• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 |OT3| The Token King

I'm really disappointed in the fact that the team working on Destiny 2 didn't seem to learn anything from the live team that did later work on Destiny 1. I think those are the things I miss the most - the record books, the smart loot, the strike loot, the raid loot, etc. They made so many great changes, and Destiny 2 feels like a really good sequel to Destiny 1 that has nothing from post-TTK.

Raven117

I'm a bit surprised they didn't add any heroic variants to the strike playlist, but I have to imagine it's coming.

The argument always goes "The game just launched, so it's gong to have to build up content" with people saying "But Destiny 1 had SO MUCH STUFF!" Except at launch, it kind of didn't? Time will always tell with shit like this. I'm sure they'll get it figured out. Until then, I can only imagine people will wax and wane like they did with Destiny 1.

I was specifically referring to Vanilla D1. Even for as light of content it had...It least gave a little something for everyone to do.

D2 in its current form is lacking the content that is hard enough to demand your attention, but not hard enough to demand a mic. (Ie heroics). And on top of that, gives no reason to do strikes at all.

If they were able to fix this issue, then it would give a pretty good pop to the endgame. Wont "fix" it, but it will at least give some more to do.

Also, man...legendary engrams dropping used to be fun. Now that they drop lower than your PL, it is a non event. That kinda sucks.

Edit: Shoot, why not they say "5 Strikes for Powerful Engram Weekly" Every 5 stikes after, get a 300 level PL (or whatever one is proper). Even this would give some insensitive to grind stuff out. Its amazingly limiting end game to get the final pieces of loot you need.

I'm really disappointed in the fact that the team working on Destiny 2 didn't seem to learn anything from the live team that did later work on Destiny 1. I think those are the things I miss the most - the record books, the smart loot, the strike loot, the raid loot, etc. They made so many great changes, and Destiny 2 feels like a really good sequel to Destiny 1 that has nothing from post-TTK.

Yeah, during the end of d1 leading up to d2 I kept thinking/hoping a lot of what we had in d1 would make its way over into d2 right from the start, there was just so much to do and so many great systems in place. Obviously, d2 wasn't going to have that amount but some of the systems should've carried over (the books, strike loot and scoring system, etc.) but to just start all over basically with NOTHING from d1 was the biggest shocker.

Well, it has been suggested that the reason some of the stuff from Year 3 (QoL, playlists, etc) aren't in Destiny 2 as of yet is because it was well into development when RoI was released thus making it difficult to implement some of that stuff.

I don't know how much of that I can buy into.

I know one thing, there are just so many inconsistencies with the Economy/Currency system that simply doesn't flow well with the loot/reward systems and the Token slot machines. All of this stuff is something they really needed to get right and working extremely well in conjunction with one another yet it feels completely slapped together while making almost no sense whatsoever. Mind-boggling.

ocean

Banned
I was specifically referring to Vanilla D1. Even for as light of content it had...It least gave a little something for everyone to do.

D2 in its current form is lacking the content that is hard enough to demand your attention, but not hard enough to demand a mic. (Ie heroics). And on top of that, gives no reason to do strikes at all.

If they were able to fix this issue, then it would give a pretty good pop to the endgame. Wont "fix" it, but it will at least give some more to do.

Also, man...legendary engrams dropping used to be fun. Now that they drop lower than your PL, it is a non event. That kinda sucks.

Edit: Shoot, why not they say "5 Strikes for Powerful Engram Weekly" Every 5 stikes after, get a 300 level PL (or whatever one is proper). Even this would give some insensitive to grind stuff out. Its amazingly limiting end game to get the final pieces of loot you need.
Vanilla didn’t have a Heroic Strike playlist, it was 1 a week.

Instead of 1 Heroic + 1 Nightfall now we have two levels of Nightfall.

Sources of level-cap gear in Vanilla: Raid + Exotics
TDB: Raid + Xur’d Exotics
HoW: PoE + IB + Trials (sources of Etheric)
Y2/3: messy transition ranging from endgame only at the beginning to just about anything anywhere anytime by the end of it.

D2: Flashpoint, Call to Arms, Nightfall (+ Prestige), Raid, Trials, Clan engrams (4x), Clan weekly contribution, Exotic quests

We’re way closer to Y3 in terms of amount of stuff to do each week for progression than we were in Y1. Like, significantly.

joecanada

hey all just been grinding but looking forward to start raiding again and IB and stuff.......

So I made it past the 265 hump and it was pretty tough, so with the weekly update I did some luminous engrams through the weekly clan stuff, one story mission (patrols), and a few other things I think a random pub event gave me a bright....

So my vendor purples are still 265? and my blues are still 263 even though my max level is about 270... so I am guessing I will need some more "powerful gear" to go up even more to get my vendors above 265? Also I haven't done any of the weapon story missions so I could do those but was trying to hold off for around 300....

Also how hard are the nightfalls/raids this time around , haven't tried any yet mainly haven't had the time , but maybe this weekend at 270 ish I could do some?

Also has anyone found a big disadvantage in IB this time around or trials? Like if I am 270ish will I be wrecked by 305? in destiny 1 I know it barely mattered....

Raven117

Vanilla didn’t have a Heroic Strike playlist, it was 1 a week.

Instead of 1 Heroic + 1 Nightfall now we have two levels of Nightfall.

We had the weekly, the Nightfall...and...weren't there different levels of strikes? Like Dragon Playlist (I know this was added later...in year 1). Just can't remember honestly.

Regardless...the point was that there is no mid/hard content that can keep you engaged enough to not cruise, but not crushingly difficult.

LTWood12

We had the weekly, the Nightfall...and...weren't there different levels of strikes? Like Dragon Playlist (I know this was added later...in year 1). Just can't remember honestly.

Regardless...the point was that there is no mid/hard content that can keep you engaged enough to not cruise, but not crushingly difficult.

That different tiers of playlist entered once expansions started. Vanilla it was just a strike playlist.

It's simple really, a game that ask you to and expects you to repeat content over and over again has to continually come up with ways to at least somewhat keep that content fresh regarding replayability and unfortunately Destiny 2 doesn't seem interested at all in doing that.

The content is like it's rewards/loot..if you've completed it or acquired it once, well, you know the rest of the story.

ocean

Banned

There were 4 Strike playlists.

Vanguard Eagle: Level 18 (10 rep per Strike)
Vanguard Viper: Level 20 (2 Vanguard Marks, 12 rep)
Vanguard Wolf: Level 22 (3 Vanguard Marks, 14 rep)
Vanguard Tiger: Level 24 (6 Vanguard Marks, 25 rep)

Do the depressing math and you’ll see just how ridiculous the grind to Vanguard Rank 3 was to buy legendary armor, and how scarce Marks were to buy stuff. We are, comparatively, *showered* in rewards by the current Strike playlist. Note, none of these were “harder” than the others if you had the right level. Running a Tiger Strike at Level 24 was the exact same difficulty as running an Eagle at Level 24 (or level 18 for that matter).

LTWood12

That different tiers of playlist entered once expansions started. Vanilla it was just a strike playlist.

Do the depressing math and you’ll see just how ridiculous the grind to Vanguard Rank 3 was to buy legendary armor, and how scarce Marks were to buy stuff. We are, comparatively, *showered* in rewards by the current Strike playlist. Note, none of these were “harder” than the others if you had the right level. Running a Tiger Strike at Level 24 was the exact same difficulty as running an Eagle at Level 24 (or level 18 for that matter).

oh shit you're right. I'd completely forgotten.

TsuWave

I'm looking at the trophy list for D1 and saw "Flawless Raider" lmao man bungie was on some shit back then, no way they would have had a trophy like this in D2. only 2.2% of players have got that trophy. I still remember the night when i got it, i was so hyped/happy. Not gonna lie man D1 had some "moments" i'll never forget.

hey all just been grinding but looking forward to start raiding again and IB and stuff.......

So I made it past the 265 hump and it was pretty tough, so with the weekly update I did some luminous engrams through the weekly clan stuff, one story mission (patrols), and a few other things I think a random pub event gave me a bright....

So my vendor purples are still 265? and my blues are still 263 even though my max level is about 270... so I am guessing I will need some more "powerful gear" to go up even more to get my vendors above 265? Also I haven't done any of the weapon story missions so I could do those but was trying to hold off for around 300....

