• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT| Home of Frabjous Guardians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cømet

Banned
one of them actually bought a ps4 with me at launch...he sold it and bought a wii u...reason: unknown

Buying a Wii U- good
Selling a PS4- bad

lurkers too?

Strikes are suppose to be 1-3 player fire teams correct?...
I think they may have upped that number, from something I seen

Tell us more.... :v

I'm in no rush to get to 25. I wanna enjoy the game rather than rush to the finish, raids will still be there in a few weeks.

Foxix Von

I just canceled my PS4 LE version since I decided it wasn't the best way to spend the money since all I really wanted was the in game bonuses and the real life junk would be tossed into the closet. I just changed it to a digal guardian code on Amazon for $89 but for some reason they applied a $5 coupon to it automatically. I think thats a much better deal than a real LE. >.>

Can't lie, digital seems like a great way to go for a game that's so online oriented with such a jump in and play methodology.

If I could get a better deal on it that way I probably would =/

Unfortunately, or rather fortunately I guess, I've been hoarding coupons at best buy. I've got two 10% off coupons that should stack, a $5 certificate, and a 20% gamers club discount. I should end up paying around 59 bucks for the LE before tax.

What does it mean by "reservation" with the Digital Guardian edition? Do you get the expansions or are you just "reserved" for them (whatever that means)?

Sirim

Only fitting that the controller Bungie had the most input on be the one you use to explore their world.

DS4.

Anastasis

There are two things I can't do right now:

1) Wait for Destiny
2) Keep up with this thread

Anyone post the free t-shirt being given out at Best Buy midnight launches?

f_destinytshirtxx0817_04.jpg

Fitts

That's what I expect. Basically, how fast can you blitz the story mode along with a few strikes? A day or two most likely.

Come to think of it, I'm not really sure how, exactly, the leveling will impact my enjoyment of the game. On one hand, it's nice to feel like you've earned your progress. On the other, I'm really looking forward to cycling through a good amount of endgame loot to pick a handful of favorites and I won't be touching PVP until my character is max level and I'm happy with my gear -- and PVP was my favorite part of the alpha/beta.

Like many things with this game, it's a question mark. There are, however, enough certainties to maintain my atmospheric levels of excitement. :)

NoTacos

What does it mean by "reservation" with the Digital Guardian edition? Do you get the expansions or are you just "reserved" for them (whatever that means)?
When you buy that edition, your psn or gt gets a dlc file that gives you access to the first 2 expansions.

KevinG

The ridiculous amount of money that I have invested in Destiny means I won't be getting any new games for long while. Wife says.

Thyralax

Banned
What is on the 25th?
The Vault of Glass unlocks

To be honest, I expect to get to level 10 within the first 15 hours lol it took me about 5 hours to get to level 8 in beta so 15 hours is generous even with longer leveling times. If so, I may end up using the rest of the week to just did items to boost me to level 25, not sure if I want to completely tackle story mode first though.
I definitely want to have bladedancer fully upgraded by then and optimal gear.

Fitts

There are two things I can't do right now:

1) Wait for Destiny
2) Keep up with this thread

Anyone post the free t-shirt being given out at Best Buy midnight launches?

f_destinytshirtxx0817_04.jpg

It's fine for some free swag, but I think the only Destiny shirt I'd rock in public would simply have one of the guardian class logos.

fig,grass_green,mens,ffffff.u1.jpg

Something like this, but in a different color.

I'm aware of the ones on the Bungie store, but their logos are alternates and just look... not as clean to me.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
naw, i bet it will be considerably slower. like half speed. most people wont be at the level required to play the raid in a week, but a few will. i hit level 8 in 2 days easily, but i'd be shocked if i'm a level 5 or 6 in the same play time.

Depends on what you do in those 2 days. In the beta, playing every story mission on normal mode got you to level 6, a single play through of the Devil's Lair either got you to 7 or within spitting distance and then 2 replays on hard mode had you at 8 (obviously dependent on your individual performance). It was basically 5 hrs of playtime.

This may not be post-worthy for some, and I cant make new threads, but Newegg has a Xbox one + Destiny "bundle" for 399.99. Lasts for 48 hours. Just a friendly heads up.

Yoday

Touchpad is good. Its essentially Select but its placement is much more convenient. Some games also give different menu when you press either side of the pad.
People mocked the touchpad, but it has been a really smart inclusion. For developers that don't want to use it, they can simply treat it like a select button, and it works brilliantly. But if developers do want to do something with it, there is a ton of added functionality since it can be used as two separate buttons, and the swipe functionality has already proven effective in some games like Warframe where being able to swipe in different directions makes for a significantly more intuitive control method over that games default controller layout. I am really hoping we see more developers use swiping as quick selects in the future. I am actually really surprised that Bungie didn't map summoning the sparrow to the right side of the touch pad, or swiping up on it or something.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Hell yes. Working when this releases but will play it on the 10th when I get home. Ghost edition should be nice.

LowParry

Hmm. I suppose I'll check out this Attack on Titan anime while waiting for Destiny. People seem to like it. So why not right?

KevinG

Hopefully Destiny will tide you over for a good few months then eh :p

No wife, same dilemma. Games are damn expensive yo.

Have a daughter (two months old as of yesterday). It's been a good habit to remind myself daily to be thankful that I have have a wife who supports my hobby even if I can get kind of carried away on occasion.

At least I've got enough Xbox money to buy the Masterchief Collection.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Depends on what you do in those 2 days. In the beta, playing every story mission on normal mode got you to level 6, a single play through of the Devil's Lair either got you to 7 or within spitting distance and then 2 replays on hard mode had you at 8 (obviously dependent on your individual performance). It was basically 5 hrs of playtime.

right. my expectation is it would then be about 10. its completely a guess, but there is no reason to think that bungie is full of it when they said that the alpha/beta leveling was accelerated. even 10 hrs to level 8 means we'll see people at raid level in just a few days, just not most. all speculation at this point, but again, why doubt what the devs themselves have said?

Yoday

The Vault of Glass unlocks
Oh, I had no idea they were keeping it locked. That's fine though, that should give us all time to form strike and raid teams. I'm guessing they also want to give people some time to get gear out of the end game strikes before attempting the raid. I could see people who don't know any better attempting the raid undergeared and quitting out of frustration.

Sirim

Did they help Sony design it, or they just gave them ideas?
I'm not sure what your distinction between the two is. If you mean if they did modelling or anything, then no I doubt it. But they were a big think tank and contributor in its design, especially with the triggers to make it more shooter-friendly. Sony also contributed to Destiny in what I assume was the same think tankish way.

Here's a small quote from urk from a techradar interview:

"Sony's been a really good partner all the way back to the beginning when we were first talking next-gen, and when we first started building Destiny," Osborne said. "We really didn't know where anybody was going, but it became really clear talking with Sony at the outset that their vision really aligned with where we wanted to go."

But it was more than their visions aligning - Osborne said Bungie even influenced the PlayStation 4's design.

"They worked with us, of course, on core systems and the controller itself - making it better for shooters, helping improve that for players, helping include and improve the social aspects of the game," he said.

Osborne continued, "But when we lined our pillars up with what we believed we wanted Destiny to do and put them against their pillars with what they wanted the PS4 to do it was like looking into a mirror."

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
bladedancer is supremely tempting, even more for the additional movement options (blink), but i'm actually leaning back towards gunslinger for exploding bodies. 4 or more of them. i love the style of the handcannon, but know that they will undoubtedly suck ass again in multiplayer (sorry marvel), and the golden gun will scratch that swag itch.

bought the digital knowing i'll complain about the game. hopefully i can live with the FOV. most likely won't play until the weekend though.
Bw5EGg8IAAA5AkS.jpg:large

I'm interested in this game but still unsure of what it is. I'm not interested in pvp so in the single player are there end game loot runs for better loot, or once I finish the game with a character that is it?

If it is Diablo Or Borderlands like once I finish the campaign that is awesome and I will play it for a long time going for loot. But if it is a story then pvp I'm not sure its for me. Has there been any mention of what end game content will be like, if any? I heard there will be raids - which I have no major
interest in. Anything else?

Why yes^^ The most recent Bungie weekly update did outline Heroic daily story missions and weekly Heroic Strikes. This will use locations from lower leveled missions but offer post level cap enemies and reward unique late game loot. That way whether you are a PVP guy, Co-op lady, or single player only kind of guardian there will be a away for you to keep the grind for more loot alive^^ (Think D3 bounties and you are on the right track^^)

Chamber

love on your sleeve
right. my expectation is it would then be about 10. its completely a guess, but there is no reason to think that bungie is full of it when they said that the alpha/beta leveling was accelerated. even 10 hrs to level 8 means we'll see people at raid level in just a few days, just not most. all speculation at this point, but again, why doubt what the devs themselves have said?

I just find it somewhat contradictory. Previously they said players would reach the XP cap fast because that's when the real fun begins so to speak but of course, fast is ambiguous. I don't doubt alpha/beta leveling was sped up but I don't think it was sped up to that large a degree. That's just my hunch.

SDCowboy

Why yes^^ The most recent Bungie weekly update did outline Heroic daily story missions and weekly Heroic Strikes. This will use locations from lower leveled missions but offer post level cap enemies and reward unique late game loot. That way whether you are a PVP guy, Co-op lady, or single player only kind of guardian there will be a away for you to keep the grind for more loot alive^^ (Think D3 bounties and you are on the right track^^)

I already knew all this, but just reading about it again almost made my hype meter explode :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom