• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT| Home of Frabjous Guardians

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeRaSh

So I went to sleep when the withdrawal thread was closed and come back to the 20th page of the OT? The withdrawal of the withdrawal thread was real I guess! I'm proud of you guys. :D

4 more days until I can stare at a preloaded Destiny icon for 2 more days!

5fhTiWM.gif

[STARING INTENSIFIES]

Tomeru

Anyone know how the pvp will be unlocked? I imagine the crucible will be open from the start, but what about the next ones? I't gonna be hard playing pve and pvp at the same time, with no idea on how to progress pvp wise...

I want it all!

I posted this to explain to someone what Destiny is all about, maybe some of you who might need some info, this is what I can give ya .... [self quote]

I'm pretty sure the OP explains most of that. Plus formatting would help loads with readability. It's not a tl;dr thing, just a formatting thing.

Anyone know how the pvp will be unlocked? I imagine the crucible will be open from the start, but what about the next ones? I't gonna be hard playing pve and pvp at the same time, with no idea on how to progress pvp wise...

I want it all!

What next ones? The crucible is the only pvp. You unlock it when you reach level 5, and that's it. It's unlocked from then on out. There are no other PvP modes in Destiny. No open world pvp. No pvp servers. Just the open-world game (SP and MP co op), strike/raid co op instances, and the crucible.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I'm pretty sure the OP explains most of that. Plus formatting would help loads with readability. It's not a tl;dr thing, just a formatting thing

Hopefully I fixed it, hate leaving some good info as the last post, a lot of players just skim or hit last page

I posted this to explain to someone what Destiny is all about, maybe some of you who might need some info, this is what I can give ya

Yeah you can do a fuck ton in the game (Beta speaking, retail will be way bigger)

There's marks for 2 main factions, 1 PVE oriented, 1 PVP oriented
PvE:
Mark is given with Strikes (think dungeons), PTE Public Time Events (think Fates, but happen randomly in a zone, get Gold Rating everyday (think dailies) get +3 marks), trade in material in batches to the Quartermaster of said faction to earn extra marks (need 40 per batch, these are also used to upgrade weapons/gear, so choose wisely)
PvP:
Is your FPS standard modes with twists, Control = Domination + TDM, yes you try to control 2/3 flags, then have to kill opponents, more flags you have the better bonus points you achieve

The players gears are equalized, so if your wearing Rare (Blue) items and fighting Uncommon (Green) Opponents, you will not have an advantage, the damage/impact is the same for all weapon (think level capped), your gear/weapon leveled attributes do carry over. There's also events that Bungie will throw in from time to time for rare factions that only appear during it, the same game modes you play now will have the advantage gear enabled, so now people with Uber gear will stand out against lower geared players (It's called Iron Banner), mostly matchmaking will try to match players equally geared towards a rating, or people will get annihilated by better geared players
There's a 100 mark cap every week, so a win gets you +2 a loss +1, so you can't grind PvP

Then there are sub factions that give good loot if you earn reputation on their behalf, which in turn you level up their reputation rank and earn marks to buy their emblem gear. The farming parts comes from Strikes and Explore (just going back to story missions w/o being zone in, can go explore all areas, kill mobs for ammo/xp/engrams (think sacred scrolls that need to be deciphered). Cryptarch takes those engrams and deciphers them, thje more you decipher, the more he levels up, the more he levels up, the better rarity those engrams become
A Cryptarch with Rank 5 might decipher a Rare (Blue Engram) into just materials that are rare, but a Rank 10 might hand you a Blue Gun

Currency in this game is called Glimmer, you get them from chests (people do loops and farm them in a zone) or higher rank mobs that drop them, rewarded also, and gear/weapons you don't need/use can Dismantle and make small amounts of glimmer but also net you materials. Yes the game has synthing process for gear and weapon upgrades, you need certain materials to open the skill tree and upgrade talents within gears and weapons

You cap out at level 20, but you can keep over-leveling (think ilvl) with the Light stat
Certain gears (Legendary (Purple) and Exotic (Gold) have Light stats on them
You need those to do higher level dungeons where mobs get to level 31, so more +Light the better you will be against those. I theorized that for every +13 Light, you gain a level
The last thing is when you are geared the fuck out and almost maxed out, you go do Raiding. So far one in announced called Vault of Glass, this must have the best gear possible. Also you can only win loot once, you can repeat the raid (not fully guaranteed), but loot is once a week till reset. There's also a checkpoint system, so you can come back and pick up from where you previously left off

So yeah this game is crazy for trying to merge many genres and use the FPS model as the overlay

Rarity gear:
Common (White) < Uncommon (Green) < Rare (Blue) < Legendary (Purple) < Exotic (Gold)
You can only equip an exotic on each side of you char, for a total of 2
Left side pick either, primary, secondary, heavy
Right side pick Head, Chest, Legs, Feet

You can't exotic out your char, take a look here at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR42-WbyamA, you'll see the exotics and how some are ridiculous good looking

3 classes Titan, Warlock, Hunter, there's no defined roles that there has to be a tank or healer. All 3 are up to the job, each do differentiate themselves within their skills/talents. Once you hit 15, you can choose a subclass, each class has 2 subclasses at the moment. 1 offense, 1 defense, you can level those up and swap them in out for the situation at hand

I'm still missing stuff here, but this is the gist of Destiny. It's a timesink, but nothing like XIV requires

GraveRobberX

First off, congrats for the OT. Now the waiting game begins.

Yay, I made it to the wall of shame. :p

Had 2 surgeries, missed 2 weeks of OT and still came in 11th (was top 3 for awhile with Zoba and Snake, but my body gave me "Shut it All Down" treatment)...
Also have the honor of being the one to get the Withdrawal |OT| locked and warning given
*OH SNAP!*

Hopefully I fixed it, hate leaving some good info as the last post, a lot of players just skim or hit last page

I posted this to explain to someone what Destiny is all about, maybe some of you who might need some info, this is what I can give ya

Nah man you need to break it up and format it. If you want people to read it, you can't have ( info info MILLION info COMMAS info ). I'd format it for you to make it flow better, but as I said I believe the OP of this OT has pretty much any and all information anyone would need to understand what Destiny is and isn't.

It's nothing personal though, just tryin' to help out. You've got some good info there, but if you want folks to read it you'll need to clean it up considerably.

I'm so ready for this Game, had lots of fun with you Guys in the Alpha and Beta and will have much more fun in the final Game. See you Starside!!

There is emblem code hidden in "Planet View" site.

Code is 7F9-767-F74 and can be redeemed here.

Here is what it looks like.

Credit for this find goes to this Reddit thread.

Thanks for the Code Tovarisc

I want to buy the Digital Guardian Edition from the US PS Store because it's much cheaper there than in the EU Store, so can anyone tell me where I can find some discounted US PSN Card?

Tomeru

What next ones? The crucible is the only pvp. You unlock it when you reach level 5, and that's it. It's unlocked from then on out. There are no other PvP modes in Destiny. No open world pvp. No pvp servers. Just the open-world game (SP and MP co op), strike/raid co op instances, and the crucible.

You played the beta right? You just reminded me that all pvp "events" were available from a certain level. Thanks.

During the beta we had the crucible, and towards the end the Iron Banner was available for a couple of hours now and than. That's what I meant. There were three more closed off... Anyone remember the level requirements for each?

so whats the point going for the digital guardian edition?

Having it always ready to play because it's digital, plus having the season pass, and saving $10 over the retail Limited Edition (which includes the season pass).

$99 (US) Retail LE = game, season pass, bonus in-game items, physical game-related swag

$89 (US) Digital guardian edition = game, season pass, bonus in-game items

You played the beta right? You just reminded me that all pvp "events" were available from a certain level. Thanks.

During the beta we had the crucible, and towards the end the Iron Banner was available for a couple of hours now and than. That's what I meant. There were three more closed off... Anyone remember the level requirements for each?

Sorry I lump Iron Banner in with crucible, because it's basically the same except that your level and gear carry over/impact it.

What I mean is that PvP in Destiny, at least so far, is an isolated game space and there is no PvP outside of that. And everything we've been told is that level 5 unlocks any and all PvP, although I don't know why you'd want to go into Iron Banner at level 5 versus level 20s shortly after launch, lol.

Aquila

Really excited for Tuesday. Already got a 3-4 man group setup to play all day. Settled on warlock primary, titan secondary. Applied to DGAF. Just got to finalize my race choice and whether or not to just ignore my friends' foolhardiness on 360 and upgrade to PS4.

Is it too much to hope that Destiny 2 will allow cross-platform save transfers?

So a month ago my boss asked me when I wanted to take some time off. I said I didn't He said I had too because I have accrued too many PTO days.

I said 9/11 because 'MERICA!
I said Halloween because i wanted to give out candy in my van.

I have the 11th and 12th and Halloween off.

LOL!

derwalde

What are you talking about?

well i guessed there were special preorder items tied to the guardian edition. but if the guardians edition is "only" a standard edition+season pass, i see no point in getting it (from a buyers perspective, who knows if i like the add-ons).

darthbob

well i guessed there were special preorder items tied to the guardian edition. but if the guardians edition is "only" a standard edition+season pass, i see no point in getting it (from a buyers perspective, who knows if i like the add-ons).

Here's the contents of the Digital Guardian Edition.

Digital download of the game
Early access to Vanguard armory and player emblem pre-order bonuses
Reservation for upcoming Destiny expansions "The Dark Below" and "House of Wolves"
Collector's Edition Digital Content

The convenience of never having to deal with a disc is pretty awesome too, I'll admit.

GraveRobberX

so whats the point going for the digital guardian edition?

If you want the chachkies go for the limited edition (retail)
If not just go for the digital version (you get everything except those chachkies)

Have it downloaded and play anytime, no disc necessary, + disc will make you install the whole game anyway to the HDD, why not leave another game disc in there if you get tired of Destiny and need to change it (Blasphemy!)

Futaba

Since i joined the japanese clan i figured i'd kill some time updating my custom edit for my titan, since i switched my titans name to benisuzume it felt right to do the same for the edit.

t2QWrJ3.jpg

I can only dream of a day Bungie let you custom skin your armor, haha

darthbob

Since i joined the japanese clan i figured i'd kill some time updating my custom edit for my titan, since i switched my titans name to benisuzume it felt right to do the same for the edit.

t2QWrJ3.jpg

I can only dream of a day Bungie let you custom skin your armor, haha

Sweet 'shop. The holographic bicep looks pretty sweet.

If you want the chachkies go for the limited edition (retail)
If not just go for the digital version (you get everything except those chachkies)

Have it downloaded and play anytime, no disc necessary, + disc will make you install the whole game anyway to the HDD, why not leave another game disc in there if you get tired of Destiny and need to change it (Blasphemy!)

I can think of a reason to go retail, at least for XB1 users - download times.

I don't know why but PS4 downloads large game files 10x faster than XB1. There's no reason for it, and the only thing I can think of is that MS is throttling download speeds, because a friend of mine with gigabit broadband can download a full PS4 retail release in 20 minutes while an XB1 retail download takes hours.

So for XB1 users, disconnecting from Live and forcing the system to install from the disc, THEN connecting to live to download *just* the update is quite often significantly faster than downloading the game.

Of course, preload negates all that. So just ignore me lol...

Personally I'm just a physical guy. I want the disc, the packaging, the swag. I was tempted to get the $150 version with the $50 paper weight but talked myself out of it, but I still went LE because it's a no-brainer for the season pass alone.

derwalde

did i get it right: the difference between the standard digital and digital guardian edition (except the season pass) is:

- a ghost skin
- a player emblem
- a ship skin

sorry i have a hard time getting to the point^^

GraveRobberX

did i get it right: the difference between the standard digital and digital guardian edition (except the season pass) is:

- a ghost skin
- a player emblem
- a ship skin

sorry i have a hard time getting to the point^^

Well the Season Pass is the meatiest part of the price
Yeah + all the pre-order goodies, and if ps4 extra goodies and time exclusive stuff

If you buy standard, then the pass you lose $5
If you get Digital Guardian you save $5, you pay upfront for the 2 expansions

Are you gonna play Destiny for a long while, then go digital guardian
If you playing in spurts and want to wait and see on the expansions, then standard

derwalde

Well the Season Pass is the meatiest part of the price
Yeah + all the pre-order goodies, and if ps4 extra goodies and time exclusive stuff

If you buy standard, then the pass you lose $5
If you get Digital Guardian you save $5, you pay upfront for the 2 expansions

well in the EU/GER-Store the guardian edition is 99€ ;-(.

Ken

Alright got my 360 preorder changed to a PS3 preorder, and also figured out my b.net account nonsense lol. I probably won't put my name up for raids yet, not until I see if I actually like the game and am raid ready. Hopefully that'll happen though!

GraveRobberX

well in the EU/GER-Store the guardian edition is 99&#8364; ;-(.

Oh didn't realize you were GER... DAMN!

You getting hit with that tax, fuck dude, I thought this was NA talk >_<

I say find a retail that has a nice price for it and just get the standard and survive on that
=/

Alright got my 360 preorder changed to a PS3 preorder, and also figured out my b.net account nonsense lol. I probably won't put my name up for raids yet, not until I see if I actually like the game and am raid ready. Hopefully that'll happen though!

Vault Glass Raids and Second Coil and eventually Third Coil Raids... Damn Ken you'll be burned out in no time

derwalde

Oh didn't realize you were GER... DAMN!

You getting hit with that tax, fuck dude, I thought this was NA talk >_<

well i could buy it from the US-Store, but i dont know if that results in getting matched with players from the US only etc. (are there different servers?)

Oscar

Curious to see how big the Auto Rifle nerf is.

It was far too easy to rack up Crucible kills with it. Sure you still had to aim, but there was less margin for error when you can just spray a general area whereas the scout rifle required legit accuracy in the shots.

GraveRobberX

well i could buy it from the US-Store, but i dont know if that results in getting matched with players from the US only etc. (are there different servers?)

You'll be locked out till 9/9 3AM EST which would be like 9AM 9/9 (Guesstimating) German time

If you have your EU version servers would be live retail or digital version for roughly 1/4th day
Is the head start worth it?

Who wants a Gamestop Promo Box?

MIVfBoil.jpg

I am in SoCal and can deliver from San Pedro to NoHo. (anywhere in-between, Fuck off IE)

Free if you buy me lunch or tell me a entertaining story.

E3 Wristband if it's a good lunch!

ozFdxmMl.jpg

Vicious Dogs in NoHo FTW!

Or Dax's Fav, a 4 pack of assorted muffins at Sprout's?

What up Pasadena GAF!?

LAA

The vangaurd pack is Game exclusive in UK and no other retailer has it in the standard version, only the Limited Editions.

Ah do you know this for sure? I got the LE from Amazon so I hope I get vanguard with it.

(Also I know you can get the vanguard pack with gameseek.co.uk also. Maybe gamestop.co.uk too, as it has an image of the vanguard pack on the box, but doesn't mention it in description, so not sure.)

KeRaSh

You should be fine. I downloaded the Beta from the US store and played with my brother who got the Beta from the EU store. They probably take your IP address into account and base it off of that.
Getting the US DGE was the only sensible thing for me to do.
I basically get the special ingame swag and DLC for free because I pay just as much as I would if I bought the standard retail edition in Germany.

You'll be locked out till 9/9 3AM EST which would be like 9AM 9/9 (Guesstimating) German time

If you have your EU version servers would be live retail or digital version for roughly 1/4th day
Is the head start worth it?

I have to work on 9/9 anyways and with pre loading I will be ready to go when I come home around 4 pm. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom