• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT| Home of Frabjous Guardians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klyka

Banned
Hoping to dig in hard on Tuesday and get as raid ready as possible, I'm apart of a top world guild in WoW and am planning on creating a top destiny raid group using said experience on off nights :D

That is a top idea and I hope you have a top experience in this top world class shooter!

KeRaSh

Yup. And as someone who will never buy an always online game unless priced at throwaway money, this worries me alot.

That's exactly why we only get WOW clones with monthly supscriptions these days,right? :p
I personally don't have a problem with always on if the game benefits from it. Destiny is one of these cases.
I love the coop aspect and it's really cool when a public event appears and you fight this huge thing with a bunch of randoms.

So how much money do you actually save with the Digital Guardian Edition? Do we know the price of the stand-alone expansions? I'm about to pre-order the game but I'm not convinced on what version I should get yet.

You save $10 over retail. Game $60, expansions are $20 each, DGE is $90. Plus the little digital special goodies like emblem and ghost shell^^

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I have to in order to platinum the game lol

That's certainly another reason to do it! In FFXIV, I'm mostly doing it so that when I want to play with my friends and we're minus a tank or a healer, I can sub in for what's needed.

Seil

So how much money do you actually save with the Digital Guardian Edition? Do we know the price of the stand-alone expansions? I'm about to pre-order the game but I'm not convinced on what version I should get yet.

Each expansion will be $20 individually, the Expansion Pass by itself is $35, Digital Guardian at $90 saves $5 on the Expansion Pass and includes the LE digital content(Ghost, Ship and Emblem I believe?).

Yup. And as someone who will never buy an always online game unless priced at throwaway money, this worries me alot.

You have never paid for an MMO? Or multiplayer only game?

But the idea that every game will go this way is a little silly; who has the money for infrastructure to make ALL their games online only? Especially with Indies making up 3/4th of all new games this is not going to happen.

Simo

This is cool:
2EE8B8F11490A974AAA9E3C63F632.jpg

Bungie collaborated with the National Space Centre to envision how the UK might look 25 years in the future with commercial Space Travel.

Ark

This is cool:
http://db3.stb.s-msn.com/i/DB/2EE8B8F11490A974AAA9E3C63F632.jpg/IMG]

[URL="http://innovation.uk.msn.com/planet/space-travel-and-our-cities-of-the-future"]Bungie collaborated with the National Space Centre to envision how the UK might look 25 years in the future with commercial Space Travel.[/URL][/QUOTE]

As if living in London wasn't expensive enough already!

That looks cool as shit though.

Just went through the trophies list and while there are a lot of PvP ones, which upsets me a little bit, most of them don't seem THAT hard to get. Also it's a good thing that I actually liked the Crucible a fair deal in the beta (I don't typically like PvP much)

I hope that with the sheer number of people in the PS4 clan, I'll be able to make a full fireteam for a Strike and a Raid ;)

doomquake

i was under the impression you get both of them for free...until i read it again and everywhere it says you "reserve" the expansions or something..what??

also what is the "digital collectors content" ?

bombshell

Just went through the trophies list and while there are a lot of PvP ones, which upsets me a little bit, most of them don't seem THAT hard to get. Also it's a good thing that I actually liked the Crucible a fair deal in the beta (I don't typically like PvP much)

I hope that with the sheer number of people in the PS4 clan, I'll be able to make a full fireteam for a Strike and a Raid ;)

Yeah, most of the PvP trophies are straightforward and easy. I can see this one being annoyingly luck based:

Triple Play
Kill a Hunter, Titan, and Warlock without dying in a PvP match

Then there's one that is a little time consuming:

Notorious
Earn the maximum weekly Crucible score

Not too bad, but it will require a minimum of 50 matches in one week if you win them all.

SirNinja

i was under the impression you get both of them for free...until i read it again and everywhere it says you "reserve" the expansions or something..what??

You read right the first time. Digital Guardian Edition gets you the first two expansions free.

also what is the "digital collectors content" ?

Lots of emblems and skins for stuff, plus early access to the Vanguard Armory.

Kane1345

Yeah, most of the PvP trophies are straightforward and easy. I can see this one being annoyingly luck based:

Triple Play
Kill a Hunter, Titan, and Warlock without dying in a PvP match

Then there's one that is a little time consuming:

Notorious
Earn the maximum weekly Crucible score

Not too bad, but it will require a minimum of 50 matches in one week if you win them all.

If only there were private matches

Lemnisc8

My biggest cause for concern is my race for each type.

I was going to go for human hunter, exo titan, and awoken worlock, but for some reason my care module is not found and im tempted to go exo, exo and exo.

Halp.

Alista

I switched to digital guardian after it ended up being cheaper than Game in the UK and same price as Amazon for the physical edition.

If you're savvy though, you get deals on PSN credit. I paid £80 to get £95 of PSN credit. So effectively destiny guardian edition cost me less than £80 here in the UK and I've still got £10 of credit left over.

Also means I can leave Diablo 3 in the drive and jump between those 2 games without having to change discs!

My biggest cause for concern is my race for each type.

I was going to go for human hunter, exo titan, and awoken worlock, but for some reason my care module is not found and im tempted to go exo, exo and exo.

Halp.

I'll be going all human for the 3 classes because I'm a humanist. Some may call me a spacist.

Klyka

Banned
I don't even "get" the Awoken and Exo. Who are they? Why are they with the humans? Are/were they humans?

Aso I will go human all the way. the more humans we got,the less we can go extinct :p

I don't even "get" the Awoken and Exo. Who are they? Why are they with the humans? Are/were they humans?

Aso I will go human all the way. the more humans we got,the less we can go extinct :p

Awoken:
It is said the Awoken were born in the Collapse, descended from those who tried to flee its wrath. Something happened to them out on the edge of the deep Black, and they were forever changed. Today many Awoken live in the Reef, aloof and mysterious, but others returned to Earth, where their descendants now fight for the City. Earthborn awoken sometimes venture out to the Reef, hoping to learn its secrets - but find no special welcome from the reclusive Queen.

Exo:
Exo began as self-aware war machines developed by humanity during the Golden Age for a long forgotten war, with the sole purpose of protecting their creators. They were rebooted during the collapse and now have no memory of their original function. Exos are "so advanced that nothing short of a Ghost can understand their inner functions. They remain ciphers, even to themselves; their origins and purpose lost to time. Whoever built the Exos fashioned them in humanity's image, gifting them with diversity of mind and body. Many of the City's Exo citizens live and work alongside their organic brethren, yet others fight again, reforged in the Light of the Traveler to serve as Guardians."

I don't trust 'em.

I think the answer is something that was lost during the fall and we as players will have to discover. For instance, the Exo seem like hold overs from the war against the darkness, but according to the Gilmore they were first created during the peak of the Golden age. Why? Guards? Servants? But human labor (Titans) were still used to build the wall and defend the Twilight Gap. And the Awoken. Space Elves, right? No, they were once humans. Why did the change? Who changed them? The Traveler, I guess, but to what end? This is why I think there is far more to the Destiny story than we are being led to believe...

I think the answer is something that was lost during the fall and we as players will have to discover. For instance, the Exo seem like hold overs from the war against the darkness, but according to the Gilmore they were first created during the peak of the Golden age. Why? Guards? Servants? But human labor (Titans) were still used to build the wall and defend the Twilight Gap. And the Awoken. Space Elves, right? No, they were once humans. Why did the change? Who changed them? The Traveler, I guess, but to what end? This is why I think there is far more to the Destiny story than we are being led to believe...

I bet it's another one of those stories where THE GOOD GUY WAS THE BAD GUY ALL ALONG! Traveler space magic swerve incoming.

Klyka

Banned
Awoken:
It is said the Awoken were born in the Collapse, descended from those who tried to flee its wrath. Something happened to them out on the edge of the deep Black, and they were forever changed. Today many Awoken live in the Reef, aloof and mysterious, but others returned to Earth, where their descendants now fight for the City. Earthborn awoken sometimes venture out to the Reef, hoping to learn its secrets - but find no special welcome from the reclusive Queen.

Exo:
Exo began as self-aware war machines developed by humanity during the Golden Age for a long forgotten war, with the sole purpose of protecting their creators. They were rebooted during the collapse and now have no memory of their original function. Exos are "so advanced that nothing short of a Ghost can understand their inner functions. They remain ciphers, even to themselves; their origins and purpose lost to time. Whoever built the Exos fashioned them in humanity's image, gifting them with diversity of mind and body. Many of the City's Exo citizens live and work alongside their organic brethren, yet others fight again, reforged in the Light of the Traveler to serve as Guardians."

I don't trust 'em.

They are sleeper agents for the Darkness.

I thought the Awoken were those Humans who were close to the fringes of the Darkness but escaped? They were changed by their contact but not subsumed and they've returned home to join the fight against it.

''The good guy was the bad guy all along'' trope is so lazy and trite, I'll be very disappointed if it turns out to be true.

At some point all narratives fall into a number of tropes. If it's turns out to be that but pulled off well I'll string along for the ride. (Though given this is a ten year franchise I doubt we'll get a true conclusion to anything).

Actually I think we are more of a danger to ourselves... ohhh.. in the game ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom