• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT| Home of Frabjous Guardians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trace

Banned
The mixture of trolling and possible spoilers has turned this thread a bit crappy so imma back out. Godspeed to the regulars and have fun if you're playing! :) (although you're playing so you can't read this anyway :p)

I'm considering it. The concern trolling is even getting into this thread.

MMaRsu

yes there are.

there were quests where you had to collect items or scan a certain location. granted I don't know what people expected. Even in popular MMO's like Guild Wars every fucking mission is go here and Press X. chop down log, collect 10 logs Go here and kill X

this is a videogame.

The last of us is the same way. Go here and get gas, put gas in tank and press triangle.

its not often that a game changes how we play.

This is not an MMO.
Almost 3 hours into the game. I hope the mission structure consists more than holding sqaure. Because thats all its been so far.

Gunplay is tight and its pretty fun. Just like the beta was. Dont think this is going to blow people away though.

Things could pick up as the game progresses..

Shooting and pressing square. Sounds like a great innovative and highly fresh game!

:((((((

Dude is like "where is the needler"

As if that was even a good gun in the halo series, I rather melee than pick that up

79d2ea4ef16870a13eab6dd23ddddcbc31c482057724b8798b78655c881fc12c.jpg

ElRenoRaven

Angry Joe who was hyped as fuck for this game said "Scale back your hype"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cExMKVbQdQ

Destiny seems like a grindfest and has a lot repetitive shoot-outs.

Seems like exactly what it is. He seemed to think it was going to be more MMO like then it was and that it wasn't going to be a loot fest. It's never pretended that it wasn't that. So yea if you hyped yourself up thinking it was going to be some massive open world MMO shooter then yea I agree dial the hype back. For me I knew what it was going to be and can't wait till tonight.

This game has raid lockouts, rep tokens which are weekly capped so it takes at least 4 weeks to get a gear set from the vender, gear progression linked difficulty modes.... it screams GRIND in your face... if you missed that in the beta you should get your eyes checked. I for one can't wait to get grinding.

kiguel182

But I was told the patrol mode is shit and boring and shit and preorder canceled.

How can I believe you, Moe?

Given the amount of time I've spent on Old Russia already (since I had the Alpha and the Beta) and I still find new things/have fun I think it's safe to say it's everything but boring.

You can trust Moe.

200_s.gif

hydruxo

I never understood why people cared about Jeff from GB's opinion so much. He seems like a cool guy but he's always complaining about something.

Trickster

Everybody was saying during the beta

Just like the guns, where are the exotic weapons? It's cool we get a few skills per gun and per class, but honestly why are there no alien weapons like a needler type gun or whatever?

I'm actually seriously bummed out I bought this game because I'm not even sure anymore if it's the game it was hyped up to be. It's honestly too light on content. Yes I haven't played the full game but we can make a good assumption.

It was all evident from the hyping that Bungie did, but couldn't come close to reaching "See that map over there? I can walk over there RIGHT NOW if I wanted". Shit like that.

I definitely look forward to seeing what the consensus on the game is once the initial week of excitement is over. I would not be surprised if Destiny ends up like Diablo 3 did. Massive hype, massive sales, and then it becomes clear that while some aspects of the game are really great, there's still a lot of problems and perplexing design decisions.

ironcreed

Banned
Is it odd that I am looking forward to getting hooked on Old Russia again? I actually loved the area and am looking forward to seeing the rest of it.

Seventy70

The Alpha/Beta were 99% full-game in terms of gameplay(NOT CONTENT)(Barring a few buffs/nerfs)

I'm talking about before the beta. The speculation got the hype train already moving at high momentum. I think they were afraid that if they had straight out said what the game was going to be that people would just realize that it's like borderlands and decrease the hype. Instead, you had people during the beta saying, "Wait for the full game. There has to be much more."

Vidpixel

Almost 3 hours into the game. I hope the mission structure consists more than holding sqaure. Because thats all its been so far.

Gunplay is tight and its pretty fun. Just like the beta was. Dont think this is going to blow people away though.

Things could pick up as the game progresses..

This was my biggest fear after playing the beta. It's rather unfortunate that the mission variety is still lacking after 3 hours of playtime.

Duxxy3

I had fun with the Beta. I put 25 hours into it. I like shooting things and getting loot. I don't expect the full game to be radically different.

And that is realistic. If people are expecting a game drastically different from the beta, they are going to be disappointed.

hey i have a question about level discrepancy between friends you are playing with:

for instance, if one friend and i are level 12, and another friend is level 4, what are the ramifications of that, in terms of enemy strength, difficulty, and loot drops? is the level 4 person just going to need to be revived a lot?

would there be any difference between just playing in the game world, versus doing one of the 3-man co-op missions?

The fire team is the one who picks the missions and selects the difficulty. Missions in the beta were at Normal (recommended Level X) and Hard (recommended Level X + 2-3). If the leader picks a mission that's for a Level 12, the Level 4 guy is too far behind to even do damage to an enemy, since their Level 4 weapon had a very low attack rating.

Euron

Repetition does not bother me that much if a game is fun. And from my experiences in the alpha and beta, I can say Destiny is very fun.

Although I agree with many of Joe's reviews, he specifically mentioned that he is really "Haloed Out" at the moment in his E3 impressions video, so something similar to Halo is not likely to be something he will really enjoy.

Regardless, there is so much to do in this game, I feel like my $60 purchase is certainly justified:

Story
Strike
Free Roam
Community Events
Multiplayer (6 game modes)
Raid

Xater

Seems like exactly what it is. He seemed to think it was going to be more MMO like then it was and that it wasn't going to be a loot fest. It's never pretended that it wasn't that. So yea if you hyped yourself up thinking it was going to be some massive open world MMO shooter then yea I agree dial the hype back. For me I knew what it was going to be and can't wait till tonight.

Yeah it really seems like people either didn't know at all what the game was or had way too high or plain wrong expectations.

I thought I had a really good idea about the game after the alpha and beta, so I am not sure how that happens.

raindoc

really torn between bladedancer and sunsinger. was pretty damn certain that i was going to play as hunter, but that warlock subspec sounds like it could be fun too... hmmmmm, decisions, decisions.

Dunlop

really torn between bladedancer and sunsinger. was pretty damn certain that i was going to play as hunter, but that warlock subspec sounds like it could be fun too... hmmmmm, decisions, decisions.

It's in my DNA to play support roles so the sunsinger is a no brainer for me as it is the closest thing

ParityBit

The fire team is the one who picks the missions and selects the difficulty. Missions in the beta were at Normal (recommended Level X) and Hard (recommended Level X + 2-3). If the leader picks a mission that's for a Level 12, the Level 4 guy is too far behind to even do damage to an enemy, since their Level 4 weapon had a very low attack rating.

Hrm. What if all my "3" guys are too high level for when my friends get it? I can not make a new one and play with them unless I delete one first? That kinda sucks.

dustyherb

I would go sunsinger. There won't be as many compared to bladedancers. Plus you'll be in demand for that raid.

Klyka

Banned
I would honestly advise everyone in here to get on their platform of choice and download and play Warframe for a bit.
That game basically shows you exactly how Destiny will play for you (with different mechanics, obviously).

Choose mission-> do mission in an area that is fmailiar to you -> collect rewards -> repeat to achieve your goal of what to unlock/loot/etc...

I leave for work at 5:30am so in thinking I will fall asleep early, set an alarm for 2:00am and get up to play before work lol.

I only need 4 hours of sleep a night anyway.

Zomba13

I wasn't interested in anything other than Space Magician until I saw Bladedancer. Think I'll have a Bladedancer as a secondary character to go though once I've done a bunch of Space Magician.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Repetition does not bother me that much if a game is fun. And from my experiences in the alpha and beta, I can say Destiny is very fun.

Yep. I put a lot of hours into missions in the Alpha and Beta, and that was doing the same over and over.

I love loot games like this, Borderlands, Diablo etc. and don't mind doing a lot of the same stuff to grind levels, skills, and hope for better loot drops. Of course, not everyone likes that type of gameplay, but it's among my favorites.

I wasn't interested in anything other than Space Magician until I saw Bladedancer. Think I'll have a Bladedancer as a secondary character to go though once I've done a bunch of Space Magician.

That's my plan. Warlock for playing with my main gaming buddy who prefer's Hunter, and a Hunter to play when he's not on.

Hrm. What if all my "3" guys are too high level for when my friends get it? I can not make a new one and play with them unless I delete one first? That kinda sucks.

You can still join them in their missions, you'd just kill things faster then them, but not like 1-shot anything, outside of headshots. As a level 8 in the beta, it still took me a few body shots to kill a level 3 fallen with a low impact level 8 rifle.

Xater

I would honestly advise everyone in here to get on their platform of choice and download and play Warframe for a bit.
That game basically shows you exactly how Destiny will play for you (with different mechanics, obviously).

Choose mission-> do mission in an area that is fmailiar to you -> collect rewards -> repeat to achieve your goal of what to unlock/loot/etc...

Yeah there are definitely similarities to Warframe. Coincidentally I also really enjoyed playing Warframe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom