• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT| Home of Frabjous Guardians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everybody was saying during the beta

Just like the guns, where are the exotic weapons? It's cool we get a few skills per gun and per class, but honestly why are there no alien weapons like a needler type gun or whatever?

I'm actually seriously bummed out I bought this game because I'm not even sure anymore if it's the game it was hyped up to be. It's honestly too light on content. Yes I haven't played the full game but we can make a good assumption.

It was all evident from the hyping that Bungie did, but couldn't come close to reaching "See that map over there? I can walk over there RIGHT NOW if I wanted". Shit like that.

Exotics at level 7???

kiguel182

Angry Joe who was hyped as fuck for this game said "Scale back your hype"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cExMKVbQdQ

Destiny seems like a grindfest and has a lot repetitive shoot-outs.

shoot outs haven't been repetitive so far, enemies move is some interesting ways and the AI keeps things fresh.

I have played some of these missions 3 or more times (because of the Alpha and the Beta) and I still had fun.

Old Russia is also huge, I've already found new areas that weren't on the beta with higher level enemies.

Game isn't perfect of course but it's far, far away from being a bad or boring game.

Sylas

Right? It's like a small hodge podge of game genres blended in a fresh take on the standard FPS but it's not a revolution like some journos are calling it.

It lacks the scope in my opinion. It's gotta be truly open ended if it wants to warrant that. Like, each hub would have to be its own living open world. With instances to discover and explore, not having to access bigger events from menus.

Opening a Strike mission from the main menu instead of randomly finding it while trekking through an unexplored area doesn't enhance the feeling of being a frontiersman-like Guardian... y'know? It feels kinda last-gen TBH.

What I've played, it's neat, but not that mind boggling. Can't believe the aesthetics has gotten people so enamored.

I think we're a good while from the console tech allowing for this. Actual-factual living, open worlds is not in the current scope, I think. Though I agree that "finding" strikes would be a lot cooler than selecting it from a menu.

I just can't wait to slap my grip on my Vita and remote play myself some PvE, it felt so good during the beta, no lag or anything and looks gorgeous on the OLED.

Klyka

Banned
I think Warframe is grindy as fuck, but the gameplay is pretty rad so I can see why people like it
Also it's better if you spend money

I've only spent money on loadout slots. All in all I have about 1/5 of the price of destiny invested in Warframe (not counting me actually buying a PS4)

Respect

Back from class what did I miss?

Destiny is terrible, pre-order cancelled. But I remembered enjoying the beta, so I decided to cancel my cancelled pre-order. But then someone else said Destiny isn't meeting their expectations of a game that was in no way represented in beta. So I cancelled the cancellation of my previously cancelled pre-order.

Z3M0G

Hmm. Well, after watching an hour of post- beta content I'm definitely feeling a little disappointed. As far as I can tell the game is patterned very strictly. Literally:

Mission with pretty visuals > filtered into tight no respawn zone > deploy Dinkledge > go into orbit > Tower optional > repeat.

The shooting looks fun but that's all you do. The color palettes are pretty distinct but you often find yourself in environments that don't play dissimilarity. The noticeable upticks in the groups mood were when they finally introduced a small new mechanic or vehicle. I always said this game should have a wider suite of vehicles and the streams have agreed.

Oh well. I hope the final product is cool but I definitely had a lot of my fears set in stone. :/

You forgot some steps:

Mission with pretty visuals > LOOT LOOT LOOT! > filtered into tight no respawn zone > LOOT LOOT LOOT! > deploy Dinkledge > Huh? Nevermind... LOOT LOOT LOOT! > go into orbit > Tower optional (IDENTIFY RARE LOOT!) > repeat

Seriously though, I agree the formula would suck if it wasn't for the loot aspect. This fits best as a comparison to a Phantasy Star Online / Universe type of game. It's all about the loot hunt. If that aspect of the game fails, so will the game itself. And so far, they seem to have gotten it mostly right. Once you hit 20 level cap, it's all about the loot to continue growth of your character. Much like how Diablo III does it so beautifully (once it finally did it right).

MMaRsu

Right? It's like a small hodge podge of game genres blended in a fresh take on the standard FPS but it's not a revolution like some journos are calling it.

It lacks the scope in my opinion. It's gotta be truly open ended if it wants to warrant that. Like, each hub would have to be its own living open world. With instances to discover and explore, not having to access bigger events from menus.

Opening a Strike mission from the main menu instead of randomly finding it while trekking through an unexplored area doesn't enhance the feeling of being a frontiersman-like Guardian... y'know? It feels kinda last-gen TBH.

What I've played, it's neat, but not that mind boggling. Can't believe the aesthetics has gotten people so enamored.

Yup. Why are there no quest givers in the patrol mode? Or NPC's who sell you shit? I guess all planets are barren as fuck and the only place you can actually visit is the tower, because story reasons.

I will never trust people who rely on clicks to feed them because it's always the same thing:

before game comes out = OMG IT'S THE BEST HERE WATCHA LL MY VIDEOS OF IT CLICK THEM ALL!

game comes out = OMG THIS IS NOT AS GOOD AS THEY SAID IT WOULD BE HRE WATCH MY VIDEOS WHERE I SHOW HOW IT'S NOT SO GOOD CLICK THEM!

Ok have you even watched it? He actually said good stuff about the game, it's just not the MMO people think it is. Also he will properly review it next week.

I also don't understand why people are surprised this game is super repetitive. The entire alpha/beta messions were literally all the same thing. Go to an area, have Peter Dinklage open a door, fight waves, repeat. There's no other types of quests at all.

Skele7on

Banned
Yeah this thread is getting too potential spoiler for me...

27717-Zelda-Abandon-thread-gif-LwhD.gif

Until tonight GAF it's been a pleasure!

Yup. Why are there no quest givers in the patrol mode? Or NPC's who sell you shit? I guess all planets are barren as fuck and the only place you can actually visit is the tower, because story reasons.
Nature is scary as shit, man
Thought the Open World areas could be improved
Those one-off missions suck

NAPK1NS

None of this seems to be commenting on how it connects to the overall worldbuilding/development. That's what I'm most eager to see pulled off, honestly. I'm weirdly less concerned with variety if FWC is as cool as their logo seems to intimate.
Anticipate what you will. I predict this is strictly a game for shooting and looting. World building? So far we've seen all of that ostracized to little playing cards on a web browser/app. Whatever. I'm more concerned about the quality of gameplay and mission design.

I understand all you did in Halo was A>B>deploy cortana. But the scope of the encounters flexed nicely. You would fly a banchee to a corridor fight and exit into a chaotic wide open area.

Destiny seems like a cone. It begins wide but slowly constricts the environment until you win. Again, I could totally be wrong. That's what I felt in the beta and all I saw on the streams.

kiguel182

You can explore each area with no goal and find ton of those moments. Not everything is accessed with a menu.

Also, having a Strike without a menu selection would mean you had to travel to there every time you wanted to do it and that would just be boring.

But yeah, on the Patrol mode you end up finding interesting things just by wondering around. There's tons of that in the game.

Marvel

could never
Waiting for this to be delivered to my house tomorrow morning is going to physically hurt, especially since my bro's will be playing it digitally tonight.

Klyka

Banned
You can explore each area with no goal and find ton of those moments. Not everything is accessed with a menu.

Also, having a Strike without a menu selection would mean you had to travel to there every time you wanted to do it and that would just be boring.

But yeah, on the Patrol mode you end up finding interesting things just by wondering around. There's tons of that in the game.

But I was told the patrol mode is shit and boring and shit and preorder canceled.

How can I believe you, Moe?

Any news on story stuff from the early birds? Not looking for spoilers, just want to know if there's more to those missions from the beta than was in the beta. Like, additional cutscenes or dialogue.

Just to counterbalance the gloom a bit: Giant Bomb Brad ended his stream by saying he really really wanted to keep playing but had to sign off to go to work. He's looking forward to playing more.

It's about that time where everyone is getting skeptical.

Right on track everyone.

Brace yourself. 'Destiny was overhyped' threads are coming.

It's the same with any game that has ever received even the slightest amount of hype in history. Some people somewhere will always say how bad it is. And with a game as huge as Destiny? We'll get tons of them regardless of the game itself.

kiguel182

You have to be trolling now.

There are beacons that give you missions and NPCs are on the tower because there's no need to have them on the world.

The map is everything but barren, there are tons of enemies and areas to discover.

dustyherb

They revealed Destiny and didn't even explain clearly what the gameplay would be like. Instead, they lead people to speculate and raised their expectations to high.
Yep and that's why they have us an alpha and a beta. Everyone by now should understand what this game is.

I also don't understand why people are surprised this game is super repetitive. The entire alpha/beta messions were literally all the same thing. Go to an area, have Peter Dinklage open a door, fight waves, repeat. There's no other types of quests at all.

yes there are.

there were quests where you had to collect items or scan a certain location. granted I don't know what people expected. Even in popular MMO's like Guild Wars every fucking mission is go here and Press X. chop down log, collect 10 logs Go here and kill X

this is a videogame.

The last of us is the same way. Go here and get gas, put gas in tank and press triangle.

its not often that a game changes how we play.

The GameSpot stream has been a lot more fun to watch. As obvious as it sounds it seems like this game is going to live or die with your friends. Unless I'm playing some PvP I don't think I'd really bother running around the main game by myself.

/Wave

The doom and gloom virus is starting to make me want to abandon more than the spoilers at this point though.

This is how I feel right now too. I would appreciate it if those who do have negative things to say and don't have the game yet, kept them to themselves. We all played the alpha and beta already, so we should know what to expect.

MMaRsu

Exotics at level 7???

Well you know I'm talking about weapon classes Benjamin :).

You know, actual diversity amongst the guns. Halo 3 had a good mix of alien weaponry and spartan weapons.

I was hoping for some weapons you don't see in real life.

Like not just

Shotgun
SMG
Auto Rifle
Burst rifle
Pistol ( hand cannon )
Sniper
Rocket Launcher

but some diversity like a needler, energy gun ( lasers woohoo ), plasma cannon etc etc.

You know what I mean.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Almost 3 hours into the game. I hope the mission structure consists more than holding sqaure. Because thats all its been so far.

Gunplay is tight and its pretty fun. Just like the beta was. Dont think this is going to blow people away though.

Things could pick up as the game progresses..

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
I had fun with the Beta. I put 25 hours into it. I like shooting things and getting loot. I don't expect the full game to be radically different.

You made me want to recheck...

Amazon says my PS4 Destiny Bundle is Preparing for Shipment.
My Destiny PS4 bundle shows no status change, simply "pre-ordered." My only reassurance is that Amazon has placed the charge request on my credit card. I really hope I get the thing tomorrow. I don't remember, did the Destiny PS4 offer release day delivery?

Well you know I'm talking about weapon classes Benjamin :).

You know, actual diversity amongst the guns. Halo 3 had a good mix of alien weaponry and spartan weapons.

I was hoping for some weapons you don't see in real life.

Like not just

Shotgun
SMG
Auto Rifle
Burst rifle
Pistol ( hand cannon )
Sniper
Rocket Launcher

but some diversity like a needler, energy gun ( lasers woohoo ), plasma cannon etc etc.

You know what I mean.
Bungie couldn't withstand the nostalgia
And I think if they added more weps it would be WAAYYYY too much like Borderlands 2

Almost 3 hours into the game. I hope the mission structure consists more than holding sqaure. Because thats all its been so far.

Gunplay is tight and its pretty fun. Just like the beta was. Dont think this is going to blow people away though.

Things could pick up as the game progresses..

Hype waning...

hey i have a question about level discrepancy between friends you are playing with:

for instance, if one friend and i are level 12, and another friend is level 4, what are the ramifications of that, in terms of enemy strength, difficulty, and loot drops? is the level 4 person just going to need to be revived a lot?

would there be any difference between just playing in the game world, versus doing one of the 3-man co-op missions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom