardcore.

Of course; the way that disincentived even normal strikes is baffling. Why not a "complete 5 for the week for a powerful engram?)"

Anyway..: just one more tick on the belt of how D2 missed the mark on replayability. It's still fantastic. And loads of fun....just doesn't have a "cruise mode" to move the ball in the down times.

I'm a bit surprised they didn't add any heroic variants to the strike playlist, but I have to imagine it's coming.

The argument always goes "The game just launched, so it's gong to have to build up content" with people saying "But Destiny 1 had SO MUCH STUFF!" Except at launch, it kind of didn't? Time will always tell with shit like this. I'm sure they'll get it figured out. Until then, I can only imagine people will wax and wane like they did with Destiny 1.

Go on Patrol and shoot a Dreg on a level 4 Guardian. Come back 4 DLCs and 2 years later with a max level character sporting endgame gear with perfect rolls and fully optimized abilities and armor. Shoot a Dreg in Patrol again. You do the same damage. Go back to D1 and think “how many activities actually require me to be 400 Light” tho - other than the absolute highest tier of Raids, basically nowhere.

Totally agree with your points but there was a slight bonus from using a weapon that was over leveled, but it maxed out really quickly. Recall that when the Taken Spring update increased max light to 335 it became possible to one-shot the light-eater knights with more sniper rifle archetypes than you could when it was 320.

My feeling (without testing) is this doesn't exist at all in D2 and grinding it to increase your PL for no real purpose feels like a way to make you hate the game, and I'm a little irritated that it isn't better communicated in-game the purpose of PL.

I get that, I’m just saying I can’t think of an example in D2 where I couldn’t damage an enemy.

The majors that spawn in the Flashpoint zones were way higher than the rest of the bad guys and really fucked up my alt.

Dez_

Damn, running around with 2 SMGs with those exotic titan pants is incredibly fun to do. Was actually enjoying the supremacy matches for a change.

The only reason I want to do the prestige raid is to finally finish off that arceus shotgun quest and free up a space in my heavy inventory

I wish there was a quest logbook as opposed to odd quest items

If there was a book people might feel they were forced to complete it, like the grimoire and tracking books added with SRL and beyond. With items you can just delete the item if you have no interest. No artificial pressure, push or drive.

IB and prestige raid have been good examples of what is wrong here. The fact that prestige raid drops cosmetics is whatever but the fact that it's the same shit loot structure of normal to the point of being rewarded tokens for normal raid loot rather than prestige armor is downright silly. And IB with it's effort for duplicates was huge as well. And before the "it's RNG isn't that what you want" crowd pops in, at least in D1 there was a chance that the same gear had a new an interesting roll. What am I supposed to do with 4/5 instances of the IB GL, put a different shader on each? If each roll was different then who knows what could have come from that (maybe one could have been a useful GL which is extremely rare).

Cornbread78

"Let me try out a bunch of mods to modify my playstyle"
"Oh I can't modify my playstyle anymore because I've run out of cash money"

:/

It's just flies in the face with their philosophy to make the game easier to manage as a casual. Sure you can level up quicker and stay up with everyone, but when you get higher in the ranks, it just leads to more grinding for cash..... I'll get to 305 in another month or so, lol.

Zereta

It's just flies in the face with their philosophy to make the game easier to manage as a casual. Sure you can level up quicker and stay up with everyone, but when you get higher in the ranks, it just leads to more grinding for cash..... I'll get to 305 in another month or so, lol.

Exactly. I appreciate that the grind to 305 is fast and quick and accessible to anyone really with enough time. But when you get there, if the game is about experimentation and speccing out armor and builds and playing content:

1. The grind to experiment is not fun.
2. The experimentation itself is limited.
3. There isn't enough non-Nightfall/Raid but still challenging activities for PvE.

Hence, there isn't particularly a casual way to showcase your power when you reach PvE. Where is my PoE-type event? Where are my CoO type events? Other forms of repeatable content?

Destiny 2 will get there but as of right now, the grind once you get to 305 and the gameplay experience is predacated on the player just playing the game for fun. Which I am alright with because I have the flexibility to do what I want/play other games. However, from a player retention standpoint? No bueno.

Kyne

honestly a lot of the token controversy would be solved if it used the smart loot™ algorithm that was in place in year 3 of D1.

Zereta

honestly a lot of the token controversy would be solved if it used the smart loot™ algorithm that was in place in year 3 of D1.

And also if there were fixed rewards to get. Bungie needs to figure out a system that will make getting duplicates make sense because the fact that token rewards (if they are not 300 PL) and legendary engrams stop being useful at all is ridiculous. Takes any excitement out of seeing loot drop. Doesn't matter if they drop more often if they are completely useless.

void666

Banned
Keys from our last run: engine, ventilator, drain. One right next to the other. Thank you!

Calus encounter was glitchy as hell though.

Top Bottom