Also how hard are the nightfalls/raids this time around , haven't tried any yet mainly haven't had the time , but maybe this weekend at 270 ish I could do some?

Also has anyone found a big disadvantage in IB this time around or trials? Like if I am 270ish will I be wrecked by 305? in destiny 1 I know it barely mattered....

You have to reach a certain soft cap with your light in order for your blues and purples to drop at higher levels. Once you hit 305, even blues have the potential to drop at 300 light.

The weapon story missions will usually drop at a higher level, but there's no harm in holding out until you're 290 - 300.

There are no light advantages in Trials or Iron Banner this time around. You could go in at 190 and still be OK.

The Raid has its tough moments, but it's more arduous than anything else. If you go in with a group of people that know it well you won't have any trouble. Nightfalls provide a nice challenge, but they're definitely doable at your level. If you have a team that communicates, you'll be fine.

ch4fx_

I'll probably miss some things, but wanted to answer real quick so this didn't get overlooked. Maybe someone else can help with what I missed/overlooked --

At 270, you're fine for Nightfalls & the raid. D2 has a guided games feature you can use to run the Nightfall if you don't already have a squad, or (I recommend) posting in here for help when you're free.

265 is the soft cap for leveling, meaning you can't progress past that without POWERFUL ENGRAMS, or exotics. Each week, on Tuesday, you get a new set of weekly milestones. Completing these will reward you with powerful engrams, which is what you need to slowly push your PL to 300+.

Once you hit 280, you get access to legendary mods, which give a +5 power bonus to any armor/guns they're applied to. Keep in mind kinetic mods are SUPER RARE, so make sure to apply them to a gun you really like.

Join a clan. The weekly rewards you get from them, & for contributing, will also help you push your PL up towards 300.

The first post in this thread has some very helpful links to help you maximize your time & get leveled up as quickly as possible.

Dont forget to HAVE FUN.

EDIT - wanted to mention it again, HAVE FUN.

EDIT 2 - Feel free to add me if you're on PSN, my PSN/GAF names are the same. I'll be happy to run the Nightfall with you this week & any other weeks you may need/want help.

Zereta

I don't know man, I kinda expected it. Do I wish the teams spoke more to each other? Absolutely, but I suspect game development is a little more complicated than that.

Seasons is being run by the Live Team. I think that's where you're gonna see some of this work coming back in.

V1ctIm

Neo Member
I hit 302 on my hunter main and started my alts. They're in the 280s-290s now and I have all the weapons I really like to use so I'm drifting away from D2 right now. You couldn't have clawed me away from D1 for a solid two years (first thing that did was Bloodborne), but this does not have the same appeal--I haven't done the raid and have no real interest in it, I don't feel the urge to hit 305 on all my dolls, and I only really want more IB items so I've lost most of my interest which is sad. Hopefully the expansion will sort out some of the loot/economy issues because even when IB items are at stake, the token grind is arduous at best. :(

Cornbread78

Does the clan rewards keep stacking or do they disappear at reset?

My buddy didn;t log on for a couple weeks and told me this week that Hawthorne gave him "a million" clan engrams, so I guess they are sacking?

I'm not sure if I agree with that if it is the case.....

v1perz53

When you get around 300, it changes. At 304, you can no longer use exotics as a way to increase PL

I'm not sure exactly how it works, but my warlock is 303 and this week got 3 exotic engrams to decrypt at the cryptarch (real exotic engrams not powerful engram exotics). Two of them decrypted to 305, one to 304. Used one for infusion to get my boots up to 305. I can't imagine it would suddenly change at 304 to then never give 305 exotics, but who knows, Bungie's system has done weirder things before.

rezn0r

I'm not sure exactly how it works, but my warlock is 303 and this week got 3 exotic engrams to decrypt at the cryptarch (real exotic engrams not powerful engram exotics). Two of them decrypted to 305, one to 304. Used one for infusion to get my boots up to 305. I can't imagine it would suddenly change at 304 to then never give 305 exotics, but who knows, Bungie's system has done weirder things before.

I didn't keep exact track (had to travel) but it happened to me too, I was pumped thinking I could just use exotics to get the last few levels and suddenly they were dropping in the 290s always. I feel as though I'm stuck completely at the mercy of the weekly milestones to get the last level, as I need boots on warlock & hands on Titan - if I'm wrong someone please fill us in!

v1perz53

I didn't keep exact track (had to travel) but it happened to me too, I was pumped thinking I could just use exotics to get the last few levels and suddenly they were dropping in the 290s always. I feel as though I'm stuck completely at the mercy of the weekly milestones to get the last level, as I need boots on warlock & hands on Titan - if I'm wrong someone please fill us in!

I just remind myself every week that 305 doesn't actually increase my power at all, and it is just a visual number, but I still want to get to it. To me, it isn't annoying not having my character at 305, but it is annoying getting nothing of use from powerful engram sources each week, so the REASON why I'm not 305 yet is frustrating, not the FACT that I'm not 305.

Anyway, power level in this game is an illusion anyway, even moreso than light was towards the end of Destiny 1 (I know it mattered a lot in vanilla). You don't get benefits for being higher, it just removes the penalty you had for being too low. I don't think there's any content in the game where your damage delt or taken is different between 300 and 305.

Doesn't stop me from wanting to get it tho! If only because at 305 I can buy 300 engrams occasionally to more easily infuse up other gear to try out.

Mindlog

Dang, was literally one Nightfall run away from doing what Eso did to solo the Boss.

Will be running help on Prestige tonight for anyone that needs it. Hoping for at least 6 more clears before reset.

why can't Failssafe give my god darn Gauntlets?
45 packages, no gauntlets

Bungie seriously needs to change its RNG to try to figure out that if one has an 80% armor set, clearly wants to complete it.

in Destiny 1, I just bought my armor straight up from FWC, New Monarchy and Dead Orbit for my three characters

Patch notes:

1.0.5 The one about raid keys.

General
To avoid erroneous removal of raid keys, they will no longer be removed upon hitting the weekly reset
Raid keys are also no longer removed upon creating a new character
Raid keys are also no longer removed upon logging into alts for the first time in a new week
Fixed an issue where a kinetic weapon would always be equipped after certain supers expired
Fixed an issue where Nessus scout reports would not add waypoints to certain chests

Companion

Android
Fix for some Milestones not showing in the Progress section
Fix for English text showing in the Gear section for non-English languages
iOS
Added the ability to look up clans by name (exact matches only)
Fix for some Milestones not showing their name and icon
Web
Added the ability to look up clans by name

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/Update/46410

rezn0r

Doesn't stop me from wanting to get it tho! If only because at 305 I can buy 300 engrams occasionally to more easily infuse up other gear to try out.

I totally agree with everything you said, but that last line there is exactly why I care so much. I just want to start infusing things I like to a useful level without relying on the milestones!

shermas

Because I hate myself and I keep trying to justify playing this game (I do enjoy the shooting/dancing/random people you meet), I was grinding strikes last night on my last dude that's not 305 and these two points totally nailed what I was feeling.

Seeing a purple drop, then seeing that it's 294 is so MEH. Even if it was 300, I'd *feel* better about the reward. For a brief time, I was infusing everything just to use up my legendary shards, but now I don't even care about that.

Then, at the end of the night, capped out on glimmer and with two exotic engrams, I returned to the tower. I received two dupes from the exotics (including a piece of armor that I was wearing at the time) and ended up blowing 15k to put a shader on my ship just because I'm tired of buying mods.

My 304 dude just needs gloves (as he has for two weeks) and it's so weird that, now that the weekly stuff is complete for me, there's no way to just play for the reward. With exotics not rolling out higher, I can't even pray to RNG goddess for an exotic, then pray again that gloves roll out.

Life is kind of hectic right now and I don't really have the set up for a couple of uninterrupted hours to raid and communicate, so I know I'm not taking advantage of all the PvE content to level up, but I can't be alone. Only, what, 20% of the population has done the raid?

Olengie

I honestly just save my tokens in the case one of the vendors happen to be giving out 300 Engrams when I'm playing. lol.

shermas

Dang, was literally one Nightfall run away from doing what Eso did to solo the Boss.

Will be running help on Prestige tonight for anyone that needs it. Hoping for at least 6 more clears before reset.

I'd love to try the Prestige tonight... my PSN is Shermas78. We cleared it yesterday on regular with about 5 minutes left.

One tip I learned in the room with three plates... clear the original adds, then everyone jumps on a plate at the same time and soon as it says 3/3 activated, run for the gate... saved so much time and I never realized you could do it that way.

You can do the same thing in the beginning, with the two plates... SGA to save a few minutes.

Dez_

I was hoping the maintenance would be fixing the issue where everyone doesn't always spawn in the raid. I only get to raid once a week, but it seems to pretty much happen every time. It's really irritating.

Mindlog

I'd love to try the Prestige tonight... my PSN is Shermas78. We cleared it yesterday on regular with about 5 minutes left.

One tip I learned in the room with three plates... clear the original adds, then everyone jumps on a plate at the same time and soon as it says 3/3 activated, run for the gate... saved so much time and I never realized you could do it that way.

You can do the same thing in the beginning, with the two plates... SGA to save a few minutes.
No problem. I'll give a heads up when I can run. Hoping for ~7PM EST start, but no guarantees.

As long as the door is cleared by 15 it's all good.
After the door you can sparrow past everything it's just a little dangerous. Grenades and constant movement will also get the job done quickly.
In the second inside area with all the knights and snipers it's important to jump down on the far left and not in the middle. Jumping in the middle triggers spawns and if possible you always want to have heavy ready or pulses already going when spawns arrive.
That applies to the plate area. Doing all 3 at once is solid, but one at a time can be as easy if grenades are already on the ground when spawns arrive.
The ghost part can be the trickiest. Aggressive add clearing saves you the most time, but naturally dying costs you the most.
After taking the boss shield down twice you can retreat to the far opposite area with an invisible wall behind you. From here spam Titan Barriers and rifts so you can attack the boss while not worrying about adds at all. This part is probably going to save me the most time.

*Speaking of SGA
On Pleasure Gardens, your feet need to be touching the ground for damage stacks.

I did not know this and I have cleared that encounter many times. On more than one occasion I couldn't figure out why my DPS was so low as I'm already cautious about reload buffs removing my stacks. Now I know.

Raven117

Hahaha. Oh man. That grind to level 3 of the vanguard was killer!

In any event, just wish they made slightly more challenging content not only relevant but also nestle between not a nightfall but not a normal strike.

Destiny 1 did have this. D2, there is a big jump between the easy stuff and the hard stuff.

#makestrikesgreatagain

shermas

I was hoping for something more along the lines of:

- added exotic quest for each planetary vendor
- fixed issue with multiple exotic engrams rolling out into previously obtained awards
- fixed issue where successful completion of heroic public event rewarded same number of planetary tokens as starting a normal public event then running away
- added heroic strikes and heroic strike loot table and added milestone/powerful engram for completing five strikes each week

Guppeth

Yes. And I have some Legendary mods but not the ones I want or need. And usually only a few mod types will show on the bottom for me (like weapon mods but not armor). Do I have to create a random mod to get armor?
Keep buying rares. Whenever you have 3 of the same type you will be able to swap them for a legendary of that type. It’s totally random and horribly frustrating.

If you have legendary mods you don’t want, you can dismantle them for a part. For 2 parts and 1000 glimmer you can buy a weapon or armour mod, but it will still be random.

Zereta

I was hoping for something more along the lines of:
- added heroic strikes and heroic strike loot table and added milestone/powerful engram for completing five strikes each week

I bet eventually. I would bump it to 7 strikes a week. 7 HEROIC strikes. Let me do Strikes over and over again, Bungie. Please.

Same for Lost Sectors and Adventures and Meditations. Give me reasons to play them.

Kyne

That's good. Raid keys are perm until you use them show. Should've been that way.

I'm not too sure about that.

When this was announced and implemented (all bugs aside) I was for the restrictions, because any time a new update hits with new exotics what's stopping people from just saving their keys and using them to obtain all the content in the span of a few minutes?

I guess that's their prerogative. I suppose you can put some kind of weird restriction on the chests in the raid where X (X being new seasonal exotics) won't drop.

Bearded Skull

Neo Member

I’d really like to do a prestige Nightfall. I’ve never done one before, though. My PSN is the same as here.

Top Bottom