• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT| Home of Frabjous Guardians

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be working on the night of release. but have the next day off (=D). Will be picking it up on my way back home (for the great amount of $24, ty Target). Gonna pull a 30+ hour no sleep...
Hopefully some GAFers will help beat the sleepiness by doing some strikes
Damn, that's ambitious. I'm working til 6 day of release and I'll be lucky to get 3 hours in the night of release. Responsibilities are the worst.

Foxix Von

Monday night waiting thread will be hilarious.

Good to know I can respec on the fly, but locking feels permanent in a good way IMO.

So happy to see the patch is still in the ghost edition. An earlier unboxing didn't show everything.

I hope we get tons of streams or at least a new video on Monday since we won't get reviews. I want to keep the hype ship flying high.

Oh god it's going to be horrible. My local Best Buy isn't doing a midnight release so I have to wait til morning. I'm going to die.

FFS I don't even want the damn physical edition. I hate owning physical copies of online only games.

Got the text from gamestop about midnight release and getting there at 10 pm....I think I will go at 12:15, sit in the car, and wait till it clears out. Never have enjoyed a midnight release nor the company of the obnoxious people that seem to go to ones I am at.

Foxix Von

Got the text from gamestop about midnight release and getting there at 10 pm....I think I will go at 12:15, sit in the car, and wait till it clears out. Never have enjoyed a midnight release nor the company of the obnoxious people that seem to go to ones I am at.

I think I worked at Gamestop too long, I actually learned to enjoy them.

JohnIIVII

Got more avatars for peeps, if they want to rep GAF, Xbox or PlayStation.
For some reason the black version isn't quite as clean.
I can also do any variation at request.

fO7L95v.png
9nDmLZu.png
nCRvDmz.png

ngiLmq3.png
MxnRuSV.png
VWKXyJ2.png

Thanks! Claimed one!

Sirim

Oh god it's going to be horrible. My local Best Buy isn't doing a midnight release so I have to wait til morning. I'm going to die.

FFS I don't even want the damn physical edition. I hate owning physical copies of online only games.
I, Sirim, Warlock, will personally make it my duty to carry your corpse over my shoulder through all my adventures, through thick and thin, to ensure that a Guardian such as you is not left behind as humanity reaches for the stars.

They will know and respect us across the entire system. You have my word Foxix.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I'm not sure how it works, but on Xbone you can either change your "time zone" or your "location". Changing your time zone just alters the time on the dash, but changing your "location" restarts your system and gives you access to that region's marketplace.

In my case, the New Zealand marketplace. My Destiny "timer" is currently set to unlock on Monday 9/8 at 7am CST. Game is preloaded.
Right. The timer is system local. But when you go to play your, US copy is going to check with its US server and see it's only 7am 9/8. Changing your system's region doesn't change the game's region nor the store's region where the game was purchased from. That's what myself and the other poster are trying to tell you. The unlock is based off of the game's region, not your console's. The only way you'll be playing at 7am Monday is by buying a copy of the game from the NZ store.

I think I worked at Gamestop too long, I actually learned to enjoy them.

Last time I went to one was for gta5 I believe...there was a dudebro trying to recruit people in line for the marines or something, people in line smoking and blowing the smoke back in line, they turned the sprinklers on at 11:30 which then made the entire line move and get out of order, so people just started cutting. I just said fuck it and went to wait in the car.

Right. The timer is system local. But when you go to play your, US copy is going to check with its US server and see it's only 7am 9/8. Changing your system's region doesn't change the game's region nor the store's region where the game was purchased from. That's what myself and the other poster are trying to tell you. The unlock is based off of the game's region, not your console's. The only way you'll be playing at 7am Monday is by buying a copy of the game from the NZ store.

Not sure how it on PS4 and X1, but on the PS3 when GTA 5 came out, I changed the time to NZ time and went offline (before NZ release) and it wouldn't let me do anything until I connected to PSN, so I assume it will need some sort of activation on the server when the time comes.

Edit: And it wouldn't let me play by midnight NZ time

Arrrammis

so is hunter best pvp class because of golden gun alone or is there anything else

Supers is definitely not the biggest thing for PVP IMO. But if that's what you're focusing on, each class' super have advantages. Golden Gun can be aimed better, so you can get 3 kill pretty consistently, but unless you get the upgrade that makes targets explode, you can only get 3. With the Titan's, it has no windup time, and kills all enemies in a radius, which means no kills are guaranteed, but you could also wipe out the whole enemy team if they're all together. Warlock's is similar in that way to the titan's, but warlock has 1-2 seconds windup, but then the warlock's super can be used from a distance.

This isn't including the other subclasses(no time to test those yet) or the upgrades for each, but you can get the general idea. Only way to find out what's best is to play it yourself.

Warlocks for life!

mcfrank

You are guessing that it won't work based on assumptions of how it works, we are hoping it will work based on some assumptions as well. But the game is region free. When I look at the NZ store it shows that I have already purchased Destiny. When I look at the USA store it says I have purchased Destiny.

Destiny is region free, my xbox is region free, my xbox thinks it is in New Zealand, my xbox dashboard says it will unlock at 1201 NZ time. The evidence points to it working and to me that outweighs assumptions.

E92 M3

Been busy all day. Anyone know the answer?

Went with DGE on PS4, still getting "cannot download Vanguard Armory". I figured after the PS4 announcement regarding digital preloading it would fix itself. Anyone else still in the same boat?

Does deleting and re-downloading solve it?

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/09/05/destiny-preload-now-and-prepare-for-tuesday/

Have this exact same issue. Annoying.

Vanguard will be available for download on the 9th, guys.

borghe

Not sure how it on PS4 and X1, but on the PS3 when GTA 5 came out, I changed the time to NZ time and went offline (before NZ release) and it wouldn't let me do anything until I connected to PSN, so I assume it will need some sort of activation on the server when the time comes.

Edit: And it wouldn't let me play by midnight NZ time
Yes. The game isn't just sitting on your drive and as soon as your clock says 12:01 it magically starts playing. It actually needs the activation code from the store the game was bought from. It's the same thing with games with region locked online play. Even if you play a JPN game on a US console in the US, if online is region locked you still have to play on JPN servers.

His US region game isn't going to contact the NZ store for an unlock even though he set his console to that region.

The getting a last gen version digitally, then upgrading for free does not work in reverse right? Like if I get an xbox one version, will I be able to download it on 360 for free?

Yes. The game isn't just sitting on your drive and as soon as your clock says 12:01 it magically starts playing. It actually needs the activation code from the store the game was bought from. It's the same thing with games with region locked online play. Even if you play a JPN game on a US console in the US, if online is region locked you still have to play on JPN servers.

His US region game isn't going to contact the NZ store for an unlock even though he set his console to that region.

But apparently this workaround worked for Diablo 3 on X1, so we'll see...

Afrodium

Banned
You are guessing that it won't work based on assumptions of how it works, we are hoping it will work based on some assumptions as well. But the game is region free. When I look at the NZ store it shows that I have already purchased Destiny. When I look at the USA store it says I have purchased Destiny.

Destiny is region free, my xbox is region free, my xbox thinks it is in New Zealand, my xbox dashboard says it will unlock at 1201 NZ time. The evidence points to it working and to me that outweighs assumptions.

Good luck, but don't get your hopes up. The US servers will not be unlocked yet at that time, and it's doubtful that setting your clock to NZ time will make your Xbox disregard its US based IP address.

mcfrank

You are stating things as facts that you don't know to be facts. All of the evidence points to this working. The second I changed my region to NZ the dashboard changed what time the game will unlock. So obviously it does ping that regions store.

bgbball31

Amazon?

My preorders usually dont ship until the night before release date.

Mine is from Toys R Us. Got it during a buy one, get one 40% off, so I'm only paying 36 for it. I don't see why they can't get it to me on release day, but they didn't get Second Son to me for release day, so I'm a little worried.

Strider

Mine is from Toys R Us. Got it during a buy one, get one 40% off, so I'm only paying 36 for it. I don't see why they can't get it to me on release day, but they didn't get Second Son to me for release day, so I'm a little worried.

Oh ok. No experience with them so I can't say. Goodluck though :)

borghe

You are stating things as facts that you don't know to be facts. All of the evidence points to this working. The second I changed my region to NZ the dashboard changed what time the game will unlock. So obviously it does ping that regions store.
Again, your console did. Not the game. I personally don't care. I just hope you didn't take time of accounting for this.

Wallach

I've seen people complain about not being able to play until 3am EST, why is that? Aren't these servers going up on Monday?

Edit - Actually it looks like neither console is region locked, so I dunno if it'll work in either case. Currently though the digital unlock time is 3 AM EST for NA.

I think I'm gonna pick this up. I wasn't impressed with the beta or alpha but I want something to hold my multiplayer interests for a while. Next week is looking pretty good for me, Destiny and Fable Anniversary on Steam should keep me busy until Alien comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom