• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT| Home of Frabjous Guardians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seventy70

Cømet;128996384 said:
I spent 20 hours in Old Russia during the beta. Why would four hours of the same area be representative of the whole game?

I watched this Jeff guy's stream for a few minutes. He bitched about not being able to use the speeder in the hub, and how he wished the hub was a set of menus instead, and then I closed the window.

The first mission of the moon that they showed didn't seem to change. When looking at the level structure for each planet it's the same type of missions. I guess I'll give it the benefit of doubt though and wait for the reviews.

Cruxist

Have we had any word on more installs if we did digital? I know I've got the current 21 gigs or so downloaded, but just curious if there's anymore I should expect tomorrow.

kiguel182

I watched a bit of the stream. I believe one of his complaints was returning to the same area to do different missions.

While that's true the encounter design makes it fresh enough. Never felt repetition because of the area I was in.

He wasn't sold on a lot of the mission design. Patrol mode ones feel super generic, story ones kept amounting to having the ghost do ____, have you defend it. Also didn't seem like he cared for the existence of the hub when he was playing with Brad.

Patrol mode is super generic but, for example, I was doing a Patrol mission an hour or so ago and it was on the other side of the map so I, a level 3, had to pass 3 or 4 level 8 zones to get there. It was such a cool little adventure and moment that the fact that the goal itself was just getting to the are was meaningless. Problem was I barely got a reward for doing that, felt a little underwhelming but the trip to there was awesome.

That complain about story mission I agree with. Not a fan of the wave after wave of enemies while the Ghost does something design. But the encounter design, enemie AI and feel of the game is so good that it kind of makes it tolerable.

Vire

Kinda disappointing how the moon story missions literally has you backtracking through the same areas over and over.

WarMacheen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cExMKVbQdQ&channel=AngryJoeShow

AngryJoe Impressions the first 5mins, then gameplay of level 14 strike.

Does anyone know if X360 digital version will be available tonight/tomorrow?

I have no idea how someone so into games like Joe could have thought this game would have been a true MMO. I have avoided almost all information and videos about the game until this past weekend, and I never thought it was going to be an MMO. It seems more like PSO. He says to lower your hype because there aren't any large scale PVP or guild v guild battles....I'm not sure how he even came to the conclusion that there would be in the first place other than simply assuming and taking others peoples words for it instead of researching himself. Just kinda seems like he's lazily uninformed for someone who relies on video hits.

Futaba

After seeing that epic artwork, i couldn't help but apply it to an old game box.

Iuf8Q55.jpg

Brb, died, gotta rewind the tape.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
Damn, My order got delayed a day, but at least I got $40 in exchange.

Amazon Customer Support said:
Me:Guaranteed Delivery Date INCORRECT
Aditya:Hello, my name is Aditya. I'll certainly try to help regarding your concern.
Me:My order was guaranteed delivery for 9 / 9 and now says expected delivery date 9 / 11
I placed my order July 7th and the expected delivery was only recently changed today
Aditya:I'm so sorry Peter, that delivery date for your pre order was changed, I've checked and saw that the date updated from Thursday, September 11, 2014 to Wednesday, September 10, 2014 now, I can understand that it is still not the date that we guaranteed it.
To help compensate for this delay, I'll issue a $10 promo to your account.
Me:That's it?
So you guarantee delivery by a certain date or you get a $10 coupon?
Aditya:peter, I can issue an additional 10% refund on your order, and will forward this to our shipping team so that it doesn't happen in future again.
Me:I'd appreciate that, but the issue is I planned on playing tomorrow, and I'm unable to do so now. I can't cancel my order from you guys because there aren't any copies available of what I ordered anywhere else. Is there a way to get the digital version of the game while I wait for my mail copy?
Aditya:Let me check, please.
Me:My order was for a $100 item, the digital version is $60. The way I've usually understood GUARANTEE is if the conditions of the guarantee aren't met, the goods in question are provided free of charge. Maybe this isn't the case, but at least I'm only asking for a digital copy of the game while I wait for the late physical copy, the digital copy is $40 less and available. The limited edition physical copy is not easily found.
I'd like to keep my order of the Limited Edition copy, I just would like a free of charge digital version while I wait
Aditya:peter, I can issue a maximum $30 refund on your this order, that is the most I can do.
Me:does that include the $10 promo?
Aditya:Yes, it includes that.
Me:can you give me a discount on the digital edition?
Aditya:peter, as I'm not trained in handling digital orders, I can arrange an instant call back for you from our game and software download team, would that be okay?
Me:Unfortunately I'm at work all day so it's impossible for me to answer the phone till 8pm EST tonight
Is that too late?
Aditya:The game and software team phone support is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Me:please credit the $30 dollars and I'll contact them tonight
Aditya:Okay, it could be either a refund of $30 on this order and $10 promo or a discount on digital order.
Me:so $40 ?
or try my luck at getting a discount?
with the software team later today?
Aditya:Yes, I'll leave a note on your account to issue discount on new digital order, and if they deny it, you can just email us and we will issue refund and promo to your account for it.
Me:Well $40 is only $20 away from the digital edition and I doubt they'll give me anything higher than a 66% discount, so I'll take the $40 and order the digital edition. There is no way to just refund 50% of my actual order?
Aditya:I'm sorry, that is me making an exception going beyond the standard policies, to help compensate for this issue.
Me:What is the standard policy? $10 promo?
can you at least max the standard policy to get me as close as you can to $60
?
Aditya:I'm sorry $30+$10 is the maximum I can offer, however I will be sure to forward your feedback about our standard policies.
Me:Okay okay, thank you for helping as best you can and sorry for being so persistent
I'll take the $40 and add that you should at least specify what Guarantee means in your user policy
Especially for items of limited quantity
Aditya:No problem, I can understand, If I relate it to myself I can completely understand how frustrating and annoying the situation can be when something like this happens. Please accept my sincere apologies for this.
Sure, I'll pass on your feedback about our guaranteed delivery.
Me:do i wait for confirmation of the promo and refund?
Aditya:No, I'll email you that, don't worry.
Me:eek:kay , thanks again for your time
have a good day
Aditya:You're welcome, Would there be anything else I could assist you with?
Me:Nope

viveks86

So do we have confirmation whether it's just the 20 GB or if there is more to be downloaded? Still wondering why the retail version needs 40 GB

I'd imagine a huge amount if it rests on how much you get invested in the world. Like, all these little Patrol missions are for factions. If the factions are uninteresting, or just uninteresting to you, then they will seem like pointless busywork.

Atkison04

Watched Datto video of venus gameplay. I want it so bad. I feel like I'm stuck in the exhaustion of being so hyped for something and knowing I can't have it until tomorrow night. This will be the longest 24 hours since the beta ended.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
While that's true the encounter design makes it fresh enough. Never felt repetition because of the area I was in.

Patrol mode is super generic but, for example, I was doing a Patrol mission an hour or so ago and it was on the other side of the map so I, a level 3, had to pass 3 or 4 level 8 zones to get there. It was such a cool little adventure and moment that the fact that the goal itself was just getting to the are was meaningless. Problem was I barely got a reward for doing that, felt a little underwhelming but the trip to there was awesome.

That complain about story mission I agree with. Not a fan of the wave after wave of enemies while the Ghost does something design. But the encounter design, enemie AI and feel of the game is so good that it kind of makes it tolerable.

The thing with the Patrol missions is how random they can be. You might get something that becomes emergent and cool like that, but Jeff kept getting a lot of "kill dudes in the area" which just looked grindy with little payoff.

But yeah, the core gameplay loop is solid and is a big part in why I'm getting the game, but I will be really disappointed if they didn't have more interesting scenarios for mission design.

After seeing that epic artwork, i couldn't help but apply it to an old game box.

Iuf8Q55.jpg

Damn, that looks nice!

I'd imagine a huge amount if it rests on how much you get invested in the world. Like, all these little Patrol missions are for factions. If the factions are uninteresting, or just uninteresting to you, then they will seem like pointless busywork.
Patrol missions being kinda thin doesn't bother me too much because I like exploring the areas and usually ignore them.

Vire

Isn't recommended space requirements 20 GB for last-gen and 40 GB for current-gen?

Old Russia is like that too.

It really isn't though. Old Russia has you go to a lot of different areas. The moon has you continuously going to
Hellmouth

GhaleonEB

It's getting dangerous to be in here now....

Glancing at posts just in case!

This is actually my customary, "tuning the hell out" time. I tend to go head down and not read much of anything until I'm through a Bungie campaign. I'll probably so the same here.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Can anyone restart my hype for this game? I sort of lost it after the beta. It just seemed too piece-meal right from the get-go. I dig the MMO-social aspect married with an FPS, but I fear it may be "just another shooter" in sheep's clothing. I mean, it's an Activision published game with not one, but two expansion packs already announced before release, and the campaign doesn't seem to be heavy on exploration. The hubs from the Beta got pretty repetitive fast.

All I'm asking is if this is a deep game that will last me a while, or is this more of Activision bait and switch, hook em and milk em kind of game?

there is going to be a crapton of spoilers in this thread isn't there D-:

So far we are being told that pointing out that backtracking exists and mentioning repetitive mission design are spoilers. If you consider that a spoiler then yes, there's gonna be a crapton of spoilers in this thread. I haven't come across a single true spoiler in this thread yet.

kiguel182

The thing with the Patrol missions is how random they can be. You might get something that becomes emergent and cool like that, but Jeff kept getting a lot of "kill dudes in the area" which just looked grindy with little payoff.

But yeah, the core gameplay loop is solid and is a big part in why I'm getting the game, but I will be really disappointed if they didn't have more interesting scenarios for mission design.

Damn, that looks nice!

Yes, most missions are like that but those moments really help the game stand out for me.

Also, this thread is starting to get full of spoilers, shame.

Sylas

Can anyone restart my hype for this game? I sort of lost it after the beta. It just seemed too piece-meal right from the get-go. I dig the MMO-social aspect married with an FPS, but I fear it may be "just another shooter" in sheep's clothing. I mean, it's an Activision published game with not one, but two expansion packs already announced before release, and the campaign doesn't seem to be heavy on exploration. The hubs from the Beta got pretty repetitive fast.

All I'm asking is if this is a deep game that will last me a while, or is this more of Activision bait and switch, hook em and milk em kind of game?

I would implore you to take the "wait and see" approach. The game is just now hitting people's hands so we can't really go into the factuality of the depth of the game. Bungie talks a good talk and has a decent track record, but if you aren't sold on that alone I think it can't do you any harm to wait and see what people say when they hit "endgame" by the middle-end of the week.

Respect

Iuf8Q55.jpg

Be%2BKind%2BRewind%2B-%2BSoundtrack%2B-%2BFront%2BCover.jpg

there is going to be a crapton of spoilers in this thread isn't there D-:

Most likely...I'm starting to get leery, but I'll hang around for now.

I'm so annoyed that people who shouldn't be playing are. I don't want to be left far behind before it's even out.

Don't be too upset, be happy for them :). They can't progress too much as raid content isn't even unlocked until the 16th, so we all have a week to level and gear up our mains in the mean time. Doesn't sound like it will take too long to level either.

Euron

Kinda disappointing how the moon story missions literally has you backtracking through the same areas over and over.
I've pretty much come to expect this in Bungie games. The entire second half of Halo 1 is backtracking through the first half of the game. And Halo 3 also has you backtrack through entire levels on multiple occasions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom