• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2: The Witch Queen |OT|

Shubh_C63

So i just finished the beyond light campaign and grinding the exotic quests and post campaign stuff before moving to witch queen. Am i right in assuming the seasonal story stuff is pretty much lost forever in game. Not even the cutscenes survive?
Yeah none of the seasonal stuff survives except the Expansion main activity and anything with Battlegrounds in them which goes into Strike playlist.

Bond007

I have a question i cant seem to find an answer for.

I have a Vex Mythoclast in Destiny 1. I got on DIM to refresh my memory and confirm.

I know weapons did not transfer back when 2 launched and my history is alittle murky now and i played D2 for a long time.
Do the collections or exotic retrieval not consider my accomplishments in D1?
Would i have to do the VOG again to retrieve this weapon in any fashion?

Thanks!!

Dthomp

I have a question i cant seem to find an answer for.

I have a Vex Mythoclast in Destiny 1. I got on DIM to refresh my memory and confirm.

I know weapons did not transfer back when 2 launched and my history is alittle murky now and i played D2 for a long time.
Do the collections or exotic retrieval not consider my accomplishments in D1?
Would i have to do the VOG again to retrieve this weapon in any fashion?

Thanks!!

Yeah nothing weapon or armor wise carried over into Destiny 2. Clean slate

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Not sure if serious, or just not paying attention.

Not only do they not let you carry over weapons from the original... they disabled a bunch of weapons from Destiny 2 only to convince you to delete them, then they would bring them back later so you'd have to grind out your rolls again, and then, just now, for fun, they said "fuck it, we're reenabling all those old weapons.... aww did you delete them alweady? poor poor baby. Real shame"

Bond007

Not only do they not let you carry over weapons from the original... they disabled a bunch of weapons from Destiny 2 only to convince you to delete them, then they would bring them back later so you'd have to grind out your rolls again, and then, just now, for fun, they said "fuck it, we're reenabling all those old weapons.... aww did you delete them alweady? poor poor baby. Real shame"

Im serious. Just alittle back story i suppose.
Been day one D1 since beta. But around the time PS5 came out my time with the game dwindled to nothing. Ended up quitting and now returning to Final Shape.
While i know nothing transferred obviously - im not as up to speed with all the changes or how we can tap into old previously owned exotics/legendary gear. It seems clear to me i can only tap into old things i acquired in D2.
When it comes to D2- i dont really delete.

One of the major reasons i quit was Bungies lack of respect for peoples grind. Perfect example now as it seem alot of D1 weapons have returned since i left and they completely erased all history of me previously working hard to have obtained those.
Vex / Gjallorn etc.

I recall some excuse around D2 launch about no D1 weapons- made the pill easier to swallow. But now they are back and i was hoping i could tap into acquiring them.
$24 now via DLC for Gjallohorn when i already had it.
Vex - Do Vault of Glass and pray to RNG gods again? C'mon

#Rantover lol

Last edited:

Raven117

Jokes on them. I never deleted a damn thing because I didn’t trust them.

TFS is still a great time. But I can’t be bothered with a hard grind. (And honestly, it’s better now than it’s ever been)

Dthomp

I'm going to be honest, there isn't a single weapon that was sunset that can hang with any of the current drops in game. It's just another reason to complain over something that is meaningless.

Bond007 Bond007 That cost for the content that brought back Ghally also contains that activity that offers some of the most solid craftable weapons in the game like the BXR Pulse, Grenade Launcher, Shotty, etc. You are paying for a bunch of content not a single gun. I get not having your old guns is a bummer, but reacquiring most is not overly hard outside of Vex since it's a raid drop, but the changes to the raid rotator list makes it infinitely farmable the weeks that VoG is the weekly raid.

I mean, I am a very vocal person that I've hated some of the things they have done over the years, but if they just somehow gave everybody VoG weapons, there would be no reason to bring back the raid at all, plus the guns (outside of Vex) all have random rolls now instead of D1 where it was a static one.

If you have any questions Bond007 Bond007 about where/how to acquire anything specific I'm glad to try to help out with where to point ya.

Bond007

I'm going to be honest, there isn't a single weapon that was sunset that can hang with any of the current drops in game. It's just another reason to complain over something that is meaningless.

Bond007 Bond007 That cost for the content that brought back Ghally also contains that activity that offers some of the most solid craftable weapons in the game like the BXR Pulse, Grenade Launcher, Shotty, etc. You are paying for a bunch of content not a single gun. I get not having your old guns is a bummer, but reacquiring most is not overly hard outside of Vex since it's a raid drop, but the changes to the raid rotator list makes it infinitely farmable the weeks that VoG is the weekly raid.

I mean, I am a very vocal person that I've hated some of the things they have done over the years, but if they just somehow gave everybody VoG weapons, there would be no reason to bring back the raid at all, plus the guns (outside of Vex) all have random rolls now instead of D1 where it was a static one.

If you have any questions Bond007 Bond007 about where/how to acquire anything specific I'm glad to try to help out with where to point ya.

I appreciate that- and your comments make a ton of sense. I was just hoping i could tap into what i already owned now that they are back or even acknowledge them in my collections. Is what it is.
I may have to bite the bullet and purchase that content then.

Dthomp

I appreciate that- and your comments make a ton of sense. I was just hoping i could tap into what i already owned now that they are back or even acknowledge them in my collections. Is what it is.
I may have to bite the bullet and purchase that content then.

Pick up old content as you want to run it, Ghally is nice but I wouldn't rush to get it back there are other rockets that can do the trick or that are better. I think you can get after building up whatever currency you need for it the Dragons Breath from the exotic kiosk and it's pretty great. There should be quite a few old seasonal exotics you can get over time, and Xurs new rework also will have exotics so as long as you play in some of the playlist activities (Vanguard/Crucible/Gambit...ugh) you'll get strange coins to give him for catalysts and other exotics you may want.

Depending on what other DLCs you may have missed, wait for them to do a sale on the Big expansions if you don't have them, I think there is a bundle that has WQ, LF, and the previous one a few times a year. LF story wise sucks, but it unlocks Strand which is a fantastic subclass.

Last edited:

Dthomp

I get that if you play Final Shape you kind of already will have wrapped up the story, but Witch Queen is a top 3 DLC in Destiny history and worth playing just because of how good it was. This was the DLC Strand was supposed to be in so it's interesting to go back and realize how much of the traversal and gameplay would have been even better with Strand there in the proper DLC and not the thing that the C level employees of bungie threw together while the main cast was trying to make a Marathon that nobody cares about.

Bond007

I get that if you play Final Shape you kind of already will have wrapped up the story, but Witch Queen is a top 3 DLC in Destiny history and worth playing just because of how good it was. This was the DLC Strand was supposed to be in so it's interesting to go back and realize how much of the traversal and gameplay would have been even better with Strand there in the proper DLC and not the thing that the C level employees of bungie threw together while the main cast was trying to make a Marathon that nobody cares about.

I have all the expansions via Playstation plus- figured id grab em while they were free if i ever returned.
So i have everything and the Final Shape available to me. So naturally alittle overwhelming figuring what path to go on first while figuring out all the changes.
I knew of the Prismatic subclass since i already got it. Color me surprised to just find out there are two others ones i need to get. lol.

Sounds like Strand should be my first priority?

Dthomp

I have all the expansions via Playstation plus- figured id grab em while they were free if i ever returned.
So i have everything and the Final Shape available to me. So naturally alittle overwhelming figuring what path to go on first while figuring out all the changes.
I knew of the Prismatic subclass since i already got it. Color me surprised to just find out there are two others ones i need to get. lol.

Sounds like Strand should be my first priority?

If you have them all and haven't done them just for story sake you could do Beyond Light first to unlock Stasis as it is also very good but might take longer then LF and unlocking Strand. I won't be super useful for info cause I don't know if they have made unlocks easier then they used to be. I think they may have made Stasis easier to unlock all the fragments for with just glimmer for Elsie but I may be wrong. I think Strand fragments are more annoying to unlock cause you need to get the currency from Neomuna and that place is boring AF. If you just want the subclasses I think you unlock Strand faster but it might be more post story work, they both will take a little time and grinding but I remember BL being much more fun then LF.

I know if you click on the icon from the destinations tab in the top corner I think there is a timeline with some older story beat missions to catch you up on the major story stuff and I think you'll have a marker on each of the planets for BL and LF as well as Pale Heart for each of the campaigns to kind of keep you going in the right direction to get through those without being too confusing I hope. I've usually only taken breaks at or during seasons so I tend to only have the newest stuff to do when it comes around :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
And that's the thing... they were sunsetting weapons so that the replacement weapons didn't have to power creep the old ones to be worth getting. Then they promptly forgot their plan and power crept the fuck out of everything at every possible turn. So sunsetting was a complete failure, and then they only undid it because it was easier than writing their new power level code with the old sunsetting in mind. Lol.

As for exotic weapons, most of them are significantly reworked from what they were in D1 anyway. Gjally for instance is a support rocket. It's not bad for things like Onslaught add clear, but its main purpose is to buff other people's legendary rockets now. And any decent legendary rocket will out-DPS it head-to-head.

I have zero issue with D1 guns having to be re-earned such as it is. But I'm still annoyed that I bought some silver in D1 just to support the game and then while they let me import my character into D2, they didn't let me transfer the silver, or pool it between the two games. And hey 7+ years since and they haven't gotten another penny for cosmetics from me. Spent that excess cash on Rocket League.

Forth

I'm playing on PS5 but I don't like using overear headphones.
I would like to get into the raids but I don't want to frustrate other players in the LFG by having no voice communication.
Can anyone recommend a set of one ear mic headset for voice only? They don't have to be wireless, id prefer to play them into my Dual sense.
Thanks.

Trogdor1123

Logged in to play some last night for the first time in forever. Was a great start to the campaign.

I was looking at my drivers and it said my average fps was 53.xx which seemed really low to me.

I have 5800x3d, an amd 6800, and 32 gigs os ddr 4.

Shouldn’t I be getting more?

It’s not a huge concern at this moment as I’m only on a 1080/60hz screen but I have 120 or 144 on the horizon and I’d like to take advantage of that.

Dthomp

I'm playing on PS5 but I don't like using overear headphones.
I would like to get into the raids but I don't want to frustrate other players in the LFG by having no voice communication.
Can anyone recommend a set of one ear mic headset for voice only? They don't have to be wireless, id prefer to play them into my Dual sense.
Thanks.

I wish I could be more helpful with the headphones, I used to dislike over the head/ear ones but I love the Pulse Sony headset, I can wear it all day with no issues. I'm sure there is likely a third party set to match what you are looking for

so, I joined a LFG team for the GM 12 man activity thing. we got kinda rough start but was able to recover and got to the 2nd half of the fight. the leader said don't damage the Witness during the first 2 damage phase and we would have unlimited time to do damage on the 3rd phase, that and we should just stay at the Saint-14 bubble and just shoot at the Tormentors from there since heavy ammo box would keep respawning behind the bubble. so we actually got to 3rd damage phase and got the Witness down to 40% health but 9 out of the 12 Guardians had die to the Witness blast thing. me and the other 2 was able to chip the Witness down to 30% before both of them also died and I was the last one left. I just keep working on it switching between Outbreak and Microcosm, since the heavy ammo box would still respawn behind Saint's bubble when you wait long enough. I was able to chip the Witness down to 10% or so but then I choked and stepped forward too soon and died to one of the blast's leftover wake. was so bumped that I lost it when it's so close, but oh well. at least I'll know what to do next time.

Dthomp

so, I joined a LFG team for the GM 12 man activity thing. we got kinda rough start but was able to recover and got to the 2nd half of the fight. the leader said don't damage the Witness during the first 2 damage phase and we would have unlimited time to do damage on the 3rd phase, that and we should just stay at the Saint-14 bubble and just shoot at the Tormentors from there since heavy ammo box would keep respawning behind the bubble. so we actually got to 3rd damage phase and got the Witness down to 40% health but 9 out of the 12 Guardians had die to the Witness blast thing. me and the other 2 was able to chip the Witness down to 30% before both of them also died and I was the last one left. I just keep working on it switching between Outbreak and Microcosm, since the heavy ammo box would still respawn behind Saint's bubble when you wait long enough. I was able to chip the Witness down to 10% or so but then I choked and stepped forward too soon and died to one of the blast's leftover wake. was so bumped that I lost it when it's so close, but oh well. at least I'll know what to do next time.

That battle is a slog, did it with clanmates and honestly I will never step foot in there again after getting the catalyst. Thought the game was going to explode a few times in the encounter due to all the particle effects and guardians doing stuff. If you end up in again, make sure the group after 2nd damage phase farms back up to 20 revives so you can get it done

That battle is a slog, did it with clanmates and honestly I will never step foot in there again after getting the catalyst. Thought the game was going to explode a few times in the encounter due to all the particle effects and guardians doing stuff. If you end up in again, make sure the group after 2nd damage phase farms back up to 20 revives so you can get it done

yeah, might try it tomorrow or something. I think the key point is just to make sure everyone understand that we're not gonna burn the Witness to death and have to just pace ourselves and chip at it safely. it's attack pattern doesn't change so as long as you're not greedy it's not hard to stay alive.

LordOfChaos

Running an expansion behind...Is Callus at the end of Lightfall the most bullshit boss they've ever made or is it just me? I find I'm better off without strand as it's 50/50 on if it works or gets stuck on something or a tormenter disables your abilities mid swing, I can get him down to 2nd phase 30% of the time but then it's just that tiny ass cramped stage where you're running around trying to make some space which he can close instantly and 1 shot you even levelled appropriately while you try to just tickle his health bar.

Dthomp

Running an expansion behind...Is Callus at the end of Lightfall the most bullshit boss they've ever made or is it just me? I find I'm better off without strand as it's 50/50 on if it works or gets stuck on something or a tormenter disables your abilities mid swing, I can get him down to 2nd phase 30% of the time but then it's just that tiny ass cramped stage where you're running around trying to make some space which he can close instantly and 1 shot you even levelled appropriately while you try to just tickle his health bar.

Are you on Legend difficulty? I know he can be a pain in the ass on legend, not sure if you can still get under the staircase to fight him, that used to be a cheese. I still believe he was easily the hardest campaign boss to solo of any of the legend campaigns. His last stage of health is nuts, basically hold heavy or your super and pray since like you said he can close the distance fast and if I remember right he can also just launch you off the platform to death too.

Dthomp

yeah, might try it tomorrow or something. I think the key point is just to make sure everyone understand that we're not gonna burn the Witness to death and have to just pace ourselves and chip at it safely. it's attack pattern doesn't change so as long as you're not greedy it's not hard to stay alive.

I can't believe how many people still die to witness attacks on this mission, it's like 1/3 the area of effect as the actual raid boss. People just need to learn to descope and move and it would wipe away 10 deaths easy

I can't believe how many people still die to witness attacks on this mission, it's like 1/3 the area of effect as the actual raid boss. People just need to learn to descope and move and it would wipe away 10 deaths easy

haha, yeah. a lot of players are just too focus on damage and taking too much risks.

I ended up joining a LFG that had almost no talking but somehow everyone just knows what to do. we went into the 3rd damage phase of the Witness with more than 10 rez and was able to finally knock that one out. the only person who did talk for a little was some granny it sounds like. really funny stuff.

Top Bottom