• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT| Home of Frabjous Guardians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramirez

Angry Joe says he thought it was gonna be more mmo and then complains you grind a lot. Grinding is all an mmo is. Grinding loot, rep, etc.

lol

Karl Hawk

Banned
You know what, I'm gonna stay in the OT for a month and not read any Destiny-related threads after the game's released.

Shit gonna get crazy on GamingGAF

MMaRsu

You have to be trolling now.

There are beacons that give you missions and NPCs are on the tower because there's no need to have them on the world.

The map is everything but barren, there are tons of enemies and areas to discover.

I am most certainly not trolling sir.

Beacons with little collectathon missions is fun and all, but I'm talking about actual story missions.

Let's say. You do a mission in Old Russia. The next mission is also in Old Russia. You have to go through THREE loading screens if you have to go back to the tower, and then back into the game. That is just annoying as hell.

Let me just keep playing, or give me the option NOT to return to orbit right after a mission if you did it in a explorable zone.

And then, when talking about NPC's. Why are there no wandering NPC's, or NPC's who stick together in a small settlement they made in Old Russia? Where I can get some extra loot decrypted or buy some rare gear from one of the shopkeepers there. They have a different inventory then what the Tower holds.

There's no reason to fill the world up with NPC's etc? Yes there is, because if all there is is enemies shit looks pretty stupid to me. World building? What's that?

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
You can explore each area with no goal and find ton of those moments. Not everything is accessed with a menu.

Also, having a Strike without a menu selection would mean you had to travel to there every time you wanted to do it and that would just be boring.

But yeah, on the Patrol mode you end up finding interesting things just by wondering around. There's tons of that in the game.

What? Like the metal leaves and stuff? I didn't see a whole lot to do in the cosmodrome... Just those beacon radio messages of go here kill stuff, and WHAM Public Event incoming.

I don't think it's too much to ask to get a proper open world FPS, that is admittedly VERY ambitious, with multiple planets, all equally as sprawling and expansive and littered with different things to do. Abilities to learn as you, etc... I'm fine with a few menu's here and there and loading times between planets.

But if we got games like GTAV and Just Cause 2 last gen, what stopped Bungie from going all out with this?

BTW, I'm pissy because of I too fell for the game's aesthetics. I gotta hand it to Bungie for creating an engrossing universe. It's just so artificial and constrained that I still feel like a toddler in a playground wondering why I can't go past these boundaries.

Yup

he doesn't know wtf he's talking about

I think he's referring to the fact that the game is so small that you end up doing the same things over and over again. There's no sense of space. The reason people like me have less of an issue grinding (hell, sometimes I LIKE grinding if it feels good) is because the time you spend traveling from place to place actually helps create a feeling of adventure. It's illusion, for sure. But it gives the monotone a little more room for imagination. It gives it a little more meaning. Grinding in a small space gets old fast.

I'm talking about before the beta. The speculation got the hype train already moving at high momentum. I think they were afraid that if they had straight out said what the game was going to be that people would just realize that it's like borderlands and decrease the hype. Instead, you had people during the beta saying, "Wait for the full game. There has to be much more."

Uh.. that's not what happened at all. Before the Alpha, the majority of people were talking about how much the marketing sucked because it was all too similar and no one understood what the game was. The hype didn't truly pick up until after the Alpha and it went through the roof after the Beta.

Hrm. What if all my "3" guys are too high level for when my friends get it? I can not make a new one and play with them unless I delete one first? That kinda sucks.

Play with them anyways. Destiny has a maximum amount of damage that players can do to lower level mobs, so while you'll be more effective than your low level friends when accompanying them through low level content, you won't be one-shotting everything.

Well today started off in fantastic form.

Got an email from Amazon saying my order was declined. Turns out, I never updated the credit card info. The card I used had to be destroyed after a fraud alert sometime after I placed my order, and when I got my replacement, I never updated Amazon.

I had release date delivery for my original order, now estimated delivery is Thursday.

Atleast I was still able to get the LE.

Respect

Angry Joe says he thought it was gonna be more mmo and then complains you grind a lot. Grinding is all an mmo is. Grinding loot, rep, etc.

lol

Based on what others have said of his expectations earlier in the thread...I'm not really sure what he is expecting, assuming he participated in beta.

So how many different armor sets are likely to be in the game? I'm a sucker for personalization and aesthetically different characters.

I'm guessing it's not even remotely close to Borderlands weapons, but here's to hoping there's some variety.

I'm just concerned all around about there being a lack of content in the game. Not many planets, so is it likely that there won't be a lot of weapons / armor sets?

DNAbro

I am most certainly not trolling sir.

Beacons with little collectathon missions is fun and all, but I'm talking about actual story missions.

Let's say. You do a mission in Old Russia. The next mission is also in Old Russia. You have to go through THREE loading screens if you have to go back to the tower, and then back into the game. That is just annoying as hell.

Let me just keep playing, or give me the option NOT to return to orbit right after a mission if you did it in a explorable zone.

And then, when talking about NPC's. Why are there no wandering NPC's, or NPC's who stick together in a small settlement they made in Old Russia? Where I can get some extra loot decrypted or buy some rare gear from one of the shopkeepers there. They have a different inventory then what the Tower holds.

There's no reason to fill the world up with NPC's etc? Yes there is, because if all there is is enemies shit looks pretty stupid to me. World building? What's that?

why would their be NPCs on Old Russia? The only people still alive other than Guardians live the City, and Guardians are supposed to protect the City(i'm pretty sure we will me other people though at the Reef).

Well you know I'm talking about weapon classes Benjamin :).

You know, actual diversity amongst the guns. Halo 3 had a good mix of alien weaponry and spartan weapons.

I was hoping for some weapons you don't see in real life.

Like not just

Shotgun
SMG
Auto Rifle
Burst rifle
Pistol ( hand cannon )
Sniper
Rocket Launcher

but some diversity like a needler, energy gun ( lasers woohoo ), plasma cannon etc etc.

You know what I mean.

I totally know what you mean. I don't know, man.

Nothing I've seen or heard has compromised my interest in the world here. At this point, in the twilight of my gaming life, I'm like 80% aesthetics, 20% how does this play anyway. Cada uno a su gusto. From jump street, I've just wanted to see more of this world they built. I really am not too invested in what gets me from Point A to Point B, so I might be the wrong dude to ask.

lol

He also mentioned that he thought there would be 16 v 16 or 32 v 32.. then in the next couple sentences admits that Bungie's PR has been stating that it's a max of 6v6 and a "more intimate" grouping.

So.. was he just ignoring the PR and expecting that they lied?

MMaRsu

ok that's a great response.

lets do this.

Halo 4

every fucking mission has you doing what?

get here and press A

Because it is a first person shooter, and was designed as such. Promoted as such, marketed as such. There is nothing special about Halo 4 ( imo).

Destiny could have been so much more if they were not so held back by their own design constraints and wanting to have it on 360 and ps3 and have content parity between the versions.

The fact there is graphical parity between PS4 and Xbox One also says something.

ElRenoRaven

Yeah it really seems like people either didn't know at all what the game was or had way too high or plain wrong expectations.

I thought I had a really good idea about the game after the alpha and beta, so I am not sure how that happens.

Honestly I think that it's people may for whatever reason not much like the game but like anyone they want to be hyped. As a result they go oh oh yea it must be totally different then this. Surely they'll have this this and that. So this allows them to buy into hype and then when they get it and find out it's the same as it was then they feel let down and betrayed. Yet it's their fault. I don't fault anyone though. We've all been there. The game isn't going to be for everyone. It simply isn't. That's ok too.

Lgndryhr

Do we know if the servers will hold at all tomorrow? I know they did testing during the alpha and beta, but that is never truly representative of a launch day.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
So both Sony and MS decided on 3 am est? I'm calling ducktales, friends.

They probably have to appease retail stores since unlocking everything at the earliest timezone would piss them off.

But man is is annoying. I see so many reasons to not go digital, especially living in EST where I can't do anything until 3am.

Timmay

Banned
Yup

he doesn't know wtf he's talking about

He does know what he's talking about. Everything he complained about in this video is exactly what was awful in the beta and alpha (grinding boring "samey" quests given out by blinking lights, strike missions that are almost all built around a bullet sponge boss or Peter Dinklage telling you to defend him while he does something etc etc).

MMaRsu

I totally know what you mean. I don't know, man.

Nothing I've seen or heard has compromised my interest in the world here. At this point, in the twilight of my gaming life, I'm like 80% aesthetics, 20% how does this play anyway. Cada uno a su gusto. From jump street, I've just wanted to see more of this world they built. I really am not too invested in what gets me from Point A to Point B, so I might be the wrong dude to ask.

Heh yeah I understand what you're saying. And with this game that's certainly true. The world seems cool as hell, but from impressions and my time with the alpha and beta it's under utilized.

Oh well I'll just wait till tomorrow night, I'll get to play it finally. Stupid work tomorrow :(

Seventy70

What? Like the metal leaves and stuff? I didn't see a whole lot to do in the cosmodrome... Just those beacon radio messages of go here kill stuff, and WHAM Public Event incoming.

I don't think it's too much to ask to get a proper open world FPS, that is admittedly VERY ambitious, with multiple planets, all equally as sprawling and expansive and littered with different things to do. Abilities to learn as you, etc... I'm fine with a few menu's here and there and loading times between planets.

But if we got games like GTAV and Just Cause 2 last gen, what stopped Bungie from going all out with this?

BTW, I'm pissy because of I too fell for the game's aesthetics. I gotta hand it to Bungie for creating an engrossing universe. It's just so artificial and constrained that I still feel like a toddler in a playground wondering why I can't go past these boundaries.

I agree. The first time I got to the travelling menu, I was kind of surprised. Before, I thought you could just land on a planet and explore.

Because it is a first person shooter, and was designed as such. Promoted as such, marketed as such. There is nothing special about Halo 4 ( imo).

Destiny could have been so much more if they were not so held back by their own design constraints and wanting to have it on 360 and ps3 and have content parity between the versions.

The fact there is graphical parity between PS4 and Xbox One also says something.

And Bungie specifically called Destiny a "Shared World Shooter" many, many, many times and never once said they were an MMO.

I find it weird that you would assume that they were held back by the previous gen when they've never even hinted as such. I mean, you may not like the way the game turned out but there's nothing saying that they wanted to design things differently but couldn't.

BokehKing

Banned
They probably have to appease retail stores since unlocking everything at the earliest timezone would piss them off.

But man is is annoying. I see so many reasons to not go digital, especially living in EST where I can't do anything until 3am.
Only digital is postponed until 3 am?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom