• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT| Home of Frabjous Guardians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Namikaze1

Fuck it. I'm calling out today so I can rest for tonight. Still got to head to class though. Oh, and return AC4 to GameStop. I want my money back to buy a second controller.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Oh, didn't even think about that

19 hours, hell if people speed run through main story by doing a 12+ hour marathon, you know ending will be up and posted every-fucking-where on social media

I seriously think Bungie should have invited the media for a 3 day binge at a certain location
Let them go through it, embargo them till 9/9

Servers for everyone should have gone live at the same time
Oh wells, I will tread this thread now cautiously

tmespe

Wow, the gamespot stream is really annoying, Jeff is being his usual self and complaining a lot, but at least it's much better than the GS one.

MJLord

Iunno I think it probably costs all of 12 cents to print a physical copy of a game. I have no problem paying full price. In other mediums (comics, music, etc) once you start pricing digital cheaper, people start wanting it for free and then the people who sweated over making it get zilch.

Probably true, I think another cut comes from the retailers themselves though. Retailers get around $15 (probably less) source

If Sony or MS want to make their storefronts more appealing I think they have plenty of leeway to increase their cut and pass $5 onto the customer. They also need to make some way of trading licenses back to their stores for loyalty points for discounts on DLC or future purchases.

I'm actually jealous of people who can play now. I have a massive hangover so I couldn't play even if I want to though. See you Guardians tomorrow. StrongBlackVine9 on PSN.

TheContact

So does anyone know if this game has an end boss or something? Like can you "beat" it and have the credits roll or is it more of a MMO type thing where there's an end boss but you can just keep killing him and over and over?

Deepo

I wish they just had a set unlock time regardless of timezones. But that would probably make the servers fall over. Oh well, just 18 hours :\

Hasney

So with PS4, it looks like it has the 20GB initial download, then 5.5GB in game and currently, a 268mb patch, right? Should be fine for me if that's the case.

So how does the MMO component come into play? On the Giant Bomb stream, Jeff is shooting a bunch of aliens but there's no other players involved. Are they just not there yet or do you only meet other players in specific areas?

Sorry about the ignorance, I haven't really been following the game so much.

Still has 15 gb of download to do. Hurry up!

Soundtrack is amazing at least.

19 hours, hell if people speed run through main story by doing a 12+ hour marathon, you know ending will be up and posted every-fucking-where on social media

I seriously think Bungie should have invited the media for a 3 day binge at a certain location
Let them go through it, embargo them till 9/9

Servers for everyone should have gone live at the same time
Oh wells, I will tread this thread now cautiously

That seems super unfair for the game and it's designers. It was designed to play as a huge populated world, not some closed in shopping mall consisting only of reviewers.

Namikaze1

Please, for the love that is Destiny, hide all spoilers properly.
I can handle being spoiled on weapons, armors, and skill but I hate hate to have the story spoiled for me.

Killzig

So does anyone know if this game has an end boss or something? Like can you "beat" it and have the credits roll or is it more of a MMO type thing where there's an end boss but you can just keep killing him and over and over?

Both? Seems like it would be the same as Diablo / Borderlands in that regard. There's a definite story arc / end boss that starts some sort of credits sequence and you can go back / ride the rodeo again.

So how does the MMO component come into play? On the Giant Bomb stream, Jeff is shooting a bunch of aliens but there's no other players involved. Are they just not there yet or do you only meet other players in specific areas?

Well, the bolded is true for the most part, but I'm pretty sure that you can't see other players on the tutorial mission (which he's on right now.)

tmespe

He's doing the tutorial mission. Other players pop up in the world after that.

Hasney

In the Alpha, other players could show up where you are, but you had to enable it in the options IIRC. Otherwise only friends show up.

KOHIPEET

Update on ps4 version 296 mb, destiny servers are LIVE people :)

giphy.gif

Tawpgun

I love how the RDS attachment is still a thing in the future

I haven't played the beta so I don't know much more about the mechanics of the game but this was my biggest disappointment with Destiny.

The Halo style of shooting is just much more fun as it allows you to take advantage of the guardians mobility more since you don't have to slow down to aim

kiguel182

What? Didn't you have hard copy?

If so please tell me it's installing and not downloading whole game even if you have disc.

I havean hard copy but the game is "transfering game content" so I'm assuming is dowloading extra files. 15.89 GB.

It's part of the installation.

Probably true, I think another cut comes from the retailers themselves though. Retailers get around $15 (probably less) source

If Sony or MS want to make their storefronts more appealing I think they have plenty of leeway to increase their cut and pass $5 onto the customer. They also need to make some way of trading licenses back to their stores for loyalty points for discounts on DLC or future purchases.

Yeah, retailers are (obviously) a huge wall against that sort of thing, but on the plus side, something like games with gold gives you pretty great discounts, so it evens out a little sometimes for a very small number of games. ;}

Victrix

*beard*
I haven't played the beta so I don't know much more about the mechanics of the game but this was my biggest disappointment with Destiny.

The Halo style of shooting is just much more fun as it allows you to take advantage of the guardians mobility more since you don't have to slow down to aim

You don't actually. Slow down that is.

Hipfiring while in the air isn't particularly accurate though, that is true.

raven777

question about buy PS3-get PS4 free thing.

Can I buy the PS3 digital guardian edition from Amazon and still get this promotion, or do I have to buy it off directly from the PSN store only?

Way to go nighttime DestinyGAF. You put in some pages and some quality gifs!

For all of those who play today, please post some
non-spoilery
gifs. Particularly, ones with strange physics or quality kills from Warlocks.

Deku Tree

question about buy PS3-get PS4 free thing.

Can I buy the PS3 digital guardian edition from Amazon and still get this promotion, or do I have to buy it off directly from the PSN store only?

It should work no matter where you buy it. None of the info said anything about where you need to buy it. Buying from Amazon doesn't let you preload.

So basically the EU digital wave gets in earlier than US digital right?
This staggered launch will hopefully mean PSN holds up for everyone playing. Only 11 more hours to go!

Well, the bolded is true for the most part, but I'm pretty sure that you can't see other players on the tutorial mission (which he's on right now.)

Alright, thanks!

In these other areas where you can play with thousands of other people (if possible), how do they make it so that certain areas are not overcrowded? Or are there tons of different servers to play on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom