• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT| Home of Frabjous Guardians

Status
Not open for further replies.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Not to derail the thread or anything, but if I enjoy both Borderlands games, I will most likely enjoy Destiny. In terms of story, atmosphere, graphics and game play, which game handles those facets better (from what you've played?

Borderlands is too condensed with content,it's just heavy with everything it offers
Meaning half the shit you get is just vendored away or not even picked up (weapons/skins/mods)
The missions are set on a Diabloesque chain quest, side missions are more of the same just in those zones (plenty of fetching stuff, protect an area, kill certain types in an area)
The thing that works for Borderlands is it's lightheartedness and the meme factor of being Pop culture influenced (either they borrow jokes and infuse them into quests or they try to create something for the public to show off)
It's almost too much clutter for it's own good, if they would remove even 25% of it, game would be more enjoyable, there too much there to digest

Destiny on other hand streamlines the process
There are nice amount of weapons, but it isn't on the bazillion level scale
There is rarity involved, but guns go up tier wise, and the thing that sets them apart are the talents you can upgrade and the feature the guns offer, the same gun gotten twice might have different features
The game on the story side is broken into different sections of a meal
Main Story is the Meat, Strikes your Mashed Potatoes, Patrol your bread (too much carbs yo'!), and Raid your Desert
You have the options to choose where you start and how to finish up the meal
Game tries to stay within the Universe, does not to break the 4th wall by winking at the player through certain actions

So Destiny = Streamlined, Borderlands = Cluttered

Marvel

could never
Destiny_Dog.png

I think this one is funny.
Lol.

From the look of things everyone is choosing awoken and exo. Is anyone going to play as human? I played awoken in the beta but thinking about switching to human since there will be so few of them.

I would probably go human, but those male exo dance moves are too good.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I hope this game isn't short. That's my only fear. I don't want November to come and we're all bored as hell.

i'm expecting about 20-30 hrs for the campaign stuff, and a bit more to grind out all the gear you want. then, 100's of hours of pvp. for a 60 game, thats fine for me. plus, expansions and shit.

Jafo_

Stupid question but can you travel anywhere right away or are planets opened up as you progress?

You'll need to do the first story levels, to I think Level 4, when you get your ship... but we didn't have any other planets to go to in the beta, until they unlocked the Moon. So we don't know for sure.

Deku Tree

Borderlands is too condensed with content,it's just heavy with everything it offers
Meaning half the shit you get is just vendored away or not even picked up (weapons/skins/mods)
The missions are set on a Diabloesque chain quest, side missions are more of the same just in those zones (plenty of fetching stuff, protect an area, kill certain types in an area)
The thing that works for Borderlands is it's lightheartedness and the meme factor of being Pop culture influenced (either they borrow jokes and infuse them into quests or they try to create something for the public to show off)
It's almost too much clutter for it's own good, if they would remove even 25% of it, game would be more enjoyable, there too much there to digest

Destiny on other hand streamlines the process
There are nice amount of weapons, but it isn't on the bazillion level scale
There is rarity involved, but guns go up tier wise, and the thing that sets them apart are the talents you can upgrade and the feature the guns offer, the same gun gotten twice might have different features
The game on the story side is broken into different sections of a meal
Main Story is the Meat, Strikes your Mashed Potatoes, Patrol your bread (too much carbs yo'!), and Raid your Desert
You have the options to choose where you start and how to finish up the meal
Game tries to stay within the Universe, does not to break the 4th wall by winking at the player through certain actions

So Destiny = Streamlined, Borderlands = Cluttered

Thanks!

a916

Not sure if it's been mentioned but Destiny review from IGN goes up sometime, a week, after launch.

There's bad news and good news about the Destiny review. The bad news is that while we'd normally want to make sure you know what we think of the biggest new game launch of the year before it goes on sale, that's not possible in this case. ....

Barring unforeseen circumstances, we'll aim to have our full, final review published early the following week.

Stoze

i'm expecting about 20-30 hrs for the campaign stuff, and a bit more to grind out all the gear you want. then, 100's of hours of pvp. for a 60 game, thats fine for me. plus, expansions and shit.

If you're talking about just story missions, then I would really lower your expectations. I would be very surprised if the campaign is longer than 10 hours.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Dude, there's no way you've got me out dusted. I'm a dust king. I practically bathe in the stuff in this cramped little room.

I dunno, it's pretty bad in here. The sunlight cascading in and the hardwood floors just highlight everything. At least I have something to do with my time tomorrow I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom