• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT| Home of Frabjous Guardians

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDawgTommy

Neo Member
It just occurred to me that the big Apple conference to reveal the iPhone 6, iWatch (hopefully), and new iOS features is on launch day. Yikes its going to be a busy night.

Guess theres not much better than streaming the Apple gospel while saving the universe with my mad space magic skills!

CLBridges

Dang, time really does fly huh? Seems the Beta was not too long ago, but it's almost time. Warlocks on deck baby!

On another note I need to find a wired solution for my internet. Moved to another place with roommates and the modem is in their room. I really don't wanna Wifi through this lol.

Even if you were to obtain a disc copy, you may have to be whitelisted for access to the servers currently (pure speculation), and you would definitely have to say goodbye to that Guardian by September 9th at the latest. Bungie says we'll be able to play Destiny when it's "September 9th somewhere in the world" (paraphrase). Taken literally, the earliest this can possibly be is 2014-09-09 0000 (+14 UTC) which is still Monday, September 8th in the rest of the world: 1am Pacific Time, 4am Eastern Time and 9am in the UK. The largest group of early players will probably start shortly after midnight in New Zealand and then Australia (disc buyers).

TDawgTommy

Neo Member
Wow. Came back to find the withdrawal thread dead and this wonderful OP alive and in full swing.

Less than a week to go, people, and I bring you a sign:

Umm hmmm, that's right, baby, even the milk knows not to be around when this bad ass drops. The cows have gone home. Time to stock up, draw the curtains, and game on!

This Guardian is ready,

Best I've heard in a while. Bravo sir.

Sketchbag

Banned
Question about lore: how is there not any documents of what happened during the Golden Age? Did it all happen over night? How did they not know they were being attacked. Did people just die?

/confused

Nursezero

Dang, time really does fly huh? Seems the Beta was not too long ago, but it's almost time. Warlocks on deck baby!

On another note I need to find a wired solution for my internet. Moved to another place with roommates and the modem is in their room. I really don't wanna Wifi through this lol.

Powerline adapters work well. I use them for consoles downstairs.

Question about lore: how is there not any documents of what happened during the Golden Age? Did it all happen over night? How did they not know they were being attacked. Did people just die?

/confused

I'm going to assume that it either happened so fast and so many people died that you couldn't really record any details, or said records were destroyed at some point.

Maybe we'll find out in game.

Sirim

/confused
Might be some big conspiracy/event that led to all evidence of that being hidden/destroyed. Maybe the Traveler's Ghosts did it.

I'm on #TeamTravelerAntagonist

Edit: Not too farfetched that it was deliberate. Exos had their Golden Age memories wiped.

Ridley327

In case no one has bothered yet, that Google Maps promotion does net you an exclusive emblem for the game if you decide to visit all points in it, and it's also worth 90 Grimoire points.

/confused

Echoing others, there seems to have been a deliberate effort in-universe to wipe out all records of the Golden Age. By who, nobody knows.

pixxxelz

In case no one has bothered yet, that Google Maps promotion does net you an exclusive emblem for the game if you decide to visit all points in it, and it's also worth 90 Grimoire points.
Or you can just redeem this
7F9-767-F74

thanks datto

/confused

By the time the game takes place, it's been hundreds of years since the battles were at their fiercest. So any hard copy records would likely be destroyed and any digital/electronic records haven't yet been discovered (if they're even still recoverable) because we're just starting to make a major push out from The Last City.

So everything we know of the Golden Age is, at this point, stories passed down from generation to generation and things get lost and distorted like a game of telephone.

TDawgTommy

Neo Member

How does this work exactly? All it seems to do for me is have a sound icon with circles around it.

I played all three classes in the beta and I'm stuck between Warlock/Hunter. I'm leaning towards a Warlock right now, but the Bladedancer Hunter is looking VERY tempting. I love the Death From Above Super for Titans as well.

Blizzcut

Banned
The amount of doom and gloom in the "No early review thread" is absurd and quite frankly dissapointing to see people so petty..at least people here are sane..

Beowulf28

/confused

Going along with this is anyone else completely confused about what the hell the Darkness is supposed to be? The opening of the beta kept mentioning it like we already know what it is. Is the Darkness just the name for all the enemy races? Like the Covenant in Halo?

Space travel + combat >>> forge.

90% of the dev time for Destiny 2 should go towards space travel. The other 10 could be for improving the rest of the game or whatever i dun curr

GhaleonEB

I hope Destiny 2 has forge, I want to make a skate park for sparrows.

I'm sad it doesn't have a full theater mode. Going into this generation I was worried the recording features of the new systems would result in fewer true in-engine theater modes. I'm sad to see that play out with Destiny. RIP picture story posts.

I hope it makes the sequel.

TDawgTommy

Neo Member
Going along with this is anyone else completely confused about what the hell the Darkness is supposed to be? The opening of the beta kept mentioning it like we already know what it is. Is the Darkness just the name for all the enemy races? Like the Covenant in Halo?

To me, it seems like the darkness is like a force of some kind that the other races work for.

Space travel + combat >>> forge.

90% of the dev time for Destiny 2 should go towards space travel. The other 10 could be for improving the rest of the game or whatever i dun curr

Honestly, I'd like to point out SWTOR's initial offering of space combat, which was a fairly boring on-rails mode that didn't live up to expectations as a great reason why Bungie shouldn't even consider Space Combat unless they have a really clear vision of how to build it and an engine that's capable of delivering it in a fun way.

I get that people want it but I'd rather they focus on improving and adding more content that they already do well instead of devoting resources to adding a game mode that could realistically not end up being much fun for the sake of having added it.

The Darkness is

eE8AAtA.jpg

I'm sad it doesn't have a full theater mode. Going into this generation I was worried the recording features of the new systems would result in fewer true in-engine theater modes. I'm sad to see that play out with Destiny. RIP picture story posts.

I hope it makes the sequel.

I honestly think that's something they'll patch in or include an expansion. I hope private matches (crucible) get patched in too or included in an expansion.

Honestly, I'd like to point out SWTOR's initial offering of space combat, which was a fairly boring on-rails mode that didn't live up to expectations as a great reason why Bungie shouldn't even consider Space Combat unless they have a really clear vision of how to build it and an engine that's capable of delivering it in a fun way.

I get that people want it but I'd rather they focus on improving and adding more content that they already do well instead of devoting resources to adding a game mode that could realistically not end up being much fun for the sake of having added it.

Personally I don't want space combat per say, just a mini game during loading that incorporates the ship upgrades. I'm thinking something like an isometric indy looking version of asteroids. Something that can end as soon as everything is loaded up.

Personally I don't want space combat per say, just a mini game during loading that incorporates the ship upgrades. I'm thinking something like an isometric indy looking version of asteroids. Something that can end as soon as everything is loaded up.

That's an interesting concept for sure and with the load times I certainly wouldn't mind something like that.

They might be out of the Limited Edition, preordering Standard should be fine, I think.

Standard is is fine. I am wondering if I should get digital deluxe to get the first 2 expansions. Do you save any money by ordering the special deluxe version now versus buying the expansions later?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I'll make it quick. I have not picked up an online game on release date since GTAIV. I want to be taken into the hype, but the only two systems I have are the 360 and PS3. Meaning I want to play on the PS3 I think, but if the 360 version is better.

The first issue is, how much of a downgrade are they from the PS4/Xbone ones? Two, just wondering how they perform on the 360 and PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom