• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT| Home of Frabjous Guardians

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiverKwai

A lot of it was Bungie's fault. They raised everyone's expectations too high. There was that video where the guy points out into the skybox and says that it's all explorable. They flat out lied. I'm still not sure why they aren't getting called out on it.

"All of this is playable space that we hope to get to send you to one day. It is all real geometry, we can go there now if we wanted to."

That's the quote you are mad about.

KiraXD

so... i didnt think id have enough money to pick this up for a few weeks.....but

I GOT IT!!!!! IM STOKED!!! MIDNIGHT MF'ers!!!! go!

erawsd

I don't know about anyone else, but I had zero expectations going into the beta. I'm still not 100% sure what the game is about, but playing the beta was the thing that sealed the deal for me.

I haven't watched any trailers or anything either, not a huge fan of the halo franchise. But there's something about this game that speaks to me that has nothing to do with hype.

Same here. I'm not a big Halo fan and I didn't have much expectation for the game. I checked out the beta because of the hype and I had a blast with it, so here I am.

biteren

My work here is done.
Popeyes-Chicken-Charlottesville-Pic2.jpg

now i HAVE to have pizza nd chicken for midnight launch

extra crispy

Expectations weren't raised by anyone but Bungie and the media outlets giving us stories about all these wonderful locations and things to do. It is not the player's fault that "we can go there, but in the interest of time" or "we could go there, but we don't want to go backwards" meant "its just horizon geometry, it won't be explorable in the game".

Don't blame the player for the hype train pulling out of the station. That first push is always done by the media, publisher, Dev, etc. We are just all along for the ride somebody else set in motion.

This is also not even close to being true. The reception of Destiny was highly critical and skeptical until a large group of players actually got to play the Alpha. Then those players began talking about how much they enjoyed the game.

Before that point everyone was criticizing the marketing and the gameplay videos as being too similar and not clarifying what the game was.

Fehyd

Banned
Few more hours and I'll be heading down to the Gloucester MA store to queue.

Any idea what they do if you have a pick up at store order?

kiguel182

Well, now I'm hungry as fuck. Time to leave the thread.

Hope everyone gets to play the game soon and love it since it's awesome!

Good night everyone!

So I am trying to redeem my download code for destiny on PS4 and I'm getting an error saying that the code is either invalid or already used.

Anyone else having problems redeeming codes on the US PSN right now or is it just me?

What type of code is it? USually if it is cosmetic dlc or something it doesnt go live till launch.

teokrazia

I didn't like almost at all the beta on PS3, and PS4 ATM has not enough games of my interest.
I've just bought a White PS4 Destiny Bundle.
It makes sense, right?

I'm such hype whore^^

Hey look! It's the "GAF Hype Cycle™!"

1. New Game Announced

2. Mixed Reactions i.e. "Wow. Anything they do impressed but this.. Wow." or "Retread. I've seen it before. Not impressed. Meh."

3. Alpha, Beta, Gaming Press Previews Release: "Believe the hype!"

4. OT comes out. Everyone is frantically hyped. "Day. Fucking. Zero. Can't even sleep."

5. Day before release, a few naysayers who have gotten it early aren't fans of it, everyone sounds the alarms. "I knew it. I just knew it." "Pre-order cancelled." "Disappointment of the generation."

6. Game releases. Those who like it continue to play and enjoy. Those who didn't start a thread a month or so after release titled similarly to "Was ____ a failure/flop?"

C'mon guys. It's Destiny. It's Bungie. It's amazing. Stay hyped.

Someone make an image of the cycle for future use. I would but I don't have the talent.

I love that people still think at 3:00amEST they will be able to play.

I mean I am hopeful and will def. wake up at 2:00am CST to check but am pretty reserved to maybe playing when I get home

Deku Tree

Today I re-learned a lesson about a bird in a hand being better than two in a bush.

Short version, cancelled the Amazon order so I could pick one up the PS4 bundle in person today. Only to find every store in my area is sold out of their allotment for launch. Re-ordered from Amazon but it will be a few days before it arrives. D'oh.

The silver lining is I'm wrapping up a massive project at home and would barely have time to touch the game until the end of this week, when it's now scheduled for delivery. So it might actually reduce my stress levels a bit to have the free time.

It does mean I'll be on blackout from the thread for longer, though.

Way to look at the bright side! Good luck with your shed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom