• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT| Home of Frabjous Guardians

Status
Not open for further replies.

DjRalford

Well no server crash, no being booted off, just 1.5hrs of awesomeness, now time for bed, see you in 4 days gaf when I've finished work!

MMaRsu

Are we sure that raid bosses won't? Seems counterproductive to have a huge long raid like that, that you can save progress and come back to if none of it drops guaranteed loot until the end.

But there is just one raid. So just one mission where the bosses drop loot, MAYBE.

broony

OK that's it, I'm going to bed. This launch has been horrible. Can't believe I stayed up late for this. Thanks for nothing, Bungie.
Strange, everything worked flawlessly for me. Unlocked immediately at 12 uk time, downloaded update quickly, played through first three missions without issue. Closed the app a couple of times and signed back in straight away.

Hope your experience is better tomorrow.

sjay1994

People really don't understand the atomic shitstorm if ms and sorny opened the DL versions at midnight est in na? And no one shows up at the Oregon best buy because they've been playing it for three hours already?

And then best buy stops selling video games?

Don't blame sorny or ms. It's the retailers. It's the Stone Age system of physical media grabbing on to the future from the grave, bony fingers never ceasing it's grasp of the fast fleeing leg of progress.

Thats bullshit.

There is an ebgames 5 minutes away from me. I pre ordered the game digitally so I don't need to go to a store at midnight. Now I have to wait an extra 3 hours even though the game is out physically.

The game should go live according to midnight of the countries time. If you are in EST it goes live midnight EST, and if you are in PST it goes live for PST when its midnight there.

Now you are just fucking over people in the EST

KevinG

Why are so many people being so negative about the game? I'm seeing more downers than people being hyped in here. I should have left the thread when I said I would earlier. It's only gotten worse as the day progressed.

I really don't get the complaints about the story being weak. No loot-centric game has ever had a quality narrative. 10 Hours in and nobody cares about why you're shooting aliens in the face, you only care about what sweet new gear they're gonna drop.

This isn't Halo. It's never going to be Halo. It's a Sci-Fi FPS with a focus on loot and cooperative gameplay. If you're expecting Halo, prepare to be disappointed.

ITTP: Halo is the only game with a good story.

Just because people were expecting a good story doesn't mean they were "expecting this to be Halo"
th_RollingEyesSmiley5.gif

I have no idea if the story is good or not though cause I haven't heard many impressions on it or played it myself

Is this thread where we can get emotional support if we bought the digital version and wont be able to play till 3am EST?

Yes. If this was a normal launch I'd be super psyched right now, getting some finger food cooked up, drinking some beer. Instead, I'm thinking about going to bed early...fucking boring. Probably the last game I buy digital. No reason to give up resale to be treated like a second rate fan.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
This is what I was hoping for but after watching some streams it seems its not.

The loot isn't anywhere near as cool as D3's. And there isnt as much of it either.

Both problems D3 had at launch. If it's really all that bad I'd expect them to fix it.

And I really don't know if it is cause in most games like D3 you see one or two truly badass "legendaries" or whatever they want to call them before max level. Hard to tell with the little endgame I've seen.

Tsukumo

does anyone know if the game restrict players to a single country? I'm in Italy and I thought I would meet European players but there is only Italians in the Tower. There's like 5 or 6 players! It's disheartening, the place is fucking deserted.
Console (XB1) is set on English and UK, but I bought the game on the Italian store.

So I'll be able to play this thing right when I get home from the midnight launch, right? Or will I have to wait for servers to go active or something?

I'm in US/CAN central time by the way.

the timezone thing is bullshit. If that was really the case.

If'we're waiting on "bungie time" on EST why isn't everyone waiting on Bungie time? What would be the issue with having the servers up for those on the EST?

So now I'm 3 hours behind the physically copy of the game, which seems to be a disadvantage to me buying it digitally, not to mention not being able to trade it in, No price difference in exchange for what? Not having to swap disc?

I'm fucking pissed.

/rant

Because North America is a single region with multiple time zones. Blame the people who invented time zones I guess. I don't think they envisioned a future where people could get things instantaneously across large geographical areas. They figured things would always be like the new dalliance by mr. Charles dickens, and no one could read it until the ship dropped off the latest chap, and those gold miner towns out in the Dakotas had to wait, hands clasped, at the door of Charlie Utter and Freight, for weeks, until wagon up and dropped of a crate of their own copies. And they'd read it that night.

And then the waiting began anew.

Shoeless

Thats bullshit.

There is an ebgames 5 minutes away from me. I pre ordered the game digitally so I don't need to go to a store at midnight. Now I have to wait an extra 3 hours even though the game is out physically.

The game should go live according to midnight of the countries time. If you are in EST it goes live midnight EST, and if you are in PST it goes live for PST when its midnight there.

Now you are just fucking over people in the EST

This is the part of this specific title launch that confuses me. This isn't a "system-wide" policy, at least not for Sony. They launched the digital copy of The Last of Us at midnight, EST, and EA has clearly labelled Dragon Age: Inquisition as also unlocking at midnight EST. The only thing I can think of is that Activision insisted on a PST unlock since neither Sony nor EA seem opposed to the idea with their own titles.

raphanum

Anybody from AU want the free 1 month trial for ps+ that comes with Destiny? I don't need it, nor am I eligible to ever use it.
Maybe not appropriate for this thread.

ITTP: Halo is the only game with a good story.

Just because people were expecting a good story doesn't mean they were "expecting this to be Halo"
th_RollingEyesSmiley5.gif

I don't even think Halo has that great of a narrative, honestly. Just an easy comparison to make for obvious reasons.

I don't expect it to have the narrative quality of Last Of Us either, for that matter.

Kud Dukan

So I'll be able to play this thing right when I get home from the midnight launch, right? Or will I have to wait for servers to go active or something?

I'm in US/CAN central time by the way.

If you have a physical copy, you can be playing right now. Digital copies are the ones that have to wait (for some reason).

Trace

Banned
" I rushed through the game as quickly as possible, didn't so any side missions or strike missions or raids or PVP. Feels like the game lacks content! "

"I spent roughly 5 hours playing the game, and one hour writing this review so that I could be the first one out there! Also let me give this a really low score so I can get a lot of clicks for my website!"

sjay1994

This is the part of this specific title launch that confuses me. This isn't a "system-wide" policy, at least not for Sony. They launched the digital copy of The Last of Us at midnight, EST, and EA has clearly labelled Dragon Age: Inquisition as also unlocking at midnight EST. The only thing I can think of is that Activision insisted on a PST unlock since neither Sony nor EA seem opposed to the idea with their own titles.

But the servers are live!

A PST lock would make sense if the servers went up at midnight PST.

Meh. I'm still excited to hop on at 3am(such bullshit for us east coast peeps)...if this game doesn't have the legs, welp a new Borderlands will be ready to steal away my life in a matter of weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom