• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT| Home of Frabjous Guardians

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustyherb

They probably have to appease retail stores since unlocking everything at the earliest timezone would piss them off.

But man is is annoying. I see so many reasons to not go digital, especially living in EST where I can't do anything until 3am.
Ya if I was living on the east coast then no way would I go digital. Luckily being from Denver I only have to wait till 1. Still I can't believe they aren't unlocking once your timezone hits midnight.

Has there been any analysis of the two versions of the game? Would be nice to know before I buy the PS4 version tonight. If the Xbox version is identical I would be awfully tempted.

Considering all of the time I put into the Alpha and Beta in only one location (I know...The Moon was open for a couple hours too) I can say this is a game that I personally don't need reviews for. I know I'm going to enjoy it and I know what I'm buying.

Thyralax

Banned
The beta had your standard MMO quests though. The raid will be the "innovation" in FPS gameplay people are expecting, IMO. I have faith in my boy, Luke!

It had what 5 quests? I think he was expecting WoW with quest givers everywhere, I guess we could count those beacons as quests but they really didn't provide a big enough reward to be worth the time to complete them.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Because it is a first person shooter, and was designed as such. Promoted as such, marketed as such. There is nothing special about Halo 4 ( imo).

Destiny could have been so much more if they were not so held back by their own design constraints and wanting to have it on 360 and ps3 and have content parity between the versions.

The fact there is graphical parity between PS4 and Xbox One also says something.

My feelings exactly. You sound just as burned as me.

I had the Guardian Edition preordered no less. Completely fell off the wagon.

What a fucking shame. I wanted a big, big game to get into that didn't quickly devolve into the standard competitive MP shit.

Lee

Drowning in work at work right now. I saw that changing your Xbox region didn't work.

Did beards make it in? Plz someone tell me.

Marvel

could never
Considering all of the time I put into the Alpha and Beta in only one location (I know...The Moon was open for a couple hours too) I can say this is a game that I personally don't need reviews for. I know I'm going to enjoy it and I know what I'm buying.

80 hours from me across the Alpha and Beta, I too know what I am getting.

Fun.

Polarburr

Odd question to ask here, but it's related I guess.

I'm buying an Asian PS4 next week. Can I buy the R1 copy of Destiny and use R1 dlc's (my psn is us) on my R3 PS4? From what I've heard, some dlc's are region locked. I was just wondering if this is.

This is one game I don't give a shit about reviews and impressions. I've played 40 hours of it already. I know exactly what I'm getting into and why I'm excited for it.

dWfOE9c_dg.gif

Reviews from the press and GAFers alike will be nice for those on the fence but I'm with ya, mang. I've played enough of the Alpha and Beta to know what I enjoy about it and know what I'm getting into. If Gerstmann and AJ are meh about this that's well and fine. I can't wait to crawl all over this game with my Hunter. Even thinking about going Defender Titan as my second.

WizzNARD

Does anyone know how EXP works in groups? Is it shared like Diablo, or if I'm a higher level than my buddies should I juts let them kill the majority of stuff so they can level?

Didn't notice in the BETA, never really seen it mentioned before either. Can't wait till Midnight (well 3 for me)!

BokehKing

Banned
Reviews mean nothing, especially when I already played it.

Only people who are dying for reviews at the moment (that are in this thread) are trolls looking for ammo to pass off as fact.

Has there been any analysis of the two versions of the game? Would be nice to know before I buy the PS4 version tonight. If the Xbox version is identical I would be awfully tempted.

The PS4 version has one extra pebble on the ground in Old Russia...I'm kidding...they are supposed to be exactly the same. They will be 1080p/30 FPS.

RiverKwai

Yup. Why are there no quest givers in the patrol mode? Or NPC's who sell you shit? I guess all planets are barren as fuck and the only place you can actually visit is the tower, because story reasons.

Yes. Exactly.

Why would there be people (other than guardians) wandering around in the wild? All humans outside the walls of the city have been eradicated. That's like, the entire premise of the game world. Everyone is dead.

TheContact

I ordered from amazon and the package is only a few hundred miles away from me. Anyone ever ordered release day items on amazon and have it come early?

Edit: Only 83 miles now! Hypee

Navy Bean

Sounds like the game is exactly like the beta - playing repetitive missions and grinding for loot. So, if you enjoyed the beta, you'll enjoy the game. I enjoyed the beta so I'm sure I'll enjoy the game.

I think the semi-negative impressions are because Destiny is not a game changer in any real way. It's a highly polished FPS with a cool world and loot, loot, loot. And that's fine for me but I understand why others expected more.

Killzig

Let's say. You do a mission in Old Russia. The next mission is also in Old Russia. You have to go through THREE loading screens if you have to go back to the tower, and then back into the game. That is just annoying as hell.

Let me just keep playing, or give me the option NOT to return to orbit right after a mission if you did it in a explorable zone.
100% with you on this. This was my biggest complaint from the beta. At least give me a way to skip from one loading screen / holding area to the area where I want to play. Going from hub > orbit > mission is tedious.
And then, when talking about NPC's. Why are there no wandering NPC's, or NPC's who stick together in a small settlement they made in Old Russia? Where I can get some extra loot decrypted or buy some rare gear from one of the shopkeepers there. They have a different inventory then what the Tower holds.

There's no reason to fill the world up with NPC's etc? Yes there is, because if all there is is enemies shit looks pretty stupid to me. World building? What's that?
Yeah, this problem, while I agree with you. Is all too common in video games. Outside of the bigger open world franchises you don't really see a lot of thought given to this kind of world-building. I'd love to see it though.

Pop

Sounds like the game is exactly like the beta - playing repetitive missions and grinding for loot. So, if you enjoyed the beta, you'll enjoy the game. I enjoyed the beta so I'm sure I'll enjoy the game.

I think the semi-negative impressions are because Destiny is not a game changer in any real way. It's a highly polished FPS with a cool world and loot, loot, loot. And that's fine for me but I understand why others expected more.

This is standard fair for any new game. Most still love it and then there's others who expect more on Day 1.

E92 M3

Does anyone know how EXP works in groups? Is it shared like Diablo, or if I'm a higher level than my buddies should I juts let them kill the majority of stuff so they can level?

Didn't notice in the BETA, never really seen it mentioned before either. Can't wait till Midnight (well 3 for me)!

I want to know some more info on group dynamics as well.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I'm back, clean bill of health!

Wound is closing up nicely, got another appointment in 2 weeks

They removed the tube that was placed
First this 50+ year old doctor try to pull it out, yanking away, made me scream so loud, he stopped, tried to tug again, I told him do it again, you'll get punched
Goes to get his colleague, to help out, a fucking 70+ year old doctor... Really!?!
He tries tugging (felt like they were about to pull my anus out), doesn't work
Call my original doctor 35-40 years in age, homeboy goes, yeah it's in there, BRB getting forceps, comes back, puts in the wound, tells me to take a deep breath, BAM tube comes out...

So my Doctor pulls it out, 0 pain, quick and easy
2 old doctors trying to play tug of war with the tubing near my rear area ; ;
(The old doctors were saying I need to stay overnight/emergency room or operating table...)
My Doctor saved me all that bullshit!

God I love my Doctor <3

Now to nurse this wound and enjoy Destiny with you sumbitches!
Might knock myself out in a hour or two, and wake up around 11:30pm and play the waiting game

Who's with me for some Glimmer-Farming =D

MMaRsu

My feelings exactly. You sound just as burned as me.

I had the Guardian Edition preordered no less. Completely fell off the wagon.

What a fucking shame. I wanted a big, big game to get into that didn't quickly devolve into the standard competitive MP shit.

Yeah, I'm honestly not even sure why I bought it. I know I will have a shitton of fun with the PVP side of things,because that's always what brought me to Halo and in the alpha/beta the PVP was damn fun.

But the singleplayer side of it sounds dare I say it meh. I'd love to explore new stuff all the time, but it sounds like the singleplayer stuff is really light on content.

So i would say 10 hours until level 30? Because someone hit 24 in 4 hours.

Jesus what the fuck Bungie. Should have made leveling slower.

Drowning in work at work right now. I saw that changing your Xbox region didn't work.

Did beards make it in? Plz someone tell me.

C'mon now -_- Given the time from the Beta until it went Gold, you know the answer is 'no'. Will it be in down the line? Maybe? I have no idea. I personally would take a DLC dance/emote pack over facial hair since most of the time in-game you're not going to see my face, but more customization options are always welcome.

In my hurry to get the game, I accidentally bought the PS3 version of Destiny.

Talked to Sony support and they said they have to wait 3-5 days for me to get a refund. Guess my only choice is wait for the digital upgrade whenever that comes up :(

This is a good question and I hope someone steps up to answer it

. For some reason, even at a high level, low enemies seem to take the same amount of damage to kill as they did at earlier levels. Which I don't understand. It's like your character will never feel powerful.

ironcreed

Banned

That is pretty much it. I was worried about the content for a minute, then realized that I spent over 20 hours just in the small slice of Old Russia that we got. I mean, I did not want to put it down. It's just that fun to play.

Timmay

Banned
I ordered from amazon and the package is only a few hundred miles away from me. Anyone ever ordered release day items on amazon and have it come early?

Not a single time. Unless your tracking info says Out For Delivery, it isn't coming that day. Amazon just released my White PS4 Bundle to UPS an hour ago. Seems like they could have saved money by shipping it on Friday.

MMaRsu

C'mon now -_- Given the time from the Beta until it went Gold, you know the answer is 'no'. Will it be in down the line? Maybe? I have no idea. I personally would take a DLC dance/emote pack over facial hair since most of the time in-game you're not going to see my face, but more customization options are always welcome.

DLC emote pack? What the fuck am I reading here.

What about a free update?

Respect

First this 50+ year old doctor try to pull it out, yanking away, made me scream so loud, he stopped, tried to tug again, I told him do it again, you'll get punched
Goes to get his colleague, to help out, a fucking 70+ year old doctor... Really!?!
Call my original doctor 35-40 years in age, homeboy goes, yeah it's in there, BRB getting forceps, comes back, puts in the wound, tells me to take a deep breath, BAM tube comes out...

(The old doctors were saying I need to stay overnight/emergency room or operating table...)

God I love my Doctor <3

Might knock myself out in a hour or two, and wake up around 11:30pm and play the waiting game

Good to hear man, glad the procedure worked out for you.

Ramirez

It had what 5 quests? I think he was expecting WoW with quest givers everywhere, I guess we could count those beacons as quests but they really didn't provide a big enough reward to be worth the time to complete them.

I'm just saying it had the typical quests an MMO would have. Go here, kill this, collect that, scan here, etc.

The beacons absolutely serves as quest givers. I think the public events are a nice wrinkle in the formula as well.

Like I said, as with any mmo, it will live and die on it's raids and PVP. Strikes are no different than your 5 man instance in WoW, they're mindless fun, and the raids are where the legit encounters should come out.

Heroman

Banned
In my hurry to get the game, I accidentally bought the PS3 version of Destiny.

Talked to Sony support and they said they have to wait 3-5 days for me to get a refund. Guess my only choice is wait for the digital upgrade whenever that comes up :(

I feel your pain, Did the same thing a couple of month ago with child of light.

raindoc

It's in my DNA to play support roles so the sunsinger is a no brainer for me as it is the closest thing

I would go sunsinger. There won't be as many compared to bladedancers. Plus you'll be in demand for that raid.

I wasn't interested in anything other than Space Magician until I saw Bladedancer. Think I'll have a Bladedancer as a secondary character to go though once I've done a bunch of Space Magician.

i don't really care about space magic. star wars is about han solo.
BUT: as a sunsinger, melee sets your enemies ablaze, you get an optional 2nd (fire) grenade and you can boost the time fire deals damage to enemies... and if that radiation-damage-burst is well-measured and/or it throws enemies away from you it's an awesome tool in close quarters, especially in combination with the damage boost it also grants to your weapons.
support role my ***, this one has the potential to be an awesome war machine. but i kinda would like to see it in action first...

Yeah, I'm honestly not even sure why I bought it. I know I will have a shitton of fun with the PVP side of things,because that's always what brought me to Halo and in the alpha/beta the PVP was damn fun.

But the singleplayer side of it sounds dare I say it meh. I'd love to explore new stuff all the time, but it sounds like the singleplayer stuff is really light on content.
I am the opposite, I had fun in PVP but i spent countless hours in PVE. To each his own I guess.

Sanic

No idea who's delivering it, but it'll get to the closest distribution center to you and then sit overnight until tomorrow's delivery if it's USPS, UPS, FedEx, etc.

GravyButt

God I love my Doctor <3

Maybe i missed it, but uh wtf happened?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom